Start by marking “Smoke and Mirrors (Tony Foster #2)” as Want to Read:
Smoke and Mirrors (Tony Foster #2)

Smoke and Mirrors (Tony Foster #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  2,031 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
When Tony and his TV crew find themselves shooting in an actual haunted house, all hell threatens to break loose. Locked into the house overnight, can Tony keep the diabolical controling spirit from turning the crew against one another in an orgy of blood?
Published June 6th 2006 by DAW (first published June 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke and Mirrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke and Mirrors

Punk
Jul 22, 2009 Punk rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, vampires, fantasy
Supernatural/Mystery. The crew of Darkest Night is filming a haunted house episode in a house that, surprise, turns out to be haunted and Tony has to save them all with his new beginning-level wizarding powers! This is very, very good. I tore through it. Huff seems to have resolved her POV issues and the story itself has lots of suspense and gore and creepiness. Tony's growing up some, and it's awesome that he's wizardly. The unresolved sexual tension between him and Lee is actually sexy this ti ...more
Rachel Thompson
Jan 15, 2009 Rachel Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Tony Foster works as a production assistant on the Canadian television show Darkest Night, a show about a vampire detective. Last spring Tony discovered he was an actual wizard as he defeated a being called the Shadowlord and his minions. Things have been quiet on the set since, until they go on location to shoot an episode featuring a haunted house. But no one realized the house really is haunted until it's too late. Now the cast and crew must somehow survive the night because the house isn't w ...more
Liz
Dec 16, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book & was surprised to find I had trouble putting it down [this lead to some very bleary-eyed work days]. Fans of the Blood series should enjoy it, but I strongly recommend reading the first book in the series, Smoke & Shadows, as there's little time spent on filling in the back story, and you may find yourself a little lost otherwise. I had to look up some of what happened previously to understand some of Tony's references. One other criticism is I would have ...more
Olivia
Oct 23, 2008 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Pure genius! I could not put this second book in the Shadow series down. I seriously read like 200 pages in a single day. I wanted to stay up all night to finish it but my body would have protested the lack of sleep during class today.

Every death was more gruesome than the next and while I'm not a big fan I couldn't stop reading. This book truly built on Tony's character and I'm loving where Huff is taking him. I can't believe there's only one more book left in this series.

And it's official, I
Angela
Jul 16, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
After chugging through Phaedra Weldon's Wraith, I was definitely in the mood to go right back to good ol' Tanya Huff, so I went for Smoke and Mirrors, Book 2 of her Tony Foster series.

And really, Tanya Huff just continues to solidly entertain. It's less rare than it used to be to have an urban fantasy series with a male protagonist, but it's still very, very rare to have an urban fantasy series with a queer protagonist. So just being able to read one is cool.

It helps of course that the Tony Fost
Katie M.
Nov 28, 2008 Katie M. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ghost fans, buffy fans, vampire fans, canadians
Recommended to Katie by: my dad
Shelves: vampires
Smoke and Mirrors is an excellent ghost story to be read in twenty-four hours, not just because it's not exactly dense but because the plot will make it very difficult to put the book down until you're done. A cheesy vampire detective TV show is using a big, isolated, abandoned mansion as the perfect location for a haunted house episode. Problem is, the house really is haunted. Oops. A number of the cast and crew are trapped inside when the house seals itself at sunset. Many cliches are in use, ...more
Jammies
Mar 21, 2009 Jammies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of horror and humor with a strong stomach
Shelves: vampires
While I did enjoy the Vicky Nelson series and the first "Smoke and..." book with Tony Foster as the main character, I was surprised at just how blown away I was by this book. The characters are well-drawn, quirky enough to be engaging but not so quirky as to make relating to them difficult. The plot is an amazing new take on the old "group of people trying to survive in a haunted house until sunrise" and the twists and turns kept me turning pages until late in the night. In fact, the television ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Better than the first in the series, itching to read the third now. Better book than the first. Liking character of Tony more. Love Lee and the surprising situational conflict arising. Henry was in book very little and takes a long time to appear. Clear Huff wants reader to be clear this is a Tony show, but a character as interesting as Henry can't disappear too long in the background without harming the book. Villain was awesome in a gory, almost cheesy but not cheesy way. Showdown fight worthy ...more
Christine (AR)
Jul 22, 2009 Christine (AR) rated it really liked it
Tony and the crew of Darkest Night film in an actual haunted house and get trapped inside overnight.

