Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories

Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Dim the lights, lock the doors -- and BEWARE! It's time to read R.L. Stine's favorite scary stories.

Discover a ghastly secret in "The Judge's House," a terrifying tale of evil rats by Bram Stoker, the author of dracula. Laugh out loud at the scary surprises in poems by Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky. Visit an evil carnival in "The Black Ferris" by Ray Bradbury. (R.L....more
Published July 27th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Beware!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beware!

Caitlin
A fun and (at times) creepy collection of author R.L. Stine's favorite scary stories. This short story compilation was overall enjoyable, and a few of the entries were downright spooky! I think R.L. Stine did a fantastic job of selecting a variety of different genres and formats for these horror stories: some are ghostly tales, some are classic suspense stories, some are science-fiction oriented, and some are just campy fun. Stine also includes poems, a comic strip, and a selection from a longer...more
Elizabeth
This is a very nice collection of spooky stories. Some are darker, some are slightly humorous, and some are downright odd. Here are a few classic scary stories alongside some of R. L. Stine's original work. Here are vignettes, short stories, poems, and even a comic book. The only part I didn't personally care for was Stine's rewriting of Stoker's "The Judge's House." Sure, I get that Stine was writing for children, and I know Stoker's wording can be difficult at times, but the dense writing of "...more
Lorene Evans
In case anyone was confused, STINE WRITES FOR CHILDREN! Even at 8, Fear Street wasn't that bad. I always thought Goosebumps was stupid, but I read Fear Street like a maniac. If you read this as a child, you had the best book of your life in your hands. I must have checked it out from the library at least 5 times. I used it for a book report in the fifth grade. Clearly, it's not scary for adults. I loved this book, and it's definitely great for late elementary age.
Matt Mazenauer
Don't let R.L. Stine scare you from this. There are a lot of great stories here, from little undiscovered treasures to Ray Bradbury, Bram Stoker, William Sleator, Roald Dahl, and even Shel Silverstein. Definately worth picking up.
Christine Verstraete
Oct 28, 2008 Christine Verstraete marked it as to-read
I have the hardcover. Thrilled to find it a flea market! Very nice book!
Cheryl
Alisa read a funny, scary story from this collection at Halloween time.
Aaron
Popular author R.L. Stine, makes a collection of his favorite horror stories. These stories inspired him to become a writer. They are all creepy classic tales that he has enjoyed over the years. He is showing why he has become a writer and why he loves these tales.

I also like horror books like R.L. Stine. They have inspired him to become a writer. He must love the idea of spooky tales like me. I love hearing very scary things because I am a fan of old horror films and books. So me and him both...more
Sara
This was a hilarious book full of creeps suspense and laugh out loud conclusion. I recommend this book to those who love scary stories.
Jennifer McGee
Stine has put together a fantastic collection of creepy tales. Like every good anthology should, it reminded me of and awakened me to the joy of authors I need to read more of in the future.

This book came out when I was a senior in high school, so at the time I would have been too cool to read anything I read as a CHILD. I'm happy to say I am no longer that lame!

Read it! If it's your thing, you will love it.
Amanda Pagano
This is a huge collection of scary stories from different authors that R. L. Stine picked himself. Always nice to take out and read when you want to get a minor scare. I actually met R. L. Stine when I bought this book and he's a really nice guy, but a little weird. He picks a good batch of stories for this book.
Danielle
This book is a collection of all the favorite scary stories by R.L. Stine. I enjoyed some of the short stories in this collection. Some of my favorites were "The Black Ferris" by Ray Bradbury and "The Judge's House" by Bram Stoker. I would recommend this book for children between the ages of 9 to 13 year olds.
Heather
Such an amazing collection of stories from an author I've loved the books of since I was a child. Scary, yet not so scary that someone who was slightly more than afraid of the dark as a child could read without a few nightmares per night. To this day R. L. Stine is one of my favorite authors.
Molly
This book was used for a two-month unit in my student teaching experience. The kids unanimously loved it (aside from one who couldn't due to religious convictions). There's something for everyone in here. Whether you enjoy genuinely scary, creepy-scary, or silly-scary, this book has you covered.
Amari
Oct 13, 2010 Amari added it
I think that Beware is a good book to read because it talks about a carinval and a little boy that comes around every month.When the carinval comes a little boy comes and when he's comes he always go to the house across the street.I would say that the book is interesting and recommend it.
Daddy Girl
I liked it a little but it was interesting. I like the part when these boy told the old lady that she had a grown man in her house.Tthat wanted to steel her money ,but she did't listen to them. She told them to GET OUT NOW AND DON'T COME BACK!!!!!!!!!.
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
I read this years ago, yet I still remember some of the stories. Being a huge fan of R.L. Stine, I had to know what stories scared him.

I'm not afraid to admit that his stories still scare me to this day.
Kathy
Not every one of these stories is a winner, but there are enough good ones to make this collection worthwhile. "The Black Ferris" by Ray Bradbury is my favorite of the lot.
Raequan
alot of stories dat u dont want read at nite if u one of those people dat get scared off of books which isnt me. i mean its pnly a book!
Janet
What a fun read!!! was going to do a story a day for Halloween but got caught up in the fun of chills and thrills.
Tamara the Librarian
Great scary selections-- a few would be perfect read alouds for older students.
Morgan Colleen
"The Black Ferris" by Ray Bradbury is my favorite
Catherine Rose Perschon
Catherine Rose Perschon marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Nicholas Mednik
Nicholas Mednik marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Tom Hilderbrand
Tom Hilderbrand marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Sasha Enge
Sasha Enge marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Nightmares: Tales to Make You Scream
  • Dinosaur Tales
  • More Bones
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • The Class Trip from the Black Lagoon
  • The Puzzling Puzzles: Bothersome Games Which Will Bother Some People (A Series of Unfortunate Events Activity Book)
  • The Borrowers Aloft: With the Short Tale Poor Stainless
  • La Parure
  • 100 Malicious Little Mysteries
  • Christopher Pike's Tales of Terror: Volume 2
  • Tales for the Midnight Hour
  • Euripides IV: Rhesus/The Suppliant Women/Orestes/Iphigenia in Aulis

R. L. Stine b...more
More about R.L. Stine...
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)