Start by marking “Something Good” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,551 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
“Something good” is exactly what Tyya, Andrew and Julie want to put into their shopping cart. Tyya’s dad won’t buy anything good at the store—no ice cream, no candy, no cookies. But when the saleslady puts a price sticker on Tyya’s nose, Daddy is finally forced to buy something good.

This ebook features read-along narration by the author as well as music and sound effects.
Published April 2nd 2013 by Annick Press (first published February 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Something Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Good

Madison
Tyya went shopping with her family. Tyya gets her own cart and loads it up with 100 boxes of ice cream. Her father does not let her buy the sugary junk. While she is putting it back, she passes the candy section and puts in 300 chocolate bars in the cart. Her father says no. Her father tells Tyya to not move while he finishes his grocery shopping. A lady puts a price tag on Tyya’s nose and put her on the shelf with all of the other dolls. A man wants to buy her for $29.95. Then, a lady wants to ...more
Natasha
It's ok

Not one of my favorites but my 5 year old daughter thought it was funny. Happy Munsch books are on kindle unlimited.
Amy
Mar 11, 2017 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite classic Munsch books from my childhood. I've been reading it (and Mortimer) everyday last week to the kids at daycare and they love it. Munsch has a way with words that make his stories so entertaining and captivating to little listeners and adults alike.
Connie
Jul 26, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Munsch writes some weird books, that's for sure. I've read several of them, and the common thread is "this book is really over-the-top and weird".

Little kids think they're hysterical.

As an adult, I'm torn between "Yup, hysterically funny" and being a little concerned about some of the unfortunate implications of what's going on.

In this one, a little girl keeps trying to get her dad to get junk instead of food, and he tells her no, of course. He's so mad he tells her to stand still, and sh
David
Feb 11, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Something Good by Robert N. Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko, is another offbeat look at family interactions. Tyra thinks her Dad never buys anything good at the grocery store. She wants good food: ice cream, candy, or cookies. Dad says No, and after she trys to buy hundreds of containers of ice cream or chocolate bars, he tells her: "You stand here and DON'T MOVE!" Standing very still, she's mistaken for a doll and put on the shelf with a $29.95 price sticker on her nose. After nearly ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Robert Munsch
Age Range: 4 - 7 years
Grade Level: Preschool and up
Series: Annikins
Paperback: 24 pages
Publisher: Annikins (January 1, 1995)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1550373900
ISBN-13: 978-1550373905

This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read. http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

Everyone has been to the supermarket. If you don't have kids yourself, you know how kids act. They want what they think is good food, candy, ice cream, and soda. Robert Munsch is the perfect picture book writer
Erika Arechiga
Nov 29, 2013 Erika Arechiga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tyya simply wants some good food. Her father only buys gross food, according to her. She decides to put some good food, but unhealthy, into the family's cart. She stacks carton of ice cream and loads of candy bars, until her father's had enough. He tells her to stand still. Tyya does such a good job that employees at the store thinks she is a doll, so they put a price tag on her. Customers try to buy her until her dad finds her. One of the cashiers will not let him leave with Tyya until he pays ...more
Evette
Something Good by Robert N. Munsch. This story is about Tyya that went shopping with her family. Tyya gets her own cart and loads it up with 100 boxes of ice cream. Her father does not let her buy the sugary junk. While she is putting it back, she passes the candy section and puts in 300 chocolate bars in the cart. Her father says no. Her father tells Tyya to not move while he finishes his grocery shopping. A lady puts a price tag on Tyya’s nose and put her on the shelf with all of the other dol ...more
Keani Meier
Nov 23, 2014 Keani Meier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 307, children-books
Something Good by Robert Munsch
Tyya and her family went shopping, but they didn’t by any good stuff. So Tyya got a cart and grabbed tons candy and ice cream. Her dad was not happy. He told Tyya to stand right there next to the dolls and not to move. So she did. But store manager thought she was a doll and gave her a price tag. Than people wanted to buy her. Tyya Screamed. Her dad came back, Tyya was mad. They went to go pay. Tyya still had a price tag on her nose and her dad had to pay. Tyya was
Joan
I must first admit that I may be over thinking this book. I understand the premise and message, however, I would not recommend to or buy this book for someone. If the father would have said, "You are priceless...," versus forking out $29.95 for her, I would have felt better about the book. And yes...here comes the over thinking part. I can't help but be concerned about 2 main things: children worry too much about their "value" to others as it is and at a time of heightened awareness of human tra ...more
Andrea Antinori
Summary: Something Good is about a young girl, Tyya, who goes to the store with her dad. She wants him to buy "good" food, and keeps putting junk food in the cart. Her dad gets mad, and tells her "not to move", and people think that she is doll!

