This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl

This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  4,800 ratings  ·  873 reviews
A collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. Photographs and essays by family and friends will help to tell Esther’s story along with an introduction by award-winning author John Green who dedicated his #1 bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars to her.
Published January 28th 2014 by Dutton Juvenile (first published January 1st 2014)

Lori
What can I say? Esther, your writing is wonderful, funny, sad, poignant, silly, and more…Reading your words is like listening to you. Hearing your voice would be better, but having your words is good too. To your "I love you" I respond the way we did many nights as I tucked you into bed: "I love you more."
Allison
Dear Esther,
I just finished reading your published book. Yeah, that's right! Your dream of becoming an author has come true. I feel so honored to be a part of that goal. I woke up at 8:30 this morning to buy this book. I went in and bought the book as soon as the doors opened. (They hadn't even put the book out on display yet!) I felt honored to be one of the first to hold this in my hand.
I am amazed at your outlook on life and death. I've never been spiritual or religious, so death is kinda fe...more
Farah
Apr 03, 2013 Farah marked it as get-released-now
Recommends it for: Nerdfighters
Shelves: nerdfighters, dftba

I just know that this book will be beautiful, exceptional, and of course, awesome!
It's sad to mention that I didn't actually know Esther when she was alive. I discovered all the Nerdfighter awesomeness when I read The Fault in Our Stars in September of 2012. It has been an amazing experience to be a nerdfighter!
Like I said, I didn't actually know her but when I read about her and saw some of her uploaded videos, I couldn't help but feel the immense loss that everyone who knew her felt when she d...more
April
I know it’s cliché to say this, but I truly have never been more thrilled to receive a book in the mail. Esther is up there with J. K. Rowling and Evanna Lynch on my list of supreme role models. I’ve never spoken to Esther, but the way her friends, family, and even those like me speak about her is inspiring. She passed away from thyroid cancer when she was my age, sixteen. In those sixteen years, she left a legacy of a loving, caring, and empathetic person. In the words of her friend Teryn, “Est...more
Lynda
esther
ESTHER GRACE EARL
3 August 1994 - 25 August 2010
[16 years]

Many readers have had the pleasure of reading The Fault in Our Stars by the very talented author, John Green. John actually dedicated his book
TO ESTHER EARL
and in his acknowledgments stated
"Esther Earl, whose life was a gift to me and many."
After reading both the dedication and acknowledgement, I was intrigued to find out just who Esther Earl was. It did not take me long to learn that Esther (meaning "Star") was a phenomenal young lad...more
The Girl in the Orange
So.
So.
How do I review this?
So, first off, this is really an Important Book. I mean it. It has a lot to say on the nature of life and death, humanity and sickness, and is really, really, real. I think you should definitely read it.
But, in terms of literary merit..? I was disappointed. It wasn't really the heartbreaking prose I was expecting. It reads like a 400-page eulogy; in memory of a beautiful girl, yes, but not exceptional on its own. Esther-the-person is who lends life to the narrative,...more
Michelle Lynne Widmann
So, like most people, I picked up This Star Won't Go Out because "she's the girl who had some influence on The Fault in Our Stars". And the introduction by John Green made me tear up. That's the only reason I gave it two stars.

The story was inspirational, sure, but I just wasn't entirely "wowed" by her story. The way I see it, if you're getting a book, you have to have something worth reading about, and I found myself skipping segments because I just didn't really /care/. It was quite cool how e...more
Mitch Cave
Mar 28, 2013 Mitch Cave marked it as to-read
This will be such a beautiful, beautiful book.

For those of you who don't know who Esther Earl is, she was a Nerdfighter who died of cancer in 2010. John Green wrote 'The Fault in Our Stars' in dedication and memory of her.
Valerie
This will forever be so surreal. Gratitude and sadhappiness always. I love you Esther.
Matt
2/5

Time for me to be a douche about the "girl with cancer book." I'm not actually, but some will think so from my opinion.

