X-COM: UFO Defense - A Novel (X-Com)

X-COM: UFO Defense - A Novel (X-Com)

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Commander Jonelle Barrett is determined to win. Having moved from Morocco to a new base in Switzerland, she is well-placed to build a fortified base and defend Europe from the marauding aliens who harvest humans as lab animals for breeding stock . . . and for their dinner tables!

Barrett soon finds that her new territory is already riddled with alien invaders. Her handpicke...more
Published December 22nd 1995 by Prima Lifestyles

Melodia
I have a bit of an addiction to X-Com. I used to play the original and Terror from the Deep (TFTD) as a kid when they were new. I always preferred TFTD as it was creepier under the water and has flying brain monsters that can control you. Freaky! Then, I found the game again as an adult on Steam and played it way more than I should. And what went and happened? They made a modern version - Enemy Unknown that just eats up all my time.
I suppose it's only natural that a successful video game franch...more
Andrew
I pulled this off my shelf when the X-COM remake appeared last year. The book is from 1996, when the original X-COM games were hot. I guess Microprose wanted to buy some legitimacy because they went and got a novel off Diane Duane. Diane Duane, it turns out, really wanted to write a book about Switzerland. (If you trawl her web site you'll find a lotta love of Switzerland.) So we have this rather delightful confection about alien monsters invading the Swiss Alps.

Duane does what she likes to do,...more
Jose Angel
El libro es bastante justillo y me ha decepcionado. XCOM es un juego mezcla de estrategia/ciencia ficcion/ terror. Donde lo mas importante, es el apego que el jugador desarrolla a lo largo del juego a sus hombres, ya que en cualquier momento estos pueden morir (y es permanente) a manos de los extraterrestres o de los propios miembros del escuadron. Pues de todo esto no vemos mucho en el libro.

Los personajes, 2 son los principales, son planos sin carisma o aptitudes especiales, la comandante y un...more
Adam Mclean
Book was meh! Personally I wish there was more depth to the story. I was able to understand many parts of the book since I have played the original game many times over. This is where fans like the book (like myself) but we are demanding more details about everything in this book. The game was amazing and it provided so much information that could have been a part of this book and all it did was scratch the surface.

If you have not played the game I would pass on the book. For x-com fans this ca...more
Graham
Nov 11, 2007 Graham rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: scifi junkies
Shelves: pulp
I loved this game, and the book is a pretty entertaining short read that supplements it. Mostly I was just looking for the most random book I could think of to see if it was on here - and it was.
Gerry
Probably as faithful an adaptation of X-Com as we are ever likely to see. I really enjoyed it though I'm not sure how much of a re-read it is.
K995
K995 marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Tria
Tria marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Adam Cassar
Adam Cassar marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Cadrac
Cadrac marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Beat
Beat added it
Oct 19, 2013
Koen
Koen marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Eric Reed
Eric Reed marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Anuj
Anuj marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
Buriani Emanuele
Buriani Emanuele marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Lee
Lee added it
Mar 20, 2013
A.Rowe
A.Rowe is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a...more
More about Diane Duane...
So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2) A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4) High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3) Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)