Stealing Magic

Stealing Magic

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Two complete collections of Tanya Huff_s comical short stories featuring Magdelene (the world's most powerful and laziest wizard) and Terazin (a top-notch thief).
Published November 1st 2005 by Edge Publishing (first published September 28th 1999)

Paul
This book consists of 2 separate sets of fantasy stories, with different back-to-back covers (reminiscent of the old Ace Doubles).

On one side are stories of Terazin, top-notch thief. To join the Thieves' Guild, one does not simply knock on the front door and ask for an application. It is necessary to break into the building and make it to the inner sanctum deep underground, avoiding the traps set up along the way. Terazin does so, and is given an initiation test. She must bring the braided hair...more
M—
Eh. The stories in this book were amusing, but not much more than that. I had read several of them before in Huff's other collections, and I frankly liked them better then. This might have been because I'm not terribly enamored with either the Magdelene or Terazin characters and reading a whole book of their stories was a bit much for me.

I love Huff's tendency of prefacing the stories in her collections with information specific to each of them, and that tendency was regrettably absent here. Ins...more
Craig
This is a back-to-back collection of two series of fantasy stories in the format of the old Ace doubles. One features Magdelene, who happens to be the world's most powerful and laziest wizard, and the other concerns Terazin, who is the most accomplished thief. The stories are all well-crafted and lots of fun, the Magdelene stories being funnier and the Terazin being more realistic.
Cupof Tea
A collection of Tanya Huff's short stories with recurring characters.

Magdalene is the world's most powerful wizard. Demons cower and run from her. But really all she wants is to lie sunbathing in her garden and hook up with hunks. Many magical adventures are had, hilarious encounters and flying carpets! What more is needed?

Terazin is a thief, driven to join the Thieves Guild after a near-death experience. Too bad the Thieves Guild keeps taking jobs that are not in her best interest. Good thing s...more
Deleva
This book was recommended to me by a friend who had recommended several other things, all of which I've enjoyed. I only read the Magdalene stories. I'm sort of ADHD about what I enjoy and why, and so something to which I only give 3 stars could really go either way. Depends on what day you catch me.

This one caught me on a lenient day. :)

The storie are mostly fluff. Enjoyable, well written fluff, but fluff nonetheless. The main character is the most powerful wizard in the world, and honestly th...more
Anna
I'm not always a fan of anthologies, since I find it jarring to spend several pages with one character and then move on to a completely different universe a page or two later. Stealing Magic was a little easier on me that way, since, as the subtitle indicates, it's "The complete adventures of Magdelene and Terazin," so all 9 short stories are centred around two characters.

Magdelene's stories are among Huff's very first; in fact, "Third Time Lucky" was the first story she ever sold. Magdelene her...more
Simeonberesford
These S&S short stories are rather badly proof They are laid out like an Ace Double with stories about Magdelene at the front and you flick the book over to read the rather shorter collection of four Terazin Stories. Terazin is the best thief in Oreen, Which means she finds herself manouvered by the Guild into taking all the difficult job, The ones that are likely to involve magic.[return][return]Magdelene? She is the worlds most powerful wizard. Her interests are Hunky men and taking things...more
Elizabeth
This is actually two sets of short stories about two characters. One side is about the most powerful but laziest wizard in the world, flip the book over and the other side is about the world's greatest thief.

The side about the Wizard Magdelene I give 5 stars. It was hilarious and fun.

The side about the Thief Terizan I give 4 stars. Loved the first one where she was literally breaking in to the Thief's Guild, but I wasn't as interested in Thief's Guild politics. I thought the stories were intere...more
Melanti
There's something about Magdelene's cheerful lechery (and laziness) that I love.

This collection isn't big on things like coherent or intricate plots, or even making sense. It's more about the humorous situations and jokes.

I did enjoy the fun double edition format. One half of the book is about the wizard Magdelene, and you flip the book over to get to the other half about the thief Terazin. It's not something I'd want to see every day, but given the subject matter (two collections of related sto...more
Jeremy Preacher
Setting aside the irritatingly quirky format (this book contains two sets of unrelated stories, bound back-to-back and flipped upside down, which... no) this is a solid collection. I was slightly disappointed to figure out that the thief side consists of the four Terazin stories from Relative Magic, and one of the wizard stories I'd read... somewhere else, but the rest of the wizard set was charming and funny and entirely worthwhile.
Janine Pezzino
This is a book of short stories. I enjoyed both main characters and would like to see more of either. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because the last magdeline story really didn't fit with the rest of the book and wasn't as good as the rest of them. But overall I will probably read stories from it again.
Casey Wolf
I've read a little of Tanya Huff's Blood Ties series, and they are good, but the magical genre gives her a great forum to show off her humour and quick mind. These short stories are just yummy!
Susan
re-read Dec 2012
Til
Til marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
S.M.M. Lindström
S.M.M. Lindström marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Miriam
Miriam added it
Jun 26, 2014
Miriam
Miriam added it
Jun 26, 2014
Rhonda Smith
Rhonda Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Mikoto Kimura
Mikoto Kimura marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Beatrice
Beatrice marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Zils
Zils marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • Foggy Mountain Breakdown and Other Stories
  • The Stones Are Hatching
  • The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)
  • Bending the Landscape: Fantasy
  • The Painter Knight (Branion, #2)
  • The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory
  • A Red Heart of Memories (Red Heart of Memories, #1)
  • Golden Fleece
  • Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #4)
  • Sorcerer's Legacy
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • The Labyrinth
  • Daw 30th Anniversary Fantasy
  • Broken Wings
  • An Exception (Jewel Bonds, #3)
  • The Seven Towers
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s...more
More about Tanya Huff...
Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1) Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2) Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3) Valor's Choice (Confederation, #1) Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles, #1)