Start by marking “Smoke and Mirrors (Tony Foster #2)” as Want to Read:
Smoke and Mirrors (Tony Foster #2)

Smoke and Mirrors (Tony Foster #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,707 ratings  ·  58 reviews
When Tony and his TV crew find themselves shooting in an actual haunted house, all hell threatens to break loose. Locked into the house overnight, can Tony keep the diabolical controling spirit from turning the crew against one another in an orgy of blood?
Published June 6th 2006 by DAW (first published June 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke and Mirrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke and Mirrors

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTraitor's Moon by Lynn FlewellingMagic's Price by Mercedes Lackey
Best Fantasy Books with Gay Main Characters
42nd out of 489 books — 1,097 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
334th out of 2,419 books — 8,971 voters

More lists with this book...

Punk
Supernatural/Mystery. The crew of Darkest Night is filming a haunted house episode in a house that, surprise, turns out to be haunted and Tony has to save them all with his new beginning-level wizarding powers! This is very, very good. I tore through it. Huff seems to have resolved her POV issues and the story itself has lots of suspense and gore and creepiness. Tony's growing up some, and it's awesome that he's wizardly. The unresolved sexual tension between him and Lee is actually sexy this ti ...more
Rachel Thompson
Tony Foster works as a production assistant on the Canadian television show Darkest Night, a show about a vampire detective. Last spring Tony discovered he was an actual wizard as he defeated a being called the Shadowlord and his minions. Things have been quiet on the set since, until they go on location to shoot an episode featuring a haunted house. But no one realized the house really is haunted until it's too late. Now the cast and crew must somehow survive the night because the house isn't w ...more
Liz
I thoroughly enjoyed this book & was surprised to find I had trouble putting it down [this lead to some very bleary-eyed work days]. Fans of the Blood series should enjoy it, but I strongly recommend reading the first book in the series, Smoke & Shadows, as there's little time spent on filling in the back story, and you may find yourself a little lost otherwise. I had to look up some of what happened previously to understand some of Tony's references. One other criticism is I would have ...more
Angela
After chugging through Phaedra Weldon's Wraith, I was definitely in the mood to go right back to good ol' Tanya Huff, so I went for Smoke and Mirrors, Book 2 of her Tony Foster series.

And really, Tanya Huff just continues to solidly entertain. It's less rare than it used to be to have an urban fantasy series with a male protagonist, but it's still very, very rare to have an urban fantasy series with a queer protagonist. So just being able to read one is cool.

It helps of course that the Tony Fost
Katie M.
Nov 28, 2008 Katie M. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ghost fans, buffy fans, vampire fans, canadians
Recommended to Katie by: my dad
Shelves: vampires
Smoke and Mirrors is an excellent ghost story to be read in twenty-four hours, not just because it's not exactly dense but because the plot will make it very difficult to put the book down until you're done. A cheesy vampire detective TV show is using a big, isolated, abandoned mansion as the perfect location for a haunted house episode. Problem is, the house really is haunted. Oops. A number of the cast and crew are trapped inside when the house seals itself at sunset. Many cliches are in use, ...more
Jammies
Mar 21, 2009 Jammies rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of horror and humor with a strong stomach
Shelves: vampires
While I did enjoy the Vicky Nelson series and the first "Smoke and..." book with Tony Foster as the main character, I was surprised at just how blown away I was by this book. The characters are well-drawn, quirky enough to be engaging but not so quirky as to make relating to them difficult. The plot is an amazing new take on the old "group of people trying to survive in a haunted house until sunrise" and the twists and turns kept me turning pages until late in the night. In fact, the television ...more
Christine (AR)
Tony and the crew of Darkest Night film in an actual haunted house and get trapped inside overnight.

