Start by marking “The New Deputy in Town” as Want to Read:
The New Deputy in Town

The New Deputy in Town (Whitehorse Montana #2)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,450 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
THIS NEW DEPUTY DIDN'T EXPECT HIS FIRST CASE TO INVOLVE A WEDDING AND A FUNERAL

Deputy Sheriff Nick Rogers found out small-town life meant adjusting to two things--gossips and Laney Cavanaugh. And neither was much help in solving a bridal shower murder.

Some days it appeared like everyone in Whitehorse had a secret--including their new lawman. And falling for Laney wasn't a
Published April 1st 2013 by Harlequin Intrigue (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The New Deputy in Town, please sign up.

L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time) I just finished the book and I would say it's okay for teenagers. If you'd let your kid watch a Lifetime movie then you would allow them to read this…moreI just finished the book and I would say it's okay for teenagers. If you'd let your kid watch a Lifetime movie then you would allow them to read this book. (less)

Suzie O'Connell
This, for me, is an okay book. Not bad, not great. The characters are a little underdeveloped and I never really felt much for any of them. There are too many subplots to keep track of, some of which were tied up too quickly and too neatly, and much of the suspense felt heavy-handed. There are also several issues I had with the book, such as Nick's fear of water being suddenly introduced as a major factor only in the final chapters of the book. This can be attributed to the lack of character dev ...more
Dianne
May 01, 2013 Dianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that relies more on quantity than quality. There are so many plots and sub-plots happening that you may forget what this book is actually supposed to be about. Mainly it is about why is Deputy Sheriff Nick Rogers, hiding out in this small town? And I do mean small -- somewhere in the vicinity of 50 people - why are men being attacked nearly every Saturday night, and why did someone poison a guest at an engagement party?

If you like somewhat logical plots like I do, stories that mak
Talina Collier
Sep 30, 2012 Talina Collier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has me hooked on this author! I loved all the surprises and events all in this book. I am amazed how this author compiled the different situations into one huge story that just rocked! I was shocked at the intensity of each event as it was played out. I started reading this book and I could not stop. I sat for a couple of hours reading because I did not want to stop reading. I had to find out what was going to happen. This author ROCKS! I lOVE this book! I can't wait to read more from ...more
Marcella
This book is what they call a train wreck. I hardly know where to begin.
First of all, this is not a romance, but a whodunnit which is solved by a man and a woman. The first 3/4 of the book is devoted to a mystery.
Laney and Nick are busy solving it and I feel no sparks between them. Worse, all characters in this book, including the protagonists, are very cardboardy and seem to have one character trait at the most, almost making them caricatures.
The second plot line in the book consists of Nick mo
Donna Porter
Feb 26, 2013 Donna Porter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't read this book, because when it started I thought this was just a book about a murderer. I read the first 3 chapters and then I really got interested in the story line. I am so glad I continued on. It is a great story and it is very well written. I plan on reading a few more of B J Daniels books. thank you so much for a great story. I highly recommend it as a great read
Caffenero
Apr 02, 2013 Caffenero rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, romance, freebe
It was a freebe. And that's the good part. Because boiled fish is tastier.
Gayle Francis Moffet
The two-star review comes from a very specific set of moments in this book, and I'll get to that in a moment. For starters, however, I would like to say the following nice things about this book:

--The main romance is perfectly fine. It is an instant attraction between two good-looking people, which is exactly what I was expecting. They're actually pretty charming together and like each other.

--The mystery plot (this is a book from the "Intrigue" line)is pretty solid. I figured out two of the plo
Bookadventurer
A good, light romantic/mystery read. Enjoyable characters: Laci, Laney, and Deputy Nick Rogers set in Whitehorse, MO. There are several "mysteries" going at the same time, including a murder that takes place at Laney's cousin's engagment party. There aren't a lot of characters involved in this book, therefore you will probably have your suspicions as to who is doing what; however, it doesn't detract from the storyline. Only a few things bothered me: 1) It's not clear until the very end why Deput ...more
Susan
Oct 16, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin, 2014
This was a pretty good mystery with interesting characters. I am reading this series out of order so knew the happily ever after was coming, but it was fun to read just how the couple managed to meet and what peril was thrown into their pathway to get them together.

