Start by marking “Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Lean Analytics: Use Da...

Alistair Croll

Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  789 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Whether you're a startup founder trying to disrupt an industry or an intrapreneur trying to provoke change from within, your biggest challenge is creating a product people actually want. "Lean Analytics" steers you in the right direction.

This book shows you how to validate your initial idea, find the right customers, decide what to build, how to monetize your business, and
Published March 8th 2013 by O'Reilly Media (first published February 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lean Analytics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean Analytics

Stephanie Sun
This is a tough review to structure and write. First, I am not the ideal reader for this book. Although I am learning web design and care about accountability and embrace technology in my professional life, I am not trying to launch anything at scale and certainly not with VC money.

But the single most striking thing about Eric Ries's book, original recipe Lean Startup (Ries was the Editor of Lean Analytics, but the publisher here is O'Reilly not Crown Business), was how readily applicable his co
Caroline Gordon
The one metric that matters (OMTM) is the key measurement you need to be be making of your current endeavour. My endeavour to learn all about building products and the business that build products seems to be measured right now by the number of books I'm reading on the topic, so +1 to that!
Lean Analytics builds on the Lean Startup and presents some quite prescriptive ways to views various types of internet businesses. It's an easy quick read but I don't think it will stand the test of time, it's
Sebastian Gebski
I'll start with 3 advices:
1.) Start with reading the subtitle
2.) Then read the subtitle
3.) And finally - read the subtitle

This book is not about analytics in general or even analytics in lean production / development. It's just & only about analytics in terms of building & developing a Lean Startup. If you're fine with this assumption, you'll love it. Why?

* TONS of examples, all of them under the actual names - and we're talking about really known brands here
* VERY comprehensive approach
Kelly Reid
Another disjointed analysis with specifics about my company that I shouldn't tell people.

Lean Analytics

10: Ratios are good for comparing factors that are opposed or have some kind of tension. A good metric changes behavior.

12: Types of Metrics - Qual / Quant, Exploratory / Reporting, Leading / Lagging, Correlated / Causal ( If you find a relationship between something you want and something you control, you can change the future )

14: We care about active users, because it probably lead-indicates
Carlos Duarte do Nascimento
A great book for start-up entrepreneurs (and those considering that path) and people trying to promote change in big organizations. In the footsteps of Lean Startup, it covers all stages of such an endeavor, but with a data-oriented (but not data-obsessed) approach.

In all fairness, I'm neither an entrepreneur, nor a data-driven decision maker. However, most of my professional life involves dealing with such personae, and the book gave me the vocabulary and context to keep this conversation in hi
Johnny Graber
The biggest point I have against Lean Analytics is that it isn’t lean. On nearly 400 pages Alistair Croll and Benjamin Yoskovitz add one usage scenario for analytics to another. And then keep going on by adding yet another one. At the end you find so many different approaches that many of them exclude themselves. You either are an intrapreneur or in a startup, but not both at the same time.
Part one and the first few chapters in part two are really good. They show important aspects, they explain
Fileundercommonknowledge Simpson
Lean Analytics is a practical guide and checklist for developing a high-growth start-up. The authors' main premise is that you should find a single meaningful metric, and then run experiments to improve it until this KPI is good enough to move to the next problem (of the next stage) of your business.

The book divides into two halves. The first section guides you in working out what you should be doing - there's even a useful chapter on deciding what to do with your life and whether you'll actuall
Louis
Lean Analytics bills itself as how data can be used as a startup. But it really is how you use data to make and check business decisions. And it takes the discussion of key performance indicators and puts them into a context where 1. data is readily available and 2. analyzing the data is relatively easy if you knew what data to look for and what and why you are analyzing it.

The first part is fairly standard fare for metrics oriented organizations. A discussion of what data is, how to choose meas
Erik
A great practical book on how to get the most out of your analytics. Full of great examples, great metrics, and a great system for understanding what types of metrics will improve your business depending on the maturity of your product. This book really reinforces the point that metrics which are not in service of your current business goals are effectively trivia and not worth investment. I highly recommend it.
Kenneth B Yap
Good 'sequel' to Lean Startup

Provides a sound framework for the startup stages of growth, incorporating lean methodology, data-centric learning & execution, business street smarts. Definitely applicable to all startups and a good companion book to Eric Reis' The Lean Startup.
Alex Devero
Start-up founders need to focus on what they're good at and enjoy doing. If you follow your passion and keep a data-informed mindset, you can effectively use metrics to move through the Lean Analytics stages, reach your goals and bring your organization great success.
Glenn Schmelzle
This delivers on its promise. It's dense. It gives models that spark your thinking on analytics you can use for your own organization. I wouldn't do the topic justice the way Alistair & Ben have, but part of me wishes I had written this book.
Chris Sanfilippo
This is one of my favorite books of all time. It's a must read for any startup founder. The author is really cool and has given me some really great advice on twitter. (This is the only book I gave a 5 star review so far)
Jeanny
This book is a gem for entrepreneurs, product managers, business analysts, marketers and, honestly, anyone involved in the end-to-end development and operations (yes, pretty much everyone). It provides a structured look at issues you face on the job, and provides practical advice and methods in tackling them. For those seeking a sure business win, this is not the right book for you. For those who prefer to embrace the unknown through pure gut feeling, you will not be pleased. But for the rest of ...more
Julia
This book expands upon the Lean Startup ideas using data analytics. Some parts ame across as overly theoretical. Overall, useful read for shaping one's approach to growing a business in a structured way.
Ryotaro Nagasawa
It is a good read not only for start-ups but for intrapreneurs in a big organization.
As I'm not a type of reader who takes notes for reviewing purpose while reading but for my own interest, here's my takeaway.

