Start by marking “The Boy Next Door (Fear Street, #39)” as Want to Read:
The Boy Next Door (Fear Street, #39)

The Boy Next Door (Fear Street #39)

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  1,656 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
This guy’s got killer looks…

Lauren and Crystal think Scott has it all. He’s handsome. He’s the new star of Shadyside High’s football team. And he’s moved in right next door! Both girls will do anything. Say anything. Try anything to get the chance to go out with him. That’s all either of them want.

But that’s all Scott’s last girlfriend wanted, too—and now she’s dead.
Published June 1st 1996 by Simon Pulse (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Next Door

The Betrayal by R.L. StineHalloween Party by R.L. StineThe First Evil by R.L. StineThe Wrong Number by R.L. StineThe Second Evil by R.L. Stine
Best Fear Street Book
15th out of 62 books — 100 voters
Don't Go To Sleep! by R.L. StineMoonlight Secrets by R.L. StineHow I Learned To Fly by R.L. StineMidnight Games by R.L. StineBeach House by R.L. Stine
Best of R.L. Stine
20th out of 117 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

Alice Rachel
Mar 19, 2016 Alice Rachel rated it did not like it
Wow this book is just awful!
It contains everything I hate in a YA novel.

I will start with the misogyny seeping through every page of this book. The two main female characters are shallow girls whose only interests involve boys, make-up, and clothes. Really? Are we supposed to believe those are the only interests of teenage girls? Has R L Stine never had a conversation with a teenage girl? Ugh!
The only female character with a slight amount of a brain in this book is Mel and even she is a typical
kylajaclyn
Aug 09, 2012 kylajaclyn rated it really liked it
Scott is the best villain ever. I loved this one!!
Glimpsing at Shadyside Snark, I see that this one has the same premise as First Date, which I was actually thinking about reading next. This one was different from any I have read before, but I might like this one less after I read First Date. Well, for now this one is original.

Moral of the Story: There is such a thing as being TOO prudish.

Body Count: 2

The Usual Suspect(s): Scott

Tagline: They were flirting - with death. (Awesome!)

Plot: The curta
Bella
Jan 18, 2010 Bella rated it it was ok
This book was about a boy named Scott who killed his ex girlfriend. He killed her because he thought she turned into a slut. He moves next door to a girl named Crystal and she immediately likes him. He wants to keep his distance because he thinks she's slutty too and doesn't want to kill her. Crystal and her friend Lynne are basically fighting over him, but then her sister Mel falls for him too. She doesn't believe Crystal when she says Scott isn't right in the head, so she gets put in a lot of ...more
Kristen Jaques
Sep 08, 2014 Kristen Jaques rated it liked it
A wholesome young man with considerable sexual hang-ups unsuccessfully battles the urge to murder his lipstick-wearing, scantily-clad female classmates. I feel like there might be room for a "still a better love story than Twilight" joke here.
Stephanie:) :D :P loves COOKIES! D.
This book is about a new neighbor that moved next door from Crystal and Lynne. Crystal and Lynne are two best friends, and when the new neighbor named Scott moved next to Crystal, both of them were betting on of who were going to kiss him first and go out with him. But something has happened to Scott's old girlfriend before but he wants to forget about it and didn't want to tell anyone what happened. So what's going to happen next?
Cailan Dougall
Sep 19, 2013 Cailan Dougall rated it really liked it
This book is about boy who moves next door to two sisters. The boy acts very strangely. He wants on sister to be his girlfriend, and thinks the other is getting in his way. He tries to kill the other sister, but fails.

I would recommend this book to someone else. The book drew me in and I didn't want to put it down. The detail, action and horror in this book makes this book a very cool and scary book. I additionally liked how the book switches from one person speaking to another person.
Mariah
Jun 09, 2009 Mariah rated it it was ok
This was a great book. It was basically about two friends who really liked the same boy and did whatever it took to get his attention. Later on in the story one of the friends started dating him and he killed her. It took a while for people to realize it. The boy was alwayhs acting strange.(: you should check it out)
Gina
Feb 14, 2015 Gina rated it did not like it
I read this book for a reading challenge--a book from my childhood. I used to love RL Stine...when I was 11. I remember loving his Fear Street books. Glad my tastes have matured :)
Lazar
Jun 16, 2015 Lazar rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, r-l-stine, horror
It was really different from his other books ! I really liked it
Danielle
Oooooo what a creep!

He kills his ex girlfriend and then he goes on a search for a woman who "can behave".

The scariest part of this book, was that so many crazy men like this exist. They are destroyed by their mothers and end up going psychotic!

