Start by marking “Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1)

Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  5,864 Ratings  ·  1,228 Reviews
In 1930s Munich, danger lurks behind dark corners, and secrets are buried deep within the city. But Gretchen Müller, who grew up in the National Socialist Party under the wing of her "uncle" Dolf, has been shielded from that side of society ever since her father traded his life for Dolf's, and Gretchen is his favorite, his pet.

Uncle Dolf is none other than Adolf Hitler. An
Published April 22nd 2014 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of Night and Fog, please sign up.

Shelly Crowell I think it's very suitable for the period in time. She looks haunted, and she is, in the book. The cover captures her inner struggle, in my opinion.…moreI think it's very suitable for the period in time. She looks haunted, and she is, in the book. The cover captures her inner struggle, in my opinion. What do YOU think?(less)
Nicole In my opinion it is done very, very well. It is a well thought out fictional story that is closely woven in with actual historical events. The author…moreIn my opinion it is done very, very well. It is a well thought out fictional story that is closely woven in with actual historical events. The author did a lot of research for it and it proves it's worth throughout the pages. She also gave a long information chapter at the end explaining which parts are real and which were fiction.(less)

Sasha Alsberg
Jun 07, 2014 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing
So SO good!! Cannot wait for the next book because this one was just outstanding. You can definitely tell Anne Blankman put in a lot of time and effort researching Hitler and his inner circle. I love how the romance was gradual and took a back seat to the action, very well paced. And Daniel <3 LOVE HIM!! A truly spectacular read =)
Giselle
Nov 05, 2013 Giselle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, arc
To anyone who thinks research for a book is not worth the time or effort, Prisoner of Night and Fog proves to the contrary. Based on true historical events, Anne has crafted a brilliantly compelling and incredibly authentic story entwined with real historical figures who are given a second breath of life. This is a story of a girl's desperate search for the truth.

Underneath it all, Prisoner of Night and Fog is a gripping account of Hitler's rise to power. The plot introduces many real-life chara
Kathylill
I wished a German editor would have given the author some counsel because there are so many faults regarding the use of the German language (see my status updates for that) it’s almost ludicrous. I will never understand the need of US writers to write fictional novels on countries and cultures they never even been to only read about in books and pictures. Yeah everybody can read billions of books on Hitler, the NS regime, on Hitler and his women, Hitler and his pets, hell there are even books an ...more
Lara
Feb 08, 2016 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“She stood on the edge of night, that sliver of gray between darkness and dawn, that razor-thin line separating the first part of her life and whatever lay ahead.”

A haunting yet beautiful book.

No matter how it begins or ends books about WW2 always screw up my nerves, and I bet I'm not the only one. The story was well written but best think about this book was the information it contained. I learned alot.
The writing style was epic, Anna Blankman did some serious crafting and blending.

Gretch
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)

Sigh. Another well loved book that I just didn’t connect to the way I would have liked.

This book had GREAT potential, the premise was really intriguing and different from anything I’ve read before. Unfortunately, Prisoner of Night and Fog just did not work for me.

The novel takes place in Munich in the early 1930’s during Hitler’s rise to power. It’s told from the point of view of the seventeen-year-old German girl Gretchen Müller, who basically grew up in the NSDAP with Adolf Hitler –
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
For decades since the World War II, the name Adolf Hitler has been synonymous with monster all over the world. But to 17-year-old Gretchen Muller, Adolf Hitler is simply Uncle Dolf, protector, substitute father, a great leader and a kind, gentle man. If he wasn’t, why would Gretchen’s own father jump in front of a bullet to protect him? Why would this somewhat strange Austrian take Gretchen’s entire family under his wing?

We must keep in mind that Blankman portrays Germany in 1931, before the Th
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Dec 04, 2013 Tiff at Mostly YA Lit rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at: http://mostlyyalit.blogspot.ca/2014/0...

Sometimes, you read for enjoyment and to escape. And then sometimes, you read because you know a book is good for you and it's important for you to read it. Prisoner of Night and Fog is definitely one of the latter books. That's not to say it isn't enjoyable - it is, in some parts. But for me, PoNaF was definitely a serious, thriller of a book that you learn from - it wasn't always fun, but I *am* glad I read it.

The plot clicks
Katherine
description
"You will never learn what I am thinking. And those who boast most loudly that they know my thought, to such people I lie even more."- Adolf Hitler

Setting:Berlin and Munich, Germany; 1933

Coverly Love?:No; this is way too close of a close up for my liking.

Plot:Germany; 1933. WWI has been over for fifteen years, but Germany is still suffering. Bitterly poor and living in poverty the German people need someone to look up to. Such is the case for sixteen year old Gretchen Muller, who along with he
Irshad
Jan 10, 2016 Irshad rated it it was amazing
This is probably going to be a tough book to review and rate as well.
I equally enjoyed the book and also felt it was average at certain points.

