Start by marking “The Chieftain's Curse (Chieftain, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Chieftain's Curse (Chieftain, #1)

The Chieftain's Curse (Chieftain #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  30 reviews

Euan McArthur is a chieftain in need of an heir...

While still a young a warrior, Euan incites the fury of a witch. She retaliates with a curse that no wife will ever bear him an heir. As he buries his third wife and yet another bonnie stillborn son, Euan can no longer cast her words aside.

Morag Farquhar is a woman in need of sanctuary. With a young relative in tow, Mor

ebook, 1st Edition, 274 pages
Published February 1st 2013 by Escape Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Chieftain's Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chieftain's Curse

Regan Walker
Unusual but Absorbing Tale from the 11th century Scottish Highlands

It took me a while to get used to the author’s writing style and the amount of introspection in between lines of dialog, but once I did, I found this tale from the Highlands held my interest. Housden has captured the feel of a medieval keep and has given us some wonderful characters.

Set in 1081 in Northeast Scotland, it tells of Euan, Laird of the McArthurs, and lord of Cragenlaw Castle, who desperately wants an heir but a witch
Phyllis Laatsch
It's all pretty good. Not great, but ok.

Graded down because the evil brother is gay.

Sound petty?

Imagine there are three gay people. Only. Well, ok there's a guy with mild aspersions cast on his masculinity. But there are three. The brother who is gay and kills the older brother and plots with his lover-who is the only black person, too-to kill his father, sister, and nephew. Because reasons. The lover also tried to rape the nephew. The third gay guy is also a pederast who tries to attack anoth
Ameya
The story of a Scottish chieftain, his love and the curse that hounds him.
Euan McArthur is a Scottish chieftain in the 11th century. In an otherwise realistic story which paints the Scottish highlands of the 1000’s realistically, he is the victim of a witch’s curse. We come upon his castle during a violently-stormy night, in which the curse again rears its ugly head.

Arriving on that stormy night is Morag Farquhar, also from the aristocratic classes. However, she is a female with an heir, so doom
Lily
Kathy (My Nook Books and More)
**3.5 Stars**

The Chieftain’s Curse has all the elements I love in historical romances - the beautiful highland setting, mystery, action, and steamy romance. This is my first time reading from this author so I was really impressed with her writing. Her attention to detail made me feel as if I was in the ancient highlands. My only disappointment was with the pace of the story. Just when something exciting was about to happen it was interrupted by a sex scene. I love highland romances because of th
Bev Walkling
When I read books that involve the highlands of Scotland, they automatically get compared at least a little to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. This one was ok but couldn't come close to that standard. Admittedly it was not set in the same time period and didn't involve time travel, but it did involve a Laird and his lady - except initially he just took her as his leman (mistress). Perhaps his attitude was typical of the time, but it rather grated on me as did her willingness to give in to him ...more
Loretta
What a great book, loved it.Euan McArthur is a chieftain in need of an heir.Since he was cursed by a witch, every woman he has married has died in child birth.Along comes Morag Farquhar and a young boy, desperate to find sanctuary.Euan allows them to stay if Morag will become his lover.Since Morag is barren,she is a godsend. As the story unravels, Morag has to keep her wits about her,Euan doesn't recognise her and she cant tell him.This story had plenty of action and twists, the romance was hot. ...more
Kalysta Rose
Review
Morag Farquhar is a woman fleeing for her life, from her English aristocratic brother, with her young charge - Rob. Her brother is the newly titled Baron of Wolfsdale after a mysterious horse riding accident killed her father.

She and Rob have travelled for many months to finally arrive at Cragenlaw Castle, in the Scottish Highlands, on a dark and dismal day. The weather is throwing a brutal storm at them and the Laird of the keep, Euan McArthur, has lost his third wife and stillborn son du
Katrina
Original and interesting storyline set in the 11th century Scottish Highlands. We see the relationship build between Morag and Evan which I enjoyed much so.

But I have to say as a reader I had to get use to the authors writing style. It took me a little longer to absorb the words within the pages. With it being set in a world so different to our own, I took my time reading it and paying attention to all detail.

But Frances portrayed her characters well and the storyline with interest and depth.
Stephanie
Sep 23, 2013 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone after an easy read
Recommended to Stephanie by: I just picked it up
Now I'll start off with what I liked about this book.

