Start by marking “I Love You Like Crazy Cakes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I Love You Like Crazy ...

Rose A. Lewis

I Love You Like Crazy Cakes

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Bestselling artist Jane Dyer and author Rose A. Lewis explore adoption through a mother's heartfelt story of finding her daughter in China.
Features:Read Aloud functionality [where available]
Book Description:How did someone make this perfect match a world away?

This story tells how two worlds come together to create a family, from a mother's first day holding her adopted
Published April 30th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You Like Crazy Cakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You Like Crazy Cakes

Blondie
As an adoptive parent, I am always on the search books to help reinforce or validate my children's experience with adoption.

My daughter loved the illustrations, and could really connect with the story as it was similar to her own in many ways.
Although we are a 2 parent family, I was pleased to find this story shared from a single adoptive mother's view, as that is so rarely the case with adoption books.

I would note a word of caution to those anticipating sharing it with your adopted child, howev
Julie
Ages 3-6.

I wanted to like this one more than I did. I don't think I would use this as a read-aloud in a classroom. The pictures are sweet, very beautiful. The concept is one that is often over looked, one of adoption.

But the book is written as a mother talking to her baby, and it's almost too personal to be generalized. Although I was reading to a seven year old, several times she would say, "Me?" after I read from the book, because it references "I" as the mother and "you" to refer to the bab
Kari Weber
Adopting a child is a hopeful and exciting time in a new parent’s life. This book is told from the perspective of a mother explaining her story to her new baby girl. She tells about the “big room” in China where her baby was kept with numerous other baby girls in shared cribs. All of them were taken care of by nannies but were missing what they really needed. She tells her daughter of their first few days together and about the excitement from friends and family when they returned home. Perhaps ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
This was one of the first children's adoption books that we bought. And still my favourite. Lovely illustrations and heartwarming text. I defy to get to the end of this book without crying!
Mary
Ages 3-8

From Booklist
Ages 4-8. The title sounds sweet, but this autobiographical story of a woman journalist's trip to China to adopt a baby girl seems less fictional sentiment than reportage. In a gentle manner just right for a picture-book audience, Lewis first explains China's current adoption and placement policies for baby girls. She then goes on to write about one special Chinese baby girl who had everything but a mother, and one American woman who had everything but a baby. "How did someo
Rachel Kenney
Grade/interest level: Early Elementary
Reading level: 550 Lexile
Genre: Picture Book (non-fiction)
Main Characters: Mother, daughter.
Setting: Mother's home, China
POV: Mother

This story is about a true story of a single mother who adopts a baby girl from China. First, the mom writes a letter to the people in China to ask for a child to adopt. They say yes and so the mother travels to a Chinese orphanage to get her new little baby. Here she meets other babies and cries when she gets to hold her ow
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

With I LOVE YOU LIKE CRAZY CAKES, author Rose Lewis brings to lifer her true story of adopting a baby from China. What begins as a letter to Chinese officials ends with bringing home a baby girl, to the delight of her new mother and extended family.

Jane Dyer's illustrations are soft and dreamy, and perfectly compliment the story of Rose and her daughter, Alexandra Mae-Ming Lewis. From that first time of holding her new daughter, to the first night alone
Linda
This is a sweet story of the connection made between a baby girl in China with no mother and a young American woman with no daughter. The story is told by the mother to her daughter of how the both cried when they met. They each knew then that they were destined to be together. Both were falling in love with one another. The mother describes how she took pictures and they played dress up with hats. When they flew home, they met her new American family. There were many visitors who brought her pr ...more
Brooke
I Love You Like Crazy Cakes by Rose A. Lewis is the winner of the Book Sense Book of the Year Honor Book for Children's Illustrated (2001). It is a sweet picture book for ages nursery to primary. Such a relaxing and “cozy” book, I remember how much I loved to cuddle up with my mom as she read this to me. It is about a young mother who adopts a baby. The woman travels to China, where she meets her new daughter and immediately, the two fall in love. Such a touching book, it really tugs on those he ...more
Brynn Sugarman
I recently reread this story, and it is a beautiful book for any child's library. "I Love You Like Crazy Cakes" presents the adoptive process in a personal and touching way. At once multicultural and alternative in its approach to building a family (the narrator is a single Caucasian mother who has adopted a Chinese baby girl,)the story speaks of longing and mutual need and a perfect fit made across the oceans, not just by governmental authorities but seemingly by something deeper and far more s ...more
Jackie
This touching story of a young woman’s journey to a far-away land is compelling and worrisome, yet joyous in the end. Although we do not know the young woman’s name, or the baby’s name, we have a sense that it could be any mother and child. All that truly matters is the love of parent for a child and child’s love for a parent, supplemented by the extended family’s love through support and acceptance.
This young mother wanted a child to love for as long as she could remember and so, many miles aw
Meg McGregor
One of the most beautiful books I have ever read about bringing a child of the heart into the home.

