Start by marking “To Market, To Market” as Want to Read:
To Market, To Market

To Market, To Market

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  65 reviews
To market, to market, to buy a fat pig . . . What’s a poor shopper to do when her groceries have a mind of their own?The lively rhymes andinnovative artwork make for a perfect lap-sized board book.
Published September 1st 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about To Market, To Market, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Market, To Market

Sara Andrews

“To Market, To Market,” is a brilliantly illustrated book that captures children’s attention immediately. The sing-song, rhyming pattern makes this story enjoyable to read and entertaining to listen to.

The story is about an old lady going to the market to buy different animals. As a reader, we are not exactly sure what she is going to do with all of these animals. It is inferred that she may possibly eat them, but the poor old lady can’t keep all of these animals under control under her roof. T
Elizabeth
Decided I had to upgrade this one. It's grown on me, since we read it about 103 times a day. And it promotes a vegetarian lifestyle, which is always a good thing.
Allison
My favorite part is when the lamb ends up in the dishwasher.
Donna
The old rhyme (for those who didn't grow up with it) went like this:

"To market, to market,
To buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again,
Jiggety-jig".

The rhyme has further verses involving other animals that we infer are to be eaten, or produce something we may eat. Miranda takes it to a whole new (and vegetarian) level, but you don't have to be a vegetarian to find this book hysterically funny.

There is not much text on each page, and so it is suited to toddlers, but it could also be used beneath a
Lauren Phillips
This is my second favorite children's book of all time. It is silly, fun to read, and kids love the animal shenanigans, and it promotes a vegetarian lifestyle. What more could you ask for in a children's book?
Miss Pippi the Librarian
To Market, To Market to a buy a ... Author Anne Miranda takes readers on a jolly (yet frustrating) trip to the market. The classic song begins this tale, but it quickly runs out of hand. After numerous trips to the market, it's time to simplify life and make soup!

What a jolly, messy, rambunctious read! The gal goes to the market for meat, but ends up with live animals all over the house causing mayhem. At the end, every one (person and animals) works together to buy, cook, and eat soup. The illu
Sheeba Virani
A fun and hilarious way to teach children about cooking, healthy eating and rhyming words. The illustrations are amazing and very funny. The book is fun to read repeatedly in the class and to always have for children to look at in the library area.

Extension.
Once the book is read and benefits of home cooked meals with fresh produce have been discussed conduct a cooking session in the classroom with children. (Keep in mind allergies). The class could make soup as a group or make pancakes. Involve
Peacegal
The old "to market, to market" nursery rhyme gets a delightful and animal-friendly update.

An older woman visits her local market and brings home a succession of farm animals--ranging from a goose to a cow. After the mischievous critters wreck havoc on her home, the woman returns to the market--to buy all of the ingredients for a hearty vegetable soup to prepare for herself and her new friends!

The old nursery rhyme upon which this is based is, of course, a story about buying live animals at an o
Orlando JBF
This is one of the most-read books in our house! We started with the lap size board book as an infant and graduated to the hardcover as a toddler. BEAUTIFULLY illustrated!
Josie Karash
Love this book! It is probably the most read children's book in our house
Xaka
I loved Mother Goose tales and nursery rhymes when I was a kid and that love has never waned. This is a retelling of To Market To Market (To Buy A Fat Pig), but it is nothing like the original (in a good way).

The illustrations are FABULOUS! Black and white backgrounds with colored characters added in...it was a joy to simply look through this book.

The retelling is humorous. The book doesn't end the way you might expect, so if you like surprises, nursery rhymes, and good artwork, this book will
Marina
"To market, to market,
To buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again,
Jiggety-jig".
This is s fun and hysterically hilarious book that helps to teach children about cooking, healthy eating and rhyming words. The illustrations are amazing and very funny. The book is fun to read repeatedly in the class and to always have for children to look at in the library area. All the animals are live and they make mischief once home. I like how this book is related to the real life!
Claire
Love the characters!
Asho
The illustrations in this book are really cool. The illustrator juxtaposed colorful drawings of the characters with black-and-white photo collages of the grocery store and kitchen, which makes for a neat effect. There is a ton to look at and talk about in these pages. I love the illustrations of the animals, especially of the pig. The story of animals running amuck is entertaining, too. I'll have to remember to check this one out again when my son is a bit older and can really appreciate it.
Sabrina
Opportunity cost, goods and services
Grades K-3