The thing is, this book isn't quite what I expected, and something wasn't sitting right with me about the book as a symbol. Halfway through I formed my opinion as to why. I'll explain.

This states most of my case:

The gripes of the above reviewer mirror most of my concerns but there's more to it than that. I have another beef with the pub...more
kari
Apr 29, 2014 kari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Prepare to shed some tears with this one.
The story of Esther Grace Earl's too-short life is beautifully contained with these pages. There are journal entries, transcripts of some internet conversations, commentary from her parents and friends, drawings.
What struck me as a reader is that Esther sounds like just an ordinary girl, musing about the things teenage girls think about coupled with some very deep thoughts about life or the loss of her life and what she has and possibly will miss out on...more
Manar
I have to admit that I'm biased, but I thought this book was fantastic. I wish so badly that I still had the option of talking to Esther whenever I wanted, but at least I can read her beautiful words at any time.
Kitty
Just a note: I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway. Thanks Penguin!
"But even in her final days, Esther was wholly alive, as alive as anyone else, and so even though everyone who loved her understood she was dying, her death was still a terrible shock to me. She did not leave slowly, but all at once, because even when she could not get out of bed, she found ways to be fully alive: to play with her friends, to crack jokes, to love and to be loved. And then she was gone, all at once." -John Green's i...more
Tina
Aug 31, 2013 Tina marked it as to-read
Shelves: reviewed
AHHHHHHHHH ♥
A guaranteed fact: This book will be beautiful.
Possibly even life changing.

After all, the death of this girl caused the Green brothers (Hank and John Green) to start the This Star Won't Go Out Foundation in her memory.

I'm sure this will be another tearjerker. I love tearjerkers.

Update August 31

Yes, I am aware that I'm mildly late for this but we have a cover! And what a lovely cover it is !! Only five months left to wait!
Sadie
I...wow. Okay, this is going to be difficult.

I mean I'm sure no one is going to see this anyway, because who honestly reads Review #3469, but I'm going to do this anyway.

The thing is, for a very brief time, I was the cancer girl. I was the one with a scarf instead of hair, I was the one with a skinny, chemo-ravaged body, I was the one who was bedridden. And as I start to tell my own story on paper, I gradually start to reach out for other people. People who understand what it feels like to be dy...more
Beverly
I rarely take the time to review books, mostly because I don't tend to have super interesting things to say, but this is different. I had the pleasure of meeting Esther via Skype at Infinitus 2010 and it is something that I will never forget. Cancer is a tough subject for me, as my dad passed away from cancer in April 2010. Meeting Esther just a couple of months later was both hard and touching but I was immensely impressed with how well she dealt with her illness. A year after Esther passed awa...more
Zoë
This really was a beautiful book. Esther Earl is so real and talented in her entries, letting the reader see what she is really going through. Of course she isn't perfect, but that's the great thing. No one in this book said that Esther was infallible, just a good person.
Melanie
I don't think any words will do justice for how powerful, emotional and important this book is. I might do a review once I calm down.
Tt (Never Ending Stories Book Blog)
5 bazillion stars. I will make it a tradition to read this every year.
Alyal ~Spectacular Selia's Friendie~
This book has changed my life. I used to think TFIOS or LFA were my favorite books ever- NOT AT FREAKING ALL. And even though those books are amazing and touching, they are fictional. I've never admitted this but it's true. LIES. AUGUSTUS WATERS AND HAZEL GRACE LANCASTER AND ALASKA AND EVERYONE ELSE NEVER EXISTED. But this girl did. Her name is Esther Grace Earl. She had cancer. What else was she? A person. A real, living, amazing freaking person. She was a Potterhead, Nerdfighter and Whovian. H...more
Lizz
This was one of my first non-fiction/biography book in awhile. I was surprised and completely heartbroken by John Green’s opening, it was so sweet, and it set the mood for the book, hopeful, but sad. And in a way you know how the book ends because she has passed away, but in this book you get to experience her life. You get to see what’s inside her head, and I was surprised by it.

