Start by marking “Secrets of Sleep Science: From Dreams to Disorders” as Want to Read:
Secrets of Sleep Science: From Dreams to Disorders

Secrets of Sleep Science: From Dreams to Disorders

We spend about one third of our lives sleeping, but scientists are only beginning to understand how and why. One thing, however, is clear: Sleep is just as essential to life as nutrition and exercise. This course examines the latest research on the crucial phenomenon of sleep.
Published by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Sleep Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Sleep Science

Troy Blackford
Mar 15, 2016 Troy Blackford rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent, well-presented resource that explored the physical aspects of sleep, as well as the psychological ones. I enjoyed this more than the similar 'The Twenty-Four Hour Mind' by Rosalind Cartwright, as this dwelt less on legal issues and more on more everyday human issues.
Darren
Oct 16, 2014 Darren rated it it was amazing
Since my day job is in EEG/Sleep Technical Support, this course was somewhat relevant to my day-to-day world. Although my role is more of an IT-type position dealing with hardware/software/networking issues, it is extremely interesting to learn the science behind what our equipment does and how it can benefit people with sleep disorders such as sleep apnea. I have seen the sleep stages marked on EEG recordings, and knew they were related to different physiological responses during sleep onset, ...more
Zhihua
Jan 02, 2016 Zhihua rated it it was amazing
It's a very good series of lectures about sleep research, sleep medicine, and sleep disorders. It's very interesting and informative.
Amazingsomeone
Oct 25, 2016 Amazingsomeone rated it liked it
I thought that it would have a lot about dreams and how to interpret them, but only one chapter was dedicated to it. Overall, I do not think that this book is suitable for general-audience.
Phillip
Oct 28, 2016 Phillip rated it it was amazing
Great.
Suncerae
Aug 23, 2016 Suncerae rated it liked it
Considering how much of our lives we spend sleeping, the function of sleep is still a mystery. Good sleep provides a healthy and productive waking life, while a lack of sleep impairs cognition and leads to psychological issues. Even just a few nights of inadequate sleep can cause severe damage, especially when a car is involved. Stanford University professor H. Craig Heller presents a series of 24 thirty-minute lectures that cover a wide variety of sleep topics, including circadian rhythms, the ...more
Teo 2050
6h @2x. This referenced so many studies and neurohappenings that I'll think of my {listening to this while walking around} as a warm-up for watching the lectures.

Contents:
(view spoiler)
Elena Newton
Sep 29, 2013 Elena Newton rated it really liked it
Fascinating - although it gets into physiology and neurochemistry so you can't give this a half- way read, you must commit your brain to focusing.
Ola
Ola rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Chad
Chad rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2015
Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Mike Conner
Mike Conner rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Rachel Shilletto
Rachel Shilletto rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2016
Boyan Vakarelov
Boyan Vakarelov rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Nicholas Crutchley
Nicholas Crutchley rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Shawna
Shawna rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Ali
Jun 25, 2013 Ali rated it really liked it
It was a great course, very informative and eye opening.
Dobook
Oct 12, 2015 Dobook rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Fascinating course on an important and often neglected topic.
Janardh Bantupalli
Janardh Bantupalli rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Susan Raddatz
Susan Raddatz rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Kristine
Kristine rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Frank Andersen
Frank Andersen rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Maciej Mroczek
Maciej Mroczek rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Vincent
Vincent rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Jule
Jule rated it liked it
May 15, 2015
Talia
Talia rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Patricia Hallahan
Patricia Hallahan rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Alex Harden
Alex Harden rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015