See sometimes it pays to be the goodie two shoes who reads to much.
Donna
Jun 16, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
THE BOY NEXT DOOR had a definite creep element to the story that gave it an edge. Scott is a sicko, fueled by his parents. I’m sure their intentions are fine but they ended up creating this monster who envisions women as beacons of chastity, don’t wear make-up, don’t wear revealing clothing, don’t act in a lascivious way and when they do he gets repulsed by them, disgusted, and feels the need to eliminate them from life. As crazies are wont to do. The POV alternates between Crystal and Scott so ...more
Angel Cortes
the book was mostly about a guy named scott and girl named crystal. crystal was loking for some adventure in her life. scott is a strange deranged kid who has day dreams of killing people. so scott has a girfriend. his girlfriend started out sweet but grew in to what scott thinks is a "no way to behave" behavior. so he invites her into the neighbors pool so they could go for a swim. but scott knows that the pool is empty. so he dares her to dive inside and she does and she dies. so after that he ...more
Simon Yu
Nov 14, 2010 Simon Yu rated it liked it
This book is about a high school boy named Scott Collins and he just moved in a house on Fear Street with his family. He also lives next door to Crystal Thomas and Melinda Thomas house and is considered their neighbor. They all goes to the same school called Shadyside High School. Crystal and her friend, Lynne Palmer wants to go out with Scott because they think that he is the perfect boyfriend. Then Crystal and Melinda, her sister figures out who Scott really is. My opinion of this book is that ...more
Trevor Wells
Oct 12, 2014 Trevor Wells rated it really liked it
Shelves: fear-street
I read this a while back, and it's one of my favorite Fear Street books (although I really like all the Fear Street books I've read). The storytelling is very smooth and the villian is really compelling. But there are some plot holes that took some bite out of what is otherwise a good book.

The plot is that Crystal and Lynne (not Lauren, like it says on the back of the book) have both fallen hard for Scott, Crystal's new neighbor. They both will do anything to be Scott's girlfriend. But what they
Timmy/CNHS
Oct 20, 2009 Timmy/CNHS rated it liked it
What happens if you and your friend like this one personthat niether of you would give in and would fight for him/her and that you don't know he/she has a hidden secret? In this book there are two girls named Lynne and Crystal. These two girls think Scott is handsome and he's the new star of there schools football team, but best of all, he's moved in right next door to them. Lynne and Crystal would do anything or say anything to catch the attention of Scott and to get the chance to go out with ...more
Dilan
Jan 27, 2009 Dilan rated it really liked it
The Boy Next Door takes place in a town called Shadyside. In Fear street there are two girls named Crystal, and Lynne. Fear street is a place were bad things happened strange things were no one wants to live but i don't know why they live there. Crystal, and Lynne meet this guy named Scott who moves next door to Crystal's house, they seem to like him a lot.

I can make a text to self connection to this book. I had a friend best friend we were always playing and stuff but he was greedy and i though
ØrionSof2014
"The Boy Next Door" takes place in the town of Shadyside. In Shadyside there is a street named Fear Street. On Fear Street there are two girls named Crystal and Melinda. Fear Street is also the name of one of the series R.L stine wrote. Crystal and Melinda go to Shadyside High school. This story is in four points of view,
Crystal's, Melinda's, Scott's and Lauren's.

I can make a text to self connection to this book. I had a friend that I thought I knew very well, over time my perception of my f
Giselle
Oct 30, 2009 Giselle rated it it was amazing
The Boy Next Door is about Scott and Crystal. So Scott is a psychopath and he doens't like girls who are out there and wear makeup and skimpy clothes. He likes to kill them. in his old town he killed his girlfriend and wants to kill other girls who wear makeup which to him is no way to behave. Crystal lives next door to Scott and she and her best friend Lynne think he is super hot so they are determned to ho out with him. Crystal starts to uncover the truth about Scott.

A text-to-self connection
Layla
this book was about two girls named lynne and crystal. these two girls think scot has it all. he's handsome. hes the new star of there schools football team, but best of all, hes moved in right next door. both girls would do anything or say anything to get the chance to go out with him. thats all either of them wanted. but thats what scots last girlfriend wanted too. and now shes dead.
i could make a text to text connection to the book twilight because in twilight bella dosnt know if she should t
Palorca
Nov 06, 2008 Palorca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ANYONE
Recommended to Palorca by: Ms. Doherty
OMG DONT TELL ME MY TRUE LOVE TURNS TO BE A PSYCHO !!

