Start by marking “The Blood Books, Volume I (Omnibus: Blood Price / Blood Trail)” as Want to Read:
The Blood Books, Volume I (Omnibus: Blood Price / Blood Trail)

The Blood Books, Volume I (Vicki Nelson #1-2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,159 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Blood Price Vicki Nelson, formerly of Toronto’s homicide unit and now a private detective, witnesses the first of many vicious attacks that are now plaguing the city of Toronto. As death follows unspeakable death, Vicki is forced to renew her tempestuous relationship with her former partner, Mike Celluci, to stop these forces of dark magic—along with another, unexpected al ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 554 pages
Published July 5th 2006 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Books, Volume I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood Books, Volume I

Buggy
Opening Line:"Ian shoved his hands in his pockets and scowled down the length of the empty subway platform."

BLOOD BOOKS Volume 1 contains the first two books in Tanya Huff's 5 part Blood series. These stories became the first few episodes in the Blood Ties TV show which luckily I discovered before the books because now I have the added bonus of visual references for all the characters. The books aren't as cheesy as the TV series sometimes became in fact the writing here is well above average, fa
Paul
Jun 04, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
Blood Books (vol. 1) is an omnibus containing the first two of Tanya Huff’s “Blood” series; Blood Price and Blood Trail.

Blood Price, the first in the series, introduces us to the main characters. We have Vicki Nelson, a female detective that left the force because of failing eyesight, her ex-partner (and on-again, off-again lover) Mike Celluci and her assistant, Henry Fitzroy. We learn that Henry is actually a vampire.

The novels are similar in style to Butcher’s Dresden Files in that each deals
Michelle
May 16, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
I had never read a Tanya Huff book before, and when my friend sent me Volumes 1, 2 & 3 after our discussion of some books I'd just finished reading, I was under the impression it was a romance series.

So not the case!

Still under that impression, I started the book and began to loathe it because I was instinctively waiting for the big romance scenes that were not coming. After I got through Blood Price (and figured out it was more about mystery and drama rather than romance) I actually enjoyed
Inara
Sep 02, 2007 Inara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who love to read about vampires and crime
Blood Price
Vicky Nelson, a former police-woman, now private investigator becomes witness of a terrible murder in a Toronto subway station. The victim has severe throat injuries and the body is drained of blood. When other murders happen in the exactly same way the media start to conjure up the picture of a vampire dealing out death and destruction.
Henry Fitzroy is a vampire and not happy at all about the suspicion against his kind. He lives unrecognized between people and he wants it to stay tha
The Flooze
*4 stars for Blood Price.*

I've been watching the show based on this series, catching it in bits and pieces thanks to dratted insomnia. Though it can be terribly cheesy and it doesn't feature the best acting, it's still entertaining.

Combine that with my impression of the one other Huff book I've read - a lacklustre story that never made me care for its characters - and I kept putting these books to the side. I hoped they'd expand on the intriguing aspects of the television show...but I feared wo
Beth
Feb 09, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-fun, 2014
I had read Blood Price a couple of years ago, as I'll pick up almost anything related to the Tudors in any way shape or form. After binge watching "Blood Ties" on DVD, however, I returned to the series to see how well the series related to the books. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the TV series did the characters justice (although they completely wussed out as far as Tony, and Henry's bisexuality, is concerned). If you are familiar with the show, Blood Price is essentially the pilot epis ...more
Fred
Oct 27, 2011 Fred rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Urban fantasy, vampire lovers
This is the beginning of kind of a long running series for her. I read them quite a while ago, but remember enjoying them a lot.
Back in the dawn of the age of vampires (1991!) they seemed fresh and different. There's some good romantic/sexual tension with the female protag and two sexy guys(she's got kind of a chip on her shoulder, I'm afraid, but a good heart) and clever stories, too. Lots libraries have these, so a good break from Kindle/Nook extravagance.
Mary T. B.
Apr 01, 2016 Mary T. B. rated it it was amazing
First of all, I've watched the tv serie before reading the books.
And I am really glad of it.
Those are two different things. And the books are way better.

Blood Price:
The things start at the very first page. We get to know Vicki Nelson, a strong female character who stop at nothing when she works on a case. She doesn't seems to need anyone, but it don't bother. She is strong enough to be awesome, and have enough flaws to be likable. I really love her.
She is forced to team up with 450 years old Hen
Angel
Jan 29, 2016 Angel rated it it was amazing
I love this series so far (i just finished Price...haven't started Trail yet).
Henry's an awesome vampire with baggage, Mike I'm just in love with for the sarcasm and crankiness and Vicki is not an irritating female that sometimes we get stuck with as leads.

My only issues were if his Catholic faith is so important to Henry as was earlier in the book suggested, why didn't it play a part in facing the Demon (Only Mike crosses himself and he's supposed to be the skeptical one?)

