Start by marking “Friends of Choice (Wings from Ashes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Friends of Choice (Wings from Ashes, #1)

Read eBook* *Different edition

Friends of Choice (Wings from Ashes #1)

Karla trusts anyone who will befriend her. This is just the way she is. But should she really be so trustful in this Teen Contemporary about deceit and being taken advantage of?

Karla has lived in the same home since she was born. She has a fit when she learns that her parents have made the decision to move to a new town without consulting her. She figures that she should h
ebook
Published September 17th 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published July 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Friends of Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends of Choice

Sue Morris
This YA novel is about the loss of friendship when life takes you to different parts of the world. Kayla's parents move her "a few towns away," though it feels more like just the other side of the mall. She leaves behind her three best friends and her school. Kayla, like any teen, is not happy with moving away from everything she knows, but Dad has a better job in this new town. Kayla can be a surly teen during this time and has problems in her relationship with mom, an alcoholic with a temper.

O
Emily
Jun 24, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast pace story and I almost wish there was a little more from the other side than the few small sections there was. Just to show the cruelty and deceptiveness that has come to grasp our young adults. It's a very accurate and sometimes disappointing betrayal of how the teen girls and guys of generations have come to be. Down right vindictive and cruel for no other reason than they can be. It's a very good story with a touching moral and proof that you need to be sure of what you want ...more
Kaitlyn
Feb 06, 2013 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was one of many good books I have read it shows kids that its wrong to do drugs or make someone else do them
Laurie Carlson
Friends of Choice by Linda Nelson – REVIEW

I thought the author had a nice, easy style of writing, good for young adults to follow and stay engaged. This author also caught the main character’s teenage, whiney, true-to-life ‘angst’ teenagers have against their parents, in particular, her mother. The author hit the nail on the head with that one! Great job! I did enjoy this part because it is so true to life.
I had a hard time writing this review because there are to many things that did not make s
Ezinwanyi~ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
Ivy
Apr 14, 2011 Ivy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Friends of Choice is about a girl named Karla whose family had to move to a new town. Leaving her old life behind, she had to face a new school, and a new environment. She seemed reluctant to move, but it was her parents who made the decisions. When she attends the new school, she befriends a girl named Carol and started to hang out with her. Little did she know, she was different from the usual crowd of friends she would hang out with, and she was having second thoughts about whom she should’ve ...more
Paula
Jan 09, 2013 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Teenage girl forced to move to new town, attend a new school, leaves behind old friends and gets caught up with a new crowd that does not have her best interests at heart. Girl continues to hang out with new friends, despite misgivings because....they're popular! And it's cool to be popular! Okay, I get all of that. Sounds fairly realistic to me so far.
The author then adds a morality tale component to the story: Parents, even though they are not perfect, have your best interests at heart and you
Jill
Jul 28, 2011 Jill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kara moves to a new town, attends a new school and makes new friends, who then set her up for date rape and an overdose of alcohol laced with ecstasy.

***

Author Linda Nelson emphasizes the influence friends can have on teens and the consequences from deceiving parents in this story of Kara, a self-conscious and insecure teen with an alcoholic mother and an enabling father. Kara gets good grades, but more than anything else she wants to belong. She can’t believe that Carol wants to be her friend.
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
Jul 12, 2011 Cate (The Professional Fangirl) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY.
Shelves: 2011-reads
This is a Reading Good Books review.

I tried. Don’t get me wrong… I really tried. But I couldn’t finish this. I couldn’t even get to the midpoint. Provided it was just 88 pages on e-book.

I respect the obvious effort of the author to make a compelling story and (as I skipped to the end) a public service to teens, the writing was just so bad. There’s no other, nicer way to say it. Just… BAD.

Errors – typographical or grammatical or BOTH – litter the whole thing. At least the parts I’ve read. But b
Birgit
May 23, 2011 Birgit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read YA novels, but since being a member of LibraryThing I have came across a few. Some I enjoyed, others not quite.
Linda Nelsons book about a girl moving into another town with her family and trying to make new friends at the local high school is the kind of book that transports such an important message for youth today – choose your friends wisely – but the execution is unfortunatelly really bad. You can tell that Linda puts her heart into the story, but the characters remain flat and
Suzanne
Feb 22, 2011 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young teenagers
This book had a really good moral to it. I would recommend an edited copy for teens, 13-17 or so.

It follows a young girl, 16 years old, from the house that she grew up in to a new house, a new town, and a new school. She was forced to leave behind her two best friends. She tries to make friends at her new school, and ends up falling in with the wrong crowd.

