Start by marking “A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)

A Confederation of Valor (Confederation #1-2)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,027 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr's goal is to keep both her superior officers and her troops alive as they face deadly missions throughout the galaxy. She more than proves her mettle when a diplomatic assignment and a scientific expedition both turn dangerous.
Published December 5th 2006 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about A Confederation of Valor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Confederation of Valor

Rachel Neumeier
So, just read this omnibus of Valor's Choice and The Better Part of Valor, by Tanya Huff. Huff isn't an auto-buy author for me, or at least she never has been . . . I like her books okay, but I don't go seek them out.

Well.

A friend recommended the Valor series to me, and I instantly bought the other two.

I enjoy military SF, at least as long as it's more adventure than blood-and-guts. Not that I want it all sanitized exactly, but I want the main character and at least some of the secondary charact
Mya
If I had a daughter, I would press this book into her hands so that she could truly see that women can be badasses and leaders just as sure as any male! Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr is a beast! She's a Marine through and through. Tanya Huff portrays the 'Leave No One Behind' soldier as a profound leader in the face of truly horrific circumstances. "A Confederation of Valor" is actually two novels in one: "Valor's Choice" and "The Better Part of Valor." While the first book is more emotionally wrack ...more
Ctgt
This is actually the first two books in the Confederation series. I really liked the first and enjoyed the second although I thought the second book dragged just a bit. In some ways the author uses pretty familiar tropes, bad-ass Staff Sergeant Kerr who leads her troops while trying to shield them from the upper echelon. The twist is her troops are human as well as alien. Several alien species have joined forces with humanity to battle the Others. So this in itself makes for an interesting dynam ...more
Mary Holland
This is the omnibus version of the first and second Valor books: Valor's Choice and The Better Part of Valor. They are both excellently written, very funny, and have a detailed military space-opera fantasy universe. It's obvious Tanya Huff was in the military non-commissioned ranks: she has all the jokes and the tone of grunts dealing with insane and stupid officers down pat.
In Valor's Choice, Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr takes a picked platoon of soldiers on a diplomatic mission to encourage a new
David Caldwell
Omnibus edition of Valor's Choice and The Better Part of Valor.

This is not what I normally think of when I think of miltary sci-fi.Most of those books were written by former military men who focus a lot on the weaponry and the fighting.There is nothing wrong with those types of books, in fact they are usually a lot of fun to read.The Valor stories just don't fit that type though.

The Valor series follows Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr.Basically a Staff Sergeant is the link between the officers and the
Kathy
Staff Sargeant Torin Kerr... she is awesome... she is in charge of her marines, and molds & deals with higher ups... all with determination, sincerity, and strength... doing exactly what needs to be done...

She does it in a future time, where the Confederation has contracted with Earth (150 years earlier) to be their soldiers against 'the Others'... bug like creatures that want to destroy the Confederation holdings... two other species (and a 3rd by the end of the 1st book) were also negotiat
Speedtribes
Rachel Thompson
Valor's Choice: Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr is a battle-hardened professional soldier. Her platoon is denied a well-deserved leave for an easy duty as an honor guard for a diplomatic mission. Enemies of the Confederation had been spotted in that sector of space however, so Torin is ready for anything.

The Better Part of Valor: Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr is separated from her platoon and sent off on a dangerous assignment to protect an expedition to a seemingly empty spaceship of epic proportions.

Huf
Zoey
Rating: 4.5 stars.

This is not deep, thought-provoking literature. If it were a movie, it'd be a summer blockbuster: a fun ride with humor, explosions, and a lot of action, but not something you'd expect to win awards. For what it is though, it is an excellent book.

Once you get into the second part/book, it's obvious that the stories in this series are going to follow a formula. It'll start off slow, then shit will happen and Torin Kerr will have to save the day by being an efficient, competent b
Carolyn F.
Two books in one.

Valor's Choice. Torin has just finished with one battle when she and the remains of her platoon are thrown into another a diplomatic mission that is supposed to see no combat. The new lieutenant also happens to be a man she met and slept with the night before. That actually has nothing to do with the story. The platoon has to survive them being blown out of the sky and attacked by a bunch of young Silsviss. Very good story. Had me biting my nails with each turn of the page. ****
Text Addict
Oh, wow. These books have been published for over a decade and I hadn't read them until this month! Woe is me!

But at least this two-for-one volume is still in print - a fact that by itself says something about its quality (or at least its popularity).

So, what's to love about this story? Well, the worldbuilding. In this distant future, Humans have been recruited by a Confederation of "more highly evolved" species to fight against the "Others," an aggressive and uncommunicative species that's atta
Amanda
I loved these first 2 installments of the confederation series. I like military sci-fi, and I love kickass female characters and both were included here. Torin Kerr is one of the strongest female characters I have ever come across. Yes, ultimately she has to follow orders, but she does her damndest to keep all of her Marines alive while following them and it’s her passion to keep her Marines alive that’s one of her best qualities. In addition to a strong female lead character, the series (so far ...more
Marie
Just what I needed - a fun and lighthearted read with lots of humor and tension. This is a compilation of two novels, and I was glad of that when I finished the first because I wanted more.

Now, be warned - the main character is astoundingly competent at everything she does, but at least she escapes Mary Suedom through the fact that she is only perfect at those things within her job description.

The first book was a bit better than the second, I think - more depth of characterization on the minor
Lbaker
I love reading Canadian fiction, Canadian science fiction is even better.
This book is actually an omnibus with Valor's Choice and The Better Part of Valor published together. Now I need to find The Heart of Valor to continue the series.

