Start by marking “Lights Out (Fear Street, #12)” as Want to Read:
Lights Out (Fear Street, #12)

Lights Out (Fear Street #12)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,934 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Welcome to Fear Street.

Don’t listen to the stories they tell you about Fear Street. Wouldn’t you rather explore it yourself…and see if its dark terror and unexplained mysteries are true? You’re not afraid, are you?

Who killed the counselor?

“I could kill you!” screamed Geri Marcus.

Could she? Would she? something is very wrong at Camp Nightwing, and junior counselor Holly Fly
Published July 1st 1991 by Simon Pulse (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Lights Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lights Out

Steen
Pretty good although way to many characters that you just want to slap.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Originally one star review but two stars because nostalgia factor kicked in.

I've re-read some Fear Street and over-all every book has that feeling of low-budget old school horror movies about teenagers, except without drugs and sex. It just has that feeling, I don't know. I like to think R.L. Stine was homaging those movies. Some of these books are better than others, and some of them are really bad. They are quick reads, so it's a good way to spend an afternoon/night.
Callie Rose Tyler
Oct 11, 2014 Callie Rose Tyler rated it it was ok
Growing up I was all about Goosebumps and then I got to the point where I had read all of them and I discovered that on the other side of the library (the teenager/adult side) there were these much more sophisticated books by R.L. Stine. I checked them out and thought they were AMAZING.

Lately I've been all about nostalgia and remembering the gay 'ole 90's.

I thought it would be so fun to go back and read a Fear Street and laugh at 90's lingo and cheesy horror tropes. But....

Ultimately it just ki
Women Write About Comics
Feb 08, 2015 Women Write About Comics rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
Drucilla
Sep 30, 2015 Drucilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: fear-street
I feel like this book is a cop out. The only reference to Fear street is that it's where the main character lives. This happens in other Fear Street books, but at least those take place in Shadyside. Two things really made me mad in this book. One, nobody listens to Holly's theories. The police should at least listen to what she has to say, but I understand why they don't take her seriously. Her Uncle Bill, though, (at least in regards to the vandalism, not the murder) should be listening as it' ...more
Rachael Quinn
Oct 12, 2014 Rachael Quinn rated it really liked it
The Fear Street reading continues. I seriously feel like I need a huge tub of movie popcorn while I read these. Also, may I please make the request AGAIN that we get every Fear Street book made into an hour and a half long TV special. Maybe Netflix would do it?

Holly is not a big fan of the outdoors but her uncle, Bill’s, camp is failing and he needs her to work as a counselor. Holly loves her uncle and decides to help him any way that she can. Luckily, one of Holly’s closest friends, Thea, is a
Paul Kim
Jun 26, 2015 Paul Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: r-l-stine
Fairly average whodunit suspense book that's mostly on mystery aspect but little on horror aspect. What I mean is the book spends time of the main character investigating while accidents are happening that doesn't harm anyone with the excepetion of one murder.

I guess that's probably the only reason why I rated the book 3 stars. Perhaps, more characters should be harmed or pranks should be scarring or disturbing instead of accidents.

It's rather easy predict who the killer is as well but at some p
Marija
I think there are scarier books by R.L. Stine. The plot wasn't captivating enough and it bored me.
Ashley Ehlers

Originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

Lights out was a bleh read for me. I was excited about the summary and ready to dive into it but as I got deeper into the storyline my interest started to dwindle. The reason behind that is that the counsellor took forever to die! Forever! It happened in like the third quarter of the book! From the way the blurb sounds it happens pretty quickly, however it doesn’t. Most of the book is build up to the murder and what
Nikki
Nov 10, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it
Jason Korbus
Jul 25, 2016 Jason Korbus rated it liked it
Tara
Aug 14, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
Stephanie Woodard
Jun 26, 2014 Stephanie Woodard rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book it kept me on the edge if my seat read it in about a hour and a half
Wendy
Aug 04, 2016 Wendy added it
One of my favorite book series as a kid.
V
Nov 20, 2015 V added it
Terrifically unexpected ending.
Sammie Ortiz
Apr 24, 2012 Sammie Ortiz rated it it was amazing
Holly volunteers her summer to help out at her uncle’s summer camp. Soon she finds out this is no ordinary camp; unless all camps have one of their counselors murdered? She now must try to save her uncle’s camp but finds herself trying to save her own life as well! This book was suspenseful the entire time. The book ends off with a twist you will not believe!

