Start by marking “The Avery Shaw Experiment (Science Squad, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Avery Shaw Experiment (Science Squad, #1)

The Avery Shaw Experiment (Science Squad #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,155 Ratings  ·  1,058 Reviews
When Avery Shaw’s heart is shattered by her life-long best friend, she chooses to deal with it the only way she knows how—scientifically.

Published May 4th 2013 by Bluefields (first published May 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Avery Shaw Experiment, please sign up.

Alina You could buy it online on book depository :)
It's free shipping worldwide so you don't have to worry about paying extra :))

…more
You could buy it online on book depository :)
It's free shipping worldwide so you don't have to worry about paying extra :))

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsFalling for the Ghost of You by Nicole ChristieLola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie PerkinsMy Fair Godmother by Janette RallisonThe Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade
Young Adult Romantic Comedy
8th out of 265 books — 425 voters
Fangirl by Rainbow RowellHow to Date a Nerd by Cassie MaeHow to Seduce a Band Geek by Cassie MaeThe Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly OramThe Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller
YA Nerd/Geek Books
4th out of 132 books — 204 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly Oram
Mar 24, 2013 Kelly Oram added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Yay for new books! This one is told from both main characters' points of view--a first for me.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Nov 08, 2015 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Muse-ic

There really isn’t anything new about the story. It’s your typical YA romantic-comedy, definitely not free of flaws and tropes but fun and entertaining. I actually finished this in one sitting. It’s a super light read which I’m sure you will enjoy too if you wouldn’t take it too seriously. Lol!

Avery (your certified nerdy stereotype who is very pretty but is absolutely clueless about it and about almost everything else *rolls eyes*) is heartbroken and wants to process her broken heart in a “scie
Justjay Go
May 18, 2013 Justjay Go rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-fav, ya
Grayson

Grayson stepped behind me and I felt a pair of hands grip my upper arms...."Dancing, is about feeling, not thinking."

He lifted one of my arms above my head and rested it on the back of his neck. My fingers instinctively dug into his soft, thick hair. I hadn't told them to do that. I felt his cheeks lift into a smile against the side of my head, as if he fully approved of my actions.

"Now we move together."

Avery

"You think I'm gross?" Grayson asked.

"Yes, I do. You are so horny it's unhe
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Actual rating : 2.5 stars (if you disagree with me, see my edit below)

My theory is that The Avery Shaw Experiment isn't a contemporary romance but a fairy tale.

Hypothesis : She is the perfect picture of a Damsel in Distress.

Evidence #1 : She doesn't know how to deal with emotions and loss alone. Like, at all. She needs everyone all the time. Of course I understand she has issues with social interactions. I get it, really. However I'd have appreciated if she had less seemed like a bag others mu
Rachel Maniacup
Nov 26, 2015 Rachel Maniacup rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rachel by: Muse-ic
This book is exactly what I was looking for to get me out of my reading slump. Good thing,I checked out AJ and MUSE-IC's reviews on this,that made me dive in it right away!^^

The story is of course about Avery Shaw's Experiment,where this 17 year old geek,who has a social anxiety disorder(a shy girl)but is so pretty,brainy,and funny has to undergo the seven stages of grief over her broken heart.

Avery had an unhealthy interconnected relationship with Andie Kennedy,her bestfriend since childhood,an
Norah Una Sumner

description

Sweet and funny story but I'm giving it 3.5 stars because I didn't particularly like the main character and her naivety - seems like the only things she knows how to do is blush. The whole experiment of curing a broken heart is definitely an original and interesting aspect of this book and I loved reading about Avery overcoming her fears, no matter how (sometimes) childish they were. Aiden... I don't even know what to say about this guy. He tries to justify his actions but I still didn'
Jess
Apr 23, 2013 Jess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc, e-books
I love this book! When I first heard of it I was definitely intrigued which can always be a good thing or a bad thing. In this case, it was definitely good. I am becoming a huge fan of Kelly's books. This is one of those books where anyone around you will think your crazy because you will be making some crazy faces and talking to the book (just ask my family and friends).

gasp photo: GASP. GASP.gif ugly crying photo: New Girl - Jess - Ugly Crying tumblr_inline_mknkedlOfG1qz4rgp_zpseacbc94d.gif laughing photo: laughing monkey t2172193-9-thumb-laughing20monkey.gif screaming photo: Annie Screaming AnnieScream_zps0da01f7e.gif happy dance photo: Happy Dance funny-gif-boy-dancing-glasses_zps31b6ee6d.gif

See what I'm saying.

