Start by marking “El Aire De Chanel” as Want to Read:
El Aire De Chanel

El Aire De Chanel

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Invierno de 1946. Saint-Moritz, Suiza. Dos viejos amigos Paul Morand y Coco Chanel, se encuentran casualmente. El fragor de la guerra ha puesto fin al deslumbrante mundo donde ejercian sus peculiares talentos en un ambiente desenvuelto y cosmopolita. Paris ha dejado de ser una fiesta. Desde alli se mira con prevencion a estos dos personajes, a quienes se reprocha su actitu ...more
Published December 28th 2002 by Tusquets (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about El Aire De Chanel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Aire De Chanel

Joan
Morand first met Coco Chanel in 1921, and in 1946 was invited to visit Chanel in St. Moritz, where he had extensive conversations with her, with a view to help write her memoirs. That project never came off, and the notes were put away and did not surface again until after Chanel's death, and were published finally in 1976.

It's pretty well known by now that Chanel created herself in more ways than one, inventing stories about her childhood and upbringing, but the reality of a young woman who bro
Sherry
Morand did an interview with Chanel and then transcribed the notes. It's really interesting because it's Chanel telling the story. It isn't just a story of an ambitious woman who wanted to change fashion, it was someone who didn't fit in. Sometimes she was insecure, sometimes bitter and arrogant. There's so much emotion that you really get pulled into who she is.
I think another interesting thing is the perspective. Sometimes she'll acknowledge lying, other times denounce that she lies. It makes
Sophia Sun P.
I’m very intrigued by the mind and life of Mademoiselle Chanel, so I was all too happy to discover this little gem with some of her own words, thoughts and stories as told to Paul Morand. However, I found it a bit annoying to read – choppy, like a poorly translated transcript from an overdrawn interview. And since, I am a fan of the woman and the brand, I was aware of her strong desire for recreation and redemption from her true past which lead to a long list of lies, revisions and recreations. ...more
Catherine
"You who are such an artistic person..." an elderly gentleman whom I didn't know said to me at a dinner party.

"I am not an artistic person."

"Then," he replied, squinting anxiously at my invitation card, "you are not Mlle Chanel."

"No, I am not her," I replied, to simplify things.

-Paul Morand, The Allure of Chanel
WORN Fashion Journal
Coco Chanel is arguably the most quoted woman in fashion. Her charming, witty prose style is undoubtedly enjoyable, but Chanel herself is more difficult to read. In this book, all of her famous and infamous lines are pierced together to form one text, overflowing with eccentricity. The book’s title is ironic - Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel’s translated diary hardly makes her seem alluring in the most obvious sense of the word. However, it is interesting to see inside the mind of one of fashion’s most ...more
Meika
This is a short book, so I was able to read it all in one day. It's wandering and haphazardly coherent; the chapters are like loose-leaf bundles of quotes. It does little to dispel the "mystery" around Coco Chanel, instead it intensifies it. Almost like the chapters of her life that she's willing to share with you are items in her collection, which she cuts, colors and embellishes as she sees fit, then parades onto the show floor for ten seconds amid flashbulbs and ambient music.
She covers ever
Ernestas Vaščenka
Incredibly smart, witty and prescient - this book is the most quotable thing I have ever read.
E.C. McCarthy
Adding this to a short list of all-time favourite books. I will undoubtedly read it again and again. Far more engaging than A Moveable Feast. It's Paris the way it ought to be experienced -- through the eyes of an independent woman. The new illustrations by Lagerfeld are perfect.

"I cannot take orders from anyone else, except in love; and even then..." (p.85)

"Every time I've done something reasonable, it's brought me bad luck." (p.197)
Josefine
This book was so, so good and beautiful.
It's Coco Chanel's autobiography, but it's not chronological or written like a biography at all - it's just her thoughts on certain topics and it was such an inspiring read.

You don't even have to be interested in fashion to like this book or Coco Chanel as a person. She was a truly fascinating and admirable woman who changed not only women's fashion but also women's minds.
Dirlididi
Читается так же легко как носится 2.55
Это не биография кутюрье, а скорее разговор с Коко Шанель и возможность узнать ее мнение на вещи, которые ее окружали и на людей, с которыми она пересекалась по жизни.
В книге не много исторических фактов о её жизни, зато много острых и честных высказываний великой женщины, не потерявшие со временем совей актуальности и остроумия.
Nicole Fischer
I've always been a huge admirer of Chanel. She truly was a strong and towering figure. Quite frightening. Still adore her, although i feel as if we would hate each other if we ever were in a room together. Correction i would probably adore her in fear as she despised me for it.
Jane
This book is an accumulation of author notes from an interview with Chanel in the 1940s. Several interesting tidbits were included, but it fell miserably short on autobiographical information.
Evgenia
'I loathe advice, not because I am stubborn, but, on the contrary, because I am easily influenced. Besides, people only offer you playthings, medicaments and advice that work for them'. ( Chanel)
Meredith
Beautifully illustrated by Karl Lagerfeld, this is a very intimate portrait of Chanel taken from conversations with her. Lots of wonderful quotes.
Amy
Coco Chanel was insane!!!! It was a fun little book. I appreciate a girl with a little sass.
Katya
huaa .. kerenth .. my fave designer all the time . :))
Margaret
Interesting stories and illustrations by Karl.
Anastasia Konstantinidou
Anastasia Konstantinidou marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Andrea Yaquian
Andrea Yaquian marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
D'Ette Sommers
D'Ette Sommers marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Basim Mahmoud
Basim Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Rakhi Mehrotra
Rakhi Mehrotra marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Inés Martínez
Inés Martínez marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Ulises Cabanillas
Ulises Cabanillas marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve: Close Up and Personal
  • D.V.
  • Shocking Life
  • The Fashion System
  • Grace: Thirty Years Of Fashion At Vogue.
  • Thomas the Impostor
  • The Thoughtful Dresser
  • Story of My Life: The Autobiography of George Sand (Suny Series, Women Writers in Translation)
  • Ravel
  • Fashion 150 Years Of Courtiers, Designers, Labels
  • Chanel and Her World: Friends, Fashion, and Fame
  • Anders. Der Gott der Elder (Anders, #4)
  • 100 Dresses: The Costume Institute / The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Seeing Through Clothes
  • Cleopatra's Nose: 39 Varieties of Desire
  • Helena Rubinstein: The Woman Who Invented Beauty
  • Paris Tales
  • Toy Monster: The Big, Bad World of Mattel
Paul Morand was a French diplomat, novelist, playwright and poet, considered an early Modernist.

He was a graduate of the Paris Institute of Political Studies (better known as Sciences Po). During the pre-war period, he wrote many short books which are noted for their elegance of style, erudition, narrative concision, and for the author's observation of the countries he visited combined with his mi
More about Paul Morand...
L' Homme Pressé Venices Brassai: Paris By Night Hecate and Her Dogs Fouquet ou Le Soleil offusqué

“A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous” 6 likes