Start by marking “The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon” as Want to Read:
The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon

The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,994 Ratings  ·  1,152 Reviews
The definitive story of Amazon.com, one of the most successful companies in the world, and of its driven, brilliant founder, Jeff Bezos.

Amazon.com started off delivering books through the mail. But its visionary founder, Jeff Bezos, wasn't content with being a bookseller. He wanted Amazon to become the everything store, offering limitless selection and seductive convenienc
Published October 15th 2013 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Everything Store, please sign up.

Kristal Cooper I have, several times, and loved it. Best corporate job ever. There's individual competition but still a strong feeling of teamwork. The focus is on…moreI have, several times, and loved it. Best corporate job ever. There's individual competition but still a strong feeling of teamwork. The focus is on doing your absolute best work to make the customer happy.(less)
Mugen I'm sorry about this qs. I was just angry about some things while reading the book. Since my boss's over-pressurizing and micromanaging tactics have…moreI'm sorry about this qs. I was just angry about some things while reading the book. Since my boss's over-pressurizing and micromanaging tactics have cost me half a degree and a wrecked family life I felt really angry with Jeff.

Nevertheless, the book does bring out Jeff in a negative image (at least for me or maybe it's my bias).(less)
Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Everything Store by Brad StoneSteve Jobs Bio by J.T. OwensDelivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh
Business Biographies and Memoirs
3rd out of 106 books — 102 voters
Give and Take by Adam M. GrantThe Everything Store by Brad StoneThe End of Competitive Advantage by Rita Gunther McGrathThe End of Power by Moisés NaímScarcity by Sendhil Mullainathan
Financial Times Suggested List
2nd out of 15 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim
Jan 08, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I had heard scuttlebutt that the book was hostile to Amazon. I didn't find that to be the case at all. In fact, it increased my admiration for Jeff and what he and his team have accomplished.

To be sure, it is incomplete and doubtless has many inaccuracies, but it gives insight into the mind of a remarkable man and the company he has built - a company with profound influence on the present and future shape of our society.

After Steve Jobs died, everyone was saying "Will we ever see his like again?
La Petite Américaine
The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon is perfect for a specific group of people: job-seekers.

If you're currently looking for work, pick up a copy of this book, as it does convey a very important message. That is, never work at Amazon. And no, that message is not just for prospective employees who are thinking of braving the Jungle-esque conditions of the distribution centers. The message is for anyone thinking of joining any part of the company: never work at Amazon.

If you're n
Mal Warwick
Nov 20, 2013 Mal Warwick rated it really liked it
WHY I HATE AMAZONLCOM

I confess: I read this book on my Kindle — my eighth Kindle, no less! — and of course I bought the book from Amazon.com. As I have practically every other book I’ve read over the past eight or ten years. And I have to admit that I’ve bought lots of other stuff from the company over the years, including some really expensive items. Not so much because of the low prices, though I hardly object to them, as because of One-Click ordering, Amazon Prime, and the exceptionally good
Jennifer (aka EM)
Oct 15, 2013 Jennifer (aka EM) marked it as to-read
I really want to read this. I'm not kidding; this is not a protest review, or a thinly veiled taunt for deletion so as to provide fodder for the Hydra. That ship has sailed for me, and I find myself today starting to contemplate my own next steps vis-a-vis my increasingly tenuous participation on this site. And yet here I still am.

I want to understand what is happening, and why, to the goodreads that I love. There are not too many (are there?) who would disagree that a key, if not the key, is in
Bob Mayer
Jun 26, 2014 Bob Mayer rated it it was amazing
Amazon is both “missionary and mercenary” and is a line from Brad Stone, the author of The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon. That to me sums this book up.

Given recent events, aka Hachette-Amazon, it’s required reading for anyone involved in the publishing industry. I think Amazon customers should also read it.

Also, I suggest reading the reviews written by some of the people mentioned in the book, including Mr. Bezos wife. But only after reading the book.

I’m a bit surprised at
Suzanne
Dec 17, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it
I placed my first book order at Amazon in 1999. I was living in Ann Arbor at the time, within walking distance of the flagship Borders store. Because new books were expensive, I mostly shopped at a used book store down the street instead. The selection was unpredictable, but I loved browsing their overflowing shelves and finding titles that were harder to track down, either because they were old or out of print.

