Start by marking “Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)

Look Away (U.S. Civil War #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  10 reviews
At the heart of the story are two brothers, sons of a prosperous New Jersey businessman whose growing wealth and power are dependent on his ability to avoid choosing sides as the issue of states' rights threatens to divide the nation. James and Kevin Bannon, who have always shielded each other from their father's tyrannical outbursts, see their fierce loyalty abruptly shat ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Pocket Books (first published April 25th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Look Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look Away

The Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPhersonThe Civil War by Shelby FooteCold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Best Civil War Books
187th out of 524 books — 586 voters
Gates of Fire by Steven PressfieldThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraGods and Generals by Jeff ShaaraShōgun by James ClavellThe Last Full Measure by Jeff Shaara
Historical Military Adventure
56th out of 175 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo
I liked this book. I am a civil war buff so I really enjoyed the overall plot however, at times, it moved a little too slow. Still overall I thought it was a good read. It would be a great book for someone who also enjoys civil war history.
Graceann
May 06, 2009 Graceann rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hard-core Civil War buffs only
Please see my detailed review at Amazon Graceann's "Look Away" Review"

Ultimately, I found this novel to be slow and unsatisfying, but I'm still reading the sequel because I enjoyed the supporting characters. I go into more detail regarding my problems with the story in my Amazon review. There was ducking away from thorny issues (slavery, for instance) while endlessly repeating mundane banalities of army life. I keep hoping to find another Michael Shaara, and I keep getting disappointed. Pity.
Bob Conner
WOW! Reading Harold Coyle's books for years and this comes along. A huge surprise and a wonderful read. I've always been intrigued by the American Civil War and this, although fiction, uses many of the historical units, officers and battles in which to place his characters.

If you enjoy the era, this is a required read.
Jon Kurtz
Feb 03, 2014 Jon Kurtz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Civil War Buffs
An interesting and realistic account of the pre and early years of the civil war as presented through the eyes of two brothers. One remains in the north, while the other attends school in the south. Separated and fighting for different sides, this novel provides two perspectives on America's most devastating war. Infused with the politics and atmosphere of the time, Coyle's account is accurate, while at the same time entertaining.
Heather Baxter
I really enjoy good historical fiction that helps bring history to life. This was well written and makes this chapter in American history come alive.
Maurice
A different book than we know of Harold Coyle. However, his writing about the Civil War is as good as his fiction about modern warfare, and it is a delight to read! An epic story about brotherly love, conflict and man's emotions in these events, a great delight to read!
Jeannie
I really liked this book - I love to read history. But, after a while it seemed to be the same thing over and over. I realize it was based on historical events, that did drag on, but for entertainment I would have preferred a bit more.
Elizabeth Housewright
Good writer, depicts times and warfare well. Contrived, of course, to make story work-- but the dilemmas faced by people during those times are presented well.
Laurie
Dragged in the middle alittle. Author set up great characters though. Thinking of reading next in series.
Glenn
I loved this book!
Thay
Thay marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Dick
Dick marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Justin Sonter
Justin Sonter marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Cathi
Cathi marked it as to-read
Trestone
Trestone marked it as to-read
Jerusha
Jerusha marked it as to-read
Marty Wightman
Marty Wightman marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Tony
Tony added it
Feb 09, 2015
  • Battle Flag (The Starbuck Chronicles, #3)
  • Call Each River Jordan (Abel Jones, #3)
  • Grant Comes East (Gettysburg, #2)
  • A Close Run Thing (Matthew Hervey, #1)
  • Cain at Gettysburg
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Blue-Eyed Child of Fortune: The Civil War Letters of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw
  • To the Gates of Richmond: The Peninsula Campaign
  • The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts
  • Gone for Soldiers: A Novel of the Mexican War
  • Terrible Swift Sword: The Centennial History of the Civil War Series, Volume 2
Harold Coyle is an American author of historical, speculative fiction and war novels including Team Yankee, a New York Times best-seller.He graduated from the Virginia Military Institute in 1974 and spent seventeen years on active duty with the U.S. Army.He lives in Leavenworth, Kansas.
More about Harold Coyle...

U.S. Civil War (2 books)
  • Until the End (U.S. Civil War, #2)
Team Yankee The Ten Thousand (Scott Dixon, #4) Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2) Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1) Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)