I think the author really gives a wonderful sense of place in these books and I look forward to reading the next one.
LaFleurBleue
Sep 13, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie, e-book
So many traumas and awful situations to deal with in this backwater town, that the writing qualities cannot make up for those and were not sufficient to make me enjoy the book.
I liked the personalities of both lead characters, the way several characters contributed to the investigations. All of that sounded quite realistic.
However all situations dealing with the villains, their motivation and traumas all coming from a past of child abuse were too much for me.
I'll not look forward another book fr
Jez
Nov 28, 2014 Jez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would say my true rating on this is 2.5 stars. I got about 60% into this book and still almost closed it and never looked back. I felt like thee connections made/mysteries solved came out of nowhere. That a story that was apparently this suspenseful should not have been solved so easily. I also felt like many of the characters just did not seem fleshed out. Or maybe just not realistic?? I felt like I didn't buy some of the bad guys. And the fact that this cop grew up and worked with the major ...more
Lou Grantt
I was looking for something light in the romance/mystery area and found it here. A few holes in the plot but I'm not going to over analyze a book that I picked up just to pass the time.
Teresa Richards
Jan 07, 2015 Teresa Richards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh! What a lot of suspense. Mystery, upon mystery, upon mystery. Nick Rogers is the Deputy Sheriff in Whitehorse, Montana. Laney Cavanaugh was born and raised there. During an engagement party, a murder is committed. While trying to solve the crime, Nick learns all about small town gossip and the skeletons in closets. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat, and guessing what will turn up next. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a good romantic suspense ...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Ooookkk… I'm not really sure how to describe this book.It was pretty weird. At first it was good with some build up, then FLAT!! So much more could have happened & so many things in the book had me asking… HUH?

Secondary character Maddie was the skittish 19 year old cousin engaged to a total ass who had a bitchy mother. Her story fell flat.

An old woman is poisoned & the punishment for it is unrealistic & stupid.

The story about the men being attacked by a bat… dropped flat.

The primar
Melissa Levine
Jul 26, 2015 Melissa Levine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: everyday-life
Why was Arlene's singles website ad thing on national tv? They seem to be living in a very underpopulated area, so why so much 'pop' factor? Wasn't Arlene looking for singles in the local area?

I also find it strange that when Keller locates Nick, it's actually through the internet rather on tv. And it's after I assume looking up Nick Rogers, because Keller knew he was such a fan of Roy Rogers. How long had been Nick been in Montana?

Violet...wanted to kill her mother because she didn't like her
Jo-Anne
The New Deputy in Town is an entertaining story about Nick Rogers who comes to work as Deputy Sheriff in the little town of Whitehorse. He is hiding and thinks Whitehorse is the perfect town because it is very small and virtually unnoticeable.

Laney Cavanaugh meets Nick when she visits her grandparents in Whitehorse with her sister Laci. While she is there her sister and cousin are thought to be involved some of the crimes happening in the town so she decides to stay to help prove their innocenc
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Dec 02, 2013 Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.. An engaging read..
The new deputy in town, Nick Rogers is efficient but at the same time a bit too elusive about his personal information. Running from his dangerous past which is right at his heels, he thought a small town was the answer to all his problems and Whitehorse seemed the perfect place to lay low but a small town is not always as boring and stilted as it looks. Whitehorse is right in the middle of mysterious attacks on men
every Saturday night, suspicious deaths, thefts that are unaccounted for and dark
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
Source: eARC for Honest Review from NetGalley from Harlequin Intrigue

This was part of a series but I read it as a stand alone. This book has a great combination of suspense, intrigue, mystery, angst, and love.

For Nick Rogers he is the new deputy in town. He has come to this small town to lay low but he finds himself in the middle of a big mess filled with murder and violence

For Laney Cavanaugh she was doing her yearly duty of visiting her grandparents with her sister Laci. While she is there her
Pat
Jan 21, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not quite sure why a couple of reviewers gave this book such low marks. I,too, got this book as a free download where it said on my kindle for months until yesterday when I decided to read it and get rid of it. Well, imagine my surprise to find out that this is a serious adventure book! We have someone attacking men behind the local bar with a baseball bat, a murder, a sheriff who is hiding out in a backwoods town, a bullying future mom-in-law, mild flirtation between the sheriff and a town visi ...more
Charline Bonham
Jun 10, 2014 Charline Bonham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western-romance
Read this book a second time and still enjoyed it. I often wait several months to a year to read a good book again. Nick is hiding out in Whitehorse, Montana as the Deputy Sheriff. Laney is just home for a 2 week vacation. Nick can't keep Laney from investigating a local murder so he tries to keep her close. While this helps keep her safe, she is becoming too distracting for his peace of mind. When Nick's picture gets broadcast on TV, his cover is blown. This puts him and Laney in danger. Can th ...more
Inky
Feb 20, 2014 Inky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think three stars is generous.

