Start by marking “Spock's World” as Want to Read:
Spock's World

Spock's World (Star Trek: The Original Series)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,951 ratings  ·  85 reviews
It is the twenty-third century. On the planet Vulcan, a crisis of unprecedented proportion has caused the convocation of the planet's ruling council -- and summoned the U.S.S. "Enterprise(TM) " from halfway across the galaxy to bring Vulcan's most famous son home in its hour of need. As Commander Spock, his father, Sarek, and Captain James T. Kirk struggle to preserve Vulc ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Spock's World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spock's World

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
2nd out of 246 books — 169 voters
Imzadi by Peter DavidA Stitch in Time by Andrew J. RobinsonSarek by A.C. CrispinSpock's World by Diane DuaneMosaic by Jeri Taylor
Star Trek Books That Don't Actually Suck
4th out of 151 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Argona
Let me start by saying Vulcans are my most favorite species in StarTrek universe and Spock is my most favorite character. That said, I really really enjoyed reading this book. It was an amazing read!

Spock's World revolves around a movement on the planet Vulcan to secede from the United Federation of Planets. A plot that nearly gave me a heart attack. All the while reading this book, I had to remind myself that there's no way for that to happen! A scary notion indeed.

The book alternates chapters
King Haddock
Absolutely nothing wrong in being a Trekkie. Absolutely nothing wrong with a Trekkie novel. However, whenever I pick up a book that is basically fanfiction off of some other media, I watch myself warily. Reputation of such novels tends to be that they are crap or poorly written. This book was not so poorly as written as that. Furthermore, it entertained. Trekkies, this book is safe from painful divergence - I caught only a few minor tweaks from the canon, and overall even the minor details held ...more
Wendy
I actually read this from 9 July to 13 July, but didn't have internet access at those times. Anyway, on with the review.

I didn't remember reading this when I was young, but certain passages were familiar as I read them, so I must have read this at least once before.... Anyway, the re-read was interesting. Some of the author's similes and metaphors don't really work...at all. It makes her attempts at lyrical, descriptive writing seem laughable instead. Also there were some minor errors at logic a
Elizabeth
Jo
Well written history of Vulcan. The chapters alternate between the present day "Enterprise" story of Spock, Kirk & McCoy being called to testify at hearings to decide on Vulcan's succession from the Federation and the pre-history/history of Vulcan.

The Enterprise chapters were delightful, and true to the characters - especially McCoy who surprisingly takes the main stage by being the most fleshed out and in relation to plot, the most important of the trio. Duane must really like the characte
Kandice
Another great example of the books giving you so much more to feel for the character.
Brian
I am not a Trekker, having seen a bare handful of episodes across all the extant series and only a few movies, most lately Nemesis around the time it came out. I still call myself a Star Trek fan, though, since I've have read dozens of Star Trek novels and spent hours at work browsing Memory Alpha/Beta looking up various articles. And of all the reading I've done, the book that sticks out most for me is this one.

Spock's World is about a Vulcan vote on succession from the Federation and the argum
Aron
I started reading ST novels when the Destiny trilogy came out, so i'm kinda new to the books even though I'm 35 & have loved everything ST ever since TNG started airing in the late 80's . I have enjoyed the recently published ST novels so much it made me want to go back & check out some of the older more popular/higher rated novels of times past & this book was on my list,....& I'm glad it was! This book gives the reader a ton of insight into Vulcan culture & history. Dianne ...more
Mary JL
Aug 26, 2010 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Star Trek fans but especially if you like Vulcans
This book begins with Spock and the Enterprise being called to Vulcan. A political situation has arisen on Vulcan, and the subject to be handled in a formal, public debate--a Vulcan custom--is whether Vulcan should cut off all contact with all other worlds.

The sections in Spock's modern time alternate with various historical events in Vulcan's history. Although well written, I sometimes read some of the historical chapters and thought "Vulcans would not do that". Of course, this is just one auth
X5-494
Nov 16, 2013 X5-494 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kathi
Just like Uhura’s Song this book is as perfect as it gets, regarding writing a wonderful story and keeping everyone completely in character.

