Start by marking “The Boxer” as Want to Read:
The Boxer

The Boxer

Hard-hitting historical fiction

Ever since his father ran off two years before, fifteen-year-old Johnny Woods has struggled to help support his ma and five siblings, sacrificing his own schooling in the process. Still, there's been hardly enough money each month to make the rent, and Johnny's dream of a house in Brooklyn, away from the tenement slums, is out of reach.

Then J
Published September 10th 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Boxer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boxer

Nolan Mosby
Oct 06, 2016 Nolan Mosby rated it really liked it
I thought this book was pretty good. I read it at first because I thought it was corny. But it suprised me. So yeah.... I guess... um.... Yep. Ok im done
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {the crownless}
I read this when I was 13.
Another winner of the 'coveted' (be honest, do you know what it is?) Sequoyah booklist award, The Boxer is one hell of a story.
Fifteen-year-old Johnny Woods is struggling to support his mother and siblings, filled with rage towards his absentee' father, and just looking for a break.
Though boxing is illegal in 1885 New York City, Johnny steps into the LPR (London Prize Ring) fighting scene at a bar in order to win the fifty-dollar purse.
This just so happens to be the nig
Bryan
Apr 12, 2013 Bryan rated it really liked it
Jab jab right hand i hit the book The boxer how intresting book I read. This novel The Boxer made me remined me of a other book I read The boxer and The spy. The book The boxer was a great book but it was just to long for me I am more into small book but this time i challanged my self.What make this boook unique is it show how life in history stuggled to find a job and get money these people in the past use to do anything to get money for ther family. The main charater in this story is Jonhy he ...more
Chris
Mar 04, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
If your the type of person who enjoys fighting or success or even how a family who lives in the worst conditions and become successful then this book is good for you. The Boxer is based on a young teen named johnny and how he takes his family out of the worst condition in the tenements. johnny and his 3 siblings and his hardworking tired mother live in the worst conditions in the tenements. johnny had to drop out of school and work in the sweatshop to support his fatherless family. One day after ...more
Francisco A
Apr 28, 2008 Francisco A rated it really liked it
A story of survival and life, the boxer is truly an amazing journey. I've been reading this book for a while and it's just full of action and is intense. John Aloysius Xavier Wodds, this young kid who is the man of the house with no father figure has to take care of his mother and little brother and sisters. So he gets a chance to make it out of the tenements in New York, and the way he does it by boxing. Things get out of hand, but with the help of Professor Mike O'Shaunnessey that he met in ...more
Tyler
Jun 02, 2008 Tyler rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed reading this book this year.i read it about 3 or 4 months ago, so i dont really remember much. i do know that i read it and liked it. in the the book it shows that anything can happen because, in the book they are a low income family and they have 3 or 4 kids and the mom works at home working on a sewing machine and the main character starts out fighting at saloons, and he gets sent to jail and he meets a trainer in there and he trains while he is in there and when he gets out ...more
Cameron-707
i think that in this book johnny tried really hard to support his family and in the end he got a good house and was very successful. he did whatever he had to do to keep food on the table for 5 kids an his mother, and he went to school so when he got older he could do something besides boxing. from this book i learned that what ever you have to do to get something, you should try and if you work hard enough you will get it.
Mike
Nov 09, 2007 Mike rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like action
this book has alot of action in it.
this book is about a guy and he gets put in jail for fighting.
when he's in jail he learns how to box form this other guy teaching him how to.
he was in jail for about a year or two.
Myles_123 Holland
Feb 24, 2011 Myles_123 Holland rated it liked it
So, i was at the libary and i noticed this book. I picked it up thinking it will be intresting and so far its very cool! From what it looks like i can tell it's about some guy trying to be a boxer. Something like Rocky i guess. Either way it looks like a very intresting book to read!
Niu
Jan 12, 2013 Niu rated it it was amazing
I first read this book 3 years ago, when I was 13 and browsing the library. I picked it up and reread today. To this date, it remains one of the best books I have ever read.
Erin Sterling
Excellent graphic novel about the boxer Harry Haft who survived the Holocaust by becoming a boxer. Powerful story, incredible art, and an engaging read.
Sandra Porter
May 06, 2014 Sandra Porter rated it really liked it
Graphic novel that is graphic. Does not hide any of the cruelty of the concentration camps. The horrors that one man endures and finally reveals to his son.
Tasha
Feb 20, 2010 Tasha added it
i have read this book i really wasnt listing when reading it now i have a project to do over every chapter and i dont know what to do .. i have learend to listing when someone is reading..
Colton
Colton rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Wendi Gomez
Wendi Gomez rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2013
Bob
Bob rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2014
Terra
Terra rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2013
Kenny
Kenny rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Muñeca Gonzalez
Muñeca Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2013
♪kristina♫
♪kristina♫ rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Jennie Engstrom
Jennie Engstrom rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Holly Oldham
Holly Oldham rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
josh
josh rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2009
Nicholas Kocon
Nov 05, 2010 Nicholas Kocon rated it it was amazing
This is actually the first non-fiction book that i've read. And it was heart-thrilling.
Magda
Magda rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Carolina
Carolina rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Sung
Sung rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Chris Day
Chris Day rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Betty Jo
Betty Jo rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Kathleen Karr was born in Allentown, Pennsylvania, and grew up on a chicken farm in Dorothy, New Jersey. After escaping to college, she worked in the film industry, and also taught in high school and college. She seriously began writing fiction on a dare from her husband. After honing her skills in women’s fiction, her children asked her to write a book for them, (It Ain’t Always Easy, Farrar, ...more
More about Kathleen Karr...