I adopted Katherine 21 years ago, when she was only 10 days old. Darryl and I had waited 8 long years for her. When she was put into my arms, I cried and cried from happiness. That memory is so vivid in my mind it seems like only yesterday!

I hope Katherine's birth mother knows how treasured our daughter is and I rejoice with Ms. Lewis on being able to bring her baby home.
Meg McGregor

I adopted Katherine 20 years ago, when she was only 10 days old. Darryl and I had waited 8 long years for her. When she was put into my arms, I cried and cried from happiness. That memory is so vivid in my mind it seems like only yesterday!

Elizabeth
I Love You Like Crazy Cakes is Rose Lewis's love letter to her adopted Chinese daughter, documenting Lewis's desire for a baby, the adoption process and the journey home. The story is mostly sweet and tender, and those moods are emphasized by Jane Dyers wonderful illustrations. However I found several lines in the book to be jarringly dispruptive. One of these, the most jarring, is "How did someone make this perfect match a world away? Did the Chinese people have a special window to my soul." Ha ...more
Lauren James
This is a cute book about adoption and the ultimate reconciliation between the birth family and the adopted family, and I'm sure it's valuable for children to have some look at their parents' view of the adoption. The illustrations are also beautiful. That said, at times I felt that the book's story was more generic than specific--this could be any adoption story (or at least any adoption story where the baby comes from China), and I wanted a better idea of how this mother and daughter, in parti ...more
Mia
I've always heard this book mentioned, so when my friend adopted a baby girl I decided to purchase it for her. I was disappointed. The illustrations were dull and uninteresting. The text was also on the same bland level.

The book only mentions a mother. Not really a problem since there are a lot of single parent adoptions, but my friend has a hubby and he felt left out. So she fixed this by typing up some cute little text and gluing it in the book. So, issue resolved for her.

So PROS for the book:
Heidi
Summary: This book is based on the true story of the author, who adopts a baby girl from China. While reading, you follow her journey through paperwork, the flight, being in the orphanage to finally being home with her new baby.

Reading Level: 2nd-5th

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: International Adoption

Use: Independent Reading & Read Aloud

Social Issues: Adoption

Literary Terms: This book shows sequence of events perfectly. You follow the author's adoption process step by step. If one step was take
Jaimee Huskins
This book is a cute story about how a little Chinese baby was adopted by her mom. It is a good story to explain how children get adopted and end up where they did. The pictures work very well with the story.
Brooke
Summary:
From Amazon.com Review
"Mother-love is profound, however a baby comes into a woman's life. For Rose Lewis, the journey to motherhood begins with a letter to Chinese officials, asking if she can adopt from the "big room with lots of other babies." The infants in that room in China are each missing a mother, but Lewis is missing something, too--a baby. She travels to China to meet her new little girl and falls head over heels in love. Taking her baby home to America, Lewis introduces her to
Beth F.
This was a drive-by read for me. I don’t have children so don’t find myself reading children’s books on a regular basis. However, I walked past a display of children’s books and was drawn in by the title: I Love You Like Crazy Cakes.

