Start by marking “Days of Rakes and Roses (Sons of Sin, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Days of Rakes and Roses (Sons of Sin, #1.5)

Days of Rakes and Roses (Sons of Sin #1.5)

Lady Lydia Rothermere has spent the past decade trying to make up for a single, youthful moment of passion. Now the image of propriety, Lydia knows her future rests on never straying outside society's rigid rules, but hiding away the desire that runs through her is harder than she could have ever dreamed. And as she prepares for a marriage that will suit her family, but ...more
Published July 2nd 2013 by Forever Yours

To ask other readers questions about Days of Rakes and Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days of Rakes and Roses

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

4 romantic, sexy, lovely stars!

With her amazing story, Claiming the Courtesan, Anna Campbell instantly became one of my favorite historical romance authors! The way she tells a tale, I become part of the story; living the life, the hopes, the dreams, the passion, and getting caught up in a world I never want to leave. And she’s doing it again with her Sons of Sin series.

The Story -

Days of Rakes and Roses is book 1.5 in the series, and a truly lovely second-chance-romance, the second chance comi
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Nov 06, 2014 Katrina Passick Lumsden rated it did not like it
I can't be the only person who read this novella and thought it didn't make a lick of goddamn sense. I hated Lydia, Simon was a tool, Cam was inconsistent, and Grenville was just a convenient tool (in more ways than one) for creating tension.

A sloppy, nonsensical farce that had me wanting the heroine to end up alone.
Jonetta
Sep 03, 2014 Jonetta rated it really liked it
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Lady Lydia Rothermere was caught in a compromising situation 10 years ago with Simon Metcalf. She spent the years in between being a paragon of virtue and modest behavior. He left the country and, rumor has it, lived the life of a rake. Now he's back when she's just days from marrying a man she doesn't love.

I really liked how the story starts with Lydia's point of view and then shifts to Simon's. The picture she paints of him gets redrawn once I discovered wh
Becca
Oct 13, 2016 Becca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not get through this. I hate to say that about an Anna Campbell book, but this novella decidedly did not work for me. I stopped at the 50% mark. Campbell still had a great vocabulary and the premise of a couple that have been in love forever is a winner, so why didn't it work?

1. There was very limited dialogue. There would be a sentence and then pages of narrator explanation or internal angst. I would forget what had even been said and it no longer felt like a story.

2. Some of the phrasi
Nas Dean
Jul 04, 2013 Nas Dean rated it it was amazing
DAYS OF RAKES AND ROSES by author Anna Campbell is July 2013 release.

Lady Lydia Rothemere doesn't want anymore scandal. She had to ignore Simon Metcalf and go ahead with her planned wedding with another man.

But she couldn't really forget that one passionate kiss she shared with Simon when she was seventeen, could she? Now he was here again, ten years later and asking her not to marry a man who left her cold. Could she put her trust in Simon again?

After all Simon had left her and gone. Left her t
Zoe
Sep 27, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this novella better than the 4.5 novella!

Granted, it was all very convenient. 10 years of separation and the hero Simon returned on the betrothal ball of our heroine Lydia. Makes one wonder why Simon hadn't returned earlier, if he loved Lydia as much as he said. I appreciate the fact that Anna Campbell moved the story forward smoothly, touching the past without dwelling in it for too long. It is a novella after all. It was quick and to the point, we were introduced to the main
Caz
Oct 02, 2013 Caz rated it liked it
This was a well-written novella featuring the sister of Cam Rothermere, Duke of Sedgemoor (who appeared briefly in Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed), whose story will presumably be told in a future book in the Sons of Sin series.

At seventeen, Lady Lydia Rothermere and Simon Metcalf were desperately in love - but after catching them almost in flagrante delicto, her dictatorial father packed him off abroad, threatening to ruin Simon and his family if he ever came near Lydia again.

Ten years later, Lyd
Melanie
Dec 06, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This was such a great fast & furious [pun intended] short novella.

The couple, Simon and Lydia gets separated after their youthful indiscretion, but these two never forgot that incident, and both were forced by their parents to deal with the repercussions in a best way they saw fit, regardless of the young couple’s feelings.

