Start by marking “Scattered Minds: Hope and Help for Adults with ADHD” as Want to Read:
Scattered Minds: Hope and Help for Adults with ADHD

Scattered Minds: Hope and Help for Adults with ADHD

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  12 reviews
An important new book on an increasingly talked-about condition that affects more than 8 million American adults.

Contrary to popular belief, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) isn't just a kids' disorder. In fact, after depression, it is the most common psychiatric disorder, affecting more than 8 million American adults. With symptoms that include difficulty
Published May 4th 2006 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Scattered Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scattered Minds

Camilla Severns
I think this is an excellent starting book for somebody new to researching ADHD. It covers a range of topics such as what ADHD is, how your brain functions because of it, different types of medication and the effects they have, alternative practices to helping stave off the symptoms ADHD, and different skill building approaches such as cognitive therapy or ADHD coaching.

Personally I want more information on my inattentive ADHD and methods/tips to help me be more productive and live a more fulfi
Patrick
I finished this book earlier today, and I would be hard pressed to point to anything remotely unique about it. Seems like he's treading the same old ground as the Hallowell posse, which of course doesn't make it wrong, it simply makes it rather forgettable. He did make an effort to keep the technical discourse on the brain and its parts to a minimum, and for that I commend him. If there's any mention anywhere that some of the drugs prescribed as treatment of ADHD can have some funky side effects ...more
Cassadie Bouchie
I think this book makes a lot of sense, it shows someone self diagnosis though, that I do not like about it, because self diagnosing is dangerous.
Carolyn
It is a great book for someone who wants to know about ADD and not wallow in medical terms. The author use easy to understand terms. The real-life cases also help in understanding what it was like to have ADD every single day, until of course medication is implemented. It also showcase the importance of getting help early on. The title is eye catching; the content is life changing.
Julia
Very detailed and cogent review of the topic. I have read several books in the last few months, this is not my favourite but it is well written, interesting and clearly uses facts to back up the informaton presented. It is a scholarly, albeit readable discussion of ADHD.
Lori Johnstone
Encouragement and good advice if you are a possible candidate for Adult ADHD. Screening test and then recommends getting a more comprehensive assessment from your doctor/psychiatrist.
Coco Prato
This book needs a lot of gravy. Beyond that, it is totally outdated considering the majority of the medical content pertains to neuroscience and was written in 2001.
Jason Verwey
Good primer, but not a lot of new information if you're already picked up the other ADHD "classics"
Michelle
This was very informative and gave thorough medical information in plain english.
Christopher Hurtado
Scattered Minds: Hope and Help for Adults with ADHD by Lenard Adler (2006)
Janice
Dec 26, 2011 Janice marked it as to-read
mentioned in Boston Globe 8/2011; ordered from PPL 12/26/11
Brandon
Good overview of the symptoms and causes of ADD.
Tim Malone
Tim Malone marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Alyssia
Alyssia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Marley
Marley marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Maggie
Maggie is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2015
Gurpreet
Gurpreet marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Santiago Mtz
Santiago Mtz marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Alise
Alise added it
Mar 29, 2015
Higgity
Higgity marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
doug
doug marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Heather Ellis
Heather Ellis marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Janet Evans
Janet Evans marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lenard Adler, M.D., is director of the Adult ADHD Program at New York University, where he is also an associate professor of psychiatry and neurology.

He has appeared on 60 Minutes and the Today show, as well as in The New York Times, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report, and elsewhere, discussing his treatment methods for adults with ADHD.
More about Lenard A. Adler...
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Adults and Children