The is hard to rate. There is a lot to the story.. but for me it is not tied together as well as it could have been.. the flow is poor. Scenes and themes come out of left field a few times. There are details to parts that didn't need them, and others were seriously lacking. With a little more effort this could have been a really good story. Probably wont read again.
LAWonder10
Jun 27, 2013 LAWonder10 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The New Deputy in Town' is a great story about a man
forced to work in a new place far away from all that
he had ever known. He had no choice - his life depended on it.
Laney & her sister, Laci, was "home" for a visit with their
grandparents. They were the only family the girls had left.
There was instant "sparks' between Laney and the Sheriff from the
first time they saw each other. This attraction could not evolve
into anymore than just that - attraction. There could be serious
relationships deve
Cathy Beckett
Nick Rodgers is in trouble. He is really Homicide Detective Nicolas Giovanni and on the run from his crooked partner Zak Keller. Nick witnessed Zak's murder of two cops. Nick is in Whitehorse, Montana hiding and working as a deputy sheriff when he is photographed and his picture is put on the Internet. His picture is linked with Laney Cavanaugh. This picture not only blows Nick's cover but it also puts Laney in danger.
Cynthia
I enjoyed this book very much, it has a lot of twist and turns, not trash romance but more clean. It is hard to find a book where you aren't just reading mostly sex today. I just don't care for books where you have to read half the book on how they had sex......just me. It is not like that, in this book there is a sex but it doesn't have pages of pages about it.

Each time I thought I had it worked out I found I did not, I just do not know how to say this without giving the book away. I was corre
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
D.N.F.
This was a Kindle freebie and I am glad for it because I just couldn't finish the book. The writing was too disjointed; there were too many things going on and too many transitions between characters in a short period of time to get a feel for the main characters of the story. It read as a jumbled mess to me.
Claire
I got this free from Amzon.

This boom seems to be eternally free....*shrugs*
I gave its chance and while not horrible, it wasn't the best book I've ever read,
The characters were just okay. Not a whole lot of character development.
The book is based on a mystery that the new deputy in town is put to solve. He also has a secret of his own.
While I didn't figure out all the elements to the mystery, mostly because I think the author didn't give enough clues and information to the reader, I was able t
Darlene Torday
Jul 30, 2014 Darlene Torday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has it all. Murder, attempted murder, false identity, romance and more. Lots of fast paced action but plenty of time for romance and falling in love. Add a crazy hell bent on murder family and you get the idea. Once I started reading I couldn't stop until the last page. B.J. Daniels delivers a great story as usual.
L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time)
Jan 12, 2015 L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who watch Lifetime movies
Shelves: mystery
When your book is only around 250 pages and is simply chocked full of abuse, theft, blackmail, kidnapping, assault, and numerous murders and attempted murders, there's really not much room left to cram in any romance. I'm surprised this qualified to be a Harlequin.
Lynda
Jan 30, 2014 Lynda rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, romance
Great opening captured my interest and gave me foreknowledge of more dramatics to come. I liked the presentation of the two contrasting families, Maddie and her cousins extremely supportive and caring and Bo with his sisters and mother selfish and fragmented.

The story was intriguing with major emphasizes on the women in the town. Heartwarming moments with Prince, Chaz, and Nick. Dramatic pool scene had my heart pumping, I loved it. Exhilarating chapters nearing the end of the book culminated in
Judio
This was my first book by B. J. Daniels and the style took some getting used to. It seemed to be disjointed at first and was a little difficult to follow. However, the thriller-romance combination works and makes this an interesting book to read.
  • Cowboy Dad (The State of Parenthood #3)
  • Passion to Die For (Silhouette Romantic Suspense #1579)
  • Cowboy with a Cause (Cowboy Cafe #3)
  • Lawless (Aspen, #2)
  • Case File: Canyon Creek, Wyoming  (Cooper, #1)
  • Safe in His Arms (Manhunt, #1)
  • Bad Vibes (The Edge of Texas #3)
  • The Huntress
  • Texas Outlaw (Wild Texas Nights, #1)
  • Missing (Colby Agency, #43)
  • Hired by the Cowboy (Windover Ranch #1)
  • After The Ashes
  • Cowboy, Sing Me Home
  • Kansas City Christmas (The Precinct: Brotherhood of the Badge #4; The Precinct #10)
  • Hanchart Land
B.J. Daniels' life dream was to be a policewoman. After a career as an award-winning newspaper journalist, she wrote and sold 37 short stories before she finally wrote her first book. Since then she has won numerous awards including a career achievement award last year for romantic suspense.

She lives in Montana with her husband, Parker, two Springer Spaniels, Jem and Spot, and a temperamental tomc
More about B.J. Daniels...

Whitehorse Montana (7 books)
  • Secret of Deadman's Coulee (Whitehorse Montana, #1)
  • The Mystery Man of Whitehorse (Whitehorse Montana, #3)
  • Classified Christmas (Whitehorse Montana, #4)
  • Matchmaking with a Mission  (Whitehorse Montana, #5)
  • Second Chance Cowboy (Whitehorse Montana, #6)
  • Montana Royalty (Whitehorse Montana, #7)