Start by marking “Mother Nature” as Want to Read:
Mother Nature

Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery #3)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Geologist Em Hansen digs into greed, deception, murder...and other natural disasters.

Looking to distract herself from the grief she feels over her father's recent death, geologist Em Hansen agrees to investigate the rocky murder of fellow geologist Janet Pinchon.Asked to step in by Janet's father, a powerful senator, Em travels to Northern California where Janet's body was
Published July 15th 1998 by Minotaur Books (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Nature

Dharia Scarab

4 sta
I'm pretty surprised - I enjoyed this book! I started reading it just because it's set in the county where I live, and found myself happy with the story and the characters (though people in Sonoma County are generally a lot more friendly than the ones in the book, I promise).

Good points:
-Em Hansen is an interesting main character. I'm sure she would have made more sense had I started with the first book of the series. I like the geology thing - it's new to me.
-At a couple points in the book, Em
Veronica Erb
I think I felt a little uncomfortable with how Em's imagined relationship with the murder victim evolved through the book, and perhaps that is what makes this book worth reading. I also found myself disappointed with her relationship with Elyria, and perhaps that's another thing that makes this book worth reading.

Sarah Andrew's representation of the complexity and the fickleness of relationships seems so much like real life. No magical best friends forever here. No heroine getting the dashing he
My continuing flashback to a geologic life...
Kirsty Darbyshire

Hmmm, I see I wrote in my writeup of A Fall in Denver, the second book in this series that the book took a while to get going. This is the third in the series and the same is true. If I was subjecting books to a 50 page test, or even a 100 page test, then I don't think I would have finished this.

I enjoy the decently plotted scientifically bent plots and Em Hansen solves mysteries using skills she's learnt as a geologist. I enjoy her mixed-upped-ness and her family failings and her not quite wit

Galen Johnson
Em Hansen is hired by a Senator to investigate the death of his daughter, an environmental consultant in Sonoma County, CA. Em quietly moves into town, takes a job where the dead woman worked, and starts investigating the woman’s death. However, she is soon deeply tied in to the same dirty dealings that seem to have led to the woman’s death.

Not too quickly paced, and somewhat boring. Knowledgable writing about geology and environmental issues, but the character isn’t developed in a believable wa
This series keeps getting better and better - love it and excited to read the next one. :)
I picked this book up from Bangkok Bookcrossers, so I started in the middle of the series. It's about geologist turned private investigator, Em Hansen, and in this volume, she's hired by the father of a recently murdered geologist to find out what really happened. Along the way there's some self-doubt and self-discovery, too.

As a librarian, I especially liked that she relied on libraries and archives/public information to aid in her search.
Zápletka byla průhledná, ale přidávám hvězdičku za výstižný popis fungování "zelených" dotací.
I have just started this book and it is a little nerve wracking more so than her other novels because the main character is acting as a detective first and and a geologist second. I finished the book and did finally get into it and enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading her next one.
Aug 25, 2008 Brian rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Certainly not men
I had high hopes for this book mainly for the geology, but the story itself was weak and was way to sappy for any male readers that aren't secretly seeking chicklits in disguise.
Em Hansen is now off in California. You sometimes wonder why she makes the choices that she does but in the end it is always interesting.
3rd in the series
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Janet added it
Aug 22, 2015
Helen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Amy ~Lover of Books~
Amy ~Lover of Books~ marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Leslie Kayilibal
Leslie Kayilibal marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Dick marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • The Bohemian Murders (Fremont Jones, #3)
  • Ultraviolet (Jane Kelly, #3)
  • The Contrary Blues
  • Every Move She Makes
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Sequence
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • A Glancing Light (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5)
  • When Will the Dead Lady Sing? (Thoroughly Southern, #6)
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)
  • The Tree of Death
  • Zentangle Untangled: Inspiration and Prompts for Meditative Drawing
  • Disturbing the Dead (Rachel Goddard Mystery, #2)
  • Simon Said (Professor Simon Shaw, #1)
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...

Em Hansen Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2)
  • Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Earth Colors (Em Hansen Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Rock Bottom
Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5) Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1) Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7) A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2) In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The  Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)