My heart broke for these two, and Ms. Campbell wrote their emotions so well that I couldn’t help but feel for them!

After a full decade, just as our heroine is ready to tak
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Days of Rakes and Roses was originally released in July 2013 but regrettably it was not available to purchase in the UK until earlier this year. In the intervening three years, I read all the other books in the excellent Sons of Sin series. Now reading this lovely second-chance romance is just like enjoying a small but delicious dessert after the main course and I can definitely confirm that it can be read as a standalone.

I adore Simon. He truly loved Lydia but, when her father caught them in a
Maggie Hesseling
Dec 12, 2013 Maggie Hesseling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Sometimes our past haunts us. Sometimes it's our past relationships that keep holding us back. That is until we do something about it. Such is the case for Simon. After years of traveling the globe trying to forget Lydia. Until he hears that she's engaged. All he can do is hope that he can convince her that their love is still there and that it's worth it.
Alison
Mar 03, 2016 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still can't believe how well this works as a novella. No rush to finish at the end, no confusion over characters.

From the flashback at the beginning we are locked in Lydia and Simon's world and are rooting for them. I really loved this book.

I wish we'd had access to it earlier in the UK.
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
I don't really know what to say, this was all around cliched and horrible. I understand it is a novella but everything was rushed,flowery, and illogical due to the lacking character development. The synopsis has more depth than the actual tale.
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Kimberly
Jun 19, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2013/06...

Scandal has long followed Lady Lydia Rothermere’s family, which is why she tries desperately to follow society’s rules to a T. Now engaged to a man perfectly suited to her needs, Lydia can see her life laid out before her. If part of her rebels at the notion of living without passion, well, then she can at least find comfort in the fact that she is upholding her family name. Then a man from her past appears, threate
Farrah
Jul 04, 2013 Farrah rated it really liked it
A story about lovers reunited, this book was so sweet. Days of Rakes and Roses was a lovely historical romance novella and a wonderful read.

Lydia and Simon were in love and intent of being together years ago. However, Lydia's father found out and tore the couple apart. He sent Simon away and made sure that Simon knew that pursuing Lydia further meant ruin for him and him family. Heartbroken for 10 years, the lovers are finally back together and things get interesting. Throw in regret, resentment
Jul 29, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
"Days of Rakes and Roses" is the 1.5 novel in the Sons of Sins series by Anna Campbell featuring Lady Lydia, sister of Cam Rothermere who will soon have his own book in the series.

She's 17 and she's head over heels over Simon Metcalf, second son and presumed riff raff according to her Duke father. She's always loved him and never fully believed he reciprocated those feelings, but one day when he finally kisses her does she believe his feelings. She's close to letting him ruin her, but they are i
Adria (Romance Reviews)
Jul 06, 2013 Adria (Romance Reviews) rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Adria's Romance Reviews

What a fun novella! I usually avoid them because 98% of the time I'm left unsatisfied, but this novella felt like a full novel from beginning to middle to ending. As part of the Sons of Sin series, Days of Rakes and Roses has some familiar faces in the form of Jonas Merrick, Camden Rothermere and Sir Richard Harmsworth, the hero of the upcoming full length novel A Rake's Midnight Kiss.

Days of Rakes and Roses is Lady Lydia Rothermere's story and a story
Katie Michaels
Aug 22, 2013 Katie Michaels rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a sweet and sexy second-chance- at-love story, look no further. This one hit the spot for me!

Lydia has spent the last 10 years mourning her chance lost love with Simon. They were caught in her father’s barn together –just before they could, er, cross the threshold in their relationship. Her father tossed him out and Simon left the country. Even though her father died five years ago, she has heard nothing from him. And no man has ever made her feel what Simon did. At some p
Patricia
Jan 25, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing
The reckless Rothermere parents left their children social maze with very few outlets to live in. Following a youthful, but major, indiscretion, Lady Lydia is finally to marry a staid older man. Her love is still for the man involved with her fall from family grace, but he fled to the continent instead of standing by her. Her brother, with his own social handicaps, fears for his sister...should she marry as planned, he foresees a long, miserable life.
Simon only left because he had no choice. Ha
Juliana Philippa
Light, sweet read. It's a novella, so I gave it some passes on things (Simon has been falling in love with Lydia, yet that one kiss is the first time she sees any romantic interest on his part, even though she's loved him forever? He still stayed away after her father died? etc.).

