Start by marking “Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Montessori Play And Le...

Lesley Britton

Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
We all want the best possible starts in life for our children, and one of the best possible starts in life, educationally, is the "method" pioneered by Maria Montessori and taught successfully today throughout the world.

Now, Lesley Britton, the leading Montessori practitioner in England for more than twenty years, will show parents how to bring Montessori home. If you woul
Published December 29th 1992 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Montessori Play And Learn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Montessori Play And Learn

The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise BauerDumbing Us Down by John Taylor GattoA Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMilleHow to Read a Book by Mortimer J. AdlerHow Children Learn by John Holt
Best Homeschooling Books
175th out of 185 books — 259 voters
The Montessori Method by Maria MontessoriMontessori from the Start by Paula Polk LillardDr. Montessori's Own Handbook by Maria MontessoriThe Secret of Childhood by Maria MontessoriHow To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way by Tim Seldin
Best Books for Montessorians
26th out of 27 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
May 05, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Good reminder to let my kids have responsibility in living as part of a family and household. The more they are allowed to grow and help as a functional part of our home, the more I see them feel valued and proud of the home we create together.
Tova
Aug 30, 2015 Tova rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Montessori activities to support kids at home, whether or not they attend a Montessori school. There's even instructions for making some of the works that are available for purchase.
Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: education, 2008
This was a pretty good little book. It felt like it might have been aimed more for parents who are doing montessori at home rather than supporting montessori at home for children who go to montessori school. There were lots of games and activities that we probably would never have time to do.

There was some good stuff on how to arrange rooms but if you don't do traditional room arrangments (i.e. we don't keep any toys in JD's room) it would need to be adapted.

I wish there had been a little more
Alisha
Sep 06, 2012 Alisha rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish, 2012
Super unimpressed in Montessori. I suppose all education has theory without research to it, but I thought Montessori was based on research and apparently it's not at all (though it does coincide with modern research at times, according to the book). Also, I thought the games were weird and contrived. Wholly unimpressed. I imagine it makes for fine preschool, but no way am I going to do this at home when we could be doing something fun instead.
Angela
Aug 18, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
Borrowed this from the library, and then bought it for my shelf. Great recommendations for activities for kids 2-5. A whole preschool "curriculum" if you want it to be; there was a very informative, brief introduction to Montessori and the theory behind the method, a nice "Ages & Stages" Chart with physical/emotional/social skills development, and very nice suggestions for how to plan/set up your home so your kids are part of it!
Mary
Jun 24, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
The Montessori method is really very common sense and practical. Its a great guideline for teaching any child. The activities were what interested me the most. They are very visually based and that works exceptionally well for kids on the Autism Spectrum. Looking forward to putting some of them to use!
Jamie
Jun 26, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! It's an excellent overview of the whys and hows of the Montessori method for preschoolers. I'd recommend it especially to parents with children between the ages of six months and four years old! Very, very good resource.
Brandielle
Feb 11, 2012 Brandielle marked it as couldn-t-get-through
I wish Montessori books would spend less time telling me how to organize my house and more time on the simple learn and play games they advertize.
AJ Conroy
Nov 27, 2012 AJ Conroy rated it did not like it
The author seems to assume that parents are morons with advice like, hang bath toys in the tub so that they don't drip in the tub. Gee, thanks.
Ruth
Jun 04, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Descriptions of Montessori games were easy to understand, and pictures helped illustrate them. I came away with a few ideas I can actually implement.
Jessica
Aug 18, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Great ideas, easily incorporated into one's lifestyle. Practical and succinct; perfect for a busy parent.
Jill
Jul 28, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing
This has some really great ideas for implementing Montessori methods in your everyday routing.
Meredith Henning
Jan 04, 2008 Meredith Henning rated it liked it
Good Montessori overview with lots of pictures for activities and how to pout them together!
Sabrina
Dec 26, 2009 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I love reading these books about children and different ideas of teaching/raising kids!
Emily
Feb 23, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
This was a good basic intro to Montessori, but I wanted a bit more information.
Eine
Apr 04, 2009 Eine rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Very practical, you can apply all the example at home for your children
Cathy
May 29, 2008 Cathy rated it really liked it
nice intro to Montessori methods at home
Sarah Tawfik
Sarah Tawfik marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Zaki Rucker
Zaki Rucker rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Sooy10
Sooy10 added it
Jun 20, 2016
Tammy
Tammy rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Claudia Cuesta
Claudia Cuesta marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Tracy Kubert
Tracy Kubert rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Firuza
Firuza rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Wendy Imura
Wendy Imura rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Darlene Blanton
Darlene Blanton marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Eri Morales
Eri Morales rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Erin Stalzer
Erin Stalzer marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius
  • Learning All The Time
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Basic Montessori: Learning Activities For Under-Fives
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Leadership Education: The Phases of Learning
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • The Absorbent Mind
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Nighttime Parenting (Revised): How to Get Your Baby and Child to Sleep
  • Kid Cooperation: How to Stop Yelling, Nagging, and Pleading and Get Kids to Cooperate
  • Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers