Start by marking “To Market, To Market” as Want to Read:
To Market, To Market

To Market, To Market

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  468 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
To market, to market, to buy a fat pig . . . What’s a poor shopper to do when her groceries have a mind of their own?The lively rhymes andinnovative artwork make for a perfect lap-sized board book. ...more
Published September 1st 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

Sara Andrews
Nov 05, 2014 Sara Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

“To Market, To Market,” is a brilliantly illustrated book that captures children’s attention immediately. The sing-song, rhyming pattern makes this story enjoyable to read and entertaining to listen to.

The story is about an old lady going to the market to buy different animals. As a reader, we are not exactly sure what she is going to do with all of these animals. It is inferred that she may possibly eat them, but the poor old lady can’t keep all of these animals under control under her roof. T
Allison
My favorite part is when the lamb ends up in the dishwasher.
Lesley
Jun 02, 2016 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-614
To Market, To Market is a funny parody of a traditional nursery rhyme. The book begins with the words of the traditional rhyme, but the illustrations immediately give the reader a clue about the wacky nature of the book. The first page shows an old woman dressed in many bright colors pushing a grocery cart that really can’t contain the fat, pink pig that she plans to purchase. After the first page, the words deviate from the traditional rhyme. The old lady returns to the market repeatedly, each ...more
Elizabeth
Decided I had to upgrade this one. It's grown on me, since we read it about 103 times a day. And it promotes a vegetarian lifestyle, which is always a good thing.
Ashley Cochran
This book is about a lady who goes to the store to buy some animals and goes home but every time she comes home, it’s a bigger and bigger disaster. She eventually takes them all to the grocery store with her and when they all go to the grocery store, they get all the food they need to make soup and they finally get to have a yummy lunch in a messy, messy house. I would use this book for entertainment and to show the students that when you work as a team, you accomplish more together than alone.
Katie
Feb 08, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everone
This book is one of my and my son's (3 years) favorite books. I was astonished to see that it is not on the list. The author is from Boulder, CO which is local for us and we grabbed it from the library. We have probably read it 50 times and checked it out from the library 2 times.

The illustrations are hilarious and make both of use laugh out loud every time! That coupled with the fun rhymes make this an absolutely enjoyable book. The story and pictures inspire imagination and expose a hilarious
Brittany
Anne Miranda's inventive twist on a classic rhyme tells what happens after a shopper goes "to market, to market, to buy a fat pig." Back home the pig promptly escapes, and soon the pig's in the kitchen, the lamb's on the bed, the cow's on the couch--and the rest of the animals are wreaking havoc throughout the house.

This was a funny book. I would use this book as more of an entertainment piece. I would probably have it as part of my library collection for students to read whenever they would lik
Sarah Ashburn
May 30, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language-play
I really enjoyed the phonemic sound use in this children's book. I think that the repetition of "to market to market" is good for young readers and the rhyming of the words can help them hear many sounds that make up many of the words in the english language. Since there are many words that share similar sounds with one another, it helps children to hear these sounds in different words.
Donna Davis
The old rhyme (for those who didn't grow up with it) went like this:

"To market, to market,
To buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again,
Jiggety-jig".

The rhyme has further verses involving other animals that we infer are to be eaten, or produce something we may eat. Miranda takes it to a whole new (and vegetarian) level, but you don't have to be a vegetarian to find this book hysterically funny.

There is not much text on each page, and so it is suited to toddlers, but it could also be used beneath a
Lauren Phillips
Sep 06, 2014 Lauren Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second favorite children's book of all time. It is silly, fun to read, and kids love the animal shenanigans, and it promotes a vegetarian lifestyle. What more could you ask for in a children's book?
Miss Pippi the Librarian
To Market, To Market to a buy a ... Author Anne Miranda takes readers on a jolly (yet frustrating) trip to the market. The classic song begins this tale, but it quickly runs out of hand. After numerous trips to the market, it's time to simplify life and make soup!