Loved it, loved it, loved it! Scary haunted house, fun banter and bitching between the TV crew, and wow -- keeping dialogue and POV clear between eighteen people trapped in a house, not to mention the ghosts? Huff pulled that one off very nicely. Not a lot of Henry, but baby-wizard Tony is adorable and I think I love him the best anyway. I thought his UST with Lee in this was perfect. I hope Huff
Kathy Davie
Sep 02, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
It's actually the Smoke Trilogy, 2.

I AM enjoying this series…irreverent, topical, and with an interesting insight into producing films. Great cast of characters.
Kerry
Jun 08, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 6, 2007
While a fairly solid read, this isn't one of Huff's best efforts.

There's a good story idea here, but I felt that Huff had taken enough story for a short story or possibly a novella and then forced it to last through a full length novel. In my view the padding shows and the book suffers for it.

Tony is continuing to make a place for himself in the life he's chosen, even if he's still considered one of the more lowly in the pecking order of the production crew. No-one there but Tony remembers the e
Vanessa
Jul 08, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
I know it's really unusual, but in this case the second book of a trilogy is my favorite. I love all three of them very much, but if I had to rank them, this one would come out on top every single time.

Imagine: You're stuck in a haunted house. With your colleagues. Including the one you have a big crush on. Nightmares! At least your boss is not there, right? But his two young daughters are and you know he'll murder you at least twice if they get hurt. Plus, you're the only person who actually ca
Kathy
May 14, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
Speedtribes
Sep 24, 2007 Speedtribes rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I picked this book up first in the library because the first vol had been taken out and third had yet to come out. It’s about a young man from one of her previous series -- Tony, a gay runaway that had been picked up and taken care of by the vampire Henry-- he is out and about on his own, deliberately trying to build his own life and identity. Determined to hold his own job. He ends up at a production company for some B-rated TV series and ends up crushing madly one of the stars.

While I found so
mlady_rebecca
I liked seeing the growing relationships among the crew, but the creepy factor was much higher with this book. I don't usually get nightmares from sf/fantasy books, but this was edging into horror and I was wondering if it was wise to read it before bed.

Basically the cast and crew gets trapped in a haunted house at night and the ghosts of those who died come out to play.

If you're reading these books simply for Henry, you'll probably be disappointed in how little he's in this one. After all, he's
amireal
Jun 04, 2007 amireal rated it really liked it
The Second in the Smoke series. This one goes a little darker, it still maintains the lighter playful tone, but the supernatural creepy it features is-- extra creepy.

Huff plays with Time and Ghosts and actually takes a trope you see more often in science fiction and makes it work. Or rather, it feels more like the science fiction version than the fantasy version. It's creepy, without an over abundance of gore (though there is some!) and the ultimate cause wasn't easily guessed by me.

