Start by marking “The House of a Million Pets” as Want to Read:
The House of a Million Pets

The House of a Million Pets

Ann Hodgman's basement is home to three guinea pigs, a cage full of birds, a big gray rabbit, a prairie dog, a bulbul (look it up), two little rabbits, a hamster, and twenty-six pygmy mice. And that's just the basement.Would your parents ever let you have that many pets at once?

If Ann Hodgman were your parents, she'd let you.

Here is the true story of what it's like to live
Published September 4th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Alison Hardtmann
Nov 22, 2016 Alison Hardtmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
My son and I read this together. It's a memoir of the author's large and varied collection of pets, from the run of the mill cats and dogs, to more exotic animals like sugar gliders and an unhappy bulbul.

The House of a Million Pets was enjoyable for both of us, with my middle school-aged daughter joining us for several chapters. Because each chapter was the self-contained story of a specific animal, it was perfect for summertime reading, when there are lots of interruptions. And the stories wer
Kit
Jun 01, 2008 Kit rated it really liked it
Written for middle-grade readers, this autobiographical account of the many, many, manymany pets the author has had as an adult is probably even more hilarious when you read it as an adult, if only because you imagine what it would be like to have baby ducks splashing their poop-filled wading-pool water all over your screened in porch or having to keep small mammals tucked in your bra and think, "At least I only have cats."

The author doesn't shy away from the gross (poop!) or the grim (injuries,
Dani
Aug 17, 2016 Dani rated it it was amazing
This book makes me smile. I've never been a pet person, or ever had in any interest in owning pets (except maybe a teacup pig and duckling), but Ann Hodgeman really brings on the appeal of having a house of million pets. I think I'd be too worried about stepping on poop or holding my nose to fully appreciate all the animals though. This book was cute when I read it for the first time in elementary school, and it's still cute now. Each anecdote is short and sweet, the things readers nowadays crav ...more
Kris Springer
Mar 03, 2008 Kris Springer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pet lovers
This book made me laugh REALLY hard. The author really does have close to a million pets in her house. Sugar gliders, birds, pygmy mice, you name it. My problem with the book is who her audience is. The book has been published and marketed as a children's book (middle grades) but her voice and tone are often more appropriate for someone from 20 and up, and definitely female. It's a great book--I just wish an editor could have worked with her to publish this one for adults (maybe with a little mo ...more
Anita
Jul 23, 2011 Anita added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Everyone who's ever had pets knows all about the initial excitement of having a (more often than not) fluffy, cuddly, cute little animal to call your own. Everyone's who's a parent knows that once the initial hubbub has died down, they are the ones left to care for the furry, feathery or scaly critter -- from the mundane to the yucky. So here's a lighthearted tale of someone who is the parent and who is the one responsible for bringing all kinds of animals into the family home!
Phoebe
Dec 31, 2007 Phoebe rated it liked it
Shelves: youthnf
A curious book: almost second person in tone, full of very funny stories and embarrassing moments, not at all condescending to it's intended audience -in fact, written at the level that any adult could also find appealing. I learned all about sugar gliders, guinea pigs, miniature mice, various birds -animals of the types I've never kept but always been curious about. I wish I'd read this book as a kid -it would have satisfied many of my pet-keeping desires (or at least come close!)

Sphinx Feathers
Nov 19, 2016 Sphinx Feathers rated it really liked it
A cute book from a woman as obsessed with animals as I am. At times I forgot she was writing to children because she didn't spare details such as death or injury of animals. It would be a good read for an older grade schooler, or one with whom you wouldn't mind discussing matters of life and death in the animal kingdom.
CindySlowReader
May 28, 2014 CindySlowReader rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
It was OK but I didn't like how she kept exotic pets and bought them from breeders. I don't like how she kept her cats outside. She described many sad stories about how the pets in her life met their ends. I don't think I would let young kids read it.

