Start by marking “Pros of Prozac: A Faith-based Memoir of Overcoming the Stigma” as Want to Read:
Pros of Prozac: A Faith-based Memoir of Overcoming the Stigma

Pros of Prozac: A Faith-based Memoir of Overcoming the Stigma

Beca Mark wished she could have found this book when hopelessly struggling with depression and anxiety after having her first child.

She takes you on a heartfelt journey and shares how healing only came when combining a daily Prozac prescription with a commitment to be her best self.

By sharing faith-based, personal details about her life, she hopes to soften the cultural st
Published March 26th 2013 by CTL Press (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pros of Prozac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pros of Prozac

Jeff Stockett
Apr 04, 2013 Jeff Stockett rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is an easy read. I read it in one sitting. It is also very informative.

I have often wondered about depression and anxiety. What is it like? Can't people just change their thoughts?

The author does a good job of explaining exactly what it is like to suffer with depression and anxiety. I really liked the chapter where she went into detail as to how she tried to solve the problem. She first thought that she wasn't happy because of her weight, so she worked to become healthier. Then she th
Holly
Apr 10, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing
So, I must start out this review by admitting up front that I know Beca personally - and, well...I think that is precisely the point. We all know someone, whether it be ourselves, our neighbor, our mother, or our friend who struggles with this battle labeled "depression". I champion Beca for being willing to take the fall in order to get a conversation rolling about this issue of feeling embarrassed or ashamed to tell others that we struggle and take anti-depressants.

While I have my own theories
Beca
Apr 08, 2013 Beca rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I think my book is a 5-star book, but I am biased.

Thank you to everyone who uses their invaluable time to write a review for my book. I wrote this book because I think positive reviews of psychotropic medication are lacking.

All I can find are books like Potatoes not Prozac, Prozac Backlash, Talking Back to Prozac, Prozac: Panacea or Pandora?, and Natural Prozac.

But, since psychotropic medications, including Prozac (fluoxetine), help millions of people in their journey to overcome mental illness,
Tracey
May 21, 2013 Tracey rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book is very informative and it was really helpful for myself to read as my husband, our 3 children and I all suffer from depression and anxiety of some sort of degree. It is so true about the stigma around taking medication and how each individual copes a lot of people just assume you can just get over it and push on but those who have experienced it know otherwise. It would be a good book for anyone unsure of what to do about depression/medication or if you have someone in your life who ...more
Susanhorne1gmail.com
Jun 18, 2013 Susanhorne1gmail.com rated it it was amazing
I gained much information and inspiration from reading this book! It is written in a way that is easy to relate and to understand. When I read it, I felt that I was getting a very personal insight into the real struggles and triumphs of those with mental illness. The author exhibited great courage in being open about her illness. I shared this book with those in our family who are struggling with similar diseases, and finally an open dialogue has begun! I believe it is a book that will do much ...more
Lani
May 04, 2013 Lani rated it really liked it
As another mother who has found health and healing for anxiety and depression through a combination of helpful treatments, including anti-depressants, I thoroughly enjoyed Beca's honest account. I myself have seen my own story bless others' lives as I have been open and honest about my struggles. I applaud Beca for her lack of shame and her desire to give hope to the millions who have similarly struggled.
Carri
May 15, 2013 Carri rated it really liked it
As the Mother of a child who suffers from depression, I found this book informative, interesting and easy to read. Although Prozac did not work for my son, I understand the stigma of depression and of taking medication to help cope with it's effects. I really liked that this book was not a huge investment of time. It is short and to the point and well worth a couple of hours to learn more about a disease so many people struggle with.
Cathy
Apr 11, 2013 Cathy rated it liked it
Very simple and straightforward. Basically, a good introduction to depression and how medication can be helpful for those who think they might be in a similar position.
More on my take is on my blog.
Steph
Mar 28, 2013 Steph marked it as to-read
Can't wait to read this book. I lived next to Beca for a couple years and didn't know this about her. And being a Prozac popper, I'd like to relate to someone else.
Cassidy
Jun 06, 2013 Cassidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an inspirational book as Beca Mark honestly confronts her personal trials and struggles to overcome depression. It gives courage to readers to honestly and opening face her/his own trials.
Lichelle
Apr 17, 2013 Lichelle rated it it was amazing
A fast, informative read that really shed light on the pro's of Prozac. A very personal, relatable story. I would reccomend this book!
Heather
Jul 16, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Title: Pros of Prozac: A Faith-based Memoir of Overcoming the Stigma by Beca Mark
Format: PDF provided by author for honest review