Through it a
Janna
Feb 20, 2012 Janna rated it really liked it
I looooved this book! I love the supernatural mystery/horror thing. It was so creepy, and I had no idea for most of the book how they would resolve it. It's a little sad that we didn't actually get to see what happened with Tony and Zev between the last book and this one, but the UST between Tony and Lee was awesome (much better than in the last book). I didn't think I would like Henry playing such a background role, but it sort of allowed Tony to become a strong, powerful character in his own r ...more
Rosabelle Purnama
This book is the second book in the Tony Foster series. The story deals with the Darkest Night TV series shooting at the Caulfied House, which is actually haunted. So Tony and the crew was trapped in the house during filming and has to figure out how to get out of the house safely. I have to admit that I did enjoy this book better than the first one. The character is more developed and this one I think has more action and mystery to it. It is also more fast paced and interesting. I hope the thir ...more
duck reads
Mar 07, 2014 duck reads rated it liked it
Shelves: qc, qw, ww, canw, canc, cans, sff, fiction
My official beach reading selection for my trip to Mallorca. Tanya Huff's style remains engrossing and entertaining, though her peculiarities are becoming repetitive. (If I never read about anyone being almost able to see someone considering something ever again it will be too soon. Also, what's with the incest between mystical siblings?) This time there's a haunted house and secrets are revealed! Totally worth the $4 I paid at the used bookstore for it, and I'll pick up the next one whenever I ...more
Jeremy Preacher
This is a straight-up (no pun intended) haunted house story. As such, I actually didn't love it as much as I expected - I like Tony Foster, and I did enjoy watching him grapple with his own nascent powers, but the whole ghosties and ghoulies and evil things locked in the basement just doesn't do much for me. Part of the reason may be that the redshirts never really won me over, and I knew that obviously Tony himself was in no danger. Maybe if I cared more about his maybe-bi-maybe-not crush...
Christine
Dec 29, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Another solid read, with plenty more tension and even a bit of Tanya torturing Tony. I enjoyed this, of course. I was disappointed how long it took before some of the tricks Tony picked up in the last book were used, and especially sad that none of his DARKER abilities came into play - such as what happened at precisely the end of SHADOWS. But oh well. Perhaps it will all culminate in the final piece of the trilogy. Not to mention the (view spoiler) ...more
Arthur
Aug 26, 2008 Arthur rated it it was amazing
An action packed story. Very entertaining. Filled with illusions of an old haunt. I at first found it humorous and while challenged by the entire going on within the house once it selected its victims. A devastating thing produces by its own powers created by its previous owner a house is controlling a massive field of energy that controls mystic occurrences in the house. I took this book out from the library. And I find this kind of reading interesting
Shae
Feb 16, 2016 Shae rated it really liked it
This book was terrifying in a good way, but also in a "there's no way I'm putting this book down and trying to sleep until the bad thing is dead and I have my happy ending" kind of way. Definitely not what I was expecting but that made it that much worse/better. I definitely recommend, however do yourself a favor and read the other series/books first. Makes this one amazing. Also, read in daylight.
Julia Phillips
Mar 16, 2011 Julia Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second in the brilliant series focusing upon the exploits of Tony Foster. There is a great supporting cast of characters, fantastic plot, and genuinely funny moments. Tony is one smart-assed guy. As with the other two books some of the humour is peculiarly and wonderfully Canadian. It has me laughing out loud at times and smirking quietly at some of the subtleties.
Mary
Jun 10, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Tony and the gang from the TV crew are taping at a "haunted" house - that turns out to be really haunted. Tony can see and hear the ghosts as can the boss' 8 yo daughter. And 13 people are trapped in the house - which wants to kill them all.

Henry is around, but trapped outside. So this is really Tony pretty much on his own and in charge.
Jane
Jun 19, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it
In the second book of this spinoff series from Tanya's Vicky Nelson Vampire novels, Tony Foster and the crew of a Canadian made vampire series rent a "haunted mansion" to film their latest episode. Only problem is, this mansion really is haunted, and the not so dearly departed original owner has plans for the crew.
GrainneD
Aug 10, 2013 GrainneD rated it it was amazing
Tony Foster and the television crew are back, this time filming overnight in a haunted house(view spoiler)

Great entertaining characters, the whole cast trapped in the haunted house and more unresolved sexual tension between Tony and Lee.

This is my favorite Tony Foster story. And I love, love, love CB's kids.
Ward Bond
Nov 01, 2014 Ward Bond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUMMARY:
In the sequel to Smoke and Shadows, Tony Foster, a production assistant on the syndicated TV series Darkest Night, is forced to draw on his magical ability to see and hear the dead when the show goes on location to shoot an episode at Caulfield House, an actual haunted house filled with dark forces that can destroy the living.
Maggie
Jun 18, 2009 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Second in the Smoke series. Part of the crew of Darkest Night, the tv show Tony works on, is trapped in a haunted house and it is up to Tony to use his fledgling wizarding skills to save them. Huff really is a master at snappy dialogue and make fantastic use of some spectacularly bad puns (though I swear I never used the word 'dude' until I started reading this series).
Carole
Oct 03, 2012 Carole rated it really liked it
Tony is a compelling protagonist who grows in an interesting way over the course of the "Smoke" books, and is by far my favorite openly gay protagonist in any SF series.

"Smoke and Mirrors" is not quite as good as "Smoke and Shadows", but taken as a trilogy, the three "Smoke" books are superior even to the "Blood" books.
  • Hemovore
  • The Devil You Know (Vampire Files, #12.5)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Black Blades (Rifter #3)
  • Hell Cop 2
  • Turnskin
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • Infected: Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
  • Kirith Kirin
  • Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

Tony Foster (4 books)
  • Smoke and Shadows (Tony Foster #1)
  • Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives