Start by marking “Destiny Kills (Myth and Magic #1)” as Want to Read:
Destiny Kills (Myth and Magic #1)

Destiny Kills (Myth and Magic #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  3,855 ratings  ·  195 reviews
Desire calls. Danger Lurks.
But...

Published October 28th 2008 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Destiny Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destiny Kills

Moon Called by Patricia BriggsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDark Lover by J.R. WardDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
100 Books to Read in 2011
128th out of 602 books — 502 voters
Dragon Bound by Thea HarrisonDragon Actually by G.A. AikenWhat a Dragon Should Know by G.A. AikenAbout a Dragon by G.A. AikenThe Dragon Who Loved Me by G.A. Aiken
Best Dragon Shapeshifter Romance Novels
56th out of 189 books — 384 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie (jjmachshev)
I liked "Destiny Kills". If nothing else, it was nice to read about a female dragon with powers of her own!

Destiny is half air dragon and half water dragon. Of course, she doesn't know this when she awakens, in pain and bleeding, beside a dead man on the shore of an ocean, somewhere. She doesn't remember her name or the name of the dead man or how they got where they are. All she does know is that she's in trouble and there's something urgent she needs to do...if she could only remember what an
Cher
The prose itself is very trite, the sexual tension is just asserted rather than teased out, but the ideas of people who are also sea-dragons or air-dragons is fun and the story is intense and progressing at a quick pace, thus I am sticking with it.

Okay, I wanna cry, because this was such an amazing set-up, the halfling loch ness monster meets her halfling air-dragon mate & they must save her relatives from an evil research lab in Scotland. Beautiful premise. Why do I wanna cry? Because there
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Okay, so I’ve read 7 books by Keri Arthur and I can’t take it any more. This is one of her more recent books so I mistakenly thought the problems I experienced with the Damask Circle trilogy, published 10 years ago, wouldn’t be repeated here.

Destiny Kills had a premise with great promise and the power to be unforgettable but it was ruined by a number of re-occuring factors concerning Arthur’s books and writing style.

First off, sex. Nothing can get in the way of sex and the I-love-yous. Not even
Nichole (Dirrty H)
A woman wakes up on the beach, naked next to the body of an also naked dead man. She can't remember anything about who she is or how she got there. But she starts to notice strange things about herself, things she can do and she can't remember why.

This is the first chapter of Destiny Kills, and it's really good. If this had been what the whole book was about, it might have been a really great read. Unfortunately, Destiny remembers everything by the second chapter, and now it's just a typical "I
Jess
This book wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't as good as Arthur's Riley Jensen series. This was a story about a woman who was a sea dragon. She woke up at the beginning of the book having no knowledge of who she was, and she was lying next to a dead man. The story goes on with her trying to remember who she was, and she eventually remembers that she is a sea dragon and she was being held in a facility that was testing her. The man that was dead was one of her fellow escapees and her former ...more
Tammy
2.5 stars.
I'm not sure why this book bored me but it did. Keri Arthur is one of my favorite authors and I have never read a story by her I did not like. There was just something off about this for me. It was a much lighter side of Keri Arthur and not part of a series. There seems to be a more interesting story before this story. i.e. Destiny is part sea dragon and air dragon, her mother was kidnapped by scientists wanting to 'study' her and species like her. At 18, Destiny decides to rescue her
Barbara M.
I can't believe the low ratings for "Destiny Kills"! Seriously I'm shocked... although I shouldn't be, it seems my reviews go quite the oppisite of others in this genre of books. I've always liked Keri Authur's novels and this one (for me) was no different. She has a way of making the main man seem just out of this world, and the chemistry between Destiny and Trae(btw-isn't that name just sexy as heck?) is sizzling...Just to be fair I will say this was not her greatest work, and of course the pr ...more
Cindyg
Wow...Ms. Arthur never disappoints. I really enjoyed this book...what a great start to an awesome series.
I loved the whole sea dragons and fire dragons story line. Destiny and Trae are one hell of a couple. Strong, determined, committed and highly sensual beings.
It took no time to pull me in and grab hold. It's a wonderful story, with enough action and passion to hold my interest. It only took a day and a half to read it. Really looking forward to the next book; Mercy Burns.
If you loved Keri Art
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
A fabulous start to a new series. I couldn't stop reading. I can't wait to read more of the series. I loved the characters and the storyline. I highly recommend reading this book!
Karyn
Destiny is a half air dragon and half sea dragon who’s just escaped from a facility that’s been kidnapping and experimenting on dragons. The Air dragon she escaped with is dead and Destiny now meets his brother Trae – who she’s very attracted to.
She needs to go back and rescue her mother and the other kids at the facility - while evading the hunters after her, meet her dying father, and outsmart a sexy air-dragon with an agenda of his own.
This is a nice story. Its pretty simplistic, no great w
Amyiw
At the 1/2 way point I was thinking it was going to be a 4 star. It had some good fantasy involving different types of dragons and a romance that definitely had some chemistry.