It covers everything from shoplifting to drug use to date rape. It is a cautionary tale for teens to be careful who they choose as friends.

T
Elaine
Rhonda
Jul 11, 2011 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a parent of two college girls this book scares me. I wish thier was no way kids would drug other kids and set them up for rape. It is written well and I appreciate the information at the end of the story.
Karla is a 16 year old when her family sells their house and moves to a bigger town two towns away. She is not happy with her parents over it. Karla does not get along with her mom. Her mom drinks a lot and is controlling. Karla has a lot of anger.
The first day at new school she meets Carol a
Trisha
Nov 20, 2015 Trisha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate this book as a cautionary to some of the things that can happen when you start to make questionable choices that you know, in your heart and gut, are wrong.
I also appreciated the info at the end about date rape drugs.

But the actual story....it just felt too much like a myth - some kind of story told to parents about how to make sure this never happens to your kids.

and there were so many confusing parts that were never addressed (like her mom's alcoholism or her the fact that they ar
Shiree
Mar 21, 2011 Shiree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book would be good for younger readers, early to mid teens. I can see this book being used for school health class discussions - when I was at school we would read books with a moral such as this in groups and then present what we learned to the rest of the class.

However, I don't think I would recommend this book to the casual reader, as there were quite a few spelling/grammer mistakes in the copy I read, and there seemed to be inconsistancies in the characters and the plot at some
Elizabeth
Jan 02, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brutally honest look at what can happen to a child who just wants to make friends. Kayla's family have lost their jobs and have had to sell their house and move to another town. Kayla meets Carol at her new school and Carol starts to include Kayla. Kayla notices that Carol's friends are whispering and she starts to feel uncomfortable but she is new in school and doesn't want them to not like her. After hanging out with Carol, Kayla notices her deliquient behavior and she wonders if Carol is real ...more
Megan
Oct 08, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book, it really left me thinking you should chose friends carfully and a real friend woulden't do anything to hurt you karla paid a high price for picking the wrong friends i found myself wanting to go into the book to warn her. very well writen i felt like i was in the book the whole time and coulden't put it down.
Heather-Jane
I won this book yay! should come soon:)

Review:

Okay the plot was simple, Karla's parents get a new job and she has to move a few towns away and start a new school. She is very negative about the whole thing but when she starts her new school, Carol starts hanging around with her. Carol is the popular girl of the school. But when she becomes uncomfortable
Kimber Burnett
I won this book as a first read from goodreads!!

Very realistic!! I work in a high school and can tell you that this goes on every day!! The story was interesting, the characters were believable. Great book...Im loaning it to my 14 year old!
Taygus
Dec 23, 2011 Taygus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
its not very well written(spelling and grammer wise) but this iis easily forgiven and ignored. the story is simple but touching. This is a rape drug awareness novel.
Amberlee
Oct 10, 2011 Amberlee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book as a giveaway. I didn't finish it. I couldn't get into it and it was kind of weird.
Hannah Smyth
Hannah Smyth rated it it was ok
May 28, 2014
Suzi reece
Suzi reece rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2011
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2011
Dohn
Dohn rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2011
Adetiti Foluke
Adetiti Foluke rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Kristi Spangler
Kristi Spangler rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Michelle Kidwell
Michelle Kidwell rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
Amanda Lynn
Amanda Lynn rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • A Heart to Mend
  • Imperial Hostage (Destruction, #1)
  • Red Smoke Rising
  • The Goblin Market (Into the Green, #1)
  • Crossroads Road
  • Who Got Liz Gardner
  • Ghosts of Coronado Bay (Maya Blair Mysteries, #1)
  • Heart Stealer
  • The End of the World
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • Fallen Blood (The Fallen, #1)
  • Stones to Ashes (The Alchemists Academy, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Lucy Doesn't Wear Pink (Lucy #1)
  • Priscilla the Great: The Kiss of Life (Priscilla the Great #2)
  • Hull's Landing
Linda Nelson published her first YA romance in 2013. She is a self-published author who began her writing career in 2010 as just a Fantasy & YA Writer. Now it is all about the romance, a huge career change that took place in the past couple of years when she discovered RWA. Fantasy is her favorite genre to read and write, and her favorite way to escape the day to day life. When she writes YA c ...more
More about Linda Nelson...

Wings from Ashes (3 books)
  • Road Salt (Wings from Ashes, #2)
  • Along Came Neil (Wings From Ashes, #3)