What a jolly, messy, rambunctious read! The gal goes to the market for meat, but ends up with live animals all over the house causing mayhem. At the end, every one (person and animals) works together to buy, cook, and eat soup. The illu
Alex
This story is about a lady who goes to the market to get food for her dinner, but all the animals she buys keep disappearing! This is a great book for kids because there is a lot of repetition and rhyming.
Sheeba Virani
A fun and hilarious way to teach children about cooking, healthy eating and rhyming words. The illustrations are amazing and very funny. The book is fun to read repeatedly in the class and to always have for children to look at in the library area.

Extension.
Once the book is read and benefits of home cooked meals with fresh produce have been discussed conduct a cooking session in the classroom with children. (Keep in mind allergies). The class could make soup as a group or make pancakes. Involve
Peacegal
Apr 21, 2012 Peacegal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humane-education
The old "to market, to market" nursery rhyme gets a delightful and animal-friendly update.

An older woman visits her local market and brings home a succession of farm animals--ranging from a goose to a cow. After the mischievous critters wreck havoc on her home, the woman returns to the market--to buy all of the ingredients for a hearty vegetable soup to prepare for herself and her new friends!

The old nursery rhyme upon which this is based is, of course, a story about buying live animals at an o
Orlando JBF
Feb 11, 2014 Orlando JBF rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most-read books in our house! We started with the lap size board book as an infant and graduated to the hardcover as a toddler. BEAUTIFULLY illustrated!
Anna
This is a whimsical poem about going to the market to make dinner. It could be used as an introductory lesson about poetry, cause and effect, or teach about sequencing.
Oct 19, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I like this nursery rhyme because I think it is easy to remember for children and a good poem to familiarize them with poetry. Furthermore, the plot is kind of funny.
Nicole Carlson
Sep 21, 2015 Nicole Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book puts a fun twist on the To Market, To Market nursery rhyme. I think the illustrations perfectly captured the story and the emotions the woman was feeling.
Ashlin
This story about a lady with a bunch of farm animals is great way to make learning poetry funny. It would also be good to introduce different farm animals.
Eric Shea
This book is a very good book for children. It describes a woman going to the market with all of her farm animals. It teaches on how to be mindful of others
Ann
Jan 31, 2016 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a great, entertaining and unusual take on a classic nursery rhyme. The illustrations are interesting, detailed and funny.
Savannah Parker
Apr 27, 2016 Savannah Parker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This was a different poetry book and I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as I enjoyed some of the other poetry books.
Josie Karash
Feb 11, 2014 Josie Karash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Love this book! It is probably the most read children's book in our house
Xaka
Oct 31, 2010 Xaka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Mother Goose tales and nursery rhymes when I was a kid and that love has never waned. This is a retelling of To Market To Market (To Buy A Fat Pig), but it is nothing like the original (in a good way).

The illustrations are FABULOUS! Black and white backgrounds with colored characters added in...it was a joy to simply look through this book.

The retelling is humorous. The book doesn't end the way you might expect, so if you like surprises, nursery rhymes, and good artwork, this book will
Jesse Albers
Apr 29, 2016 Jesse Albers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
All animals are disappearing one by one and taking over her house. She makes them soup
Marina
Apr 07, 2014 Marina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"To market, to market,
To buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again,
Jiggety-jig".
This is s fun and hysterically hilarious book that helps to teach children about cooking, healthy eating and rhyming words. The illustrations are amazing and very funny. The book is fun to read repeatedly in the class and to always have for children to look at in the library area. All the animals are live and they make mischief once home. I like how this book is related to the real life!
Denise
Mar 09, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good remix of one of my favorite nursery rhymes!
Anna
Nov 01, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This poetry book includes a funny story about someone who goes to the market to buy a pig that escapes onve they are home. It is easy to remeber the rhyme for kids.
Angie Quantrell
Feb 12, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great rhyme. Hysterical illustrations!
Claire
Mar 05, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the characters!
  • Mouse Mess
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • What Pet To Get?
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • Three Little Kittens
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • The Scarecrow's Hat
  • Down by the Station
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • Lunch
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!