Blank-133x176
The Animal Factory

Edward Bunker

The Animal Factory

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  573 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Called "America's preeminent convict writer" by Prison Life magazine, Edward Bunker is recognized as one of the most gifted crime writers of the last century. Now that his novel The Animal Factory has been made into a film, the timing couldn't be better to re-publish this work. Directed by Steve Buscemi, starring Willem Dafoe, and featuring Bunker himself, the movie -- lik...more
Paperback
Published by Viking Books (first published September 27th 1977)

Tfitoby
Eddie Bunker's thinly veiled autobiographical novel of his time in prison is a revelation of terse, authentic feeling, observational prose; a prison novel that doesn't glamourise its setting or apologise for its violence, he takes the detached yet constantly on guard attitude of the long serving criminal and infuses an entire novel with it forcing the reader to constantly suspect the worst. As such it's not an easy read, you find your shoulders tensing just waiting for an unnoticed shiv to come...more
Alberto
This is the fictional account of the raw, sordid and violent misadventures of the two coolest guys serving in San Quentin in the seventies, obviously based on the real experiences of the author, who spent 25 years of his life behind bars. Bunker, besides being an ex-con was an actor (Mr. Blue in Reservoir Dogs), screenwriter, and novelist. This nice edition is published by No Exit Press, (under which label have been published five novels by Ed Bunker and his autobiography), with an afterword abo...more
Jason
i don't wanna go to no prison
Mariano Hortal
"La fábrica de animales" de Edward Bunker. Estamos ante el segundo libro que escribió el conocido Mr Blue de la archiconocida "Reservoir Dogs" de Tarantino tras el espléndido debut "No hay bestia tan ferorz". En este caso se despachó con una historia encuadrada en ese subgénero tan trillado como es la literatura carcelaria. En este caso, claro, tenemos motivos para disfrutar más de esta novela que otras del mismo tipo. En primer lugar tenemos una historia real como la vida misma, según la lees t...more
J. Niimi
This was the first book of his that I've read, and Bunker's style put me off slightly, in the beginning -- he seemed to be reaching in a pedantic way that called attention to the language, and thus got in the way of the plot. Good thing the plot steamrolls like a fucking 18-wheeler barreling down a mountain without jack brakes. The brutal imagery and complex tension between the main characters more than makes up for the occasional awkward construction here and there. Highly recommended for fans...more
carl  theaker
Note to self, I won't be taken alive, stay out of prison.

Written in '77 it was re-released in the last few years. A compelling and terrifying read.
Middle-class drug dealer gets sent to San Quentin where he befriends hard con Earl.
Essentially a story of how prison makes criminals hardened just so that they can
survive.

The story seems a bit dated and familiar, but that's probably because there have
been many books, movies etc that have followed its footsteps.

Alarra
The book is much better than the movie; you get a much better idea of why Ron and Earl strike up a friendship, and much greater awareness of why they Earl would risk it all to try a break out after so many years of comfortable existence in jail. Their dynamic is still really good – that awkward tension between Earl’s paternal and yet sexual desire for Ron, and Ron’s platonic love for Earl.
Baldurian
Bunker non scrive romanzi ambientati in carcere, nei suoi libri il protagonista È il carcere. Se lo scopo della letteratura è fornire esperienze altrimenti irraggiungibili al lettore Animal Factory è un maledettissimo capolavoro; la storia di Ron e Earl vi trscinerà per davvero dietro le sbarre.
G.N.
I very rarely give five-star reviews. This book deserves it: dark, gritty, true; it has it all.
The author's personal experience gives him the edge, but it's his style of writing that takes that edge and goes so much further. Recommend.
Godzilla
His first published novel. A bleak tale of life inside a maximum security prison. It's not the Shawshank Redemption, it's the real deal.
ABC Group
My first crack at Edward Bunker was a very rewarding one. I know some folks consider him a seminal crime writer but I had no real expectations walking into this. Bunker's a great story teller. His language is mostly simple but he certainly fancies himself a wordsmith at times.

Ron Decker is a white collar drug dealer who winds up being convicted and sent to San Quentin, where he meets a variety of characters, but the story revolves around his relationship with Earl Copen, a seasoned and hardened...more
Chilly SavageMelon
This is a prison story, and sort of a love story, without too many of the details a straight male reader might hope to skip in a prison love story. A young, ‘pretty’ drug dealer is busted and is befriended by a wise old con who does his best to look out for him during their mutual stint in San Quentin. There is great insight into the paranoia, tension, and inside dealings that go on in the various levels of prison life - from the sweetest livin’ cell blocks to the hole.
And of course, after 18 ye...more
monica
26.03.2010

Questo libro mi sta uccidendo..

02.04.2010

Dopo aver saputo che l'autore ha vissuto davvero tra le mura di celle e in mezzo a centinaia di menti pericolose come quelle che si formano e prendono vita tra quelle pareti, mi sono interessata di più alla storia, che non è altro che uno squarcio di vita all'interno di un carcere americano.

