Start by marking “Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories” as Want to Read:
Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories

Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  503 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Dim the lights, lock the doors -- and BEWARE! It's time to read R.L. Stine's favorite scary stories.

Discover a ghastly secret in "The Judge's House," a terrifying tale of evil rats by Bram Stoker, the author of dracula. Laugh out loud at the scary surprises in poems by Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky. Visit an evil carnival in "The Black Ferris" by Ray Bradbury. (R.L.
Published July 27th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Beware!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beware!

Caitlin
A fun and (at times) creepy collection of author R.L. Stine's favorite scary stories. This short story compilation was overall enjoyable, and a few of the entries were downright spooky! I think R.L. Stine did a fantastic job of selecting a variety of different genres and formats for these horror stories: some are ghostly tales, some are classic suspense stories, some are science-fiction oriented, and some are just campy fun. Stine also includes poems, a comic strip, and a selection from a longer ...more
Mitchell
Oct 10, 2014 Mitchell rated it really liked it
Since this book was a collection of creepy short stories, don't expect to get majorly attached to any of the characters. Some of the stories are poems and some are more in depth; ones like The Judges House really do pull you into the story. (Though these are more creepy than scary, they are good for their reading level). The authors in here didn't use a ton of pulling in difficult words because of its reading level though. Over all this was a very good read and I thoroughly enjoyed all of the qu ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 02, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This is a very nice collection of spooky stories. Some are darker, some are slightly humorous, and some are downright odd. Here are a few classic scary stories alongside some of R. L. Stine's original work. Here are vignettes, short stories, poems, and even a comic book. The only part I didn't personally care for was Stine's rewriting of Stoker's "The Judge's House." Sure, I get that Stine was writing for children, and I know Stoker's wording can be difficult at times, but the dense writing of " ...more
Sara
Nov 29, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, young-adult
A good selection of horror stories I enjoyed reading them even if they were designed for teenagers :)
Lorene Evans
Mar 28, 2013 Lorene Evans rated it it was amazing
In case anyone was confused, STINE WRITES FOR CHILDREN! Even at 8, Fear Street wasn't that bad. I always thought Goosebumps was stupid, but I read Fear Street like a maniac. If you read this as a child, you had the best book of your life in your hands. I must have checked it out from the library at least 5 times. I used it for a book report in the fifth grade. Clearly, it's not scary for adults. I loved this book, and it's definitely great for late elementary age.
Matt Mazenauer
Aug 07, 2007 Matt Mazenauer rated it it was amazing
Don't let R.L. Stine scare you from this. There are a lot of great stories here, from little undiscovered treasures to Ray Bradbury, Bram Stoker, William Sleator, Roald Dahl, and even Shel Silverstein. Definately worth picking up.
Christine Verstraete
Oct 28, 2008 Christine Verstraete marked it as to-read
I have the hardcover. Thrilled to find it a flea market! Very nice book!
Cheryl
Nov 11, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scary, short-stories
Alisa read a funny, scary story from this collection at Halloween time.
Irene Lazlo
Dejando a un lado la portada de libro de serie b de los 90, la recopilación de relatos me ha gustado. Para empezar, no sabía que Ray Bradbury tenía relatos de terror y ha estado bien enterarme. Los poemas también me han gustado mucho, especialmente el de la incineración de Sam McGee. Valoro el eclecticismo y esta recopilación tiene un poco de todo: adaptaciones de relatos clásicos, una historieta de cómic, poemas, relatos del propio recopilador... además incluye un par de antiguos favoritos de u ...more
Raven
Sep 29, 2015 Raven rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. I completely adore R. L. Stine, I have always loved every single one of his books and have read them since I was eight years old. I very much enjoyed reading these stories hand picked by Stine, especially because most of them are by my favorite authors, including Shel Silverstein and Ray Bradbury.

I really enjoyed this book and I recommend it for anyone who adores creepy tales from age 7 to age 77.
Aaron
Nov 01, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-8-ir-books
Popular author R.L. Stine, makes a collection of his favorite horror stories. These stories inspired him to become a writer. They are all creepy classic tales that he has enjoyed over the years. He is showing why he has become a writer and why he loves these tales.