My all time favorite Fear Street book!
Mollie Trail
Feb 04, 2013 Mollie Trail rated it really liked it
R. L. Stine got me to stay up extra late with that trickiness of his. His chapters were 3-4 pages long on average and a few were less than half a page long. I thought it was a good story and it engaged you for sure. It's a nice short read for anyone who wants to slip a book really quickly into their yearly goal.
Monaliza Marcelo
this is trully cool.

girl's name is Holly, she was up for being a councilor for his uncle's camp who was struggling to regain his camp after many bad lucks happened. but whatever they do, someone really wants the camp to fall, and that someone will do everything for his purpose, even to kill...
Caitlyn
Nov 04, 2012 Caitlyn rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl named Holly who goes to her uncle's summer camp to be a camp councilor. As she is there she notices strange things happening to the camp and at each accident there is a red feather. She realizes that she needs to save the camp and get to the bottom of things.
Zeeshan Ahmed
Oct 09, 2013 Zeeshan Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesomeness!

Loved the feel. R.L. Stine (I love whatever he writes!) once again killing it (literally). The tension persisted throughout the book, and the conclusion was good too.

(Keeping the 'Halloween month' in mind, I'll be reading only macabre/ horror this month).
Jason
Apr 17, 2014 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This was never one of my favorite Fear Street books. I just re read it and liked it better than I remember but still not one of my fave's. The killer and his motives are pretty easy to guess if you ask me.. and I think he uses the word "sooth" about 27 times... god.
Cypress Ruby
Jul 26, 2016 Cypress Ruby rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Summer camp gone wrong. Holly tried her best to solve the mystery. Until someone tried to kill her for it. Actually this book pissed me off, too many cliche here. But this is one of the classic book. Classic horror/thriller story. So it's okay.
M0rningstar
May 14, 2011 M0rningstar rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Read these by the truckload in elementary school, alongside a steady diet of Stephen King. They were lots of fun and a little scary. I don't remember any of the stories but recognize a few of the covers.
Hew France
Apr 16, 2015 Hew France rated it liked it
Not a bad book, though, it feels like one of the more weaker entries in the series. Still, Stine does a great job building suspense, and making you wonder just what the heck is going on
Courtney
I read a ton of these R.L. Stine thrillers in elementary and early middle school. Good for a quick thrill...and let's face it...the books have some great B-horror movie covers!
Tasha Mitchell
Mar 09, 2016 Tasha Mitchell rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Oh, I hate former best friend so much in this. I wanted to throw her in the lake but I enjoyed reading it as well. Its really a great read if you love camps.
syazana kamsari
Apr 13, 2010 syazana kamsari rated it really liked it
Another one of my RL Stine books. Filled with blood, threats and betrayals, this book gave me chills and nice people can turn out bad, even the ones you love.
Melissa
Jun 14, 2007 Melissa rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-adult
Unlike Christopher Pike, these are probably totally unreadable as an adult. I recognize the covers instead of the plots or titles.
Brittany
Jul 25, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it
I read this book while in middle school. I was a HUGE R.L. Stine fan and like most of his other books, I couldn't put it down.
Heather lee
Jul 04, 2008 Heather lee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people how like mistery
Recommended to Heather by: my sister
nm but it is relly good...and never go out in to the woods all by you self... it is really good you should read it some time
Aiossa's 14/15 Se...: Alex Gonzalez book review 4 1 3 Dec 18, 2012 02:19PM
  • Monster
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Prom Dress
  • Fatal Bargain (Vampire's Promise, #3)
  • Funhouse (Point Horror, #9)
  • Final Exam
  • Three Complete Novels By V C Andrews: Heaven Dawn Ruby

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Fear Street (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9)
  • Ski Weekend (Fear Street, #10)