An Unwilling Conquest

An Unwilling Conquest (Regencies #7)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  906 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A successful horse breeder and self-proclaimed rake, Harry Lester samples women like wines. But after having his heart trampled upon by someone he actually loved, he has no intention of falling for a woman again, let alone be ensnared by the trap of marriage. Now, with a large inheritance to his name, Harry knows that he'd best start running from London's matchmaking mothe...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Harlequin (first published December 8th 1996)

Jean
I almost returned this book despite just downloading it from the library. I am very close to being burned out on Stephanie Laurens even though I do enjoy her books. However, this was a nice change. The story focused on the main characters with elements of intrigue on the periphery. This is by no means her more in-depth romantic suspense novel that she is usually known for. It's a nice light story with elements of intrigue but we know from the get-go who the bad guys are and in fact, I felt it ad...more
Kelly
At first I was 'unwilling' (Don't hate me) to read this novel based on the fact that I had only slightly enjoyed one of Laurens other novels before, but actually I really enjoyed 'The Unwilling Conquest'.
The characters were well-developed and I enjoyed their flirtationship and banter as much as their story. They were both sharp and witty as well as being traditionally romantic and flowery as most Regency novel characters are.

I only gave it three stars because while it was a good read it was en...more
Melissa Blanchard
I recommend - "An Unwilling Conquest Lester Family Saga, Book 3" by Stephanie Laurens audiobook narrated by Nellie Chaltant.

Sound quality was clear and easy listening. Nellie created distinct voices for all the characters.

Stephanie's dialog was flowing and fun weaving a story of a young widow traveling to investigate her inherited Inns. The widow is a strong woman that understands business but shows compassion as well.

I enjoyed the drama and the comedy in the story - well crafted. Just enough...more
Netha
buku ke 3 dari lester family saga
selain cynster series aq paling suka lester ini apalagi bukunya cuman 3 jadi ga pusing2 amat hunting novel2nya hehehehehe

bercerita ttg harry lester, putera ke 2 keluarga Lester & my fave.

Harry, saat hendak ke newsmarket menolong kereta yg mengalami kecelakaan.
didalamnya adl Mrs. Lucinda Babbacombe & puteri tirinya heather (xixixixixxii namanya lucu).
tidak menyetujui pilihan hotel keluarga babbacombe, harry mengantarkan mereka pada bibinya, Em, yg tinggal...more
Kirsten
This is another in the Lester Family series. Harry the third child is the third in the family to avow never to marry. Both Lenore and Jack have fallen in love unexpectedly and then married that leaves Harry and Gerald as the two single family members. Harry, a renown rake with a hurtful secret seems to all intents determined to carry on being just that sort of person in his relationships. However, from the moment Harry rescues the widow Mrs Lucinda Babbacombe from an overturned carriage fate app...more
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9780778302353

Genre? - Romance / Erotica / Regency

Characters? - Harry Lester / Lucinda Babbacombe / Gerald Lester / Philip, Baron Ruthven / Scrugthorpe

Setting? - England

Series? - Lester #3

Title? - All conquests in Laurens's books seem to be unwilling, although this was an early book, so the title wouldn't have seemed so generic.

