Start by marking “Intellivore (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #45)” as Want to Read:
Intellivore (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #45)

Intellivore (Star Trek: The Next Generation #45)

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  466 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The Great Rift lies between the Sagitarius and Orion arms of the galaxy. Stars are scarce there, beyond the authority of the Federation, and legends abound of lost civilizations and of ancient monsters that prey on those who dare to venture into the vast darkness between the stars. When several ships and colonies mysteriously disappear into the Rift, the U.S.S. Enterprise ...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Intellivore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intellivore

Imzadi by Peter DavidUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinHow Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford
Best Star Trek Books
216th out of 245 books — 185 voters
Imzadi by Peter DavidA Stitch in Time by Andrew J. RobinsonSpock's World by Diane DuaneSarek by A.C. CrispinMosaic by Jeri Taylor
Star Trek Books That Don't Actually Suck
130th out of 155 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Randy Mcdonald
Feb 09, 2013 Randy Mcdonald rated it really liked it
When I stopped off at the huge BMV used bookstore on Bloor Street in downtown Toronto after work one night in February of 2011, I was surprised and pleased to find a near-mint copy of Diane Duane's 1997 TNG novel Intellivore for just $C2.99. I like Duane, I like her Trek novels, I like that one my copy is packed in my parents' basement on Prince Edward Island), I'd an evening free, so the logic for picking the book up seemed unimpeachable. My conclusion? Intellivore stands up well, a mystery/h ...more
Dan
Dec 14, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, tng
Diane Duane novels are always a treat to read, and in that respect, Intellivore did not disappoint. In some ways, it is a "smaller" story than her other novels, such as the Rihannsu series or Spock's World. However, the stakes are high, and Intellivore comes replete with the numerous character moments that I love. There is real emotion in this novel, and while it is most probably Diane Duane's least-known Trek work, it holds to the high standard of writing I've come to love from her.

Full review:
rivka
Aug 13, 2011 rivka rated it liked it
In The Romulan Way, the Iruh, a species of intellivores -- with the habit of moving their planet around -- is mentioned almost in passing.

Far too intriguing an idea not to turn into a story of its own! And this novel is that story. Interesting and entertaining, a good but not spectacular ST novel.
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 24, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it liked it
Diane Duane can write prose with emotional depth and beautiful language, and her thorough familiarity with the characters of the Star Trek universe makes her one of the most reliable authors in that franchise. "Intellivore" is so far the weakest book by her I've read. The reason for this is easy to point out as the plot of the novel is completely substandard. Starfleet chases a malevolent life form that causes severe brain damage to people who encounter it. That's the premise and that's the whol ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 24, 2013 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Things to like about this novel: (1) Ms. Duane's ability to take a scientific puzzle and transform it into a life-or-death situation; (2) the ability to take the exploration theme at the heart of ship-based "Star Trek" as inspiration, instead of simply a framework for some other type of story; (3) it takes a near-mythological snippet of Romulan history from her novel "The Romulan Way" and expands it into a unique form of sequel.

Things that keep this novel at a three star rating: (1) Like "Dark M
Jonathan
Jan 25, 2015 Jonathan rated it liked it
Everyone enjoys a bit of Star Trek. This book was about a sentient planet that feeds on people's minds. The Enterprise and some other ships don't approve of that sort of thing, so they do something about it.
Abigailann (Abigail)

I'm always worried about admitting that I like Star Trek books, because some can be stilted with rather predictable plots. This is not one of those! What I love about this casual read is that when the characters speak it feels so natural that Im actually able to imagine the voices that watchers of the show are so used to. None of the actions seem out of character and its easy to enjoy their adventures. Whilst its true that this is not a great literary work, it is an enjoyable piece of fiction wi
Jeremiah
Nov 26, 2012 Jeremiah rated it really liked it
I don't read much fiction anymore because of my studies. But I've found that I have to escape into another world every now and again to keep my sanity. Since holodecks have not yet been invented I have to dive into works of fiction.

That being said, I'm a reemerging Star Trek fan and I found this novel to be very classic Trek. Aside from very minute details I found the characters and stories to be very relatable, though the presence of some main bridge crew (Counselor Troi) seemed lacking.

Overa
Gwyn
Aug 10, 2013 Gwyn rated it liked it
I was hesitant to give this three stars both because it is written by Diane Duane, whom I adore, and because it's not actually bad. But neither is it good, precisely--it falls square in the realm of mediocrity. Now, mediocrity is still better than average for licensed novels, so if you're a Star Trek fan looking for a TNG book to read this is a good choice. But if you're just looking for a book in general, you can pass this one by.
Emily
Feb 08, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
What in the actual hell? A ST:TNG book with some substance to it?!?! Sorry, the sound you hear is my brain short circuiting. Please contact your service provider for the estimated time until its reboot.
Angela
Something is responisble for killing lots of people, and 3 starships are sent to find out how to stop it. A decent story that does seem a bit slow, its all about the build up to the confrontation and character bits that unusually for me, didn't appeal. An ok read.
N.M. Gillson
Nov 21, 2011 N.M. Gillson rated it liked it
Interesting story - very well thought out - a being that takes all electrical energy of humanoid beings, although far-fetched, I think Diane has made it work very well.
Bailey AfterMath
Apr 18, 2015 Bailey AfterMath rated it liked it
It was pretty good. Decent concept, Interesting Action.
Don Incognito
Not one of the more interesting or entertaining Star Dreck novels. Ignore it.
Jimmy Pedersen
Apr 14, 2015 Jimmy Pedersen rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
A little too easily read, too predictable and alltogether not that exciting.
Stacey Schmidt
May 13, 2016 Stacey Schmidt rated it did not like it
Scary and a bit disturbing that it devoured people's minds.
Helen
Peter Berg
Aug 25, 2013 Peter Berg rated it it was amazing
solid writing
Rod Simmons
Rod Simmons rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Tony Entrekin
Tony Entrekin rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Electra Reads
Electra Reads rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Gabe
Gabe marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
BettyAnn
BettyAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Rhianna Neel
Rhianna Neel marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Steven Haworth
Steven Haworth rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Knowan Attall
Knowan Attall rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
  • A Fury Scorned (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #43)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #27)
  • The Last Stand (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #37)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • Blaze of Glory (Star Trek: The Next Generation #34)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • To Storm Heaven (Star Trek: The Next Generation #46)
  • The Forgotten War (Star Trek: The Next Generation #57)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)
  • Balance of Power (Star Trek: The Next Generation #33)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #32)
  • Dragon's Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #38)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a
More about Diane Duane...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)