At least, how I think the characters should be.

I don’t know if the “Holy Trinity” is perceived like they’re written in Spock’s World by everybody or just by me, but THIS is how I’ve always imagined Kirk, Spock & McCoy to be: bright, well-considered, logical, sneaky, brave and capable of surprising not only Sarek and T’Pau but also the entire population
Eric Mccann
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a "trekkie." I couldn't tell you the difference between a tribble and kibble, and really don't care which captain is "best" or anything like that. I usually am not fond of TV or movie tie-in novels - especially ones that make up a library of such size as those tied to the various Star Treks.

That said, this one hit me on all the right levels. I do enjoy getting into backstory, and you get to see the development of Spock's planet, culture and people intersper
Diane Duane is really good at alien races. She gets it that with the written word the sky's the limit for creating weird body shapes and bizarre worldviews. She gets it that even the ones who do look kind of like us would still be incredibly different from us. And she gets it that even though there are all of these beings with crazy bodies and crazier ideas, they're all people. She just plain gets it, and runs with it, better than any other Star Trek author I've ever read.

Spock's World explores
Shama
This book brilliantly intertwines vulcan history with Spock's experiences, I've read it any times over.
R.J. Evanovich
A great book about the first season characters. read many years ago andf
recently reread.
Mark Schomburg
Pretty good. Early Vulcan sounds like a mix of Jean Auel and Frank Herbert worlds, with an R.A. Salvatore type of warring family society. We get to learn a little about the genetic background of the Vulcans' mental arts too, but now I can't help thinking of Herbert's Mentats as well. I guess there's a lot of SF crosstalk which occurs between separate franchises, but it's just too bad that the separate universes remain legally disconnected through copyright protection. I'd like to know how the Sa ...more
Lemons
The Vulcan chapters could seem a little slow on occasion, as they're not directly related to the plot of the Enterprise chapters, but they're still wonderful snapshots fleshing out the planet's history. As always, Diane Duane's landscapes and visuals, here of Vulcan and T'Khut in particular, are lovingly depicted.

Also: who could not love a dialogue that includes "the silent sound of an eyebrow going up somewhere in Los Angeles"?

For any others who found their way to this book by way of Young Wiza
Stephen
I have a soft spot in my heart for 'Star Trek', but frankly, only for the original series and characters - and their films. So while I enjoy very much the adaptations of the series scripts done at the time by James Blish, I tend to avoid most other Trek fiction. I stumbled across this book quite by accident, and it reeled me in fairly easily. The continuity it follows has been erased by later Trek incarnations, but the fully realized and fleshed-out planet of Vulcan and its history are engrossin ...more
Ayesha
Mar 27, 2014 Ayesha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any ST: The Original Series fan
Spock's World features a plot that terrified the Trekkie in me: Will Vulcan cede from the Federation?

I'm not going to get too much into the plot (it would be too easy to create spoilers), but I will say that this novel plays with canon a little more than I'd like (AI computers? Really?). The dialogue between Kirk, Spock and Bones is cute (there are lots of "oh you silly humans/Vulcans" moments), but not particularly important.

Ultimately, I think the best part of this novel is not the issue of V
Kai Knetsch
I was expecting more from this book considering it's high rating. I found it kind of boring in parts and anticlimactic. Also Kirk is completely useless in this book and often comes across as confused or dumb. "Jim didn't know what to say" "Jim looked at Bones, slightly confused. 'Huh?'" "'Let's go home' Jim said" "And Kirk went to bed".
Robert Day
Star Trek is a whole big part of my childhood, so it surprises the heck out of me that it's taken me so long to get around to reading the books and it's no surprise to find that I love 'em!

This is the 2nd book I picked out of my collection of 100+ at random and once again, it's a gem. The characters are just as I remember them from the TV series and the stories are just as compelling.