THE GUY SCOTT IS A PSYCHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more words !!!
girls deeply fall in love for him for then to be stocked,threaten and more.how can a guy hate lipstick,miniskirts?...plz only if you were sleeping..

this is a interesting book because it relates to many people that have mental problems like this character,SCOTT.I FIND THIS BOOK INSTERESTING BECAUSE IT DOESNT REVEAL ANYTHING ABOUT THE CHARACTER UNTIL YOU READ LIKE 3 CHAPTERS OR 4.I rec
Nov 25, 2016 Sarah rated it did not like it
Christy
Apr 05, 2011 Christy rated it really liked it
I love RL Stine. I used to read his books like no tomorrow in High School (and still do). This is a good one. Scott & his family move next door to Crystal. Crystal & her best friend Lauren are smitten by Scott & his good looks. Ironically enough, Scott does not seem to be interested in either girl & is disgusted by thier flirtatious behavior, it's "no way to behave," Crystal has heard him say. Despite his good looks, Scott harbors a deep & dark past. He has weird visions of ...more
Think
Jun 01, 2014 Think rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Fear Street books. I remember reading it in my early teens, and being thrilled by the story. A very good aspect of reading, even if its fiction, is that some books create a new area of knowledge in your mind. It widens your imagination and makes you think that "I never thought that could be a possibility." And when you think so, you know you've read a good book. This is why I always advocate reading books written for your age group. It always keeps you a step ahead. ...more
Pume
this book is about how to girls who fight over this guy. The guy does not sem to notice them but after a while he seems to take intrest in them. Soon one of them turns up dead. It is revealed that the boy was the murder and is stopped.

In any of t he fear street novels The boyfriend always did it. It is very similar to the book again by r.l Stine the boyfriend did it. I notice this pattern through out all of the series.

I would give this book a 4. It was filled with all kinds of excitement. All th
Wai Lin
Mar 26, 2008 Wai Lin rated it liked it
The boy next door is basically about a popular guy who just moved in. The girls thinks he's hot and cool but they don't know thats he's got a past. Two girls who were best friend end up fight for him. But along the way, one of the girls died and when the other best friend realizes who did it, it was too late since he was after her.
I like R.L Stine's books because it's got a little thriller in it since I don't usually watch scary movies or read horror books. And also, you never know what happens
Lilly Zheng
Jun 10, 2013 Lilly Zheng rated it liked it
Scott, the new boy in town is known for killing his ex girlfriend. He killed her because he thought she turned into a slut. When Scott arrives to town he moves in next to a girl named Crystal. Scott knows that Crystal isn't a good girl and wants to keep his distant just in case so he doesn't kill her. R.L Stine books are so unpredictable, every move is surprising. If you like really easy-to-read thrillers, this book is for you. I enjoyed reading this book because it was thriller with lots of ...more
SaturNalia
Scott is handsome and athletic, he moves in to a house on Fear Street next to Crystal. Crystal and Lynne bet on who will date him first. It's stated up front that Scott is a killer and his thoughts are creepy. He has a hard time deciphering reality from dream, goes into sudden rages and believes most girls are sluts. Crystal's sister Mel is Scott's perfect girl, because she is mousy and frumpy. Compared to other stories I have read from the series this was pretty gruesome and sick, but it was ...more
Mario Rocchetta
Jul 25, 2014 Mario Rocchetta rated it it was amazing
"The Boy Next Door" tells the story of Scott, the new boy in town who the girls are just DYING to date. All jokes aside, Scott carries a dark past that makes him very interesting as a main character. As always, Stine masterfully brings the blood and gore without crossing any boundaries. I personally enjoyed the hilarity with which Scott related (or should I say, couldn't relate) to the girls who are after his bod. Lots of 90s references make this a classic. Check it out!
Alex
I didn't remember anything about this book except for the cover, which made it a fun read. (I love that one of the main character's names was wrong on the back cover, by the way.)

It was fun to be in Scott's head with all his psycho thoughts stemming from his psychotic mother. It was hard not to laugh every time I read "no way to behave!" Apparently putting on a bit of blush means you should die. Who knew?
Perla
Jan 22, 2014 Perla marked it as to-read
This book has a lot of mystery! And a lot of love, or is it obsession? Scott moved in as Crystal's neighbor. Scott has everything! He's smart, good looking , and is in the football team. Lauren and Crystal fall in love with him and are trying to get with him. But what they don't realize is that they are trying to flirt to their death. Read this book to find out how they are getting closer to meeting their grave!
  • The Wicked Heart
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Three Complete Novels By V C Andrews: Heaven Dawn Ruby
  • Claudia and the New Girl (The Baby-sitters Club, #12)
  • The Fever
  • Good Switch, Bad Switch (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #3)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Fear Street (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9)
  • Ski Weekend (Fear Street, #10)