Prisoner of Night and Fog is a historical fiction book where we follow the story of Gretchen, the girl who looked up to Hitler as her father. Gretchen's father died by protecting Hitler from shots that were fired. Her dad saved Hitler's life and Hitler took Gretchen and her family under his care.
Sweet isn't it?

Well things are about to change when Gretch
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
If you liked Code Name Verity

If you liked The Book Thief

If you like well-written historical fiction, particularly of the tumultuous WWII era, I think you should give this a shot. There. That's my endorsement.

This is a fantastic book and it does an amazing thing-- just when I think I've had my fill of the WWII period, something like this comes along to prove me wrong and I fall head over heels in love with it. Of all the atrocities committed during the war, this book takes its readers back a few
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

For so long, she had believed in Hitler’s lies, seeing shadows where there should have been light.

Set in Germany during the rise of Hitler’s power, Prisoner of Night and Fog was a beautifully told story. I loved Anne Blankman’s take on this time period. The main character, Gretchen Müller is actually from Hitler’s inner circle—she refers to Hitler as “Uncle Dolf”. Instead of a conniving and cruel image of Hitler that we normally see in other YA historical fic
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
I have read A LOT of books set in Nazi Germany and the war and dealing with the Holocaust. Where this one was different is that 1) it was set AS Hitler was gaining more popularity and power, not when he was in power and 2) it’s POV is from a young girl whose family (and her own beliefs) are Nazi through and through aka Adolf Hitler is a family friend (until she starts questioning things). Normally the books I pick up are from the POV of the people being persecuted or people who are helping them ...more
Theresa
Jan 09, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it
TL
Nov 04, 2015 TL rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans

Postives:
Believable story
The setting felt 'real' to me
Reinhard (this isn't a positive strictly) was a good bad guy, so to speak. Very creepy and scary.
Daniel was a great character, loved his passion and integrity.

Cons and so-so:
Gretchen was a decent character but she didn't seem 'real' sometimes. Some of the things she did, while I understand her motives and her desire to find out what happened, had me wanting to shake her. It also felt rushed and more telling than showing in places.

The romanc
Cait (Paper Fury)
THINGS I ADORED.

Gretchen is a super strong heroine. I love characters who break the "strong" stereotype. You know...kick butt and sassy? Gretchen was neither of those, yet she was strong and someone I easily admired. Sure she was brainwashed, buuuut, these things happened. I loved her flexibility and strength to question. Also, I love her for this quote:

Maybe she didn't matter enough to the Brauns, certainly not enough to her mother and Uncle Dolf, and definitely not at all to Reinhard. But
Rachel
Sep 18, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Fantastic story from an interesting viewpoint. Even though it is a work of fiction, this story is well researched involving figures and events from Nazi Germany history.

I definitely recommend this one for readers of historical fiction.
Tereza Mikulová
Tak tohle byla pecka! Moc se mi to líbilo a vůbec mi nepřipadalo, že by Cooboo kvůli tématice šláplo vedle, jak jsem četla jeden komentář na Databázi.

Naopak, myslím si, že o tomhle se musí pořád psát, aby lidi nezapomněli, jaká byl Hitler zrůda. A co víc, aby si lidi uvědomili, že stačí jeden takový člověk a tohle všechno se bude opakovat.

Mám ráda tématiku druhé světové války, nějak mi přijde i zajímavější než první, tuhle knihu si tedy rozhodně koupím i do své knihovny. A doufám, že Cooboo vyd
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Prisoner of Night and Fog is one of the most original, impressive debuts I've ever read. It's a coming of age story that stands out for its historical setting and the unique situation that fuels the main character's growth. While I wouldn't call myself a history buff, the time surrounding Adolf Hitler's rise to power, the Holocaust, and World War II has always fascinated me, but more than that it has haunted me. It's one of the darkest, most horrific times in human history, and even typing this ...more
Anatea Oroz
This review is also posted on my blog, Anatea's Bookshelf.

This book! This book you guys! I can only say WOW! I'm left completely speechless and at loss of words. I did not expect this. What I had in mind about this book is completely wrong. I probably saw Hitler in the book blurb and made my assumption right away. What I thought this book is going to be about is Hitler persecuting the Jews, something like Anne Frank: The Diary of Young Girl, but fictional. But no, it wasn't anything like that.
Audrey Webster
Aug 20, 2014 Audrey Webster rated it really liked it
I honestly didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. Initially it began slow and somewhat boring so my immediate thought was I was going to have to tough through it. I was proven wrong. From my minimal amount of knowledge surrounding this time frame I can tell this story, although deemed fiction, is based strongly on historical fact.

Gretchen begins as the type of main character I really don't like. She succumbs to doing exactly what she is told without any argument. She questions many
Aimee
Feb 25, 2014 Aimee rated it it was ok
This would probably be an incoherent review as I can't really express why I felt nothing. It was just that. A reading slump, maybe?