Amazon's selection certainly wowed me, and there were times that I did want a new bo
Grumpus
Nov 19, 2013 Grumpus rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, audiobook
The professional Jeff Bezos (pronounced BAY-zohs not BEE-zohs) is a hard-ass, bad-ass, or a superlative-free just plain ass. I’m not judging, just sayin’. It’s all perspective. If you are an employee or competitor, watch out. If you are a customer, you can count on an advocate with an obsession for customer service and getting the lowest prices anywhere.

Like today’s political environment, my impression of Amazon (no longer Amazon.com) is that it is polarized—people either love or hate the compan
Suzanne
Oct 28, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it
The cover of this book is actually a pretty good visual summary of what you find inside: a great look at Amazon and Jeff Bezos but with the real man (frustratingly) only coming through in part. While Jeff Bezos gave his support to the book, he didn't participate in the way that Steve Jobs did with Walter Isaacson's book. And it shows. So, for that reason, the book doesn't accomplish its goal of being "the definitive book" of Amazon.

Also, I found the book jumped around a lot so I'd sometimes won
Jonathan Leblang
Oct 15, 2013 Jonathan Leblang rated it really liked it
I found the book interesting and informative, to see how an outsider views both Jeff and Amazon. Of course, as with any book where the subject is not an active participant, the book is slanted toward those episodes where Stone can find someone to talk about them. And of course, he includes that which supports his thesis.

I found the discussion about his biological father to be sensationalistic -- and unnecessarily intrusive to Jeff's family (both his real family and his biological father's family
Nathan
Oct 22, 2013 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
There's an art to writing the business biography. This one couldn't figure out whether it was the Bezos story or the Amazon story, even though the two are intertwined, and didn't do an entirely perfect job of either. Amazon's very early startup days were short on detail, whereas the more proximal later ultra-competitive years were well described. Bezos's personality is explored but not charted. A book that opens as many questions as it answers.

What it does paint, though, is fascinating. Jeff Bez
Jorrit Van der Meulen
very fast read - having lived many of the situations. i don't think the portrayal of jeff was near balanced enough. he is relentless in his customer obsession and that's at the cornerstone of everything. i have been in uncomfortable meetings with him. but, i cannot hoestly say that i have ever been in unfair meetings with him. when i did things or led things that made that vein on his forhead pop out, in the end, it was pretty apparent in hindsight (for me) that i'd amde a mistake. so, he was ri ...more
Jess
May 19, 2015 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Ah yes. The book that launched a bitter and brutal flame war between Hachette and Amazon.com. How could I not read it?

I have to say, it took me awhile to realize what Jeff Bezos's problem was with the book. Because, well... from everything else I've read about Amazon, this shit is accurate. Don't like being characterized as a perfectionist, demanding, dictatorial genius? Then don't be one, Jeff Bezos. Don't like having your company's methods of skirting around established trade laws become know
Benjamin
Jun 23, 2014 Benjamin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, non-fiction
Overall I did enjoy this book. The question of accuracy really can't be answered by anyone besides the Man himself (not even his wife, I'd say). It paints a more detailed picture of Amazon, it's people, and the challenges it faced (with some mentions of its current and future issues) than any other book. If you're going to read one book about Amazon, I would probably recommend this one over One Click Jeff Bezos and the Rise of Amazon.com, mainly because Stone paints a much bigger picture here th ...more
Cristina Vega
Apr 02, 2016 Cristina Vega rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
LA PEOR TRADUCCION QUE HE LEÍDO EN MI VIDA!!!!!

Si alguien busca un ejemplo de como no traducir, este se lleva las 5 estrellas. Una obra de arte en sí misma que describe el horror de no entender lo que se traduce.

PD: El original en inglés es un muy buen libro si se quiere entender cómo Amazon llegó a ser lo que es. Compre el original, en español es una porquería.

Emily
This was an illuminating look at the growth of Amazon - I have too many highlights to count! It seems like Brad Stone wrote the best, most accurate book he could, given the fact that he couldn't interview Bezos himself. Even if a few of the early facts are wrong, like MacKenzie Bezos says in her Amazon review, I still feel like I got a picture of the beginnings and early culture of Amazon, and how that developed into the culture and structure that we exist in today.