Avery grew up with Aiden and Grayson Kennedy. Avery has been madly in love with Aiden. They were in
Didi
4.5 STARS

This was such a fantastic book! Sweet, funny, romantic and with such an original premise and great secondary characters, I loved it. Even being YA, it was just as enjoyable for me. The idea of taking the stages of grief and applying them to mending a broken heart was smart and interesting to watch.
Avery has been in love with her best friend since they were born. Sharing the same birthday and having moms who were best friends, it was inevitable for her to develop strong feelings for Aid
Jan 14, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-romance, hahaha
Cliche everywhere but, damn right, it was entertaining. Now, I want me some more Kelly Oram books. ;)
Djezelle
Mar 18, 2016 Djezelle rated it really liked it
«Эксперимент Эйвери Шоу» - это типичный подростковый YA роман. Забавная, веселая, но полная клише и штампов присущих «милым романчикам» и «историям о Золушках».

Это книга для расслабления, на один вечер. Хочу отметить, что по сюжету книга напоминает мангу или аниме в жанре сёдзё. Читали или смотрели? Если да, тогда поймете, что я имею в виду. Если нет, то попробую пояснить.

Сёдзё – это особый вид японских произведений, ориентированный в первую очередь на слабый пол. Отличительными чертами являются
Julia
Mar 02, 2016 Julia rated it did not like it
Once upon a time there was a girl. She read a lot of books and wasn't really picky. Sometimes she read sci-fi, sometimes — paranormal romance, sometimes — fantasy, sometimes — contemporary novels. From time to time this girl was in a girly-girl mood and wanted to read some fluffy&sugary sweet contemporary novels. And once upon a time she came across The Avery Shaw Experiment.

I don't have any expectations when it comes to fluffy reads. They are what they are. Easy, light, short, funny. But Th
Katy
May 05, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing
Oram's best work YET! I picked this up for my biggest Kelly Oram fan (and no, I wasn't referring to a girl), and I've had mixed feelings about her other books, but I absolutely LOVED this one.

Five pages in, I just KNEW that I was going to love Grayson. He was SO adorably charming, and the little exchange with his mother just made me swoon! By the end of the chapter, I had just about died. I love it. I love it. I love it.

And the rest of the book? It did NOT disappoint. Grayson kept up his witty c
Daiane
Jun 02, 2015 Daiane rated it really liked it
I hate how it's like 2AM and I really couldn't go to sleep until I finished this book. Now I'm too happy to go to sleep. I really love Oram's light writing.

Review to come.
Mel Viera
Jun 09, 2013 Mel Viera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Habiendo pasado por exactamente lo mismo que Avery, no pude parar de llorar en todo el maldito libro, incluso cuando me estaba riendo. Con cada página que leía, mi corazón se estrujaba de sólo pensar cuán increíble hubiera sido tener a un Grayson Kennedy en ese momento. Tal vez debería comenzar a entrar a los cuartos de baño sin golpear... jajaja :')

Kelly, lo hiciste de nuevo. Es imposible describir con palabras lo mucho que me gusta y admiro tu trabajo. Sin duda, sos una de mis escritoras favor
Gabrielle
OMG OMG OMG I LOOOOVED this book I loved Grayson I loved Grayson I hated the decisions Avery made but I loved how Grayson was like her protecter ... I loved how for the most part Grayson was always there for Avery I was hooked I'm so happy I read this.... AMAZING !!! Guys if ur skeptical get it u will not regret it if u love romance like I do I just HAD to say something ugh so amazing!!!!!;)
♥ Sarah