Still it started getting too... unknown and haphazard in the middle and ending. They keep on being followed and found, and don't seem to have any understanding of what or who is after her. They take on the whole operation without knowing their capabilities.

So I ended up being a little bored with a bit of it because it was
April
As someone who is familiar with Arthur’s Riley Jenson Guardian novels, I was a little hesitant to even read this new series. Don’t get me wrong, in the beginning I loved the Riley Jenson series, it just seemed to get really, really predictable and lost my interest after Dangerous Games.

That is my excuse for having not read Destiny Kills before now, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It put an original twist on the whole Dragon genre. I can’t say that it is my favorite boo
Natasha
This was a great book by Keri Arthur. It's a different urban fantasy series, this one about dragons(shifters sort of) and it's a great adventure. Destiny is a sea dragon and Trae is an air dragon. It starts out with a mystery for Destiny right after she has escaped from a secret facility in Scotland where she was held captive for over a decade and was the subject of scientific experiments. I won't give any spoilers, but this book has plenty of action and a good amount of romance. I like the new ...more
B
So disappointing. I like Keri Arthur -- I enjoyed the Guardian series -- but this one was a big letdown. (Sorry Keri.) The romance element of it was just too contrived and not very believable for me. It happened too fast, maybe? (Or maybe that's just how things go for dragons?) I wanted to like it. And while I haven't read the Guardian books in awhile, it had the same feel from what I recall -- rescuing trapped people from the bad guys. (Am I remembering correctly?)

Or maybe I'm just spoiled from
Lois
Destiny Kills opens with a woman lying next to a dead man on a beach. She remembers things about him, but not about herself. Gradually details come back to her. Great opening.

Indeed,characters are interesting, the situation is interesting (she and the man escaped from a facility where dragons are being treated as science experiments), the love interest is good. The problem that made me bail on the book altogether is the repetition: she can't fall in love with this guy because she has this other
Cathy
It was good. Not so great that I'm dying to read the next one, not as god as her Riley/Guardian series, but good I really liked her creation of totally new supernatual creatures. As much as I enjoy my werewolves and vamps, this made a nice change. The story was ok, the characters are engaging. There was enough foreshadowing to make me curious about the next book, so I will check it out (literally, thanks library!) when the time comes.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Wow. I've had this book on my TBR for a couple of years at least. I am happy to say that this works as a stand alone too and could have read it sooner (since #2 didn't come out until 3 years after this one). Lots of things going on in this one. Wrapped up nicely. Recommended for something different (different breeds of dragon shifters).
Brandy *Ahviel*
This was such a great book. I really hope that Keri Arthur does contiune this series.
The story the plot and the characters were amazing. It was easy to follow and I could not put it down. Every page I was glued to it wanting and needing to find out more
Debi
I very seldom give a book 5 stars but this book was a page turning for me. It has that something special that just really grabbed me. I can't wait to get my hot little hands on the next one in the series..smiles.
If you want to read a Keri Arthur book, start with her original series. The original series (Embraced by Darkness, etc) has a lot more bite.
❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥
I really loved this book and I can't wait to read the next one.Destiny is the kind of person I would love to meet. Someone who cares about others.
Michele bookloverforever
interesting...but prefer the riley jenson series.
Vivian

Review to come.
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
"Destiny Kills" by Keri Arthur was an action-packed, romantic thrill-ride of a book detailing the tale of a female sea dragon on the run from the scientists and dragon hunters who held her captive for over eleven years as she tries to free the remaining captives still locked away inside the facility and also avenge the death of her lover who was also held captive in the same facility and helped her ultimately escape. Of course, with a name like Destiny, it seems she is "destined" for all sorts o ...more
Morgan
People are saying it isn't as good as her Riley series, but to be honest I think that one had a super promising start and kinda went downhill. I am hoping that this is not a similar situation, because I really do think that this is a promising start.

