Start by marking “Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: The Demise of 20th Century Selling & the Advent of Helping Clients Succeed” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The new way to transform a sales culture with clarity, authenticity, and emotional intelligence.

Too often, the sales process is all about fear.

Customers are afraid that they will be talked into making a mistake; salespeople dread being unable to close the deal and make their quotas. No one is happy.

Mahan Khalsa and Randy Illig offer a better way. Salespeople, they argue
Published August 1st 1999 by Franklin Covey (first published July 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play

Mark
Mar 07, 2013 Mark added it
Shelves: business
LET'S GET REAL may qualify as one of the worst book titles of all time, which is a shame because it's probably the best book on "consultative selling" ever written. And while the goal of this book is to improve selling skills, it also (and more importantly) creates a powerful framework and point of view on how to approach any business relationship: by being transparent, seeking to foster dialogue, and working collaboratively to understand and articulate the core issues and problems, not merely a ...more
Nick
Feb 03, 2008 Nick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of 7 Habbits, Art of Woo
Recommended to Nick by: Rajesh Shetty
The Audible.com version of this book is also really good. I believe that you really could be a consultant after reading this book several times. Be prepared to take notes and make an outline when he talks about the steps in investigating the how to find out what criteria for judgment will used to judge your proposal, how the decision will be made, what will make it hard for the decision maker to decide between you and the competing bid, what the decision makers will need to see, think or feel in ...more
Mark
A friend of mine had mentioned this book years ago to me, but I ignored him…until recently when another friend, whom I admire his business acumen, mentioned that his entire career was managed from the principals of this book. He explained how you need to uncover "Yellow Lights" before moving on with a prospect. One of the main take-aways he left me with was this-"No is an acceptable answer, let's move on".

Probably one of my highest rated business books outside of Linchpin, The Challenger Sale,
Janet
Mar 28, 2008 Janet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sales
I attended Mahan Khalsa's consultative sales course as my first formal introduction to selling. Learning to formalize a process of questions, based on inquiring what the client was really looking for, mirrored my project management and systems analysis days. So, the process and mapping it to my former work experiences was one that worked well for me.

The book is not nearly as comprehensive as the course. The course, last I knew, was taught as part of Franklin Covey's on site special courses.

I re
Cory
Dec 23, 2008 Cory rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All in sales (especially IT)
This book talks about the power of intent and the role of intent in sales. If you (or more importantly your customers) feel that you walk through the door with commission breath, this is the how to book on understanding customers and their needs and then building your solution around those needs. It is not just about listening to the customer, it involves engaging customers and getting them to open up to you and see you as a trusted advisor in the process. It is a more engaged version of consult ...more
Gwendolyn
Listened to this on Audio. It was very informative.
Richard Podsada
If you're a fan of Alan Weiss, you will certainly enjoy this book. I haven't finished reading it yet, but from my initial skipping around I can see this is the most no-fluff high-value sales book I've ever read. It's packed with practical examples and flowcharts that break down common sales scenarios and provide practical advice on how to approach each situation. This is an invaluable tool for students of value selling and for those who do not like to waste time in sales with unqualified leads.
Deniss Rutseikov Ojastu
A book on consultative sales for services. The main messages of the book are good: start with the intent of selling, leave your ego behind, focus on relationships, don't be afraid to go for "No".

However, as most of U.S. books of such kind, it builds up a fancy methodology and attaches a catchy title (I think the title of the book is quite unfortunate) to some essentially simple truths.
Devin
Referred to me by the master salesman, Kit Allowitz. Takes you away from the "fake it 'til you make it" shortcut mentality, and helps you become a more ethical and accurate consultant for your client. Helped me get to the real needs of my clients and close the deal, while helping me cut ties with one's that were going nowhere and wasting my time.
Hgiles
The best sales book ever in my opinion. Not good for telesales (over the phone) but if you're product has a long sales cycle this is the best I've ever come across.

I am amazed that this book is not more widely heralded. I picked up more from this book than all of Tracey's, Ziglar's et al (and no, I'm in no way related to the author).
Janet
I took a course from Mahan Khalsa on Consultative Selling, and the CDS describe the process of how to ask effective questions, and recognize serious buyers of services. Outstanding course, CDs can't do the course justice...but all great material on understanding the process of influecing a buyer.
Mark Fallon
Another book that reminds salespeople that they a) have to know their prospects/customers, b) know what the real problems are for their prospects/customers, and c) know that the solution they provide actuals solves the problems of their prospects/customers.

Good techniques and questionniares.
Bryan Burke
Excellent read for anyone in a sales executive position. This refreshing new approach flies in the face of conventional wisdom. If you're ready to step up your game, go pro, and close more sales, then you need to read this book.
Promod Sharma
Read this original version rather than the updates. If you sell Complex products or services, you learn about the ORDER process. The audiobook is worth a listen too.
Andy Johnson
Must have for learning the new paradigm for working with clients to determine real value of professional services rooted in the gain to the organization.
Guruprasad
Dec 03, 2008 Guruprasad is currently reading it
So far i have gathered points about need for selling a product to a customer without hearing what customer really wants.
Rex Galbraith
Wow this book is incredible for large sell sales reps. They speak from experience with phenomenal examples.
Paul Goodson
Good book to reaffirm common sense ideas you probably already had about the sales process.
Vincent
Don't hold back what you trying to accomplish, be upfront and honest in your dealings.
Michael
Common Sense! Sales 101 but there are sales people that sti
ll don't get it!
Harish
Harish marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Sonnet
Sonnet marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
MU Library Book Exchange
MU Library Book Exchange marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
David
David added it
Jan 11, 2015
Omar Castillo
Omar Castillo marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Ld
Ld marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
aka: How to be a successful consultant 1 0 Dec 24, 2007 09:11AM
  • Get Back in the Box
  • Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation (The Teaching Company)
  • Outside In: The Power of Putting Customers at the Center of Your Business
  • Self-Healing with Reiki: How to Create Wholeness, Harmony & Balance for Body, Mind & Spirit
  • Compelling People: The Hidden Qualities That Make Us Influential
  • Authenticity: What Consumers Really Want
  • Against Intellectual Monopoly
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • Solution Selling: Creating Buyers in Difficult Selling Markets
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • SNAP Selling: Speed Up Sales and Win More Business with Today's Frazzled Customers
  • Iron Fists: Branding the 20th Century Totalarian State
  • It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow: How to Use Speed as a Competitive Tool in Business
  • Selling to Vito (the Very Important Top Officer)
  • Ancient Secrets Of Lead Generation: Your Primitive Business Guide To Better Leads With Less Effort (PrimitiveBusiness.com #1)
  • Leadership by the Book: Tools to Transform Your Workplace
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship Business Think Sell, Sell, Sell!: Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play; Sell Yourself First; Snap Selling BusinessThink: Rules for Getting It Right--Now, and No Matter What! Businessthink: Rules for Getting It Rightnow, and No Matter What!