I.
Loved.
This.

***
+ 1 for the DUAL prologue, epilogue, and POV shifts!
+ 1 for the HUMOR, WIT, and ENDEARING dialogue! Honestly, I loved Avery & Grayson's banter. They had some serious chemistry goin' on.
+ 1 for the pacing; I loved the different "stages" of grieving, and how Avery & Grayson's relationship never felt rushed. It wasn't too slow, either.
+ 1 for the character development! Avery and Grayson were well fleshed out, and I had So. Much. Fun getting to know them :)
+ 1 for the plot a
bookaholic_kim
Jan 10, 2016 bookaholic_kim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young adult readers
Recommended to bookaholic_kim by: Rachel Maniacup
A typical young adult story that is light, fast read and a page turner. The plot and the ending is so predictable but I still enjoyed reading it and definitely love the characters.

Avery Shaw chose to experiment on love for the science fare project. If there are 7 stages of grief then maybe she can find stages to heal a broken heart through social experiments.

Her best friend, Aiden broke her heart and now Grayson, Alden's brother became her science partner to earn credits at school and is willin
Henz
Okay I’ve been feeling a little stressed lately and thank the universe because reading this book was as good as eating ice cream and chocolates except it doesn’t make you FAT so YAY!!! That’s right baby …. No guilt!

Avery got rejected by her childhood friend Aiden and she wanted to cure her broken heart by undergoing the five stages of grief and present this experiment in their Science Fair, since her partner Aiden backed out to join the debate club she needs “Grayson” the school hottie and Aide
Elle (Ligia)
This book was every bit as perfect as I thought it would be when I first read the summay and more.

Talk about warm-your-heart-cute. I absolutely loved this book. It was adorable. It has humor, cute moments that will ensure your cheeks hurt from ginning, and a little heartbreak. It is, for sure, one of those books that leave you in a happy cloud after you are done.

Katie
Feb 21, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!

This was a cute read and I enjoyed it a lot. I like the whole idea of Avery's experiment and I liked how she slowly became more confident of herself but during the early parts of the story, I found her really annoying and too immature for her age. What I liked most about the story though is Grayson! I enjoyed his character so much! Funny, cute, sexy and super sweet! Overall, this was a fun, light read.
Miss Fifi
Mar 23, 2016 Miss Fifi rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-me-bitching
4 Full-Of-Cute-Experiments Stars

Here's the cute cover:

description

And the blurb just for random information lol

The state science fair is coming up and Avery decides to use her broken heart as the topic of her experiment. She’s going to find the cure. By forcing herself to experience the seven stages of grief through a series of social tests, she believes she will be ab
Kari
"Repentinamente Avery Shaw había interrumpido mucho más que sólo mi ducha. Se metió en mi cabeza de una manera que nunca creí posible, e incluso ganó cierto camino a mi corazón.."

"Sobrestimé completamente mi capacidad para manejar su.. no sé como llamarlo. Graysonedad supongo. Es tan confiado, carismático, tranquilo, hermoso y coqueto. Y completamente gobernado por sus hormonas"

Una novela muy linda, divertida y fácil de leer.

Avery Shaw ha estado enamorado de su mejor amigo Aiden desde que ti
Ariana
Mar 20, 2015 Ariana rated it it was ok
Shelves: by-color-yellow
This was pretty cute, I think.

After the beginning (that had me laughing like crazy) I was expecting a bit more battering between the main characters, but the G boy started to get all soft and sentimental and also there were some awkward/embarrassing-like-hell moments regarding Avery's long life crush. Adding to this the fact that family, friends, teachers, they all knew about her love life and interfered somehow, and you might understand why I had to hide my face in my pillow a few times.
Still,
Tina
May 05, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!