It's going in the same direction as the last book I finished with taking a new direction that isn't vampires/werewolves in paranormal romance. This isn't as far off the beaten path since it deals with dragons. (They are kinda second-tier along with f
Dorri
In Destiny Kills, Keri Arthur takes a detour into a more unexplored part of urban fantasy. A world where dragons are hidden among us.

Destiny McKree wakes up naked on a shore with the body of the man she knows to be her lover, Egan, lying dead beside her. She knows she has to wait for dawn in order to send him to the sky, but she doesn't know why. She can't remember her name, she doesn't know were she is and she can't shake the feeling that she must stay hidden, stay alive, keep running.

After da
Marcia
I was pretty disappointed with this book. I have no idea why I even considered Keri one of my favorite authors in the past ... these last 4 I've read by her have been lacking true substance.

The only reason this is getting a 3 instead of a 2 is because I will give it to her that she created some unique 'paranormal characters'. Other than that ... meh.

The book pretty much starts off how her Riley Jensen series ended ... No joke. Here we have a woman who can't remember who or what she is, but eve
Jenny Q
From the Back Cover:

When Destiny McCree wakes up beside a dead man on an Oregon beach, she knows only this: she has to keep moving, keep searching, and keep one step ahead of the forces that have been pursuing her from the heart of Scotland to this isolated spot. Why? The death of her lover has left her alone, with little memory of her past. A glimmering serpent-shaped ring is the one clue she has - and a bargaining chip in a most dangerous game.

Enter Trae Wilson, a master thief with a sexy, kno
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Destiny Kills has been languishing on my TBR list for a while despite my eagerness to read it because Keri Arthur is Australian (like me).
To be honest I wasn't sure I would be that interested in dragon shifters, but I quickly discovered I loved the author's unusual mythology and enjoyed the romance. It proved the perfect distraction as I waited in Emergency for my daughter to have her finger stitched up after a mishap.
I have a stronger preference for UF than PNR and even though the relationship
Megan Marie
Fantasy and Vampi...: BOM December 2012 Destiny Kills by Keri Arthur 10 99 Jan 08, 2013 04:45PM
  • Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire, #2)
  • On the Prowl (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #2)
  • Through the Veil (Veil, #1)
  • Scorched (The Dark Forgotten, #2)
  • Any Given Doomsday (Phoenix Chronicles, #1)
  • Wicked Enchantment (Dark Magick, #1)
  • The Black Dragon (Dragon #2)
  • My Wicked Enemy (My Immortals #1)
  • Night's Master (Children of The Night, #3)
  • Shadow of the Moon (Moon, #5)
  • Up In Smoke (Silver Dragons, #2)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • She's No Faerie Princess (The Others, #10)
  • One Bite Stand (Mackenzie Vampires, #4)
  • A Perfect Darkness (Offspring, #1)
  • Undone (Outcast Season, #1)
  • Shadow of the Vampire
  • The Smoke Thief (Drakon #1)
Keri Arthur, author of the New York Times bestselling Riley Jenson, Guardian series, has now written more than 25 books. She's received several nominations in the Best Contemporary Paranormal category of the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Awards, and recently won RT's Career Achievement Award for urban fantasy. She lives in Melbourne with her daughter and two crazy dogs
More about Keri Arthur...

Myth and Magic (2 books)
  • Mercy Burns (Myth and Magic, #2)
Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1) Dangerous Games (Riley Jenson Guardian #4) Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3) Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2) The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian #6)

“It hurt, remembering. Hurt because there was so much I'd done, so much I'd yet to do. In so many different ways, I now realized, not remembering had been a blessing. A brief respite in the twisted bloody mess that my life had become.
But at least I knew who I was.”
72 likes