Start by marking “The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #2)

The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When Shan was fifteen years old, dark soldiers came out of the west, like a cloud of evil boiling over the soft hills of his homeland. They commanded terrible beasts, which killed with hook claws like scythes and cold eyes that dripped icy fire. The soldiers wore helmets that looked like fiends, tusked and snarling and sneering.

The terrible consequences of war have left t
Published January 5th 2002 by Tor Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Crown of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crown of Silence

Nerine Dorman
Although the story lags about 3/4 of the way in, lovers of Western mysticism may well enjoy the skillful way Constantine brings in esoteric lore. As always, her descriptions are lush. At times I wanted to strangle Taropat for his stubborn behaviour.

A word of warning: If you were expecting Pharinet and Varencienne to be viewpoint characters with book two, be prepared to be disappointed.

I thoroughly enjoyed the way regular history is wound together in an completely fascinating mix.

Although it ca
Anastasia
Although this is the 2nd book in the Magravandias trilogy, I would actually recommend starting here. It is far more interesting than "Sea Dragon Heir," the storyline has more momentum and coherence, even though it jumps back and forth in time more. We first meet Shan, survivor of a brutal Magravandian attack that wiped out his village, as a recluse magician takes him on as an apprentice, to shape him into a tool to oppose Magravandians. Then about 1/2 the book is the story of the sorceror, Tarab ...more
Elizabeth Reuter
Book two of The Magravandias Chronicles continues showing us hero Valraven's development, and the kingdom of Magravandias's corruption, through the eyes of characters who would be sidekicks in most fantasy novels: Valraven's best friend Khaster, Khaster's apprentice Shan, and Khaster's lover Tayven.

Like with book one--which had me rushing to grab this book because I loved it so much--the sensual, evocative writing focuses on character's lives and attachments. Happenings like war, death, and mag
Jorge
Book two of The Chronicles of Magravandias is a good step lower in interest and narrative quality. The first half of the story is set in a completely different scenario than the previous book, with things finally making a bit of sense towards the middle of the narrative. And when I say a bit I mean it. We accompany a wizard, Taropat, first training his apprentice, Shan, and later embarking with him in a quest for a mythical crown, imbued with the power of the elements/dragons. And it’s pretty mu ...more
Kendra
Totally flips away from the main group in the first book, but does follow Khaster/Taropat and Tayven's story along with Merlan, and brings in a new important character, which will come together in the third and final book. Enjoyed the esoteric aspects, throughout, though the book didn't hold me as well. Took a couple of weeks to get through it.
Kay
Part two of the trilogy has a very different tone and the bigger picture of the story starts to be revealed. I enjoyed this less than the first book, but not by much! The direction has changed, new characters are introduced and more of the final destination starts to be clearer.
Frank Taranto
The second in the Chronicles of Magravandias trilogy takes us on a quest for the crown of silence, which can only be used properly by the true king.
The characters are all flawed and real people and the story is wonderfully complex.
Suzanne
all the blood, tears and semen I've come to expect from Constantine. Demanding and powerful book. I was completely invested.
Wiggle
I had no idea this was a volume 2 until I'd finished the book. I've never bothered to read the rest of the series.
Jenine
Jan 25, 2012 Jenine added it
Shelves: abandoned
It just occurred to me that the title is reminiscent of the Cone of Silence in Get Smart. Heh.
Jenni
Continuing story
Kristen
Kristen is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Sandra Poziomka
Sandra Poziomka is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
John Harris
John Harris marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Lisa Van
Lisa Van is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Shenan
Shenan marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
notyourmonkey
notyourmonkey marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Colin
Colin added it
Nov 30, 2014
Tülin
Tülin marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • Shards of Time (Nightrunner, #7)
  • The Third God
  • Dragon's Winter
  • The Belly of the Wolf (Lens of the World, #3)
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • Kings and Assassins (Antyre, #2)
  • The Tempering of Men (Iskryne World, #2)
  • By the Mountain Bound (The Edda of Burdens, #2)
  • Kirith Kirin
  • Shadow Magic (Havemercy #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Secret Books of Paradys, #3)
  • Buddies
Storm Constantine (b. 1956) is a British science fiction and fantasy author, primarily known for her Wraeththu series.

Since the late 1980s she has written more than 20 novels, plus several non-fiction books. She is featured in the Goth Bible and is often included in discussions of alternative sexuality and gender in science fiction and fantasy; many of her novels include same-sex relationships or
More about Storm Constantine...

The Chronicles of Magravandias (3 books)
  • Sea Dragon Heir (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #1)
  • The Way of Light (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #3)
Wraeththu The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit (Wraeththu, #1) The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure (Wraeththu Histories, #1) The Bewitchments of Love and Hate (Wraeththu, #2) The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire (Wraeththu, #3)