Loved it, loved it, loved it! Scary haunted house, fun banter and bitching between the TV crew, and wow -- keeping dialogue and POV clear between eighteen people trapped in a house, not to mention the ghosts? Huff pulled that one off very nicely. Not a lot of Henry, but baby-wizard Tony is adorable and I think I love him the best anyway. I thought his UST with Lee in this was perfect. I hope Huff
mlady_rebecca
I liked seeing the growing relationships among the crew, but the creepy factor was much higher with this book. I don't usually get nightmares from sf/fantasy books, but this was edging into horror and I was wondering if it was wise to read it before bed.

Basically the cast and crew gets trapped in a haunted house at night and the ghosts of those who died come out to play.

If you're reading these books simply for Henry, you'll probably be disappointed in how little he's in this one. After all, he's
Kathy
Speedtribes
I picked this book up first in the library because the first vol had been taken out and third had yet to come out. It’s about a young man from one of her previous series -- Tony, a gay runaway that had been picked up and taken care of by the vampire Henry-- he is out and about on his own, deliberately trying to build his own life and identity. Determined to hold his own job. He ends up at a production company for some B-rated TV series and ends up crushing madly one of the stars.

While I found so
amireal
The Second in the Smoke series. This one goes a little darker, it still maintains the lighter playful tone, but the supernatural creepy it features is-- extra creepy.

Huff plays with Time and Ghosts and actually takes a trope you see more often in science fiction and makes it work. Or rather, it feels more like the science fiction version than the fantasy version. It's creepy, without an over abundance of gore (though there is some!) and the ultimate cause wasn't easily guessed by me.

Through it a
Nicole
Cliche anyone? But you know it works. You care about the characters, you believe the unbelievable, and at the end you want more. But I don't want to work for a tv crew.
Janna
I looooved this book! I love the supernatural mystery/horror thing. It was so creepy, and I had no idea for most of the book how they would resolve it. It's a little sad that we didn't actually get to see what happened with Tony and Zev between the last book and this one, but the UST between Tony and Lee was awesome (much better than in the last book). I didn't think I would like Henry playing such a background role, but it sort of allowed Tony to become a strong, powerful character in his own r ...more
Olivia
Pure genius! I could not put this second book in the Shadow series down. I seriously read like 200 pages in a single day. I wanted to stay up all night to finish it but my body would have protested the lack of sleep during class today.

Every death was more gruesome than the next and while I'm not a big fan I couldn't stop reading. This book truly built on Tony's character and I'm loving where Huff is taking him. I can't believe there's only one more book left in this series.