I had no idea that eBay was c
Brendan Fortuner
Oct 18, 2013 Brendan Fortuner rated it really liked it
This is the best book about Amazon/Jeff on the market (of 2 or 3 others). As a current employee, much of what's inside rings true. My only criticism is that the frenetic back and forth in time within each chapter was a bit disorienting (though arguably similar to the work environment here). I also agree with Jeff when he says "it's too early to reflect." This book takes you to the seventh inning in a close game that could suddenly turn either way. Someone will have to write the follow up. Perhap ...more
Cher
Mar 25, 2016 Cher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub, nonfiction
4 stars - It was great. I loved it.

I think Jeff is one of the most capable and effective founders ever, and I think the Amazon juggernaut is still in its early stages. ~Joy Covey

Overall a fascinating story of the determined underdog coming out on top. While it does get bogged down in a few places with excessive technical or legal details, this was a really engaging read. I particularly found the more personal stories around Bezos to be fascinating and thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the b
Amr
Jul 01, 2015 Amr rated it liked it
This book is as much about Jeff Bezos as it's about Amazon. In a sense, Amazon is Jeff Bezos. It's shaped in his goals and style. This is good if you're (like me) are used to the Jeff Bezos you saw in product launches and interviews; smart, awkward, and nerdy. However, in this book, you get to meet another Jeff Bezos; bottom-line, cut-throat, wall-street type.
I've read about a lot of tech company leaders and this is the one I was surprised the most when I knew more about him.
The book offers a lo
Florence
Apr 19, 2014 Florence rated it really liked it
Amazon sounds like a hellish place to work. Controntation is encouraged, concensus is frowned upon. Employees come and go with astonishing frequency. Pay is low. Jeff Bezos, the founder and visionary of the company is a tyrant who loves to publicly humiliate his employees, implying that they are lazy or stupid. Yet Bezos is a billionaire and there is nothing our society values more than wealth. The company itself seems ethically challenged. They consciously attempt to drive competitors out of bu ...more
Rebecca
Oct 26, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
It's obvious that Jeff Bezos aided and abetted this book to be written, and why not? Just like Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, and other innovative entrepreneurs of this age, Bezos is brilliant, fearless, ruthless, and maniacal about his creation, Amazon.com. Working at Amazon, however, is *not like* working at Google right up the road: rampant conflict, confrontation, draconian frugality and in some cases, criticism to the point of employees experiencing post traumatic stress disorder. Bezos believe ...more
André Gomes
Oct 27, 2013 André Gomes rated it really liked it
I’ve learned that amazon's marketing strategy is its pricing strategy which is every day lower prices, aldo that they don't profit by selling things, but by helping customers to make better purchase decisions. Those are experiences that I have as a customer of AWS, and its was a great experience to learn more about the culture of this awesome company.

Steve Jobs interests defined Apple strategy (music/iTunes) as well as Jeff Bezzos interests defined Amazon strategy (books/Kindle).
Steve loved musi
Davy
Nov 16, 2015 Davy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the same vein of reading books a year after most of my friends do, I decided to picked this up. Ironically, I got a kick when they talked about how Kindle started up, while reading on a Kindle myself. I can't speak to the portrayal of Jeff B as others have on the Amazon book review, but I think after finishing the book, I am at awe at how far he has taken Amazon and admire his drive and tenacity.

I especially enjoyed the lore and telling of how alot of the current Amazon principles and proces
Ira
Aug 31, 2015 Ira rated it liked it
I picked this book up a few weeks ago while staying a close friends' house and was immediately hooked. I do not read a lot of business history books so I cannot assess where this book fits in the genre as far as writing. Overall, it was written fluidly and serviceably, thought I found that some of the attempts to divide up chapters were a bit choppy, particularly towards the end.

However, I am a dyed in the wool Amazon-prime junkie that uses it for media, has multiple kindle devices, uses Amazon
Michael
May 12, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
The Everything Store is a business-journalism take on Amazon and its founder Jeff Bezos. It's well done--there's nothing groundbreaking, but Brad Stone writes well and the story itself is pretty fascinating.

Bezos is a larger than life character: brilliant, passionate to the point of being a secular evangelist about his business, and lacking in social niceties. He isn't fun to work for; he's a perfectionist who will become irate over tiny errors, and who thinks work-life balance is something empl
Seth Fiegerman
Oct 26, 2013 Seth Fiegerman rated it really liked it
This is by far the most comprehensive look at the history and culture of Amazon, a secretive tech company not unlike Apple. It also serves as the closest thing to an official biography of its founder Jeff Bezos, which is a shame because it seems there is so much more still left to be written about him.

