Start by marking “The Roman Emperors” as Want to Read:
The Roman Emperors

The Roman Emperors

s/t: A Biographical Guide to the Rulers of Imperial Rome 31 BC-AD 476
Michael Grant has established himself as one of the leading classical historians of our time. Here, from the author of such outstanding works as History of Rome and From Alexander to Cleopatra, are the biographies of ninety-two Roman emperors to A.D. 476. The Roman emperors were the men who wielded power
Published 1985 by Scribner Book Company (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Roman Emperors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roman Emperors

Kathryn
Jan 17, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2005, 2013
1st Recorded Reading: October, 2005

According to my records, I read this book back in 2005; but I decided to read it again, not least because I had bought a new used copy. It is a good book, going through all the Emperors chronologically (all 92 of them), and is a very good resource volume. It is a book that I very much enjoyed reading; not least because it helps to remember the past to help understand the present and to plan for the future.

The Roman Empire has a definite beginning, with the acce
Sean Chick
Dec 29, 2014 Sean Chick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A superb reference work but perhaps I am being too harsh when I ask for more. I kept wondering how the empire kept going on despite such chaos in the empire's leadership. Most of these emperor's were killed, which makes Romulus Augustulus interesting: it seems he was not murdered.
Terence
Like the Oxford Dictionary of Popes, Grant packs a lot of information into necessarily brief essays on every Roman emperor from Augustus Caesar to Romulus Augustus but if you need to know about Pertinax's senatorial career or the first Gordian's family background, this is the reference for you.
Ginger Heskett
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Karolinde (Kari)
All though a little dry, there was a lot of great information in this book. It covers all of the Roman Emperors from Augustus to the fall of the Western Empire. Grant evens includes tidbits on upstarts who managed to actually get power for a small time. It seems well researched and I really learned a lot. I would have liked a complete biography through the end of the Byzantine Empire, but it was still a worth the time I took to read it.
Jun 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A bit hard to keep track of the names in later years, but a good read. Interesting that Romulus Augustulus wasn't the last Emperor.
Jen
Apr 08, 2016 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-romans
It's good as a reference, but not to read straight-through. Plus, I could have done without the author referring to homosexual emperors as "sexual inverts."
Nathaniel
Lots of information, but as difficult to read as you'd imagine if you wanted to give the biography of every single Roman emperor that ever lived.
Makomai
Makomai rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Richard Munro
Richard Munro rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2010
Jack Nieporte
Jack Nieporte rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2009
Jozef Benko
Jozef Benko rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Gpsz
Gpsz rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Mei Dean
Mei Dean rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
T.P. Davis
T.P. Davis rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2009
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2008
Mark Koyama
Mark Koyama rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Brian Adams
Brian Adams rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2008
Jerry Mrizek
Is what it is, an encyclopedia of Roman emperors. Nothing in depth but a good reference to have.
Paul Grant
Paul Grant rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
April Ward
April Ward rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Mark Kenderdine
Mark Kenderdine rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2011
Alice Wakely
Alice Wakely rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2011
Michael Loret
Michael Loret rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Bret
May 24, 2016 Bret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will never finish reading this book - toward my betterment.
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Corvin Ninua
Corvin Ninua rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Daily Life in Ancient Rome: The People and the City at the Height of the Empire
  • Daily Life in Ancient Rome
  • As the Romans Did: A Sourcebook in Roman Social History
  • The Great Fire of Rome: The Fall of the Emperor Nero and His City
  • Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome
  • Julius Caesar: Man, Soldier, And Tyrant
  • Caligula: The Corruption of Power
  • The Last Generation of the Roman Republic
  • Caesar: A Biography
  • Dark History of the Roman Emperors: From Julius Caesar to the Fall of Rome
  • Emperors of Rome: The Story of Imperial Rome from Julius Ceasar to the Last Emperor
  • The Ruin of the Roman Empire: A New History
  • Pompeii: The Living City
  • The Colosseum
  • Caesar (Emperors, #3)
  • 69 A.D.: The Year of Four Emperors
  • The Enemies of Rome: From Hannibal to Attila the Hun
  • Julius/Augustus/Tiberius/Gaius/Caligula (Lives of the Caesars 1)
Michael Grant was an English classisist, numismatist, and author of numerous popular books on ancient history. His 1956 translation of Tacitus’s Annals of Imperial Rome remains a standard of the work. He once described himself as "one of the very few freelances in the field of ancient history: a rare phenomenon". As a popularizer, his hallmarks were his prolific output and his unwillingness to ove ...more
More about Michael Grant...