Throughout the book there were many “guest” speakers/writers throughout the story, it wasn’t just Esther. From her p...more
Holly (Holly's Reading Hollow)
This review and many others can be found on my blog: Holly's Reading Hollow

Pre-read:

Oh, I cannot wait to read this book! <3

DFTBA

Post-read review:

Sometimes I wonder how I could possibly consider myself a writer when I cannot express even my deepest feelings through text. Every passage of Esther’s story stirred something within me that I cannot quite put into words. But as always, I shall try.

Esther was an ordinary girl. An ordinary girl who was diagnosed with, battled, and lost to thyroid can...more
NCPL Teenzone
Why I picked up the book: "The Fault in Our Stars" is dedicated to Esther Earl. Since I love TFIOS but John has said Hazel isn't Esther, I wanted to know more about this girl.

Why I finished it: I found it very interesting to learn how Esther cultivated such meaningful friendships over the Internet and how she influenced and loved those around her.

I'd give it to: fans of TFIOS and others who liked "Rachel's Tears", teen and adults looking to see how someone who liked with cancer for three years...more
Paul Huber
This book is so beautiful! its cool that I was able to learn some new things about esther and see her struggle from a different perspective. she really speaks out from the pages and it just makes me miss her and really really want to talk to her again
Mikayla Tewksbury
This book was honestly one of the most incredible and personal things I've ever read. I wish I got to know Esther in her short time on this earth, as she was such an incredible girl. She impacted the Nerdfighteria community in such a huge way, and this star certainly will NEVER go out. <3
Cameron
This was tough to get through without getting the pages wet with my tears. I'll have a full review up here soon.
Jessica
I have been a Nerdfighter since almost the beginning (mid-2007), and so it makes sense that I would read this book that John Green has mentioned multiple times and for which he wrote the introduction. But I would not have finished it if it weren't a book club read, and even then I almost abandoned it.

This is not so much a "book" as it is a giant collection of everything related to Esther Earl -- her diary entries, her family's CaringBridge updates, transcripts of some of her videos, reflections...more
Mason Deaver
I'd never known much about Ester Earl. I knew she was a girl who died young of cancer, I knew she was friends with John Green and a big part of the Nerfighter community, and I know The Fault In Our Stars was dedicated and inspired by her, so I jumped at the chance to read this book.
Let me tell you that you will not find a more heart-warming, tear-jerking story.
After a wonderful introduction by both John Green and Esther's parents Wayne and Lori we begin the touching story of Esther, her advent...more
Mckinlay
Esther was simply amazing and awesome. I'm so glad her parents decided to let the world know just how truly awesome she was by releasing this book. It was life changing. I may never recover, in a good way. :)
C.S.
My sister died when I was a sophomore in high school. She was only a few years older than me and her battle with cancer took up much of her young life. Her loss left a hole in the hearts of my brothers and sisters that we still feel to this day. She was the bravest person I know and I truly believe that every ounce of bravery and compassion I have in my body I learned from her. I miss her terribly.

I was afraid to read this book. I read the introduction by John Green and started crying. 30 years...more
What are you reading this weekend? 11 60 Jul 16, 2014 08:37PM
  • Hidden Girl: The True Story of a Modern-Day Child Slave
  • Double On-Call and Other Stories
  • Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek
  • My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
  • Vivian Versus the Apocalypse (Vivian Apple, #1)
  • One of Us: Conjoined Twins and the Future of Normal
  • Bird
  • The Scar Boys
  • Just Don't Fall: How I Grew Up, Conquered Illness, and Made It Down the Mountain
  • The Isobel Journal
  • Everything Leads to You
  • Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief & Sinister
This Star Won't Go Out 9-Copy Fd W/ Riser

“I do hope that when the day comes, whether in 1, 10, or 100 years, I don’t want you to think of me and feel sad.” 89 likes
“Isn’t it sad that so often it takes facing death to appreciate life and each other fully?” 78 likes