As Brad Stone explains, the idea for Amazon came while Bezos was working at a computer-driven hedge fund in New York. He and his boss brainstormed different business ideas that revolved around the
Brian
Nov 09, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it
(4.0) Impressed.

I was quite impressed with this book, coming from a journalist who had to walk a fine line given that he worked closely with Amazon's PR/spokespeople (well, not sure he had much choice there). I think he gives a good picture of Amazon's history, what makes it such a successful company and how Bezos has driven so much of what makes Amazon Amazon.

I have no way to assess the reported inaccuracies of Amazon's history (much has been discussed in reviews written by the insiders on amaz
Anton Solomonik
May 02, 2016 Anton Solomonik rated it really liked it
A gripping story of logistics and business. It talks about the underlying economic reality of things that, I feel like, most people aren't aware of or don't want to be aware of. I wish the prose were not so bland; I wish the narrator did more to emphasize the darkness and drama of the story. My favorite part is where they anger the German knife manufacturer, " with wavy, white hair and an avuncular smile, [who] has quite possibly never in his life been photographed without a sharp blade in his h ...more
Vigants Lesausks
May 27, 2014 Vigants Lesausks rated it it was amazing
This was one great pageturner. Have read it in just 2 evenings and I am really impressed by the contents. I believe it is very close to true in most episodes.

Book shows quite a bit of corporate culture in one of largest companies in the world. I personally have worked for Microsoft for several yars and see many of things really hapening inside the companies. I was very enjoing reading about heartless aquisition tactics for big companies and those winner take it all aproaches.

Book has quite some
Christopher Campbell
Nov 04, 2013 Christopher Campbell rated it really liked it
The everything store is now also selling its own Kool-Aid! 384 pages of it. But, that's not a bad thing.

Bezos et al. have indeed built a paradigm-shifting company, and this book opens a fascinating window into it.

Well-written, humorous, intelligent. In short an excellent read.

Except, might there have been more criticism directed towards the possible darker side of Amazon?

For instance the working conditions in the fulfillment centers, and the acquisition practices -- it's fair the author mentione
Harshit Shah
May 12, 2016 Harshit Shah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
'Steve Jobs' by Walter Isaacson, 'Elon Musk' by Ashlee Vance and now 'The Everything Store' by Brad Stone does an excellent job of giving a peak into 3 of the biggest tech revolutionaries of the 21st Century. Never knew Jeff Bezos can be so demanding behind the scenes at the cost of not compromising on the customer experience. A must read for all the people in love with Technology and who are interested in knowing more about the IT Revolution that changed the way we eat, work and sleep.

Clearly d
Author here 8 109 Jun 16, 2014 10:34AM
Minneapolis City ...: The Everything store 1 14 Apr 14, 2014 12:56PM
The Kindle Chroni...: TKC 273 with Brad Stone 3 32 Oct 30, 2013 08:42AM
  • Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship, and Betrayal
  • Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution
  • The Firm: The Story of McKinsey and Its Secret Influence on American Business
  • The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work
  • The Billionaire's Apprentice: The Rise of The Indian-American Elite and The Fall of The Galleon Hedge Fund
  • Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money
  • Marissa Mayer and the Fight to Save Yahoo!
  • In the Plex: How Google Thinks, Works, and Shapes Our Lives
  • Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • Age of Context: Mobile, Sensors, Data and the Future of Privacy
  • Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry
  • Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
  • Only the Paranoid Survive
  • The Frackers: The Outrageous Inside Story of the New Billionaire Wildcatters
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company
219908
I am a senior writer for Bloomberg Businessweek and the author of "The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon," which won the Business Book of the Year Award in 2013 from The Financial Times and Goldman Sachs.

Over the last few years, I have authored over a dozen cover stories for Businessweek on companies such as Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Yahoo, Twitter, Costco and the Chinese s
More about Brad Stone...

“When you are eighty years old, and in a quiet moment of reflection narrating for only yourself the most personal version of your life story, the telling that will be most compact and meaningful will be the series of choices you have made. In the end, we are our choices. —Jeff Bezos, commencement speech at Princeton University, May 30, 2010” 13 likes
“It’s easier to invent the future than to predict it.” 7 likes