And only time will tel
Leah
Jan 23, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing
Even better than the show. Just LOVE IT!

BLOOD PRICE- Fantastic. Great story!
-----------------
I just love the main characters. Vicki is quite a strong yet hard-headed character-she's great. It does jump around a lot. Which isn't bad. it gives the characters more life, tells their back-story and provides more 'meat' to the stories. You get a look in to each of the characters, see from their points of view.

Shew, i really can't stand this Norman character- i just want to smack him. He was annoying i
Jeremy Preacher
Omnibus, so two parts:

Blood Price:

It's interesting to see how oddly dated this feels - not in a "clearly set in the late 80s" kind of way, but in a "urban fantasy has developed as a genre" sort of way. I don't even know that I can pinpoint why it feels a little archaic, although certainly the vampire lore is bog-standard and the demon summoning equally so.

That is not to say that it's not worth reading - it's entertaining enough, and Henry Fitzroy's flashbacks are neat, although they make the nar
LaNita Herlem
Nov 22, 2009 LaNita Herlem rated it really liked it
I love the show "Blood Ties" which is based on Tanya Huff's Blood Books. Since I have seen the complete television series, I was hesitant to read the books because, well, I had already seen them. I was wrong. The first book "Blood Price" is the first two shows of the tv series, but the second book, "Blood Trail" is not. Yes there is a show concerning lycanthropy that does take a couple minute details from the book, but the two stories are NOTHING alike. Hopfully that will be the case with the ot ...more
Danie
Jul 15, 2015 Danie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Danie by: Lifetime TV Network, sorta...
Shelves: myst-thrill
Blood Price -- Vicki Nelson, Vampire Slayer. No, wait, wrong character. Vicki Nelson, PI, former Police detective, now with retinitis pigmentosa is an interesting heroine. She's planted firmly in the side of good in this book from the beginning. After all, she was one of Toronto's finest, a detective who solved hard cases and solved a lot of them (maybe with a teeny bit of help from her partner Mike Celluci).

But then the eye thing came along and she had to retire and her life finally got interes
Lasairfiona Smith
Jul 16, 2008 Lasairfiona Smith rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: For some light, urban fantasy reading...
There isn't anything particularly special about these books. The writing is okay, the characters are fairly one dimensional, and the plots are quite straightforward. However, Huff puts together a pleasant read. Two of the three main characters love to scream at each other and typically lose their temper every other page. How these two could possibly function as cops without a serious list of citations is anyone's guess, but it is quite entertaining to read about how they really, really want to g ...more
K.A. Jordan
Oct 27, 2010 K.A. Jordan rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
First two books of the 'Blood' series. Well done without being over done. Worth the effort to track down. Huff has a deft way of telling at story. Good characters, Henry is likable, Vickie is gruff and flawed enough to be interested. Sex is implied not grossly detailed.

Like many other reviewers I found out about the books from the TV series.

Huff does a good job of pulling the reader into the story. I liked her 'regular' characters enough to keep reading the rest of the series. While Norman cam
Colleen S.
Jan 12, 2012 Colleen S. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers of urban fantasy
This is actually a compendium containing Huff's first two novels in a series; Blood Trail and Blood Price. (I do wish more series would compile their books this way.) The first novel drops you in media res with a plucky protagonist; some of her relationships seem odd, but the reader becomes accustomed over the course of the novel. The omnipresent POV is interesting; much of the urban fantasy I've read is from the protagonist's point of view; transitions between character thoughts seem unwieldy a ...more
This was cool. Kind of an old school film noir story about a lady private investigator... she's hard-boiled, smart-assed, and gets the jobs done. She has to retire from the police force because she has a degenerative eye disease. Gets wrapped in a case which introduces her to demons, vampire (singular) and then later werewolves. Has a bit of a love triangle which was interesting. She has a relationship with a cop, then forms another with the vampire. She doesn't seem to want to choose between th ...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
Jan 23, 2011 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it it was amazing
Blood Debt

In this, the 5th story of Vicki Nelson, vampire and PI, she is asked by Henry Fitzroy (vampire) to help him solve a case where a ghost visits him each evening. If Henry asks a wrong question someone dies, so the rush is on to find who his killer is. This is first time Vicki has seen Henry in 12 months, as two vampires cannot live in the same area as they are territorial. Vicki finds that hard to believe as she puts his theory to the test - they have their moments – she has her partner
Apr 10, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
This two-volume book includes the first two stories in Huff's "Blood Books" An urban fantasy series about ex-cop Vicki Nelson and Henry Fitzroy, bastard son of Henry VIII and a vampire. a predecessor to many of today's urban fantasy series, the blood books are focused more on adventure and mystery than romance. And while Nelson has her flaws, she is more mature, and less inclined to the hip-cocking, gum-smacking, sneering wisecracks of her more recent contemporaries. That said, this series lacks ...more
Shantal (Book Nerds are Pretty Too)
This book was recommended to me because I was a sucker for anything with a vampire in it. I really enjoyed these books although the writing left a lot to be desired. It kept me engaged until they ended. Blood Price, the first in the series, introduces us to the main characters. Vicki Nelson private investigator, her ex-partner Mike Celluci and 450-year-old vampire Henry Fitzroy.