First off, I expected to love this one so much, since most early reviews have given this either 5 or 4 stars. I'll admit--I understand why they gave these sort of ratings. Things were very well thought of the plot (even if there was very little of it, honestly) flowed smoothly with just the right pacing, but the thing was, I couldn't connect with the characters at al
Carol Storm
Jun 19, 2014 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing
This YA novel about a German girl raised within the Nazi inner circle who rebels against the cruelty and evil of her "Uncle Dolf" is one of the most intense, compelling, and terrifying tales I've read in a very long time!

Gretchen Muller is an amazing heroine, a girl who is totally believable in her agonizing loneliness, her need for a father figure, and her understandable loyalty to Hitler and the Nazi party. The author does a great job of capturing the feeling of Munich and Germany in the earl
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Gretchen is family friends with none other than Adolf Hitler. Her father saved his life by standing in front of him to take the bullets that were meant for him alone. Living with her mom and brother in a boarding house, they keep a steady income and have a good life. When Gretchen witnesses her brother and fellow soldier beat a Jewish man to
grace
Dec 04, 2014 grace rated it it was amazing
4.5! This book was terrifying at times. Loved it!
Dark Faerie Tales
Feb 19, 2014 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Prisoner of Night and Fog is a fast-paced mystery with romance, action, and betrayal. I’d recommend it to readers everywhere.

Opening Sentence: Gretchen Muller peered through the car’s rain-spotted windshield.

The Review:

Prisoner of Night and Fog is a book about Gretchen, daughter of Hitler’s beloved matyr. Herr Müllen jumped in front of the bullets meant for Hitler, saving the National Socialist’s beloved leader, and now Gretchen and her moth
Bonnie
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
I received this book free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

‘The box she had carefully constructed about herself would fall apart. And she didn’t know if she could bear standing out in the open, in the harsh wind, without the comforting warmth of those walls she had built to shut out everything she didn’t like or understand.’

In the early 1930′s, Hitler’s rise to power as the undisput
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

I'm not big on historical events, I just know the basics of Adolf Hitler and his crazed mind-set. So honestly, I can't tell you if half the events I read in the PRISONER OF NIGHT AND FOG is true or not. But I will tell you this, it was amazing, beyond amazing! I was literary glued to my tablet for 2 days reading this! And I am so happy to hear that this is a series and their will be another book!

I could tell right off the bat that this book took a lot of time and research to create. It was well
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
The man she had loved as a father was a fraud. He kissed the backs of her hands and advocated war; he ruffled her hair and preached death; he had played with her on the carpet with toy soldiers, and all along he had been planning the extinction of an entire people.

Ever since her father died when she was a child, Gretchen's family has been under the protective and loving care of the man she affectionately calls Uncle Dorf, who happens to be none other than Adolf Hitler. But meeting a young Jewish
Maxi (slothreads)
Sep 16, 2014 Maxi (slothreads) rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maxi by: Booktube
I'M SO TIRED OF READING BOOKS THAT ARE JUST MEH.

I don't know how to review this without saying the word "boring" at least 258 times. I will try tho and fail.
This was pure boredom. Also it was also inconsistent as fuck.

meh

This is how I read this book: bored as fuck during the first 100 pages, read a lot of books in between, read 150 pages without wanting to put it down because it was finally interesting, read another 50 pages bored as fuck and regretting everything I did in my life and finally rea
MJ
Oct 27, 2014 MJ rated it it was amazing
To see full review with gifs click here

Holy Shit!

Yeah, probably not the best way to start a review of one of the best books I’ve read in 2014 so far.

Yeah, fangirling. It’s going to happen in this review. True this book had some flaws, but overall I was impressed.

This is the sort of book we need more of in YA. Desperately.

All those people who say the genre lacks substance: read this book.

Actually, part of this book reminded me of when I binge read a lot of historical fiction when we were studying
  • Brazen
  • Sekret (Sekret, #1)
  • Salvage
  • Don't Touch
  • Wild
  • Sleep No More (Charlotte Westing Chronicles, #1)
  • Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
  • Always Emily
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • Diamonds and Deceit (At Somerton, #2)
  • Beware the Wild (Beware the Wild, #1)
  • The Cure for Dreaming
  • The Mirk and Midnight Hour
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
Anne Blankman may have been meant to be a writer because her parents named her for Anne of Green Gables. She grew up in an old house with gables (gray, unfortunately) in upstate New York. When she wasn't writing or reading, she was rowing on the crew team, taking ballet lessons, fencing and swimming. She graduated from Union College with degrees in English and history, which comes in handy when sh ...more
More about Anne Blankman...

Prisoner of Night and Fog (2 books)
  • Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #2)

“If you think love means secrecy, then you don’t understand what love is at all.” 46 likes
“Loving someone is one thing, and being loved is another, but being loved by the one you love - that's paradise. And I don't think I shall ever have it. Some men aren't capable of loving you back.” 31 likes