Start by marking “Trauma” as Want to Read:
Trauma

Trauma

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  303 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Something is happening to Bonnie Winter.

She's a working wife and mother, and her job is cleaning up crime scenes. Considering what she sees everyday, it must take a lot to disturb a woman like Bonnie Winter.

You can't imagine.

In this brilliantly unnerving novella, Graham Masterton speaks the unspeakable with terrifying precision and elegance, and finds menace in the m
Published January 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Trauma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trauma

The Pariah by Graham MastertonThe House That Jack Built by Graham MastertonMirror by Graham MastertonA Terrible Beauty by Graham MastertonWalkers by Graham Masterton
Graham Masterton's Best
21st out of 75 books — 27 voters
What's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveTrauma by Ken McClureRemembering Trauma by Richard J. McNallyThe effects of childhood trauma on adult perception and world... by Asa Don Brown8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery by Babette Rothschild
TRAUMA EXPERTS IN BOOKS
19th out of 24 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandie
Apr 21, 2014 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sandie by: Stephanie Doherty
I loved this book as much the second time around as I did the first. I think this is considered a horror story, but its not like a hack em horror book. I don't think you ever suspect the true intent of this book until the very end and then you sit back and are like whoa, never saw that coming.

The book is about Bonnie Winter and her business of cleaning up after death. Of course you meet her family and all their problems. There is also Dan Munoz on the police force and Ralph, the cheating husban
Janie Johnson
Nov 17, 2014 Janie Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-challenge
This book was nothing like I thought it would be and that was a little disappointing. I was expecting a good, chilling, paranormal horror story as he usually writes, but it was more a mystery with a small paranormal element. The book was still pretty good and still engaging. I also found that it was very fluid and easy to read.

In this story we have Bonnie Winter who cleans up the crime scenes once they have been searched and evidence has been collected. She has all the best cleaning agents to ma
Daniel
Feb 28, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
Bonnie cleans up crime scenes. Bonnie cleans up some really nasty crime scenes. Bonnie Winters is the heroine of this novella by Graham Masteron, and Bonnie Winters is not doing so well.

This isn't what I would call a horror book, or even a thriller. It is more of a psychological drama. Masterton has expertly, in the space of 200 pages (if you buy paperback), woven a tight, brilliantly paced story about Bonnie, her life's work, and her life's ruin. Although what details Masterton chooses to inclu
Belinda
Jan 16, 2009 Belinda rated it it was amazing
I am a gigantic Masterton fan of only about a year--I have only read one or two of his novels that I did not absolutely love so I am a bit biased. I have managed to run through 17 of his books in the last year or so. I thought this was a great read. Disturbing and melancholy and peppered with the mythological background that makes me love his novels and short stories so much. He researches his ideas so well, that you find yourself thinking about the mythological context much later after the book ...more
Becky Ippolito
Aug 13, 2011 Becky Ippolito rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This was a unique story about a hard-working married woman who starts her own business cleaning up crime scenes. Her husband and son are not so great shakes and she had a bunch of other men she works with lusting after her, but she goes on with her day to day taking care of her home and working two jobs(sounds like my life- very tedious!). The story was short and sweet (or maybe not so sweet- this being a horror story after all). The characters were ok, some character development and all, just t ...more
Eric
Sep 08, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
This is a wonderfully subtle story about the horror of everyday life, especially when that everyday life seems so disappointing. It's an everyday life that has failed to live up to youthful expectations. It's an everyday life in which big dreams are crushed by a lousy marriage and working two jobs that pay the bills but don't provide any fulfillment. Into that everyday life comes some mystery and excitement that offer a way out. Is it any surprise that the character takes advantage of that oppor ...more
Matt Daly
Aug 14, 2015 Matt Daly rated it did not like it
Really disappointing. I read The House that Jack Built previously, and was interested enough to give another one of his books a try. Each and every character is disappointing in their own way. Bonnie, our passive-aggressive protagonist is a matter-of-fact crime scene cleaner who also doubles as a cosmetic saleswoman to support her teenage son and deadbeat husband. The husband, of which, blames the Mexicans for everything and somehow the son looks up to him.