Although this book did not find me as emotionally involved as the other one (book: Dreadnought) I still found mys
Keith Bell
Great story. Love the history, development of Vulcan interspersed between the chapters of the ongoing main story. Great way to provide a back story to the main premise. More intrigued with the Vulcan story than ever before. What was surprising was the spiritual insight gained.
ABC
The main storyline with the crew of the Enterprise was very well done, with a good amount of humor, something I always like. The Vulcan past, on the other hand, while I liked it, kind of got in the way of the main plot, and was depressing.
3.5 stars rounded to 4 stars
Jonathan Atwood
Jun 25, 2013 Jonathan Atwood rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Star Trek and Young Wizards fans, fans of thoughtful sci-fi.
Absolutely amazing--possibly the best Star Trek book I've ever read, competing only with Duane's "Rihannsu" series. Duane uses the premise--that a separatist faction has arisen on Vulcan that is forcing a worldwide referendum on whether or not Vulcan should leave the Federation--to explore what makes the Vulcans tick, their history, their philosophy.

Best of all, she shows us how Surak became Surak, his transformations and his teachings. (Some of which will sound very familiar to fans of Duane's
Gwyn
If nothing else, Spock's World proves what an amazingly talented writer Diane Duane. In another author's hands, the extensive historical flashbacks and long periods of conversation and debate would have become dull and boring, but DD kept the pages turning. Although there is hardly any action and little suspense--those things we usually expect to keep things interesting--and what little there is taking place in flashbacks that don't include any of the characters we're familiar with--this was an ...more
Bobby
"When the moon is no longer, and the star is no more" This is the greatest goodbye line ever to be said by Sarek in this book during the Eldest Mother's funeral. Long live, Leonard Nimoy.
Crystal Redington
A book about my favorite star trek character spock in spocks world shows the true heart of spock. For Spock's two worlds he cares about are called into question, he shows the true loyalty of rising to the occassion. You go spock!
Jerod Batte
Feb 08, 2013 Jerod Batte rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trekkies and science fiction fans
Recommended to Jerod by: GoldDragon
A marvellous, spellbinding tour-de-force through the whole of the planet Vulcan's history, from the world's formation after the "Big Bang" to the era of Kirk and Spock, encapsulated within a sci fi political thriller involving the potential secession of the planet Vulcan from the United Federation of Planets, with the testimonies of Captain Kirk, Dr. McCoy, Spock's father Sarek, and - of course - Vulcan's most famous son, Spock, as the deciding factors in whether or not the populace of Vulcan wi ...more
Timothy Boyd
Fantastic Star Trek book. Everything you could ever want to know about the Vulcans and their history. Very recommended
Jo Ann
I just couldn't find the will to finish, and it's not because I don't love Star Trek. I thought the chapters involving the back history of Vulcan would be so much better, I'm sorry to say I thought they were rather dull. Also once the uncloaking of who was really behind all the mayhem was revealed, I couldn't help but come to the conclusion that the character's reasoning and motives were highly illogical.

(view spoiler)
Kathleen
I would have liked to have liked this book since it was one of the first in-depth literary looks at Vulcan culture. I find myself unable to reconcile with the idea that Vulcans can sense the presence of God. Clearly, she hadn't seen the fifth movie where Spock's brother Sybok is fooled by a fake God. Also, Vulcan culture has awesome spiritual overtones, but I don't really see the logic in submitting to a primitive father figure idol. I just don't see it happening.

(view spoiler)
  • Sarek
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Uhura's Song
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • Ishmael
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Final Frontier
  • Vulcan's Glory
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Enterprise: The First Adventure
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • The Pandora Principle
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • Black Fire
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Crisis on Centaurus
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a
More about Diane Duane...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2) A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4) High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3) Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)

“Go maire tu' I bhfad agus rath!
'Live long and prosper'.”
2 likes
“Not even Spock had stayed aboard for that—he found breathing vacuum for any length of time to be aesthetically unpleasant.” 1 likes