Loved it, loved it, LOVED IT! The Avery Shaw Experiment was as enjoyable as I hoped/expected it would be!(: The only complaint I have is that I wish it were a bit longer (though that's just a personal preference). Some transitions could have easily been expanded to add onto the story, but Kelly Oram does a good job at shortening the scenes where it doesn't ruin the story.

My favorite character isn't Avery or Grayson (though I do absolutely love them!), but Avery's nerdy best friend Libb
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
Absolutley fantastic YA book...As a med student ,I absolutely loved the way she theorized love...lol.....but if I ever do have to go through this kinda stupid heartbreak.all over again....I do hope I get a guy like Grayson to be a part of the most romantic experiments of all times.."The Avery Experiment ;)
Glory
Jul 07, 2015 Glory rated it really liked it
Я помню автора еще по похождениям супергероини Джейми Бейкер, и здесь встретила все тот же приятный язык, ненавязчивый юмор и легкий флер безумства)
Милейшая история - в лучшем смысле этого слова))
Не сироп и сопли, а бесконтрольная улыбка и бабочки в животе.
Annabelle
May 03, 2015 Annabelle rated it really liked it
Recommended to Annabelle by: Gabrielle
Shelves: favorites
The gif below summarises my feelings quite accordingly while reading this book.

(view spoiler)

I needed some cute contemporary romance and that is what I got and I enjoyed it far too much. I had no trouble with the story nor with any of the characters (except Mindy and a little with Aiden), but I understood the sacrifices of characters and in order to cause certain events and have a decent plot.

Did I love
Nitzan Schwarz
Aug 26, 2014 Nitzan Schwarz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary

One of the, possibly THE cutest/sweetest stories ever! *Squee*
Ladies and Gentlemen, Kelly Oram has done it again. Not that I had any doubt. I mean, this author got a hold on me with her book Being Jamie Baker, and by now I would read anything she ever writes. And this book... I mean... I can't even... *melts from the adorableness*

Truly, I don't know how Oram does it. I enjoyed every second of this story. It was all so funny, or adorable, or emotional, or swoon worthy. I laughed out loud, my hea
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Jul 30, 2015 Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts! rated it really liked it
I REALLY NEEDED THIS.

Navdha
I'm usually all in for a cute, fun, fluffy read but this book....

Arggghhh!

This book is so full of cliched characters and stereotypes, that my head hurts.

Where should I even begin?

Avery is one of those naive and weak characters I've ever had the displeasure to read (*cough*BellaSwanincludedofcourse*cough*). Imagine a girl who can do nothing but cry over every little thing whether she's happy or devastated, imagine someone who is your stereotypical geek with a fruity mouth-watering smell (I won
  • American Girl on Saturn (Saturn, #1)
  • Ryan Hunter (Grover Beach Team, #2)
  • Reasons I Fell for the Funny Fat Friend
  • The Other Fish in the Sea (Grab Your Pole, #2)
  • Dizzy
  • Unmaking Hunter Kennedy
  • A Game Worth Watching
  • Secret Life
  • Switched
  • Decked with Holly
  • The Summer I Became a Nerd (Nerd, #1)
  • Play With Me (Grover Beach Team, #1)
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
  • Dante's Girl (The Paradise Diaries, #1)
  • Romancing the Bookworm
  • The Academy
  • From What I Remember...
  • Pwned
3203095
Kelly Oram wrote her first novel at age fifteen–a fan fiction about her favorite music group, The Backstreet Boys, for which family and friends still tease her. She's obsessed with reading, talks way too much, and loves to eat frosting by the spoonful. She lives outside of Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and four children.
More about Kelly Oram...

Science Squad (2 books)
  • The Libby Garrett Intervention (Science Squad, #2)

“I’ve got news for you, Aves. When a guy says he wants to take you out in the name of science, he’s totally full of it. He really just wants to take you out.”

“But you’ve taken me out like a million times for the experiment. You kissed me once in the name of science.

“Exactly.”
108 likes
“Somewhere between the shower and the Red Bull I fell in love with you, Aves. I’m talking epically. There is no coming back from a fall like mine.” 65 likes