From the get-go, everything is so bl
Bob Kavanagh
Dec 03, 2014 Bob Kavanagh rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short book. The Characters were very well drawn, and the back stories were well researched. Bonnie who is a working mom who happens to also clean the detritus of crime scenes for a living also sells glamorous products for a company run by a man who fancies her. She has a husband and son who do not appreciate her, or her efforts to improve their lives.
However as she cleans crime scenes she begins to notice a pattern that she brings to the attention of her Police force , in relatio
Kim Smiley
Jun 21, 2016 Kim Smiley rated it liked it
What a strange book. It's the first I've read from this author so I didn't know quite what to expect.

Bonnie is a woman that is the head of the household. Her husband lost his job so now not only does she sell cosmetics part-time, she has her own cleaning company. She cleans up murder scenes or people that have died at home and the family needs someone to come in and do a cleanup. She's seen it all.

Up until now. The last 3 crime scenes she have cleaned were brutal murder/suicides. The funny thing
George
Mar 18, 2015 George rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Αυτό είναι μόλις το δεύτερο βιβλίο του Μάστερτον που διαβάζω, πρώτο ήταν το Αθώο αίμα, που μου είχε φανεί λίγο καλύτερο. Πως έχει η ιστορία: Η Μπόνι Γουίντερ, 34 ετών, είναι μια σκληρά εργαζόμενη γυναίκα, που δουλεύει παράλληλα σε δυο δουλειές. Από την μια καθαρίζει και απολυμαίνει σπίτια στα οποία έχουν διαπραχθεί φόνοι και αυτοκτονίες, οπότε έχει δει μπόλικο αίμα και σκληρές σκηνές. Από την άλλη, δουλεύει σε μια εταιρεία καλλυντικών, στον τομέα της προώθησης αυτών. Ο άντρας της δεν δουλεύει κα ...more
Rachel
Oct 04, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Tiara
Sep 15, 2011 Tiara rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Bonnie Winters runs a crime scene clean-up service, meaning she goes in and clean up places where violent scenes have taken place. She also works as a cosmetics lady when she's not cleaning crime scenes, just to remind herself that she's something other than a mother/wife/cleaning lady. Bonnie works as the sole supporter of her family since her husband lost his job, which he blames on the Mexicans as a whole, and her son is just a teenager going through a difficult time.

I really liked how he did
T
Dec 07, 2014 T rated it really liked it
Awesome spin on the perspective that a mystery/horror is written from. This was my frost time read a story that discussed the circumstances of trauma scene cleaners (as the book calls them). There novels from the perspective of the detective or amateurs sleuth, from the victim's perspective, but rarely from this side of the tragedy.
It was the first Masterton book that I read, but I'll definitely be reading more.
Douglas Castagna
May 15, 2014 Douglas Castagna rated it it was amazing
Crisp, fast and well constructed, Masterton once again delivers a story of with the perfect blend of real life and the supernatural. Bonnie Winter, crime scene clean up queen has discovered some interesting patterns in the crimes she is cleaning up lately. Will she fall prey to it all, or will she discover the truth? This is a shorter novel but is long on thrills and as always, great writing.
Alejandro
Jan 09, 2011 Alejandro rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This was my first Graham Masterton novel, and it won't be my last.

It deals with the somewhat troubled life of Bonnie Winter, a lower middle class wife and mother who works two jobs: cosmetics saleswoman and crime scene cleaner. It is in the latter job that she stumbles across sinister evidence of the presence of an ancient evil. The supernatural element of the novel is unique and dealt with sparingly, but not in a playful or trifling matter; the monster is well-balanced against Bonnie's day-to-
Daniel
May 08, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it
This is a good, quick read. So far Masterton has been a dependable writer. He concocts neat plots and peoples them with characters that are worth following. He describes action well and doesn't applies just the right amount of gore and violence for effect. This is the kind of horror I was hoping for when I joined the Leisure Horror Book Club for a year; unfortunately, it was the kind of horror I rarely received in the mail.

