Start by marking “Live and Let Shop (Spy Goddess, #1)” as Want to Read:
Live and Let Shop (Spy Goddess, #1)

Live and Let Shop (Spy Goddess #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  724 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Not really. I'm just misunderstood.

Of course, that's not how the judge saw it.

That's how I wound up at freaky Blackthorn Academy. Talk about boring. There isn't even a mall nearby. I mean, what did they expect a girl from Beverly Hills to do?

Also, from the start I could tell there was something really weird about Blackthorn:

The headmaster, Mr. Kim, knew way too much about
Published March 1st 2005 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Live and Let Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live and Let Shop

Lady Entropy
(Given as ARC by NetGalley)

Making a good teen spy book is more than just creating a super academy, finding a sassy main character with a chip on her shoulder, a group of friends and a catchy title that makes a bad pun with spy-related movies or books.

Gallagher girls had a series of well-defined support character, an interesting main character, before it worried about getting the spy-pun title.

Unfortunately, Spy Goddess failed to impress in its first outing: the secondary characters were mostly t
Hangg
The book I’m reviewing is Spy Goddess by Michael P. Spradlin. It’s a fiction book. The main theme in Spy Goddess is the curiosity and courage to make people be stronger and better, especially with friendship. It almost talks about the friendship and some unbelievable things that make people scare and confuse about life. Spy Goddess took a place in Blackthorn Academy in Pennsylvania.
Spy Goddess talks about a main character; Rachel Buchanan is moved from California to Blackthorn Academy in Penns
Amy
Apr 22, 2008 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens
Recommended to Amy by: no one.
I read this book in like an hour and half. Of course this book is targeted toward a teen audience, but I still really enjoyed it. I felt sorry for the main character, Rachel, who got sent to Blackthorn Academy (a boarding school), across the country, because she got busted for something she participated in. She was good friend and did not snitch on her fellow car borrowers, but they were terrible friends to her. Her parents ignored her until she got in trouble, but all they did was send her away ...more
Christian
Rachel Buchanan lives in Beverly Hills and enjoys a privileged life but one without the attention of her parents. She's been getting into some trouble with the law lately, and this last incident has her facing a judge. Rachel is given a choice---juvenile detention or Blackthorn Academy. She knows that she'll never last 30 days in juvie...she'd be killed! She's not designed to fight so she agrees to go to the academy, but she didn't know she was agreeing to a year there!

Rachel travels across th
Jennifer Maloney
Katarina
I totally loved this book.

I love these kinds of YA books, esp set in a boarding school. This book reminded me of "The Specialists" series by Shannon Greenland, which I also love.

The book is well written, it's exciting all the way through, the characters are all unique, the setting is perfect....I loved it and can't wait to read more from this series.
Nikki
My copy was provided to me by Netgalley.

Rachel is a typical spoiled brat. She's ignored by her parents and she acts out against everything they say. Her mom tells her she dresses like a slob so she dresses even more like a slob. She befriends the bad crowd at school because they're the opposite kind of people her parents would want her to interact with and they care about her.

Well, she was wrong. When Rachel takes the blame for stealing a car her "friends" stole, she's given two choices. She ca
Girl4beluga
The backround of this troublesome teen lands her in BlackThorn Academy. When strange acurences and the strange class courses including code theory leads her to discovering a mystery that was unravaling at her fingertips. Now she must imbark on a journey to self discovery.
Kat E.
I originally gave this book three stars. It's an okay, easy read and I did find myself enjoying it. However I changed my review to two stars after finding out that after book three the series changes to manga. For no particular reason the author decided that it would be a good idea to say "hey I'm gonna write this series in manga form" HALFWAY THROUGH THE SERIES. Now admittedly I wasn't totally in love with the series anyway. I found most of the dialogue to be a bit cheesy. And now apparently di ...more
Erica Handley
I love this book. I have tried to find similar books but nothing has compared to this book. I have gotten all of my coworkers addicted to the series. The books in the series are fun, have adventure, and who wouldn't want to go to a spy school.
Homefrontgirl
While this book was predictable even for a YA title, it was the voice of Rachel (main character) that kept me interested. Some of the plot lines we're a little out there, but Rachel's one-liners were so funny I didn't didn't bother me that much.
Kathy
*I was sent this book for review from NetGalley*
This was a very light read. If you are looking for a novel that is cute, but still interesting, then this is your book! I thought that it was very witty with well-written humor. The characters were adorable and I felt so connected to them. And can we please talk about the plot twist? The plot twist. Oh, the plot twist. It was extremely unexpected and I thought it was absolutely genius! The plot twist made this book so much better than what I expect
Moonlight
*Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
description

This is a quick, fun read that is perfect for those who want a story of light espionage and action. The cover is bright, however I feel it needs something more to help it stand out.

When Rachel is caught during a speed chase in a stolen car, she is happy to take the blame knowing her parents will get her out of the mess she has caused. She is wrong. She has been faced with a decision, attend Blackthorn Academy for one year or at
Robin
As mentioned on another review, I am horrible at writing reviews, so have decided to keep a score card & write in my thoughts of why I chose that rating for it. Every category is based out of 5.

Review Tally:

Overall: 4

Story/Plot: 4 - The general premise of this novel is a young troubled teen who has a second chance by going to a special school. I enjoyed the humor even if I did think the heroine was considerably immature - but then, it could be representative of some young teens.

Re-read Value
Michele
I really do wish I could give half stars because I'd rate this 3.5. not quite a 4 but better than a three. It was a quick read, a good story just not a GREAT story. But I am interested enough to read on in the series.