Though we're in "Big Data" era, the important thing is not to be drowned or swept away by the huge amount of data but to focus on OMTM (One metric that matters).
With a lot of cases and examples by each type of business models, mostly web based but some offline ones too, it may be easy to a
Henry
Overall, I think this was a very useful book. I thought the authors overstepped their bounds in saying they have "the answer" for the life cycles of a startup because they often talked about how complex these systems were, and then assumed away the complexity to generate their model. I understand that's how modeling works, but you can't profess certainty if you're limiting the complexity so severely.

The most useful section had to do with the benchmarks. For a data person like myself, it was fas
Christian E
Analyzing startups through the analytics lenses. Complementary reading. First I would read more about the core, as Running Lean, Lean Startup, Costumer Development.
Miles
Interesting — started strong, but the specific industry examples were pretty rudimentary. I'd strongly recommend it for someone without any background in analytics.
Yuriy Gerasimov
Extremely useful book helping to understand the model of the online business you are at and what metric to track and when. A lot of inspiring use cases.
Francesco
I took some very good insights from this book even though I was just coming from "The 4 steps to the epiphany" (T4SE) and this made the comparison unavoidable and the result clearly goes against "Lean analytics". The book hasn't got the scientific tone T4SE has but it allowed me to have a clearer understanding on how to proceed in my quest about using the appropriate metrics for the products I am managing.

Examples brought especially at the beginning of the book do not seem to be really relevant
Tim
Lean Analytics is one of the best business books I have read in a long time. The approach is data-driven: build, measure, learn. Measurement focuses on the most critical performance metrics for each stage of a startup, from initial assessment of concept-market fit (Empathy) through scale-up. Metrics are tightly coupled with the underlying business model and the authors analyze each of the principle web-based models: E-commerce, Software as Service, Free Mobile App, Media Site, User-Generated Con ...more
Wilson Lau
A great extension to The Lean Startup by Eric Ries. I would call it a more practical application of the Lean philosophy.
Freddy
It depends where you're coming from. If you're already in the startup scene and you've scoured the web for everything "lean startup" then you most likely know 80% of what's in this book. It's still worth a read because it does a good job at bundling up the essentials in a way that's easy to read and navigate. It's chapters are divided in sections based on business types (mobile, Saas, ecommerce, etc.) and it highlights the key metrics a startup should look out for. It's a great reference guide a ...more
Chris Shinkle
Great book. Everyone should read this.
Mishaal M
Really liked the case-study approach in writing throughout the book. Very elaborate on the business model framework (Empathy, Stickiness, Virality, Revenue, and Scale) and how to measure if your organization/start-up is sustainable, by helping you decide what metrics to focus on depending on what stage your company is in and what type of business you run. A bit repetitive after a while, however, but I loved how it touches upon some common pitfalls businesses tend to run into with one-size-fits-a ...more
Dvir Oren
no useful in my opinion
Peter Sellars
Really enjoyed this book - read it cover to cover (first read through) - but see myself continuously dipping into the contents based on the type of work I am doing from now on. Would be awesome to put some of these analytics to work on my own lean start-up - now have more tools to utilise across the life-cycle of any proposed venture. Recommend this book to all entrepreneurial types and look forward to more data-orientated based decision making for all.
lucapette
Definitely worth reading if you're interested in the subject
Quan Mt
This books helped me a lot to understand how to measure stuff going on with my startup
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Lean Customer Development: Build Products Your Customers Need
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Inspired: How to Create Products Customers Love
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Data Analysis with Open Source Tools
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business With a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability & Science of Customer Centricity [With CDROM]
  • Data Science for Business: What you need to know about data mining and data-analytic thinking
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
Complete Web Monitoring: Watching Your Visitors, Performance, Communities, and Competitors Propose, Prepare, Present: How to become a successful, effective, and popular speaker at industry conferences Propose, Prepare, Present Lean Analytics Managing Bandwidth: Deploying Qos in Enterprise Networks

“Don’t just ask questions. Know how the answers to the questions will change your behavior. In other words, draw a line in the sand before you run the survey.” 1 likes
“A startup is an organization formed to search for a scalable and repeatable business model.” 0 likes