Intellivore (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #45)

Intellivore (Star Trek: The Next Generation #45)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Great Rift lies between the Sagitarius and Orion arms of the galaxy. Stars are scarce there, beyond the authority of the Federation, and legends abound of lost civilizations and of ancient monsters that prey on those who dare to venture into the vast darkness between the stars. When several ships and colonies mysteriously disappear into the Rift, the U.S.S. Enterprise...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Intellivore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intellivore

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
189th out of 216 books — 153 voters
Imzadi by Peter DavidA Stitch in Time by Andrew J. RobinsonSarek by A.C. CrispinSpock's World by Diane DuaneMosaic by Jeri Taylor
Star Trek Books That Don't Actually Suck
97th out of 102 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Randy Mcdonald
When I stopped off at the huge BMV used bookstore on Bloor Street in downtown Toronto after work one night in February of 2011, I was surprised and pleased to find a near-mint copy of Diane Duane's 1997 TNG novel Intellivore for just $C2.99. I like Duane, I like her Trek novels, I like that one my copy is packed in my parents' basement on Prince Edward Island), I'd an evening free, so the logic for picking the book up seemed unimpeachable. My conclusion? Intellivore stands up well, a mystery/ho...more
rivka
In The Romulan Way, the Iruh, a species of intellivores -- with the habit of moving their planet around -- is mentioned almost in passing.

Far too intriguing an idea not to turn into a story of its own! And this novel is that story. Interesting and entertaining, a good but not spectacular ST novel.
Mikael Kuoppala
Diane Duane can write prose with emotional depth and beautiful language, and her thorough familiarity with the characters of the Star Trek universe makes her one of the most reliable authors in that franchise. "Intellivore" is so far the weakest book by her I've read. The reason for this is easy to point out as the plot of the novel is completely substandard. Starfleet chases a malevolent life form that causes severe brain damage to people who encounter it. That's the premise and that's the whol...more
Daniel Kukwa
Things to like about this novel: (1) Ms. Duane's ability to take a scientific puzzle and transform it into a life-or-death situation; (2) the ability to take the exploration theme at the heart of ship-based "Star Trek" as inspiration, instead of simply a framework for some other type of story; (3) it takes a near-mythological snippet of Romulan history from her novel "The Romulan Way" and expands it into a unique form of sequel.

Things that keep this novel at a three star rating: (1) Like "Dark M...more
Abigailann (Abigail)

I'm always worried about admitting that I like Star Trek books, because some can be stilted with rather predictable plots. This is not one of those! What I love about this casual read is that when the characters speak it feels so natural that Im actually able to imagine the voices that watchers of the show are so used to. None of the actions seem out of character and its easy to enjoy their adventures. Whilst its true that this is not a great literary work, it is an enjoyable piece of fiction wi...more
Jeremiah
I don't read much fiction anymore because of my studies. But I've found that I have to escape into another world every now and again to keep my sanity. Since holodecks have not yet been invented I have to dive into works of fiction.

That being said, I'm a reemerging Star Trek fan and I found this novel to be very classic Trek. Aside from very minute details I found the characters and stories to be very relatable, though the presence of some main bridge crew (Counselor Troi) seemed lacking.

Overa...more
Gwyn
I was hesitant to give this three stars both because it is written by Diane Duane, whom I adore, and because it's not actually bad. But neither is it good, precisely--it falls square in the realm of mediocrity. Now, mediocrity is still better than average for licensed novels, so if you're a Star Trek fan looking for a TNG book to read this is a good choice. But if you're just looking for a book in general, you can pass this one by.
Angela
Something is responisble for killing lots of people, and 3 starships are sent to find out how to stop it. A decent story that does seem a bit slow, its all about the build up to the confrontation and character bits that unusually for me, didn't appeal. An ok read.
N.M. Gillson
Interesting story - very well thought out - a being that takes all electrical energy of humanoid beings, although far-fetched, I think Diane has made it work very well.
Stacey
Scary and a bit disturbing that it devoured people's minds.
Helen
Petr
Petr added it
Sep 07, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Jess Bloomingdale
Jess Bloomingdale marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Henry
Henry added it
Aug 03, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
  • A Fury Scorned (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #43)
  • Rogue Saucer (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #39)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • The Last Stand (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #37)
  • To Storm Heaven (Star Trek: The Next Generation #46)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation #27)
  • The Forgotten War (Star Trek: The Next Generation #57)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • Balance of Power (Star Trek: The Next Generation #33)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)
  • Dyson Sphere (Star Trek: The Next Generation #50)
  • The Soldiers of Fear (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #41; Invasion, #2)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #12)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Infiltrator (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #42)
  • Blaze of Glory (Star Trek: The Next Generation #34)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a...more
More about Diane Duane...
So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2) A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4) High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3) Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)