The book itself is a hardboard book, perfect for toddlers or young people who are still learning how to be gentle with books. This is a very touching story about a mother who flew to China to adopt a little girl and how quickly she fell in love with her upon meeting
Lauren White
About a Chinese adoption. Single mother. Definitely a text more for parents/child when old rather than a riveting children's text.
Crista
Adoption

This is a beautifully written and illustrated story documenting the authors own tale of how her child came into her world. The soft watercolor illustrations are the perfect touch for this warm heartfelt story. I love that the author writes this from a first person perspective to her daughter. This only accentuates the love and emotion she feels as she meets and brings home her daughter. The reader feels as though they are a “fly on the wall” in this special mother daughter moment.

This i
Esther
I think these books by Lewis are sweet and the pictures beautiful but they don't seem very applicable to many others. The text is very specfic to the author's and her daughter's story and experience of adoption. It will be most applicable to other families who have adopted from a Chinese orphanage. This book also hightlights a single woman adopting which is a family type you don't see in most of the adoptive picture books. I may use this book to help strengthen and validate adoption identity and ...more
Pam Carrie
This is a warm, fuzzy, sentimental story about the adoption of a Chinese daughter by a single parent, Rose Lewis. I love the way the entire family and culturally mixed friends welcome the new baby. I respect the way Ms. Lewis offers thanks and sweet references to the natural mother. It is a beautiful read-aloud and brings tears to the eyes of parents in my library. This book reminds me how I felt about the birth of my own two long-awaited children, who were born after 10 years of marriage.
Lana Hoffman
"A woman describes how she went to China to adopt a special baby girl. Based on the author's own experiences."
During a unit about family this would be a great book to read when talking about adoption. The language is simple and clear. The illustrations are very pretty! It makes the idea of adoption personal and easy to understand. As a reader you can really feel the author's joy when she adopted this little girl. It is a touching love story between a mother and her child.
Carrie Kitze
This is a beautifully illustrated book that deals with a single parent adopting from China. Only one of my children liked the book as a younger child. As she grew, she realized that the book isn't very true to the actual experience she had within the orphanage which wouldn't have made for such a happy book. I think this books speaks more to adoptive parents and the feelings they have about adoption.
Angela
Mar 26, 2009 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Jackie Marquardt
This is a beautiful and well-written little book about a mother adopting a baby from China. The delicate font and lovely, simple illustrations are a perfect complement to the narrative. The intended audience may be a fairly small niche, but for families involved in adoption - especially cross-culturally - this is a wonderful picture book that shouldn't be missed.
Skylar Burris
I think this would have been more accessible to a larger audience if it had been written in third person rather than second; as is, its appeal would be mainly to parents who have adopted a child, particularly if they have adopted a child from China. My daughter did seem to enjoy it, however, once I explained what adoption was and that the "you" did not refer to HER.
Erica
A lovely and beautiful book about a mother who travels to China to pick up her new baby girl. The story starts with all of the baby girls in cribs and ends with the baby girl sleeping in her new crib in the U.S.

The story is very sweet and heartwarming with beautiful illustrations. It's definitely one that adoptive moms will tear up while reading.
Chloe Jackson
I Love You Like Crazy Cakes is a great children's story about adoption. The story talks about a mother's journey to China to adopt a baby girl. I would probably read this book to a 1st or 2nd grade classroom especially if we're doing a unit on families. This book does a great job describing to children the international adoption process.
  • A Mother for Choco
  • Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born
  • Over the Moon: An Adoption Tale
  • black is brown is tan
  • Sam and the Lucky Money
  • The Family Book
  • Bringing In the New Year
  • I Wished for You: An Adoption Story
  • Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son: Abandonment, Adoption, and Orphanage Care in China
  • Abuela
  • Shades of Black: A Celebration of Our Children
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • Little Miss Spider
  • Red is a Dragon: A Book of Colors
  • Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew
  • Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • I Love You the Purplest