Start by marking “After” as Want to Read:
After

After

Nina Baldwin’s perfect life unravels after she is diagnosed with breast cancer. As she struggles to remain a good wife and mother, her husband retreats into harrowing memories of his childhood in a family of Nazi sympathizers, and her awkward, extraordinary daughter sinks further into pre-teen misery. Isolated and afraid, Nina seeks escape in places she never imagined she ...more
Published January 2014 by Engine Books

To ask other readers questions about After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After

Sharon
Mar 05, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved everything about this book. I was fortunate to receive a signed copy as a goodreads
first read, and I couldn't put it down.

Kristin writes so fluently that you are able to completely lose yourself in the lives of these characters.
The sheer amount of detail, and the seemingly effortless descriptions leave you wondering how it was
possible to enable it all to flow so beautifully. Superbly constructed.

This novel will mirror many peoples lives. There was so much here that I recogn
Tracy
Feb 17, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
This is by far one of the best books I have read. This book was beautifully written with characters that you feel drawn to immediately. Kristin has a beautiful talent of telling a story and pulling the reader in. Well researched details flow beautifully in prose that has you feeling as if you are experiencing Nina's life right along with her...or at least enabling you to relate her life with yours.

Christina Mcdaniel
Jan 04, 2015 Christina Mcdaniel rated it it was amazing
Just beautiful. It's not surprising this author has a 10 year gap between this novel and her last one...,the amount of character development and research made me believe she lived inside the body of each and every one of her leading characters. Most impressive, however, is how she stepped into the mind of a gifted child out of touch with her age group and thinking deeper than most adults.
Julie
Jun 25, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I love Kristin's writing style, really enjoyed the flashbacks to Martin's youth. I worried the book would be too dark & depressing but instead it felt real,honest and true. I don't want to give anything away but the final scene with Nina I found incredibly comforting.
Stephanie
Feb 22, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written novel. Characters that I related to and cared about. I couldn't put down wanting to know what happened next to each one. Details in the book were obviously thoroughly researched and were integrated effortlessly into the prose. Enjoyed every page!
Sonja
Apr 18, 2014 Sonja rated it it was amazing
Good book. Easy to read. I like story very much. I like that all Nina, Martin and also Audrey were storytellers.
Alida
Alida rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Maegan Wendt
Maegan Wendt rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Amy Sollod
Amy Sollod rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2016
Stephani
Stephani rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2015
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Holly Vine
Holly Vine rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Sara Besse
Sara Besse rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Courtney Mauk
Courtney Mauk rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Erin Daily
Erin Daily rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Marjorie
Marjorie rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Pipistrelle
Pipistrelle rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Mandy Sui
Mandy Sui rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Christopher Castellani
Christopher Castellani rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
  • Motherhood: Lost and Found
  • My Bright Shining Star: A Mother's True Story of Brilliance, Love and Suicide
  • Shot in the Head a Sister's Memoir, a Brother's Struggle
  • Love Child
  • Cutting the Soul: A Journey Into the Mental Illness of a Teenager Through the Eyes of His Mother
  • Sherry Goes Sane: Living a Life with Schizo-Affective Disorder
  • A Heart Deceived
  • The Vanishing Wife
  • Cloudbreak, California: A Memoir
  • Rani in Search of a Rainbow
Kristin Waterfield Duisberg has taught creative writing at Boston University and the Grub Street Writers Workshop in Boston. She has worked in professional communications for J.P. Morgan and Massachusetts General Hospital and currently is the editor of the UNH Magazine at the University of New Hampshire. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband, two children, and two exceedingly hairy golden ...more
More about Kristin Waterfield Duisberg...