These days you can go online to research where to rescue and how to care for pets of all kinds. You won't need this book.
Nina
Oct 08, 2009 Nina rated it really liked it
I really liked this because it is about animals and I love books about animals. It is about a lady who has had many different kinds of animals growing up in her house, and each chapter is about one animal she had< so i thought it was really interesting reading about all her animals, and how she helped take care of them.
MaGgIe :) $$$$$
Mar 08, 2009 MaGgIe :) $$$$$ rated it did not like it
This book was so good and a little bit funny. It is a nonfiction book about all the pets a 51 year old woman named Ann Hodgman owns. Each chapter is about at least 1 type of her pets. All that I can say about this book is outstanding! b4
Zoe
Feb 27, 2014 Zoe rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. It made me laugh, and I almost cried in places after reading the sad events that took place. Ann is such a great writer, and the book is all the more interesting because it is an autobiography. Ann has a great voice for telling stories.
Joy
Sep 21, 2016 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great book. It shows me lot of kinds of animals. Can, Bird,Dogs,Toads......I learn a lot of animals!The writer use kind words, funny pictures shows us how great it was! I hope more people can read this book!
Vixenfur
I loved this book so much!! I laughed so hard at where she said she put her sugar glider in her bra because she didn't know where else! I remember this is the book I read before picking up "Warriors: Into the WIld" by erin hunter (wonderful book for cat lovers!!)
Bridget
Dec 07, 2009 Bridget rated it it was amazing
The kids love pet books so much, I think they would really enjoy this book. The author tells her stories in short, easy chapters so someone could even return it midway through and not feel as though they missed the ending. It's mostly funny, but has some sadness thrown in.
Anna Ward
May 03, 2012 Anna Ward rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
I am a big animal lover (with a house of a thousand pets of my own!) so reading this book was great! I loved how sarcastic and humorous the author was! Just the fun, quick read I needed before a big day of cage cleaning and water changes!
Jun 14, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Very amusing. It made me want to get a million pets of my own. It also made me never want to own another pet ever again. ;)
Cassidy A
Mar 28, 2013 Cassidy A rated it it was amazing
read it 4 times!!
Abby
May 30, 2009 Abby rated it it was amazing
Not what I thoughtit wuold be but I still loved it.
Rebekkah
May 24, 2009 Rebekkah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was so hilarious and entertaining! It was well written and i could not put it down! It's a must-read for animal lover or not!
Sara
Sep 14, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
Some parts were good, some sad. Ann, DON'T STOP GETING ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kiri
Aug 22, 2010 Kiri rated it really liked it
very cute true story for any animal lover
Tracey Cruickshank
Oct 04, 2014 Tracey Cruickshank rated it really liked it
A really great book for any kiddo who loves animals. Our family both laughed and cried at the various stories within this book and the predicaments the author continued to find herself in.
Leah Fox
Jan 30, 2016 Leah Fox rated it really liked it
really funny and interesting!
Jkk
Dec 06, 2016 Jkk rated it liked it
this lady is bat-shit crazy, just a warning.
Yane
Nov 05, 2008 Yane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lisa Lee, Wendy Gao
I LOVE these type of books! They're just a random book about one general subject slabbed together. And not only that, the author's funny! AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah. Uh. Ok.
Jordyn
Dec 15, 2010 Jordyn rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny and amazing! Its so nice to see someone actually care about animals. If you love animals I recommend this book to you! :)
Kenyan
Aug 26, 2010 Kenyan rated it it was amazing
each chapter (usually) is about a different pet. some of the pets include a sugar baby, snapping turtle, ducklings, dogs, cats, many rodents, and birds.
Mary
Apr 16, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It is an easy read with lots of good stories in it. those stories are interesting and humourous.
Anne Jordan-Baker
Oct 14, 2012 Anne Jordan-Baker rated it it was amazing
Reading this book yet again. One of my favorite books of all time. We laugh our heads off while reading it, and I can't think of a higher compliment than that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Seventh Level
  • Meet Wild Boars
  • On The Road
  • Seven Dead Pirates
  • Mixed Messages (Mackenzie Blue, #4)
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • Beaver Is Lost
  • Appointments at the Ends of the World: Memoirs of a Wildlife Veterinarian
Ann Hodgman (born 1956) is an American author of more than forty children's books as well as several cookbooks and humor books and many magazine articles.

Ann was raised in Rochester, New York and graduated from Harvard College, where she was a staff member on the Harvard Lampoon and the Harvard Advocate. She was the food columnist for the magazines Spy and Eating Well. Her essay "No Wonder They Ca
More about Ann Hodgman...