Books about a (shock shock) Rich girl who gets sent to boarding school instead of juvi and finds out there's more to the school than she thought. spy stuff ya know? I do like that sort of story line so I'll continue to read the series.
LadyTechie
I enjoyed Live and Let Shop. It was very funny for the first half. The second half started to get a bit different. I'm not sure how I feel about the storyline with regard to the villain. I'm also not sure how I feel about how things ended. I'm still mulling it over. I would have liked things better if the ending followed the same premise and path of the first half of the book. It kind of felt like she had people working to discipline her and control her in Beverly Hills and then she arrived at t ...more
Modesty_b
The story is good.. but it is maddening to read it with the vocabulary of a teenager (especially when she thinks she is smart ass and doesn't even know what is an anagram ) and I almost dnf-ed it but somehow kept on it till the middle where things get interesting. overall I really liked it.
Jeff Crosby
I continue to binge on YA espionage fiction, and I'm having a lot of fun. This first book in a series has some serious issues with reality. We have another spy academy. In this one, most of the high school kids are somewhat dysfunctional in society. The story is quite simple, but swerves into the silly supernatural. Light, fast and fun.
Mandy
I had never heard of Spy Goddess: Live And Let Shop, and honestly it looks old, unloved, and cheesy. But I was in the mood for a spy school sort of read so I decided to pick it up despite its cover. (Point one for Mandy's moral)
This book intrigued me. It was interesting that the school isn't full of elitists but of second-chancers and under dogs. Though it wasn't as spy-ish as I would have liked, the book was still good. This book is better suited for middle-schoolers, but it was still a nice re
Julie
The witty snarky teenage girl protagonist sounds like a middle aged man.

This really didn't work on ay level for me. Not a horrible book, but not much fun for me, either.
Kristin
What better time to snuggle up with a book but the dead of winter? Spy Goddess by Michael Spradlin will have you at the edge of your seat with your eyes glued to the pages. After getting in trouble once again, Rachel Buchanan makes a deal with the judge to attend Blackthorn Academy. Though she instantly despises the place, within a month she is overcome with concern for Mr. Kim as he goes missing. This novel is filled with adventure as the cunning and smart-mouthed Rachel (“Raych,” as Pilar call ...more
Kristin
Jess
No, I was not expecting this to be intellectual. No, it wasn't. I mean, it wasn't dirty, and there really wasn't anything objectionable to it, it just didn't do anything for me. Nothing. If you like a more translucent storyline, to feel smart by guessing the bad guys, and a mildly annoying main character, then you'd probably like this. That said, I'll probably read the next one. But only because I can't figure out who she ends up with, Brent or Alex. I'm rooting for Brent, just fyi. He's super q ...more
Gracie
I've read this book on the plus of five times. It's been a source of humor and action. Love this book.
Sunshyne
Got this thinking my god daughter might like it, but neither seemed too interested.
Lia
Meh. This book should have been the first third in a whole book. It's like the whole book is just one long (and tedious) set up for the title of the book (but not the subtitle ... it has no reason for being) and to present the reason for the second book. It could have been written in 1/3 of the space and been much better. There is a word for books like this: Sloppy. Yes, sloppy writing. Terrible balance of story, CONVENIENT plot--especially at some key points ... I won't bother with the others. ...more
bookczuk
Jun 29, 2010 bookczuk rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to bookczuk by: unshelved newsletter
Got this thinking one or both of the granddaughters might like it, but neither seemed too interested. Looks like the start of a kick-ass new series for kids though. I'm pretty sure I read a review of it in the Unshelved newsletter, but can't find it now. So, misunderstood (not juvenile delinquent) Rachael Buchanan and her buddies from Blackthorn Academy race to save the world from the evil genius of Mithras reincarnated.
Rojo
I really don't even remember this book, it's been so long.
All I remember is the main character being sent to a reform school, finding a secret-attic-type-mall-thing, and talking about the Gap. And it really annoyed me at the time to read it as "the Gap".

I'm pretty sure I liked it, and there was supposed to be a sequel wasn't there? It seriously just left off on a cliffhanger if memory serves correct. So where is it?!
Filsan
It was awesome. Really short but I loved her attitude. I don't feel very connected to Rachel or her friends. They have no depth as characters and as a book there was no transition of change for any of the characters including Rachel. The principal claimed there was but Rachel was the same, the only difference was that she realised that the boarding school was better that going back to home that she is unwanted in.
Julie
This is the first non paranormal book I've read in a long time and it was pretty good fun. The plot line is frankly quite outlandish, yet at the same time I kept being entertained by the characters and what they got into. I will most likely be reading any sequels and hopefully enjoying those as well. Great YA book for those who are getting tired of the whole paranormal scene.
  • Down to the Wire (The Specialists, #2)
  • Killer Spirit (The Squad, #2)
  • Spy High Mission One
  • Double Digit (Digit, #2)
  • Two Lies and a Spy (Two Lies and a Spy, #1)
  • Alibi Junior High
  • Hereditary (Beatrice Harrow #1)
  • Extremely Famous (Famous, #3)
  • Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales, #3)
  • Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning, Vol. 01
  • The Lost Island of Tamarind
  • Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime
  • S.T.O.R.M.: The Infinity Code (S.T.O.R.M., #1)
  • The Royal Marriage Arrangement
  • Breaking Through the Waves (Hawaiian Crush, #2)
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • Feudlings in Flames (Fate on Fire, #2)
  • Fake ID (Hunted, #1)
Michael P. Spradlin is the author of more than a dozen books for children.
More about Michael P. Spradlin...
Keeper of the Grail (The Youngest Templar, #1) Trail of Fate (The Youngest Templar, #2) Orphan of Destiny (The Youngest Templar, #3) It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Zombies: A Book of Zombie Christmas Carols To Hawaii, with Love (Spy Goddess, #2)