Start by marking “Dog Wizard” as Want to Read:
Dog Wizard

Dog Wizard (Windrose Chronicles #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,251 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Barbara Hambly returns to the story she started with The Silent Tower and The Silicon Mage, conjuring up all the magic, romance and danger her fans expect.
Published (first published December 23rd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Wizard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Wizard

Wealhtheow
Jan 09, 2014 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In our magicless world, Joanna and her friends have dreadful visions, and this summons the exiled wizard Antryg back to his home world. As the foremost expert on the Void, only he can solve the mystery of why gates between realities are opening at random within the mages' Citadel. But Antryg is hindered by mistrust and the geas binding his powers, and time is running out...

I was pleased to return to this universe and these characters. This isn't a perfect book: the plot gets a bit dogged down in
Jamie Collins
Aug 01, 2012 Jamie Collins rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love Hambly and this is well written, and if you liked the first two books then this is a nice follow-up. But it’s not really my kind of story. There’s too much magic, and I have never liked the mixing of magic with technology. The combination of mysticbabble and technobabble had me skimming some passages.

I like the characters and I was glad to see Joanna and Antryg again. I wish there had been more written about their life together in Los Angeles, either before or after the adventure depicted
Ron
Feb 01, 2013 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, maps, ebook
Better than I expected. Having completed her original story in the first two books, it was natural that this third book would almost stand alone. And is a better tale for it.

Map quibble. I love illustrations almost as much as maps. Why, then would the publisher insert a labeled illustration without the legend?

Technical note: most of the "me"s were rendered as "the"s, making reading really difficult.

Halfway through the book, the identity of the next Arch-mage was obvious. ;-)

Jennifer H
I think I liked this book better than the last because for most of it, Joanna was locked in a crystal and wasn't part of the story. I know, that's probably terribly un-girly of me, but her constant worry about loving or not loving Antryg was still annoying from the last book. Although, I have to admit that one of her laments did resonate with me - when she was worry about needing him and being afraid that that need would cause her to screw herself up for him or that she's not doing it right - no ...more
Sian Jones
Nov 15, 2015 Sian Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this series in the 90s, so this is a re-read review. I found the fantasy world of Ferryth to be a little to de rigueur this time through (twee names! Renaissance faire costumery!) -- though I admit as I was re-reading I found myself wondering if the reason I think this book uses too many standard white-European-fantasy tropes is because it's one of the books that *introduced* me to some of those white-European-fantasy tropes. I remember thinking it carried them off in a slightly mor ...more
Carol Wilde
Sep 23, 2015 Carol Wilde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this fantasy that follows the characters of Joanna and Antryg, introduced in the earlier books The Silent Tower and The Silicon Mage (sometimes packaged together under the title The Darkmage). Dog Wizard picks up where The Silicon Mage left off, but it’s something of a stand-alone since its conflict is relatively self-contained. There is continuity with the larger conflict arc in that Antryg is still a wanted criminal in his own world and this story takes you back there pretty quickly. ...more
Altivo Overo
Jan 29, 2015 Altivo Overo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy fiction who are willing to tackle something a little different
Shelves: fantasy
This is a sequel to two earlier books, The Silicon Mage and The Silent Tower, but it stands alone pretty well if you are willing to be patient to puzzle out the antecedents. I generally enjoy Hambly, and the writing is consistent with her other fantasy novels. Unlike the wider ranging Sun Wolf trilogy, this one takes place almost entirely within the Citadel, a single sprawling complex of buildings that is the home of a sort of college of wizards. The plot is suspenseful and complicated, with a s ...more
William Leight
Dec 08, 2015 William Leight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The two previous Windrose Chronicles sent our heroes tramping across the country in time-honored fantasy fashion, but for this one Hambly has decided to write something that bears a startling resemblance to a classic English country-house mystery instead. It does vary from the usual template, to be sure: instead of a country house we are (once we leave L.A. behind after a chapter or two) in the Citadel of Wizards. Naturally, then, the suspects are all wizards, as only someone with magical powers ...more
Allen Garvin
The bookclub edition I bought at Half Price Books has a particularly unappealing Darrell Sweet cover, I thought. This final Joanna & Antryg story is set about 4 months after the end of the previous 2-book cycle. It's more of an additional book in the same world than the conclusion of a trilogy. The plot is tight and exciting, but it mostly lacks the emotional edge of the earlier novels.
Katie Bee
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed the first two in the trilogy. Mostly this is because there is very little Joanna; oh, she's still a POV character, but she's locked up in a timeless lightless prison for 77% of the book, so her parts are quite claustrophobic and nothing happens. It's really a book all about Antryg and the Council, and as much as I like Archmage Min, she's not nearly enough to save it. The saga about Antryg and the complicated running-about trying to figure out what's ...more
Nov 27, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ugh! I had a great review going then I misclicked and lost it!

I was bored and chose a random book off my shelf. The challenge of reading Dog Wizard came because it was third in a trilogy and it's been a long time since I read it. I think I need to re-read my Barbara Hamblys.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy her books. They're thought-provoking. In this case, I found myself thinking a lot about the nature of geeks, nerds, and fears. How fears can keep us locked in a battle of non-acceptance and abou
Sineala
Mar 04, 2013 Sineala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't bother rereading this one when I reread the first two books of the series, so I've probably only read Dog Wizard two or three times. I gave it a try this time through and, well, there were nice things about it but I definitely remembered why I don't usually bother.