Character Analysis? - I felt that less of a connection was made with both Harry and Lucinda than the characters in the previous books. I also wish that, instead of...more
Kathy
Manuela
I have a question. I am not very good in remembering titles of books and I noticed lately that I keep taking the same books off the shelves in my library, thinking I have a new (=one I haven't read yet) book in my hands and after the first sentence I know, I have read it before. It is a different cover but the characters and the story is familiar. How do I avoid that? Whitout starting to read (I wouldn't put it down then)...as you noticed I have a shelf re-read now.
But back to the book. I love S...more
Kath
Mills and Boon set in the Georgian period without the wit of Georgette Heyer.
Amira
Dodgey title I know, but surprisingly theres more plot and emotional description in this book than passion or romance, especially for this typical genre. I found it slow at times, the second half slowed down heaps. Harry's continued resistance and distance, who is actually the unwilling conquest and the storyline could have been much more stronger and emotive, it severely lacked tension especially in regards to the more action and romance parts.
Judith
I felt SL has a lot more to say than this book represents. I don't know what happened, but it lost it's momentum rather quickly. The first part was good but then something happened and then poof! The last two or three chapters were a blur because I turned the pages without reading until I came to a page that had something to add. No, this isn't a good one but I will continue to be a fan, and not judge her on one not-so-good book.
Rachel Rogers
Tedious. I kept wanting to put this down but had invested so much into it that I wanted to keep going. The middle of the book was a waste. The beginning and end saved it as much as could be for me. If it had stuck with either romance or suspense it would have been better - the mixture has been done much better by others. Harry's insistence to NOT tell Lucinda what was going on or even what had happened at the end irks me.
Antoinette the Book Junkie
Harry is a hot man but the story was not what I was expecting. Harry is in no mood to be tied and bound in matrimony. But timing is key to his down fall. Lucinda Babbacombe brings him closer to love than he wanted to be or expect to be. He works hard to avoid the lure of seduction that is woven deeply around Mrs. Babbacomb.
Mon
I enjoyed the book very much. A pity that so many writers lack the flair to write a romance novel without needing a side-plot of danger lurking from some external source. Does anyone still possess the skill to weave romance between the two main characters only? Please do let me know if you find such...
Kit
I listened to this romance and perhaps because it was audio I noticed just how many hours went by where Harry continued to stubbornly keep his stance against declaring his love. It went on for ever.... The story had a great frame and could have been much more fulfilling if SL hadn't drawn it out.
Ashley
I really I don't think he was that unwilling. Maybe a little reluctant at first but not unwilling. Overall I loved Lucinda for her courage and adventurous nature. And Harry was a little to stone like in the ton, but heart warming in private.
Tasneem
Laurens is such a strong voice in regency romance. Her heroines are all slightly unconventional, they have a real personality and voice as opposed to so many who just seem copies of themselves.
Mum
There was no spark for me! The dangers took forever to build. There was so much potential that never came came to fruition!I kept getting bored, which is unusual for me with Laurens's novels.
Barbara
Three and a half, with the extra half primarily for the heroine. Not typical. This series paints an early version of the Cynsters with the emphasis on family.
Hristina
Nothing special just an easy read to distract you.
Sheila
It was okay, but the last quarter of it was a looong setup for an action sequence and a proposal that then didn't seem strong enough for all the buildup.
Stephanie wagner
This was a cute story. It was kind of odd that it wasn't linked with any other book since that's how most of the books are.
Annette Meier
Lovely story - disappointing narrator (audio book). Hopefully narrators are better auditioned than this one was.
Sophia
It was pretty amusing, I liked how the main character knew she wanted Mr. Lester from the beginning.
Mandy
I think this one was my favorite out of the series. Characters well developed. The plot flowed smoothly.
Diana
A Regency romance one of her early series. A good book but not as good as her later series.
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: Lester Family
Category: Historical Romance
I love the new cover!~ Kim
Emily
Harry/Lucinda, adult romance, 18th century, rescue.
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Rough Around the Edges
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • A Reckless Beauty (Romney Marsh, #5)
  • Surprising Lord Jack (Duchess of Love, #2)
  • To Rescue A Rogue (Company of Rogues, #13)
  • No More Sweet Surrender
  • Paradise Valley
  • Cheyenne Amber
  • The Devil's Web (Web, #3)
  • A Dangerous Man (Women and Men, #2)
  • Dancing at Midnight (Splendid, #2)
  • The Handbook to Handling His Lordship (Scandalous Brides, #4)
  • The Lady Forfeits (Copeland Sisters, #2)
  • The Accidental Mistress (Mistress Trilogy, #2)
  • Barely A Bride (Free Fellows League, #1)
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Laurens and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Laurens and...more
More about Stephanie Laurens...
Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1) A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2) Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3) A Secret Love (Cynster, #5) A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)