And it's official, I
June
Jun 20, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Vampire, wizard and tv vampire detective fans
Recommended to June by: Craig
Shelves: adult, wizards, vampires
The house chosen for the shooting of "Darkest Night" is really haunted.
Christine
Another solid read, with plenty more tension and even a bit of Tanya torturing Tony. I enjoyed this, of course. I was disappointed how long it took before some of the tricks Tony picked up in the last book were used, and especially sad that none of his DARKER abilities came into play - such as what happened at precisely the end of SHADOWS. But oh well. Perhaps it will all culminate in the final piece of the trilogy. Not to mention the (view spoiler) ...more
Rosabelle Purnama
This book is the second book in the Tony Foster series. The story deals with the Darkest Night TV series shooting at the Caulfied House, which is actually haunted. So Tony and the crew was trapped in the house during filming and has to figure out how to get out of the house safely. I have to admit that I did enjoy this book better than the first one. The character is more developed and this one I think has more action and mystery to it. It is also more fast paced and interesting. I hope the thir ...more
duck reads
My official beach reading selection for my trip to Mallorca. Tanya Huff's style remains engrossing and entertaining, though her peculiarities are becoming repetitive. (If I never read about anyone being almost able to see someone considering something ever again it will be too soon. Also, what's with the incest between mystical siblings?) This time there's a haunted house and secrets are revealed! Totally worth the $4 I paid at the used bookstore for it, and I'll pick up the next one whenever I ...more
Jeremy Preacher
This is a straight-up (no pun intended) haunted house story. As such, I actually didn't love it as much as I expected - I like Tony Foster, and I did enjoy watching him grapple with his own nascent powers, but the whole ghosties and ghoulies and evil things locked in the basement just doesn't do much for me. Part of the reason may be that the redshirts never really won me over, and I knew that obviously Tony himself was in no danger. Maybe if I cared more about his maybe-bi-maybe-not crush...
Arthur
An action packed story. Very entertaining. Filled with illusions of an old haunt. I at first found it humorous and while challenged by the entire going on within the house once it selected its victims. A devastating thing produces by its own powers created by its previous owner a house is controlling a massive field of energy that controls mystic occurrences in the house. I took this book out from the library. And I find this kind of reading interesting
Maggie
Jun 18, 2009 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Second in the Smoke series. Part of the crew of Darkest Night, the tv show Tony works on, is trapped in a haunted house and it is up to Tony to use his fledgling wizarding skills to save them. Huff really is a master at snappy dialogue and make fantastic use of some spectacularly bad puns (though I swear I never used the word 'dude' until I started reading this series).
Julia Phillips
The second in the brilliant series focusing upon the exploits of Tony Foster. There is a great supporting cast of characters, fantastic plot, and genuinely funny moments. Tony is one smart-assed guy. As with the other two books some of the humour is peculiarly and wonderfully Canadian. It has me laughing out loud at times and smirking quietly at some of the subtleties.
Megan
The sequel to Smoke and Shadows. It's just as funny as the first, and yet also darker (or just creepier, maybe). I really enjoyed it, and even though I get freaked out very easily (I had to ask my mother to stay awake late one night so I could finish it without having to be alone) it still had me laughing. If you enjoyed the first one, I certainly recommend the sequel.
GrainneD
Tony Foster and the television crew are back, this time filming overnight in a haunted house(view spoiler)

Great entertaining characters, the whole cast trapped in the haunted house and more unresolved sexual tension between Tony and Lee.

This is my favorite Tony Foster story. And I love, love, love CB's kids.
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
Apparently, women are horses who are constantly "tossing their heads" and "flaring their nostrils." Apparently, chemistry, conversation, or any interaction at all, is not necessary to build a relationship. Apparently, when people die, no one cares. Apparently, people become mean, uncaring bastards ready to commit murder under the mildest of strains.
kvon
I liked this one more than I remember it's prequel. Maybe less buildup, more creepy? Ghosts and a haunted house, but not too bad to read alone in the dark. How someone can call themselves a wizard with only one spell is a bit much. The problem was solved in stages, by teamwork. Lots of interpersonal dynamics. Read in two days (while sick at home).
Mary
Tony and the gang from the TV crew are taping at a "haunted" house - that turns out to be really haunted. Tony can see and hear the ghosts as can the boss' 8 yo daughter. And 13 people are trapped in the house - which wants to kill them all.

Henry is around, but trapped outside. So this is really Tony pretty much on his own and in charge.
Ward Bond
SUMMARY:
In the sequel to Smoke and Shadows, Tony Foster, a production assistant on the syndicated TV series Darkest Night, is forced to draw on his magical ability to see and hear the dead when the show goes on location to shoot an episode at Caulfield House, an actual haunted house filled with dark forces that can destroy the living.
Carole
Tony is a compelling protagonist who grows in an interesting way over the course of the "Smoke" books, and is by far my favorite openly gay protagonist in any SF series.

"Smoke and Mirrors" is not quite as good as "Smoke and Shadows", but taken as a trilogy, the three "Smoke" books are superior even to the "Blood" books.
Jane
In the second book of this spinoff series from Tanya's Vicky Nelson Vampire novels, Tony Foster and the crew of a Canadian made vampire series rent a "haunted mansion" to film their latest episode. Only problem is, this mansion really is haunted, and the not so dearly departed original owner has plans for the crew.
  • Hemovore
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • Turnskin
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner, #3)
  • Lifeblood (Vampire Files, #2)
  • Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Hell Cop 2
  • Kirith Kirin
  • Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...
Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1) Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2) Valor's Choice (Confederation #1) Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3) Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles #1)