I liked the narrative voice and style, it was different and took a little getting used to but after a few pages I found it very engaging and held my interest well.
I liked the characters and the way they progressed through the novel.
I also enjoyed the basic plotline.

What I didn't like,
The ridiculous amount of graphic sex and how it pushed all the interesting points of the plot into the background. There was a lot of political intrigue and secr
Kylie Ross
Review

Aretha
Great read

Frances Housden is a new author for me and also a new favorite. This read has great strong characters and a story line that keeps you interested from beginning to the very end. For most of us trust is not easily given or won and it was just so with this group of characters. I enjoyed this book and will get Chieftain by Command.
Joann
VERY GOOD

I really enjoyed this book.
It had just enough of everything I look for in a romance novel.
The reason I only have four stars instead of five was because it lacked historical intricacies I enjoy in historical novels. They were just skimmed over lightly. I will read more of her books because the stories she weaves are great.
Linda Carroll-Bradd
This story was the perfect blend of highlander adventure and sensual romance. Ms. Housden's use of authentic vocabulary put me into another age of honor and valor. The plot is rife with treachery, clan power and birthright matters.
Crystal
The book was okay. I found that I was skipping section because the thoughts of the characters just kept repeating themselves. I was a different story line, which I liked. I enjoyed all the characters.
Deborah Conner
Goo plot

Characters believable and adorable. Each won my heart for their courage and humanity. A very believable, gripping story that I would recommend to my girl friends
Becca Mitchell
Just ok

This book was just ok. The beginning felt like it had a lot of extra information that was not necessary. I also felt the ending was rushed.
Nikita Bott
Ingrid Spera
It was ok and I thought that it had really good potential, but the end felt really rushed.
Kelly Perry
It was ok. I liked the synopsis. But the "secrets" were too predictable.
Danette Steward
3.5. New author for me. Pleasantly surprised.
awickedrose
Very good story. Good set up for a series.
Helen
I very much enjoyed this story I loved Euan what a wonderful hero and Chieftan and Morag so strong :)
Natalie Tobin
enjoyable story the author writing style took some getting use to...
Anne
I found this quite a heavy going book. Somewhat depressing, not the usual highlander romance.
Rowena May O'Sullivan
I loved this book. I found the writing style engaging and easy to read. I loved all the little twists and turns and the premise of this book. It was well written. I've not read many books in this time-period, but the images conjured about the Highlands and the characters has me wanting to read more.
Jacqui Carling-Rodgers
Immersion into a world which is so different to our own requires special attention to detail. Frances delivers here. Especially delightful are the fleshed out secondary characters, such as the tragic Naismeth, the fool. Also nicely done is the development of Morag and Evan's relationship.
Tegs
This is a very long story and one that offered little to keep my attention. The story line had potential but did not deliver. I skipped over several pages at a time and missed little of the story.
Eva
Wonderful original plot line kept me gripped. Love a wild Scottish hero and Frances delivers! Highly recommend the read.
Deb
this was a very nice little book with romance and drama. what more could you ask.
  • The Highlander's Warrior Bride (Stolen Bride, #4)
  • Spectre of the Sword
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
  • The Border Laird's Bride
  • The Big Book Of Time Travel Romance (Includes: After Cilmeri, #0.5; Lost Highlander, #1; The McKinnon Legends, #1; Out of Time, #1; Time Walkers, #1)
  • All the Time You Need (Magic of Time, #1)
  • A Viking For The Viscountess (A Most Peculiar Season, #1)
  • Dawson Bride (Wolf Brides, #3)
  • To Dare the Duke of Dangerfield (Wicked Wagers, #1)
  • Immortal of My Dreams (Immortal Series, #1)
  • Highlander's Ransom (Sinclair Brothers Trilogy, #1)
  • Mist Warrior   (Legacy of the Mist Clans #1)
  • Highland Dragon
  • Duchess By Chance
  • King of the Unblessed (Realm Immortal #1)
  • The Warrior (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #1)
  • Utter Domination
  • Daring the Highlander (The Legacy of MacLeod, #2)

Chieftain (3 books)
  • Chieftain By Command (Chieftain, #2)
  • The Chieftain's Feud (Chieftain, #2.5)
Chieftain By Command (Chieftain, #2) The Chieftain's Feud (Chieftain, #2.5) Honeymoon with a Stranger Shadows of the Past (Silhouette Intimate Moments No. 1289) The Man for Maggie