Read this because:
Strong female heroine (Torin)
Canadian
Great read!
Laure Reminick
I admit, I am now a fan of protagonist Sgt. Torin Kerr. I'd definitely want her at my back (pushing me beyond my limits) in any tough situation.

Huff's mind-hopping Points of View at first bothered me a bit in the second part of this double feature: The Better Part of Valor. But Huff pulled it off by the end.

The valor and bravery of various characters (highlighted by the silliness of others) can't help but inspire. And that's what I look for in fiction. Huff completely personifies the funny give
June
I had read these before, but enjoyed them enough to read them again. Valor's Choice is about how Staff Sargent Kerr handles a new second lieutenant, while winning a new species as an ally and keeping as many of her people alive as possible. Author's note says her battle was loosely based on Rorke's Drift.

Better Part of Valor has Staff Sargent Kerr leading a reconnaissance mission on an unknown alien spacecraft, hampered by a incompetent captain, reporters, scientists, marines who have never work
Angraecus Daniels
Two novels in this edition. The first novel was somewhat predictable, but moderately enjoyable. The second novel was just awful. It was impossible to keep track of all the supporting characters. Most of the time, I couldn't even tell what species a character was supposed to be. Also there were several scenes that seemed like filler.
Igzy Dewitt
Most exciting military sci fi I've read in ages. Perfectly paced, wonderfully realized characters, and, for the genre, a savvy moderation when it comes to one liners. Tanya Huff is one of the greats.
Joanna
Now given, I love basically everything Tanya Huff has written. But I went into this one with reservations, because the whole future/aliens/space travel thing really didn't appeal. It did take a little while to settle in, but once I'd gotten used to the various aliens and quirks of writing, MAN was this a fun read! It's an omnibus version, and I just read all the way through. It's got Huff's awesome sense of humour all through, and I definitely came to love Torin Kerr. There appears to be at leas ...more
Cupof Tea
I had already read the first book when I got another edition out from the library and I love the main character, Torin Kerr. The second book deals with an adventure on a mysterious craft in the middle of nowhere, introducing some more new alien species and of course they run into trouble and have a cool space battle.

I'm not usually a fan of military themes, but the Staff Sergeant's point of view is such a good story, the rapport with the Marines is awesome, I love the banter and humour even in s
Elizabeth Eames
Great fast paced stories, interesting world, fantastic characters and a female lead that kicks ass....so much fun! I had to keep reading, and ended up sleep deprived because I just had to see how both ended.
Rebecca Johnson
I really liked this book. Huff does a great job making a kick-ass strong female lead.

Kerr is smart, tough-as-nails, committed to the Corps and the troops she leads, and likes sex as much as the next Marine.

In the end I feel like I understand the military and those in it a little more and it makes my respect for our troops that much stronger.

Oh and who can hate a book with humans fighting alongside aliens that will have sex with anything and aliens that can and will eat anything. This series
Desiree
It's really a 3.5
I really liked the book(s). Nice and realistic characters, you really get engrossed in them. Realistic and well researched plots, shit happens and it is not particularly sugar coated. Will definitely be looking for Ms Huff other books!
Jenny T
Military science fiction about Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr and the Marines under her command (as well as a cast of loathsome superior officers and a romantic interest or two). This book comprised of the first two books in the series: Valor's Choice and The Better Part of Valor.

I enjoyed this book for its humor and its strong, sarcastic female lead, as well as for the delicious way the author differentiates between alien species--while making even the most alien among them very relatable. That, an
Susan
You might notice that the cover for this omnibus is like a tube-altered pic from the painting Paul Youll did for the cover to The Better Part of Valor. Because that's exactly what it is. I contacted him to see if he did the manipulation and he says no—he didn't even get paid when they used this image, because HE didn't do it—someone on staff at the publisher altered his painting. Waiting to hear the outcome of THAT!

re-read both books 3/17/2013
re-read both books 5/23 & 5/24/2015
Jeremy
I couldn't get through this. I got halfway through chapter two, and had to skip ahead to chapter three. I read a bit, from there I skipped a head to chapter four. Each time I skipped a head I didn't feel like I was missing anything. Finally I had to put the book down. I just found the bit I read boring to no end. It might get much much better further on into the book but I just didn't care enough about any thing that was going on to even try.
Jeremy Preacher
I am fond of Tanya Huff, and occasionally like military scifi. This was a good combination. Hard-bitten, wisecracking female staff sergeant, aliens that are "the most indiscriminately enthusiastic life-forms in the Galaxy" (and irresistible if they forget to wear their pheromone scrubbers,) and odd missions that go badly wrong. Nothing too terribly profound, but fun stuff for sure.
Stephanie
This book totally sucked me in and would not let me pay attention to anything else. There were very few slow parts, and I don't necessarily care for military plotlines. The world she's built is so vast and exciting, though, and Torin is a great, very in-charge character. I'm definitely interested in seeing her more in action!
Michelle
I'm not a big fan of military sci-fi, but I'm not able to put this book down. I just wish there were pictures of the creatures; she doesn't describe them very much, so I don't have a mind-picture of them except in the most vague way. Either describe them well, or give us a picture!
Sarah Barlow
This was an A-1 bloody amazing book! even better than David Drake's Lt. Leary series in terms of military SF. I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who likes milSF. hilarious and serious in turns. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Blade Dancer
  • Heris Serrano (The Serrano Legacy, #1-3)
  • To Trade the Stars (Trade Pact Universe, #3)
  • City of Pearl (Wess'har Wars, #1)
  • A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #1)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

Confederation (6 books)
  • Valor's Choice (Confederation #1)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • An Ancient Peace (Peacekeeper, #1) (Confederation, #6)
Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1) Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2) Valor's Choice (Confederation #1) Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3) Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles #1)