The Roman Emperors

The Roman Emperors

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  9 reviews
s/t: A Biographical Guide to the Rulers of Imperial Rome 31 BC-AD 476
Michael Grant has established himself as one of the leading classical historians of our time. Here, from the author of such outstanding works as History of Rome and From Alexander to Cleopatra, are the biographies of ninety-two Roman emperors to A.D. 476. The Roman emperors were the men who wielded power...more
Published 1985 by Scribner Book Company

Kathryn
1st Recorded Reading: October, 2005

According to my records, I read this book back in 2005; but I decided to read it again, not least because I had bought a new used copy. It is a good book, going through all the Emperors chronologically (all 92 of them), and is a very good resource volume. It is a book that I very much enjoyed reading; not least because it helps to remember the past to help understand the present and to plan for the future.

The Roman Empire has a definite beginning, with the acce...more
Terence
Like the Oxford Dictionary of Popes, Grant packs a lot of information into necessarily brief essays on every Roman emperor from Augustus Caesar to Romulus Augustus but if you need to know about Pertinax's senatorial career or the first Gordian's family background, this is the reference for you.
Karolinde (Kari)
All though a little dry, there was a lot of great information in this book. It covers all of the Roman Emperors from Augustus to the fall of the Western Empire. Grant evens includes tidbits on upstarts who managed to actually get power for a small time. It seems well researched and I really learned a lot. I would have liked a complete biography through the end of the Byzantine Empire, but it was still a worth the time I took to read it.
Jen
It's good as a reference, but not to read straight-through. Plus, I could have done without the author referring to homosexual emperors as "sexual inverts."
Nathaniel
Lots of information, but as difficult to read as you'd imagine if you wanted to give the biography of every single Roman emperor that ever lived.

A bit hard to keep track of the names in later years, but a good read. Interesting that Romulus Augustulus wasn't the last Emperor.
Kwende
Everything you want to know about the Roman Emperors but where afraid to ask!
Sean Chick
A superb reference work.
Tyler
Really slow read.
Thomas
Thomas added it
Jul 13, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Ralf
Ralf marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Rachel Taylor
Rachel Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Mir
Mir marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
aaallleee
aaallleee marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Carl
Carl added it
Jun 05, 2014
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Neeltje
Neeltje marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Steven Myers
Steven Myers marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Elmira
Elmira marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Guilherme
Guilherme marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Philocyon
Philocyon marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
I_am_the_man
I_am_the_man marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Laura Leilani
Laura Leilani marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Mar 10, 2014
Michael Grant was an English classisist, numismatist, and author of numerous popular books on ancient history. His 1956 translation of Tacitus’s Annals of Imperial Rome remains a standard of the work. He once described himself as "one of the very few freelances in the field of ancient history: a rare phenomenon". As a popularizer, his hallmarks were his prolific output and his unwillingness to ove...more
More about Michael Grant...
Cleopatra: A Biography The Twelve Caesars History of Rome Julius Caesar Myths of the Greeks and Romans