A pensare che tutta quella cattiveria esiste davvero ed è compressa in cosi poco spazio, c'è da avere paura. Questa mi fa sorgere una domanda: ma è davvero...more
Tim Jin
If Erin Brockovich wasn't became so mainstream in Hollywood, I can see the studio writing a screenplay for "Animal Factory" and Julia Roberts being the lead activist taking charge. The material that is presented is good, but after a while, it became too much, where I lost interest in listening another tragic stories about water pollution, cancer, animal waste, chicken farms, pig farms, and especially the court system and politics. The book looses its focal point when it goes on and on with the W...more
Ginny_1807
Un piccolo grande romanzo, che con il suo stile asciutto e privo di abbellimenti, riesce a calare il lettore nell'incubo della vita carceraria più dura e crudele.
Si apre così ai nostri occhi la visione su una sorta di mondo parallelo, con le sue gerarchie, le sue scale di valori e le sue rigidissime leggi da rispettare ad ogni costo, totalmente "altro" e avulso dalla vita che scorre ignara e indifferente all'esterno.
Ma anche in un clima tanto feroce e bestiale, possono nascere sentimenti posit...more
Camilla

Ok, so.. Wow.. Very, very disappointed by this book.. But maybe thats my own fault, dont know..

I thought, both after reading the blurb, and some of the reviews, that this would be some kind of prison love story between a hardcore inmate and a young newcomer..

Yeah.. Definitely not..

This is just a "normal" prison story about a guy in prison.

Seriously.. thats all it is.. Lots of curse words and lots of fighting.. No angst, no real drama, no relationships, nope, nadá, nothing, only a guy in a priso...more
Marc
I liked this book, but it's really not my cup of tea. The book club I'm a part of decided to read this, so it got me out of my comfort zone.

I thought that the author did a great job in laying out the story, developing the characters that needed to be developed, and driving the plot. The content was engaging to read. The book didn't drag in any place. Just really solid writing.

All in all, I'm glad I read this, but I don't think that I would seek out another.
Rebecca Calder
Loved this book. It swallows you up into one of the hardest US prisons and oh wow, what a world it is. Homosexual humour is a must to stay sane, murders inside are hardly ever convicted and if you're a pretty boy look out!!! I'm definitely going to read more prison literature after this. Edward Bunker is an ex con too so it makes for some educating fiction.
pierlapo  quimby
Se in Come una bestia feroce Bunker ci descrive il reinserimento di un ex-detenuto nella società civile, in Animal Factory l'esame si concentra, specularmente, sull'inserimento di un civile nella società criminale di un carcere.
In entrambi i casi l'esperienza diretta dell'autore rende la narrazione potente e incisiva.
Alshia Delores Moyez
I only saw the movie, I didn't know the book was out! I am so estatic. I LOVED Animal Factory. Loved Edward Furlong in this, Wilhelm Dafoe. I def want to read this, then I'll come back and add my rating. I am so happy for Ed bunker! I also enjoyed his performance in the movie.
Frank
Very good book about prison life written by someone who was there. Bunker does a good job describing prison society and relationships without sensationalizing/glorifying it. The creators of the HBO series "OZ" could have taken a lesson from him.
allegra
Sep 24, 2007 allegra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: idonthaveacopy
i really need to pick up a copy of this book and read it, considering how much the film adaptation opened my eyes to the presence of prison society and culture in america, and the number of times i've recommended the movie on that basis.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I was so excited to read this book, but found the writing completely hard to decipher. It was almost like the author wrote with a dictionary on his lap and just inserted big words randomly.
R. Felini
Books good. The movie is good. Bunker writes what he knows best. The BS is minimal cause it's t-r-u-e. Course from where he is now I doubt he is writing.
Jeffrey Cavanaugh
A book about hard men doing hard time in a hard place and which examines the question of whether it is better to serve in heaven or rule in hell.
Nate Hendrix
A good read. Once again it is obvious that the author has done time. He is able to describe prison life vividly.
Peggy
bought is for a friend who wanted it, so I read just coz.. not really my type of book, but intertaining in a silly way
Siany
Seem to have forgotten to add all the books with 'Factory' in the title. Mmm?
Diego Munoz
Okay book. Didn't pull me in, like I hoped it would.
D
Great Prison Novel... the movie was kind of lame...
  • Bad Chili (Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, #4)
  • Miami Blues
  • California Fire and Life
  • Bust (Max & Angela, #1 - Hard Case Crime, #20)
  • Savage Night
  • Harold's End
  • The Green Eagle Score (Parker, #10)
  • The Devil's Home on Leave
  • Awaydays
  • Racconti
  • The Goodbye Kiss
  • The Ones You Do
  • Grifter's Game (Hard Case Crime #1)
  • The Cold Six Thousand (Underworld USA, #2)
  • Green River Rising
  • Romanzo criminale
Edward Heward Bunker was an American author of crime fiction, a screenwriter, and an actor.
He wrote numerous books, some of which have been adapted into films.
Bunker was a bright but troublesome child, who spent much of his childhood in different foster homes and institutions.
He started on a criminal career at a very early age, and continued on this path throughout the years, returning to prison...more
More about Edward Bunker...
No Beast So Fierce Education of a Felon Dog Eat Dog Little Boy Blue Stark

“I need a kid like I need a bad heart. A pretty kid is a ticket to trouble... and I'm too old to ask for that. Shit, I haven't even booked Tommy the Face in two years. I'm turning into a jack-off idiot.” 4 likes