Start by marking “Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)

Look Away (U.S. Civil War #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  469 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
At the heart of the story are two brothers, sons of a prosperous New Jersey businessman whose growing wealth and power are dependent on his ability to avoid choosing sides as the issue of states' rights threatens to divide the nation.

James and Kevin Bannon, who have always shielded each other from their father's tyrannical outbursts, see their fierce loyalty abruptly shat
Published January 1st 1996 by Pocket Books (first published April 25th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Look Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look Away

The Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPhersonCold Mountain by Charles FrazierThe Civil War by Shelby Foote
Best Civil War Books
225th out of 619 books — 680 voters
Gates of Fire by Steven PressfieldThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraShōgun by James ClavellGods and Generals by Jeff ShaaraThe Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
Historical Military Adventure
59th out of 188 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo
Nov 12, 2014 Jo rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I am a civil war buff so I really enjoyed the overall plot however, at times, it moved a little too slow. Still overall I thought it was a good read. It would be a great book for someone who also enjoys civil war history.
Graceann
May 06, 2009 Graceann rated it liked it
Recommends it for: hard-core Civil War buffs only
Please see my detailed review at Amazon Graceann's "Look Away" Review"

Ultimately, I found this novel to be slow and unsatisfying, but I'm still reading the sequel because I enjoyed the supporting characters. I go into more detail regarding my problems with the story in my Amazon review. There was ducking away from thorny issues (slavery, for instance) while endlessly repeating mundane banalities of army life. I keep hoping to find another Michael Shaara, and I keep getting disappointed. Pity.
Shannon Cole
Jul 04, 2015 Shannon Cole rated it liked it
Decent book I found it enjoyable but not a superb written novel
Jill
Jun 19, 2015 Jill rated it liked it
Liked it until very end.
Bob Conner
Feb 20, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, military-war
WOW! Reading Harold Coyle's books for years and this comes along. A huge surprise and a wonderful read. I've always been intrigued by the American Civil War and this, although fiction, uses many of the historical units, officers and battles in which to place his characters.

If you enjoy the era, this is a required read.
Jon Kurtz
Feb 03, 2014 Jon Kurtz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Civil War Buffs
An interesting and realistic account of the pre and early years of the civil war as presented through the eyes of two brothers. One remains in the north, while the other attends school in the south. Separated and fighting for different sides, this novel provides two perspectives on America's most devastating war. Infused with the politics and atmosphere of the time, Coyle's account is accurate, while at the same time entertaining.
Maurice
May 31, 2011 Maurice rated it it was amazing
A different book than we know of Harold Coyle. However, his writing about the Civil War is as good as his fiction about modern warfare, and it is a delight to read! An epic story about brotherly love, conflict and man's emotions in these events, a great delight to read!
Jeannie
Apr 05, 2009 Jeannie rated it liked it
I really liked this book - I love to read history. But, after a while it seemed to be the same thing over and over. I realize it was based on historical events, that did drag on, but for entertainment I would have preferred a bit more.
Elizabeth Housewright
Feb 03, 2012 Elizabeth Housewright rated it really liked it
Good writer, depicts times and warfare well. Contrived, of course, to make story work-- but the dilemmas faced by people during those times are presented well.
Heather Baxter
May 12, 2015 Heather Baxter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy good historical fiction that helps bring history to life. This was well written and makes this chapter in American history come alive.
Laurie
Sep 27, 2013 Laurie rated it it was ok
Dragged in the middle alittle. Author set up great characters though. Thinking of reading next in series.
Glenn
Jul 09, 2013 Glenn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
Darrell Arms
Darrell Arms marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Mike Laney
Mike Laney rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Moethedog
Moethedog marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Andrew White
Andrew White marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
David Coombs
David Coombs marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Don Payton
Don Payton rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
thomas lebatard
thomas lebatard rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
RoryOMoore
RoryOMoore rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Kenneth Graham
Kenneth Graham marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Fernando E.
Fernando E. rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2016
Arianna Newton
Arianna Newton marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Martin Marais
Martin Marais marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Garrett Kreft
Garrett Kreft marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Chris Fletcher
Chris Fletcher rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
  • The Bloody Ground (The Starbuck Chronicles, #4)
  • Bold Sons of Erin (Abel Jones, #5)
  • Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)
  • A Close Run Thing (Matthew Hervey, #1)
  • Blue-Eyed Child of Fortune: The Civil War Letters of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw
  • Hell or Richmond
  • Fort Pillow
  • The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Gone for Soldiers: A Novel of the Mexican War
  • Old Home Town
  • Charleston
Harold Coyle is an American author of historical, speculative fiction and war novels including Team Yankee, a New York Times best-seller.He graduated from the Virginia Military Institute in 1974 and spent seventeen years on active duty with the U.S. Army.He lives in Leavenworth, Kansas.
More about Harold Coyle...

U.S. Civil War (2 books)
  • Until the End (U.S. Civil War, #2)