I thought the premise of the heroine was interesting — in this instance, a scandal caused her to swing in the completely opposite direction, but it wasn't really a scandal because it's not known about by anyone; it didn
Maria
Jan 10, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
Note: page references refer to an ePUB version.

Book number 1.5 in Anna Campbell's sensual and deliciously gothic Sons of Sin series.
Rakes refers to Simon’s reputation (as well as Lydia’s brother Cam’s) while roses were Lydia’s signature scent and favorite flower. I always enjoy finding the title in the story and interpreting its meaning.

This was a lovely romance punctuated by some angsty drama: Simon’s return after ten years’ absence, Lydia’s passionless existence and engagement to an influenti
Kristina
Jul 27, 2013 Kristina rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed this novella!

Unlike some novellas that feel like they could be expanded on or feel like something is missing, this felt like it was complete. A tad fast maybe, but it also felt like Lydia and Simon always had a fast relationship as well. I could picture them running as kids along with Cam, or dodging servants to cause mischief, that sort of thing.

Also, (view spoiler)
Jackie Lynn
I really did not like this novella. I don't have a specific reason as to why I didn't like it, but it just felt forced.

I understand that it was a novella, but the author spent most of the book talking about how they both felt. I was kind of bored to be honest.

I also felt that Lydia was an idiot. She didn't use her free will and never said what she felt, until the very end that is.

Helen
Jul 12, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing
Truly amazing story after years of seperation Simon Metcalf comes back to try and claim the woman he has always loved Lady Lydia and stop her from marrying someone she does not love. I fell into this one and didn't want to put it down another magical story my MS Campbell
Barbara
Apr 16, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This was a very good novella. I loved that it kept you engaged. I didn't want to put it down. Will be reading more of her books.
Jenny E
Jan 03, 2015 Jenny E rated it really liked it
I usually don't like novellas, but I have recently ready three by this new-to-me author and have really enjoyed them. This was no exception!
Ana Maria Rînceanu
While I really like Anna Campbell writing, the fact that the hero becomes overcome with lust at every step is annoying.
Glynda Roy
Dec 21, 2013 Glynda Roy rated it it was amazing
Great read!!!
Aug 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
can't wait to read the rest of the series
Louise Risser
Oct 10, 2016 Louise Risser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another well written book by Anna Campbell

Just finished this book by Anna Campbell. It was well written, the story flowed nicely, and I liked the main characters.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 19, 2015 07:08AM
  • The Earl with the Secret Tattoo (House of Brady, #1.5)
  • To Challenge the Earl of Cravenswood (Wicked Wagers, #3)
  • The Counterfeit Mistress (Fairbourne Quartet, #3)
  • The Accidental Prince (Accidental, #4)
  • Have You Any Rogues? (Rhymes With Love, #2.5)
  • To All the Rakes I've Loved Before (Honeycote, #1.5)
  • How to Marry a Highlander (Falcon Club, #3.5)
  • The Devil's Pearl (House of Trent, #0.5)
  • And Then Comes Marriage (Worthington, #2)
  • With This Kiss: Part Two
  • What a Wicked Earl Wants (The Sinful Scoundrels, #1)
  • Never Seduce A Scoundrel (Foxe Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Beauty and the Blacksmith  (Spindle Cove, #3.5)
  • When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
I've written ten multi award-winning full-length historical romances for Grand Central Publishing and Avon HarperCollins (available in print and digital) and my work is published in seventeen languages. Look out for my indie novellas, too. Most recently I've been engaged in the Dashing Widows series, latest release WINNING LORD WEST (April 2016). I live on the beautiful east coast of Australia, ...more
More about Anna Campbell...

Sons of Sin (4 books)
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • A Rake's Midnight Kiss (Sons of Sin, #2)
  • What a Duke Dares (Sons of Sin, #3)
  • A Scoundrel by Moonlight (Sons of Sin, #4)

“Lydia finally found it in herself to forgive her mother for seizing what small joy she could, whatever the consequences. Love, it seemed, had its own imperatives.” 5 likes