Start by marking “Instruments of War (The Warlock Sagas #1)” as Want to Read:
Instruments of War (The Warlock Sagas #1)

Instruments of War (The Warlock Sagas #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Makeda , Supreme Archdomina of House Balaash, is known throughout the Iron Kingdoms for her leadership of the mighty Skorne Empire, but it was not always so…

Before the coming of the Skorne Empire into the west, Makeda was little more than the second child of a great house, but through her will, determination, and adherence to the code of hoksune, she rose above all others.
Published April 2nd 2013 by Skull Island Expeditions

To ask other readers questions about Instruments of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Instruments of War

Spencer
Larry Correia doesn’t waste a single page. The action starts from the first page and doesn’t stop until you put the book down and take a much needed breath.

Instruments of War is a novella set in the Hordes/WarMachine universe. Like the universe’s, and title suggest this novella is about war. A civil war to be exact. The Skorne live by a simple creed life can only be truly lived in battle. To engage in one on one, or many on one combat is to know the true meaning of life. Pain purifies the weak f
Barbara
Apr 15, 2014 Barbara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Competently written but fairly standard tropes - warrior culture, honourable (by standards of the society) protagonist the younger sibling of insecure heir, younger sibling required to defeat older brother to save family honour. It is deftly done with no wasted words. Nothing particularly novel, except that the author manages to make us sympathise with the ideals of the main character, which are more than a little gruesome and barbaric by our standards.

My problem with this is I expect more than
William Adams
For a short novella, Larry Correia manages to fit quite a bit of quality material into such a small space. Granted, this is hardly highbrow literature, but that's not what you came here for is it? Correia focuses on a series of episodes in the early life of one of Immoren's most influential and powerful women, Makeda of House Balaash. The story is fast paced, the action is easy to follow and full of descriptive imagery (and those familiar with the game will be able to follow it from an in-game p ...more
Rick
This was a great biography of sorts for Makeda. Being very familiar with the character from the gaming books I found this book very interesting. Not only did it tell a lot of Makeda's back story but it also filled in some information about the Skorne's internal conflict before the arrival of Vinter. This was hinted at in the game books but the story of Makeda and her brother hadn't been fully explored like this.

I am really enjoying all of the Iron Kingdoms fiction so far, this one definitely lef
John
This is another novella set in the War Machine/Hordes universe. I suspect that if I played the game, and therefore, knew more of the background, I would enjoy these books even more. But having said that, even without that knowledge, I do enjoy these books. I've read two of these now (The Butcher of Khardov by Dan Wells) was the other. Both ave given enough detail that I was't scratching my head lost, and both had quick moving stories that were fun to read. It's only 84 pages, so a little steep f ...more
Reanne
Not nearly as good as Into the Storm, but an entertaining read. I know very little about Warmachine, so a lot of the names and terms meant nothing to me and I had to work them out from context. It wasn't too hard to follow, though, even if I might not have gotten all the nuances.
Mr. Matt
I struggled with this book at first. The author was introducing a brand new world to me and I had very little back ground in his milieu. I had a feeling that it was based on some already conceived world (Warhammer, maybe) and I wasn't familiar enough with that world to slip in to it comfortably. The good news is that by pushing on I discovered a pretty darn good story. Larry is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. The action was good, the writing brisk, the characters well formed. All in ju ...more
Michael Parker
An Excellent view into the Skorne culture. I'm much more interested in the fiction and fluff surrounding this faction after reading this story.
John Jeter
Fanboy all day.

The world of Hordes and war machine is rich. I savour every morsel. Tell me more of honor and warriors.
Jason
Very fun and loaded with action. This novella offers a great view into what haksune is and the the Skorne are. A great read from a favored author.

My only wish, and this is for everything from Skull Island Expeditions, is that this was a full novel. I have loved every SIX novella so far and can't wait to see a full length novel from them.
Evan
Really gives you a look at the ideal Skorne archetype. I enjoyed learning about Makeda's background as much as I enjoyed the glimpses of the Skorne society. I look forward to future releases in this universe.
Shane Fraughton
My favorite novella from Skull Island X so far. Very interesting character and full of action. Can't wait for a full length book in this setting from this author.
Scott Carmody
A nice samurai style novella. 5 star if you are a fan of the Warmachine/Hordes world. The book follows Makeada and her rise to power in the Skorne Empire.
Oscar Oelrich
Great! This was the first SIX short novel for me and it lived up to my expectations. Love it when she feats! Oh, and the fury mechanic really shines through :)
Ian James
the more and more i read these books the more and more i want PP to release character models of certain side characters in the story
Matthew Dame-Brusie
Matthew Dame-Brusie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
James Marz
James Marz marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Pete
Pete marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Miquette
Miquette marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
James Haumann
James Haumann marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Chidi Aningo
Chidi Aningo marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Daniel Mills
Daniel Mills marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Rocko Rocha
Rocko Rocha marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Tayabah Khan
Tayabah Khan marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
  • The Butcher of Khardov
  • In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles
  • Master of Devils (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Plague of Shadows (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Winter Witch
  • Space Eldritch
  • Dog and Dragon
  • The Worldwound Gambit (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Return to Honor (Powder Mage, #1.5)
  • City of the Fallen Sky (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Beginnings (Worlds of Honor, #6)
  • The Crimson Pact Volume One (The Crimson Pact #1)
  • Nightglass (Pathfinder Tales)
  • The Red Winter (The Tapestry, #5)
  • Burdens of the Dead (Heirs of Alexandria, #4)
  • Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
  • Deadlocked 4 (Deadlocked, #4)
  • Lucky Thirteen (Frontlines, #2.1)
Larry Correia is the New York Times bestselling author of the Monster Hunter International series, the Grimnoir Chronicles, and the thriller Dead Six.
More about Larry Correia...

The Warlock Sagas (2 books)
  • Mutagenesis (The Warlock Sagas #2)
Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1) Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2) Hard Magic (Grimnoir Chronicles, #1) Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3) Monster Hunter Legion (Monster Hunter International, #4)

“You only understand the concept of victory. Makeda does not comprehend the concept of defeat.” 0 likes