Review: I laughed all through this book! It is a silly, well-written book, that children love! The large numbers that Munsch uses really add to the humor.

Connection Text: Smelly Socks by Robert Munsch

Quote: "So Tyya put back the one hundred boxes of ice c
Ty O'Brien
Apr 12, 2015 Ty O'Brien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Osmfmly
Aug 17, 2010 Osmfmly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, favorites
This is one of my family's favorite by Munsch. We find his stories particularly humorous due to the mixture of real life settings and over the top responses. My teens have also shared this story in American Sign Language and it never fails to have everyone laughing!

Every child needs to know they are loved and of 'worth' by their parents. How better to show it than to place the price tag on their nose?
Dolly
Dec 30, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a silly story about a man who ends up paying for his daughter at the store. While the narrative is fun, the theme of grabby, greedy children at the grocery store is one that most parents can relate to. Our girls enjoyed watching the story on the Tumblebooks website. (www.tumblebooks.com)
Lana Clifton
Tyya makes mischief for her father at the supermarket. She tries to persuade her father into buying "something good"-- however her father's idea of "something good" does not include sugar and spice and everything nice until he finds his daughter with a price tag on her nose. A very funny read, written by a school teacher who knows how to make children laugh. (Kindergarten-First Grade)

Lesley Looper
The illustrations are colorful, but little Tyya putting up with having a price tag put on her seems out of character, after she's had the audacity to fill a couple of shopping carts with ice cream and chocolate bars. Hmmm.
Leah
Jan 10, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, teachers, anyone
A fun book for families at story time. A classic I was lucky to read as a child. As fun for parents as it is for kids. Timeless.
Alicia
Sep 16, 2008 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, picture-book
Gosh, I love this book. First, I love the drawings and second, I love the ending. I just find it so amusing.
Becca Dunlap
Sep 08, 2011 Becca Dunlap rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Tyya's father never buy's anything good until one day a miscommunication with his daughter lands her on the sale's rack. It is a great book to help illustrate the importance of communication.
Toriamae
Sep 01, 2008 Toriamae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kids ever throw a tantrum in the grocery store? Or make a mess? Or insist that you buy them something that just isn't on the list? This is a great book for you and them!
babyhippoface
Munsch is always good for a laugh. While this isn't his best, read it out loud to a group of 2nd graders, and you've got a hit.
Michelle
Oct 16, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, funny, 2012
Super cute and sweet. Could use it to discuss nutrition with young ones. I really liked the ending.
Tim Schraad
Feb 24, 2016 Tim Schraad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny little story. I think every kid dreams of filling up a cart like the Tyya did, personally my mother has had me stay in place like that but I don't think I ever was put up for sale.
Stacy Vance
Mar 06, 2013 Stacy Vance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robert-munch
Great story to read. My kids loved it.... They loved the illustrations!
C-chan
Sep 23, 2012 C-chan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favourite Munsch book, but still a great children's book. :)
Liz
Sep 23, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
I kinda go through this while grocery shopping too. But it has a good reminder for all us parents.
Mason, Natalie & Oliver
Who doesn't love Robert Munsch books...they're always so much fun! I only wish I could read them like he does...
Cindy Torres
what a silly story !
but really who says no to ice cream ! thats a big no no in my books.

I love this story especially the ending when the father says shes worth more and buys her.
Deb Mankame
Apr 24, 2013 Deb Mankame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the first books asked for by name by one of my favorite kiddos, and I was the one who didn't get what she was asking for! Very cute book indeed.
Nathan
May 03, 2016 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, 2013
This is one of those picture books that gives you a warm feeling when it's over.
  • Jillian Jiggs
  • Red Is Best
  • Arthur's Honey Bear
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • If You Made a Million
  • Erandi's Braids
  • Jacob Two-Two and the Dinosaur
  • Just Shopping With Mom (Little Critter) (Pictureback(R))
  • The Berenstain Bears' Mad, Mad, Mad Toy Craze (First Time Books)
  • The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5)
  • Awake and Dreaming
  • Franklin and the Thunderstorm
  • 26 Letters and 99 Cents
  • Arthur's Pet Business (Arthur Adventure Series)
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...