A few months after the events of The Silicon Mage, Antryg and Joanna have settled down in LA. Joanna is a freelance programmer now, and Antryg is bartending and fortunetelling, which is pretty much what he can do in a w
Lindsay Stares
Feb 04, 2013 Lindsay Stares rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Premise: Sequel to The Silent Tower and Silicon Mage. Joanna again returns to Antryg’s home dimension, but not willingly this time. Antryg follows in search of her, but he finds his former colleagues are less concerned with the fact that he’d escaped his death sentence than with who or what is causing severe disturbances in the Void. Disturbances that threaten to unhinge the world of magic, and trap both Antryg and Joanna between dimensions.

This is a tremendously misleading
cover, just FYI.
This b
Isis
May 02, 2016 Isis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
This is a bit of a tacked-on sequel to the first two books, which together tell a complete story, but it's fun to revisit the world(s) of the original. It feels a little like two different stories smushed together, since Joanna and Antryg are separate for most of the novel. I particularly enjoyed the pocket of other-world that intruded into Ferryth that let cats do magic - of course they'd make a mouse-illusion to chase!
Bob
Apr 05, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy this book even though it's storyline is a little chaotic. There's a strong sense that the main character are in completely out of their depth for most of the book. That makes for a strong sense of tension for characters who should be able to zap opposition into dust.
Tone-Britt Arnesen
Long awaited third instalment of the Windrose Chronicles, but sadly, it failed to captivate me as the first two did. So for me, the Windrose Chronicles is best as a duology, comprising the first two and excluding this one.
Michael Blackmore
Well, I wrapped up that trilogy and it was still a mixed bag for me. If there are more sequels, I'm definitely not there. Somehow it just never came together for me personally. Partly the lack of learning curve for some of the characters and too many patterns and behaviors repeated across the volumes.
Pam Baddeley
Oct 01, 2015 Pam Baddeley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
More or less standalone compared to the first two volumes. The bumbling affectations of the Antryg character and the stubborn bigotry of his enemies is rather wearing after three books.
Miriam
The third installment of the The Silicon Mage duo: not as closely tied in plot but you would probably get more out of it if you've read Silent Tower first. There is still plenty of wit and action here, and it was cool to see more getting done with the Void. I think the reason I didn't like this one as much as the first two was that the characters weren't together so the dynamic wasn't the same. Even Antryg can't carry all the witty banter on his own!
Sarah Corbine
Jan 24, 2016 Sarah Corbine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In typical me fashion, I read this book, the last in the trilogy, first.
Tracy
Feb 12, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Barbara Hambly, and this is one of my two favorite books by her.
Douglas Cook
Feb 26, 2015 Douglas Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to the Windrose series. enjoyable and nicely complex.
Christine Pope
Jun 25, 2014 Christine Pope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The other two books in this series are five-stars for me, but this one felt...forced? Almost as if the publisher wanted a third book to make a trilogy, so Hambly came up with this one. The writing was wonderful as always, but the plot was not nearly as engaging as the first two books in the series. Maybe it's just me, but I think it would have been more fun to see Antryg and Joanna coping with living in the "real world" rather than going back to the same fantasy kingdom that was the setting for ...more
Mike
Apr 22, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the dustjackets and other blurbs make this seem as if it tail-end Charlie, an after-thought by the author after finishing the two-part Silicon Mage storyline.
It. Is. Not.
This story stands very well by itself, a nice little magic-mystery-action-thriller (from before the days of PNR magic-mystery-action-thrillers. You may need the background of the previous two books to understand fully how the characters got where they are, but this is a good, good story on it's own merits.
Kris
Jun 09, 2011 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is the third book about Antrgy Windrose and it deals with the fall out from the first two books in his battle with his evil mentor Suraklin. Antrgy is once again plunged into a choatic mess with not knowing who he can trust and with an ever spiraling series of events that pose ever greater challenges. This is more of the stuff I like from Barbara Hambly, action, a great central character in Antrgy, and good dialogue. This is a fun read.
Bill
May 30, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First off: one of the worst cover mismatches for a book ever. Second: this book is not really a third in a series, but a sequel to a two-part book, and it shows. There's an expansion of description of the state of wizardry that creates a large, unnecessary inconsistency in the first two. I won't say she ruins her world while expanding it, but was annoying. This didn't hold up well on re-reading.
Nathan
Jan 19, 2012 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realise when I got this that it is actually the third book of a series, but the story seems self-contained enough. It's a hambly special: American gets involved with a wizard from another dimension and shenanigans ensue. But this one seemed to lack a purpose and seemed a little flat. Maybe if I'd read the first two I'd have a better feel for the characters and setting. Who knows? 2/5
Pkeets
Aug 08, 2013 Pkeets rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. I love the way Barbara Hambly makes here characters seem so alive and entertaining. It's part of a series that I've recently discovered, and I had to look for all of them. The characters struggle against the evils and problems within their own lives. They suffer losses, but managed to prevail in the end.
  • The Shadow Gate
  • Fever Season (Merovingen Nights, #2)
  • The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4)
  • The Deryni Archives
  • When the Changewinds Blow (Changewinds, #1)
  • Point of Knives (Astreiant, #1.5)
  • The Master (Time Master, #3)
  • The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)
  • The Last Book of Swords: Shieldbreaker's Story (Lost Swords, #8)
  • The Interior Life
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • Dark Powers (Sentinels, No 2)
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...

Windrose Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Silent Tower (Windrose Chronicles, #1)
  • The Silicon Mage (Windrose Chronicles, #2)
  • Stranger at the Wedding (Windrose Chronicles #4)