This book is a great story about opportunity cost and goods and services. The woman goes to the store to buy different animals at good prices but her opportunity cost was the peace she once had at home before she purchased all the animals. The animals are out of control and she now wishes she did not purchase all of them at the same time. Very entertaining story for younger children while teaching a lesson on opportunity cost.
Jasmine Robinson
This book is about a lady going shopping; the food she happens to buy are live animals. She tries to cook them, but it does not work out so she goes back to the market. This book is a fun and exciting way to show children the joys of cooking and how to cook. The fun part about the book and cooking is that the animals are alive and usually when you cook animals they are already dead. This book would be great for kindergarteners and helping them with their rhyming words.
Mckinley
Didn't work for me. It's never clear why the old woman is going to market.
Audrey Galiardi
I love the illustrations in this book! I love how Janet Stevens uses real pictures and hand drawn/illustrated pictures together! When I read this book I segment the sounds of the animals involved ex: to market to market to buy a fat p/i/g. I have the kids listen to the segmented sounds and practice blending them together. The have a blast doing it. Some are fun b/c they are challenging such as okra...most don't know what okra is!
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Great text, brilliant illustrations, lovely book! The text is short and attractive enough for the youngest babies while the illustrations contain enough content/visual information to delight older readers too. The style of the black and white photographs and brightly-colored, humourous characters on a white background is perfect for conveying the chaos as the images move around the page. Fabulous job!
Ina
For any food-based story time this book is a must-read. A wild variation on the nursery rhyme "To Market, To Market" this is one wild, hysterically funny version. All the animals are live and they make mischief once home. My story time audience LOVED this one and laughed out loud at the wonderful illustrations. Fun to read, with rhyming text, this is a real winner
Janet
Mother Goose rhyes are part or should be of a child's early learning experiences. This delightful take off on the Mother Goose rhyme "To Market, To Market" is a chaotic romp through the market purchasing animals and the ensuing chaos at home. Subperb illustrations--especially the woman with purple shoes and glasses as well as the duck on her head. This is tons of fun.
Amanda
Jun 08, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Megumi
Shelves: kid-s-books
Very cute! It starts with the common nursery rhyme, but devolves into a whole lot of animals and even more messiness. Much fun for mom, at least. My son liked it, asked for it again when I was done, so I'd say a winner. The tie in to cooking didn't hurt. Since I just read "Too Many Cooks", it has some similarities without the specific French cooking terms.
jacky
This was read at story time today. It was alright, but not exactly my cup of tea. (Natalie was too busy walking around to have an opinion). The chaos of the all the animals reminded me a little of The Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, which always gave me the creeps. The events were silly, but, I don't know, too realistic maybe? This one just didn't jive with me.
Hye Eun
I think this book would be good for sequencing events. Different animals appear so they can try to remember the order. The illustration is very colorful and funny. I think kids will really like such illustration. I was happy that the lady indeed get to make the soup at the end. I would recommend it to pre-k through first grade.
Chris Young
An elderly woman makes trips to the market to buy animals (presumably to eat) but upon returning each time finds that the animals have run amok in her absence. This rhyming, cumulative folktale would be a joy to read aloud and is only enhanced by Janet Stevens' creative integration of original artwork and photography.
Sarah M.
The best part of the book, for me, was the illustrations. By using the animals, the author wil catch the attention of the children. The behavior of the animals also could be similar to behavior of children. Elementary teachers could use the book for lessons on animals, markets, culture, and fantasy.
Dana
"To market, to market to buy a fat hen..." In this adaptation classic nursery rhyme, the hen is only the beginning and all sorts animals run amok in the kitchen with hilarious results. The combination of black and white and color illustrations are amazingly detailed, and honestly make the book.
Andie
A fun rhyming story about a woman who buys animals and they take over her house. With creative illustrations that are a combination of drawings and photos, I see something new every time Charlotte and I read the book. "I'm a shopping disgrace, everything's running all over the place!"
Hope
I really enjoy this classic tale of 'to market, to market to buy a fat pig, home again, home again, jiggity jig!' My aunt even says this rhyme every time she goes to the grocery store. This cute rhyming story makes it fun to guess what might happen on the next page.
Jacki
A woman goes to the market and buys animals one at a time. Every time she comes back, the animals she bought before are running a muck and tearing things apart. Finally, all of them go back to the market and get ingredients for vegetable soup.
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Mouse Mess
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • Three Little Kittens
  • Lunch
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
  • Down by the Station
  • Trashy Town
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Mouse's First Halloween
  • Clip-Clop
Monster Math Vroom, Chugga, Vroom-Vroom Who Said Boo? Beep! Beep! Pignic: An Alphabet Book in Rhyme