Review: Fantastic, honest approach to dealing with the ins and outs of starting a stigmatized medication. The author presents the ups and downs of taking Prozac to alleviate her own suffering and accounts how and why it helped her. The author gives personal life stories and some references back to documented research, but not enough to make the story stuffy or hard to
Tracysheffield
Jul 20, 2013 Tracysheffield rated it it was amazing
Read it. Loved it. Lived a similar story. This book does a great job explaining depression to those who haven't experienced it. It is fantastic at opening the doors of communication and I wish it had come along much sooner like the author expresses in her intro. I know the author personally and never realized she was going through similar struggles right alongside me. Instead of supporting each other we were suffering in silence. Hopefully this book will create a change in our culture that will ...more
Cami
Oct 08, 2015 Cami rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this books. Beca Mark is a friend of mine, and while I was reading this book I felt like she was just talking to me and sharing her story. It is very informative, easy to read, and shares an important message about overcoming the stigma of depression and anxiety. I too struggle with Post-Partum Depression and was glad I had read this book before-hand, so I have been much more open about it than I would have been before reading the book! Beautifully written and inspiring.
Annie
Aug 14, 2013 Annie rated it really liked it
With so many books out there that bash medicines this was a nice balance. Prozac and other anti-depressants can really help some people and this was nice to read.
Suey
Aug 14, 2013 Suey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty powerful plug for Prozac! :)
Lex
Lex rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
Mallorie Borup
Mallorie Borup rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2013
Michelle
Mar 19, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
great book beca.
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Beca
Mar 21, 2013 Beca rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Burke
Burke rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Natasha Parker
Natasha Parker rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Cassidy
Cassidy rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Bobi
Bobi rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Modern Good Reads: R4R: Pros of Prozac by Beca Mark 3 14 May 30, 2013 11:55AM
LDS Ladies Book Club: Free Pros of Prozac Read for Review 6 24 May 17, 2013 08:15AM
  • Lone Star Angel
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • A Short Course in Happiness: Practical Steps to a Happier Life
  • The Prince of Earth
  • Women, Sex, Power & Pleasure: How Powerful and Pleasurable Living Can Give You the Sex You Want
  • A Personal Message From God
  • Sailing to Jessica
  • The Flying Game
  • Games Primates Play: An Undercover Investigation of the Evolution and Economics of Human Relationships
  • The Real Verdict: My Quest for the Freedom I Never Had
  • Journey of Promise
  • Why Intelligent People Are Overweight
  • Thin Enough: My Spiritual Journey Through the Living Death of an Eating Disorder
  • Cruel Sister
  • The Church According to Paul: Rediscovering the Community Conformed to Christ
  • Work with Me: The 8 Blind Spots Between Men and Women in Business
  • Believing In Myself: Daily Meditations for Healing and Building Self-Esteem
  • The Battle of the Frogs and the Mice: A Homeric Fable
Beca Mark puts the "PRO" in "PROZAC."

She was born in San Diego, California and currently lives in Sandy, Utah.

Beca is the oldest of fourteen children. She is married to Matt and they are parents to Brady, Wyatt (stillborn), and Scarlett.

Beca graduated from Brigham Young University with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and master’s degree in public administration.

She spends her time working as the
More about Beca Mark...