It's worth noting that this is a novella, and not a full-length novel. It
Annalee
Dec 15, 2012 Annalee rated it liked it
I didn't think I'd be enjoying this book as much as I did. It's a good story that is read smoothly and doesn't tire much. The writer has done a lot of research on cleaning crime scenes and I enjoyed reading about it, because it was written in a casual way, like cleaning up the remains of a brain from a wall was a normal everyday activity, and it was (kind of), for Bonnie Winters, the heroine. I think, if I could, I'd give it 3.5 stars. It was a good read, not very good or great, but I don't feel ...more
Sara
Jun 12, 2014 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I love Graham Masterton I think he's a fantastic author, but I felt that this book was rushed compared to his other books and I was ready to punch the main character she was very irritating :(
CJ
Apr 04, 2014 CJ rated it liked it
This started out quite strong but fizzled out halfway through. It's still a decent book, but I feel that I've read much better work by the same author.
Roger
Jul 25, 2016 Roger rated it liked it
Interesting plot, and surprising ending. You have lots of sympathy for Bonnie Winter until you realize what she's done....
Pierre Fortier
Une nettoyeuse de scène crime, mal mariée, découvre sur des sites des larves de papillon mexicain démonisées pas les ancêtes aztèques. Vide et banal.
Bill
Apr 04, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This is my first Graham Masterton novel, well, novella I guess, and it was pretty good.
It's a very fast read, and what I liked about it was the subtle suspense of it. You just know something bad is going to happen. Heck, it says so on the cover. But the way he pulls you along in anticipation of it is masterful (yes, I meant to do that pun).
I don't know a lot about his work, but from what I've seen, I don't think this one is regarded has his strongest work. That's good, because I enjoyed this, an
Stephen Lillis
Oct 02, 2014 Stephen Lillis rated it it was amazing
Itzpapalotl for the win
Elizabeth Kennedy
Jun 19, 2015 Elizabeth Kennedy rated it it was ok
meh.
Rebekkila
This book was creepy at the end. I liked the main character and her demeanor. The book was no masterpiece but it was a fast read with a good ending.

I get the feeling this book was written many years before it was published and wasn't revised properly. There were many references that didn't fit with the age this character was in 2002.
Kristy McRae
May 17, 2011 Kristy McRae rated it it was amazing
What a chillingly fabulous little gem of a book this was! Graham Masterton is brilliant. I loved the forensic details. The mystical aspects of the story were great too. This was one of those books you rush through--I found myself carrying it around the house, reading bits whenever I could, just to see what would happen next.
Richard
Mar 29, 2012 Richard rated it liked it
This book was an easy enough book to read. It just felt slow and not really my cup of tea. Just didn't hit me and I know other people love Masterton, I even have read other of his books and enjoyed, but for some reason I didn't care for this one.
Nancy
Jun 22, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, reviewed
This is an interesting book about a lady who works cleaning up crime scenes and a situation gone horribly awry. It did take a really long time for the actual story to develop for me, though. The twist at the end was very good.
Jamie
Sep 06, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it
Bonnie cleans up crime scenes and takes care of an ungrateful husband. Her teenage son seems to emulate his father. Her life seems fairly bleak. Then strange stuff begins to happen...

Good, spooky (albeit short) story.
Mark
Oct 26, 2009 Mark rated it it was ok
Not bad - Masterton is a great writer - but this didn't draw me in like his other work and maybe it was the character, maybe it was the setting, but it didn't hold my attention particularly.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Problems with different translations 6 17 Feb 05, 2014 03:06PM
  • Hunted Past Reason
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • Fears Unnamed
  • The Trickster
  • The Hungry Moon
  • Coffin County
  • The Pines (The Pines Trilogy, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories
  • Winterwood
  • Stranglehold
  • Usher's Passing
  • The Demonologist
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British men's magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more
More about Graham Masterton...