Viki Nelson left the police forced to become a private investigator, one night on the subway she comes across a murder,
Emily
Aug 14, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
I picked this one up because I had enjoyed short stories set in the same world, and I was quite surprised to find that the characterizations were completely different. The huge thing that has already happened to the main character hasn't happened yet in these two books. It's like two books of reeeeeally long setup before everything happens to her later (but not in these books). Does that make sense? These are vaguely interesting as the hard-boiled detective is suddenly introduced to the supernat ...more
Eric
May 16, 2008 Eric rated it liked it
The first novel of this 2-book omnibus left me with mixed feelings. I enjoyed it, because it is a good yarn. However, it has a few big weaknesses which kept me from really getting excited about it.

First of all, only Vicky Nelson and Henry Fitzroy are well fleshed-out characters. Celluci was on his way, but didn't quite make it. The villain was a lame collection of stereotypes.

Huff jumps back and forth between viewpoints like she's on a pogo stick. It was distracting and unnecessary. There are al
Erinn
I really enjoyed the first two books of this series. The first one is similar to the pilot of the show, but with enough differences that you have a feel for where you are in the story without it getting boring. I found it to be better then the show actually. I really liked Henry's fashbacks and the banter between all the characters.

The second book was even better. I absolutely loved the werewolves.

Some time in the early 90's I read one book out of this series. All I remember from the the book w
Spazfungus
Jan 04, 2015 Spazfungus rated it it was ok
liked both, but felt a little unsatisfied at the end of each. I do enjoy that the human girl is interested, but not blinded by the vampire and continues her own life and relationships with other males (thus making the vampire jealous)
Lorena Martínez
Apr 24, 2011 Lorena Martínez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires
Estos libros tienen de todo lo que me gusta, detectives, vampiros y algo de romance. Los casos me gustaron aunque nunca pude poner la evidencia antes de que me dijeran quien fue. En fin, a veces pasa. Sin embargo me gusta cómo va mezclando los problemas de Viky, con el caso, con lo sobre natural. De hecho, también me intriga lo fácil que la ex policía acepto lo sobre natural, espero que en los siguientes libros me den algunas respuestas. Mientras tanto disfrute mucho a los hombres (y mujeres) lo ...more
Robin
Apr 09, 2011 Robin rated it it was amazing
This book, published in 1991.No cell phones or Internet access makes it a little dated, but it can't stop this from being a good book.Tanya Huff had to be one of the 1st paranormal writers to get the humor of Vampires w/ condo's & answering machines. She address the fact that people were smaller in the 1500's so a 400 yr old Vampire would not be 6'4.
I like her characters and the whole story line... I only wish she had not faded to black during every sex scene and given just a little more de
Kristine
Dec 24, 2015 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This novel is fast paced, suspenseful, and fun. The characters are amazing and realistic. I couldn't put this action packed novel down from start to finish!!!
Nathaniel
Apr 16, 2016 Nathaniel rated it really liked it
I adore these books, a completely underrated guilty pleasure they are brimming with monsters and ghouls and just good fun.
Noel G
Jul 21, 2015 Noel G rated it really liked it
If you like the Sookie Stackhouse books, then you may wish to give this a try. Looking forward to reading the next volume now.
Bonnie_blu
Aug 04, 2015 Bonnie_blu rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
The two-books-in-one were just okay. I didn't particularly like the characters, but then again, I didn't particularly dislike them either. The writing is somewhat amateurish, and there is too much repetition. The books didn't raise enough emotion in me either way to bother writing a detailed review.
  • The Vampire Files, Volume 1 (Vampire Files, #1-3)
  • Trinity Blood: Reborn on the Mars, Volume 2: The Iblis
  • Sword and Sorceress VI
  • Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy
  • Treasure (Raised By Wolves, #3)
  • The Painter Knight (Branion, #2)
  • Karavans (Karavans, #1)
  • Amazon Queen (Amazon, #2)
  • Shadow Magic (Havemercy #2)
  • Succubus Takes Manhattan (Succubus, #2)
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • The Chosen
  • Thief of Lives (Noble Dead, Series 1, #2)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

Vicki Nelson (8 books)
  • Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1)
  • Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2)
  • Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3)
  • Blood Pact (Vicki Nelson, #4)
  • Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)
  • Blood Bank (Vicki Nelson #6)
  • La saga de la sangre