I also like horror books like R.L. Stine. They have inspired him to become a writer. He must love the idea of spooky tales like me. I love hearing very scary things because I am a fan of old horror films and books. So me and him both
Jackie
A collection of scary, short stories perfect for reading aloud in the dark. Some of the authors showcased are: Bradbury, McKissack, Prelutsky, Stine, Stoker, Sleator, Dahl, Schwartz, and Silverstein.
Franklyn Kornn
Collection of scary stories that would be great for a classroom library. these stories are very good. This would be a great book to read aloud to students around October.
Sara
Apr 25, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
This was a hilarious book full of creeps suspense and laugh out loud conclusion. I recommend this book to those who love scary stories.
May 03, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
At first I was bored; that first story just didn't do it for me. But as I read, the works got better.
Kathy
Nov 04, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Fun with a touch of creepy. This made for an entertaining Halloween read.
Trizshan
Jan 21, 2016 Trizshan rated it liked it
superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Keithconnor1
short stories
Autmn
Apr 13, 2015 Autmn marked it as to-read
good
Autumn
Sep 21, 2015 Autumn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Love
Stine has put together a fantastic collection of creepy tales. Like every good anthology should, it reminded me of and awakened me to the joy of authors I need to read more of in the future.

This book came out when I was a senior in high school, so at the time I would have been too cool to read anything I read as a CHILD. I'm happy to say I am no longer that lame!

Read it! If it's your thing, you will love it.
Jessica Timmons
Feb 24, 2015 Jessica Timmons rated it liked it
Definitely a walk though memory lane, when I was younger and addicted to the goosebump novels. If your a parent and reading this book skip the "Snow tiger" section because it will bother you.
Amanda Pagano
Jul 20, 2011 Amanda Pagano rated it really liked it
This is a huge collection of scary stories from different authors that R. L. Stine picked himself. Always nice to take out and read when you want to get a minor scare. I actually met R. L. Stine when I bought this book and he's a really nice guy, but a little weird. He picks a good batch of stories for this book.
Dani
Jan 07, 2012 Dani rated it liked it
This book is a collection of all the favorite scary stories by R.L. Stine. I enjoyed some of the short stories in this collection. Some of my favorites were "The Black Ferris" by Ray Bradbury and "The Judge's House" by Bram Stoker. I would recommend this book for children between the ages of 9 to 13 year olds.
Heather
Apr 13, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing collection of stories from an author I've loved the books of since I was a child. Scary, yet not so scary that someone who was slightly more than afraid of the dark as a child could read without a few nightmares per night. To this day R. L. Stine is one of my favorite authors.
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was used for a two-month unit in my student teaching experience. The kids unanimously loved it (aside from one who couldn't due to religious convictions). There's something for everyone in here. Whether you enjoy genuinely scary, creepy-scary, or silly-scary, this book has you covered.
Amari
Oct 13, 2010 Amari added it
I think that Beware is a good book to read because it talks about a carinval and a little boy that comes around every month.When the carinval comes a little boy comes and when he's comes he always go to the house across the street.I would say that the book is interesting and recommend it.
Daddy Girl
Sep 16, 2008 Daddy Girl rated it liked it
Shelves:
I liked it a little but it was interesting. I like the part when these boy told the old lady that she had a grown man in her house.Tthat wanted to steel her money ,but she did't listen to them. She told them to GET OUT NOW AND DON'T COME BACK!!!!!!!!!.
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Oct 31, 2012 ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this years ago, yet I still remember some of the stories. Being a huge fan of R.L. Stine, I had to know what stories scared him.

I'm not afraid to admit that his stories still scare me to this day.
Kathy
Not every one of these stories is a winner, but there are enough good ones to make this collection worthwhile. "The Black Ferris" by Ray Bradbury is my favorite of the lot.
  • Vampires
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • Scary Stories
  • Horrors! 365 Scary Stories
  • Dinosaur Tales
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • The Ribbajack: and Other Haunting Tales
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)
  • All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories
  • Creepy: A Collection of Scary Stories
  • Alcestis and Other Plays
  • The Lisa Book: Simpsons Library of Wisdom
  • National Geographic Animal Encyclopedia: 2,500 Animals with Photos, Maps, and More!
  • Salsa Stories (cuentos Con Sazon)
  • High Hopes for Addy