Start by marking “The Story of Miss Moppet ” as Want to Read:
The Story of Miss Moppet

The Story of Miss Moppet (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,408 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
A mouse always seems to get the best of a kitten named Miss Moppet.
Hardcover
Published January 1st 1906 by Frederick Warne and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Miss Moppet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Miss Moppet

Biena (The Library Mistress)
Reminded me of Tom and Jerry. Haha.
mai
Jul 31, 2016 mai rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
uhm,,kalau ditanya ''hal apa yang bisa kamu ambil dari buku ini'' maka saya jawab,,tidak tau

soalnya ceritanya pendek dan gak jelas maksudnya apa. atau ini itu buku kayak little prince? cuma orang2 tertentu aja yang bisa mengerti maknanya?wqwq

agak sedikit mengingatkan dengan Tom & Jerry.

gambar ilustrasinya cakep btw
Janna
Jul 13, 2015 Janna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not unlike tom and jerry, haha. Reading a lot of Beatrix today.
Squeakyoak
Sep 16, 2011 Squeakyoak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Digital Book for iPad and iPhone in new Immersive format!
This book comes alive with sound and zestfully ingenious interactivity!
You can read about book here: http://squeakyoak.com/en/books/miss-m...
Link to English version on App Store:
Danielle
Apr 04, 2011 Danielle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading this book with one of my students. She loves it but we've only gotten through about 4 pages. We only have about 10 minutes to read. Looking forward to finishing it!
Janelle
Believe it or not this is the first Beatrix Potter book I have ever read. It was an absolute delight from start to finish.
Kimberley doruyter
the mouse got away, yeah!
monica ♪
Cute story with super cute illustrations! Cats lovers would love this book, I'm sure :)
HoopoeGirl
For some reason, I was never a fan of Potter's cat illustrations. They're too linear, and lack a cute level I want from my drawn felines. Combine that with the simple story and this one is not a favorite entry in her library. Still, a good reminder not to tease others. Just eat your prey immediately.
Karen
Jan 01, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why is everyone forever wrapping their heads up in dusters? It is crucially important I get an answer to this question. Lickety-split!
Joselyn  Moreno Burke
it was super cute watching the pictures going on and liked the story super adorable, the tale is super short but so appealing, every kid will love it.
Dione Basseri
A charming tale of a cat torturing a mouse for revenge. Or something. As the Beatrix Potter books go, this one might be one to save for about the last, so your kids can know things never turn out badly for any of the animals. I was legitimately concerned there'd be a death here.

The artwork displays Potter's always high quality and charm, and ability to make the human-like displays of her animal characters seem totally natural. A cat sitting with something on her head to ease an ache? Yeah, sure.
Saashya Rodrigo
I am not a fan of cats- I'm more of a dog person. I think this book pushed that dislike a little :) The cat is mean!!! But it's still a cute book. I remember laughing when Miss Moppet lost the mouse because she forgot about the hole. It's a fun bedtime story I think. Short, not too heavy, but still fun!
Vaishali
Jul 15, 2016 Vaishali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books, art
I wonder how many of these cat/mouse stories through the ages rooted for the mouse? A bit tiring, since the mouse always gloats when he wins. This is one of them, though Potter's marvelous art is a welcome rescue. A big thank you to Hanna & Barbara for allowing Tom to outsmart Jerry from time to time. :)
Stacy
Dec 29, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The best parts of this book: "And because the Mouse has teased Miss Moppet - Miss Moppet thinks she will tease the Mouse; which is not at all nice of Miss Moppet." and "He has wriggled out and run away; and he is dancing a jig on the top of the cupboard!" You know it's a great book when it ends with a jig being danced. This book needed to be in my life sooner.
jacky
Feb 08, 2010 jacky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What a cute kitten! Like A Fierce Bad Rabbit, the writing in this one was for readers who are a little younger so the style was very different from most of the books and more like the children books I'm used to. I liked how the kitten played with her food, like cats do, but also how she learned her lesson about two wrongs don't make a right. (Although, the mouse didn't learn anything).
Prashant
Apr 04, 2012 Prashant rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This is a typical Tom and Jerry story with the old cuter version of the mouse and the nastier one of the kitten.

THE Classic One
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another Beatrix Potter book, first published in 1906. It's a story about a mouse and a kitten. The kitten is teased by the mouse, catches him and eventually loses him. Very short with nice drawings.
Arthur Cravan
Jan 24, 2014 Arthur Cravan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I think I might have an abridged version (a concept that baffles me). Mine is only 29 pages long, & seems to make little sense as a story. Art is kinda cute, but Jesus, I hope there is a real version. Because this is easily one of the worst book's I've ever read in my life.
Bella
Jun 01, 2013 Bella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Beatrix Potter and her books. I think they're so lovely and just beautiful. I would love to have the entire collection so i could read them whenever i just want to have a break from adult books.
Windy A. Alicia
Yang ini seru, saling mengelabui. Paling lucu itu pas si tikus dibungkus pakai kain lap dan dijadiin bola. PESAN : Hati-hati, jangan ceroboh. Lubang yang memerangkap tikus juga merupakan lubang yang membebaskannya.
Sam
Oct 15, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A beautifully quaint story telling of a battle of wits between a cat named Miss Moppet and a mouse who manages to outwit her time and again. Superbly written with beautiful illustrations that will appeal to readers of all ages.
Polly
I can't actually remember if I ever encountered this as a child. It's very short and simple, and like The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit, I assume it's meant for younger children than is the average Beatrix Potter story.
Linda
Feb 12, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the Potter books to my children at bedtime years ago. Planning a trip to her home this year, I'm revisiting the tales. I fell asleep reading this, proving that they're STILL great bedtime stories. This one is short and to the point. Sometimes the little guy wins.
Allyson Foster
Jul 11, 2011 Allyson Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son (24months) and I loved this one! It is very funny. Miss moppet, the kitten, tries to catch a mouse. When she is successful she plays with it roughly (as is her kitty nature) but then it escapes and mocks her! A great little introduction into Beatrix Potter.
Susan
Jul 23, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I thought that I had enjoyed these books as a child, but the more I have been re-reading them now, the more I realized, 'no, my mother enjoyed reading these to me, but I did not enjoy having them read'. There is an underlying cruelty to the books that I do not appreciate.
Robert
Nov 17, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, fiction, classic, 3-7, cat, mice
Beatrix Potter was a wonderful writer. What a fun tale! One can just imagine the creators of Tom and Jerry having read this as children.

It is the classic cat and mouse tale. The mouse teases the cat, the cat returns the favor. Except she finds out the mouse has fooled her.
Sue
As precious as every other Potter book. This is the story of Miss Moppet a kitten who tries to cat the mouse that is teasing her. She catches the mouse in her scarf, but when she looks he’s gone. What happened?
Lili
May 18, 2012 Lili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beatrix Potter was a magnificent children's story teller and the books passed down through generations are still loved today
Lauren
Dec 02, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute extremely short story about a cat that is trying to catch a mouse. The audio book is under 2 minutes, so it's perfect if your kids need a really quick bedtime story.
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • Marshmallow
  • Blaze and the Mountain Lion (Billy and Blaze)
  • The Color Kittens
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Hairy Maclary's Showbusiness
  • Mother West Wind's Children
  • My Goodnight Book
  • I'll Fix Anthony
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • April Adventure (Calendar Mysteries, #4)
  • Frog on His Own
  • Clifford's Kitten
  • Julius (An I Can Read Book)
  • Valentine Mice!
  • Comet's Nine Lives
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin (Peter Rabbit)
  • The Tailor of Gloucester