Start by marking “Halloween Night (Point Horror)” as Want to Read:
Halloween Night (Point Horror)

Halloween Night (Point Horror)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  892 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Brenda hates her cousin Halley. And Brenda isn't the only one. Because Halley keeps stealing other people's boyfriends. So Brenda and her friends decide to plan the perfect murder. Something to go along with Brenda's perfect Halloween party.

Not that they're really going to kill anybody. It's just a joke.

Right?

Ha. Ha.
185 pages
Published September 1st 1993 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Halloween Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween Night

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzKristy's Great Idea by Ann M. MartinDouble Love by Francine PascalHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Young Adult Series Books published in the 80s & 90s
115th out of 560 books — 464 voters
Remember Me by Christopher PikeHalloween Party by R.L. StineScavenger Hunt by Christopher PikeDon't Stay Up Late by R.L. StineBad Dreams by R.L. Stine
Teen Screams
13th out of 103 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Donna
Jun 13, 2015 Donna rated it liked it
The thing about Stine’s characters is that they’re always really garish, nominally repugnant people. Super static, not much going for them beyond what’s on the page. Here we have Brenda who’s fueled by rage hate against her cousin because she moved in while her parents are getting a divorce and Brenda’s parents made her change rooms (one of many contrivances) and now Halley steals her clothes, her car, and her boyfriend. Does Brenda say any of this to her parents? Of course not because something ...more
Fay Roberts
There is absolutely nothing that makes Halloween Night distinguishable from the rest of the Point Horror series or even from R.L. Stine's Fear Street stories (unless you count the fact that the protagonist is called Brenda, which is pretty old fashioned even for the 90's).
Now don't get me wrong, the book is fine as it goes. The writing is clear, there are no gaping plot-holes, there's no gaps where a reader just has to take things on faith at the end - you know, when the Scooby Doo ending comes
Adam Holmes
Mar 05, 2015 Adam Holmes rated it it was amazing
i really like the R.L. Stine series.. for me being older than i use to be the goosebumps series doesn`t scare me anymore...lol. i read this book in about 1 hour which is nothing for a book that is worth 4 Accelerated Points. this books is about a group of gir;s that have a essay due in 3 weeks and it has to be Halloween related. so they decided to have a murder seen of their cousin halli and halli is a very rude person in the family and starts to destroy the family aprt.. will this end up being ...more
Leah
Sep 03, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teen fans of softcore dark fiction, fans of R.L. Stine's Fear Street books
Rating: 4 of 5

Halloween Night was among the many Point Horror books I read in the early 90s, between the ages of 12 to 15. In those days, when I wasn't buried in a Stephen King novel, nine times out of ten I was reading L.J. Smith, R.L. Stine, Christopher Pike, Caroline B. Cooney, or Richie Tankersley Cusick. Their novels always thrilled and entertained, and yes, there was a healthy dose of jumps and creepies.

Nowadays, I'd recommend the Point Horror books for younger 12- to 15-year-olds, who w
Brehona Yaniece
Nov 29, 2012 Brehona Yaniece rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl Name Brenda and her cousin Halley and she also has a little brother. Its the week of Halloween and thers been weird things going on in her house and around her. Halloween night is when everyting went wrong she was just looking out her window and out of no where a scary mask popped up and scared her half to death. She thought it was her cousin that played that trick on her but then she noticed that her window is to far up so how could her cousin or brother even do that t ...more
J.N.
Oct 31, 2011 J.N. rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Brenda is very upset that her cousin, Halley, who has come to stay with her family for a while, seems to be trying to take everything from Brenda away. First her room, then her clothes, and then Brenda's boyfriend? Halley has gone too far. Then someone keeps playing nasty pranks on Brenda, like messages written in blood on her wall or a dead, rotting bird in her jack-o-lantern. It's then that Brenda decides that Halley has to die--for real.

This book contained both books one and too. I have alwa
Sati Marie Frost
Spoilers abound for this book; it's too hard to review it without them. Also swearing. Sorry.

I originally gave this three stars, but had to go and change it to two, because I've been thinking about it this week, and it's been grating on me. I hate having to decrease a rating. Sigh.

I wanted to like this book so much. I ordered this and number two three years ago, having never read them in my younger years, and I was so excited. Halloween is my favourite time of year - one of my favourite things i
Michelle Toy
4 out of 5 Point Horror Book Stars!

(I rate these books compared to other Point Horror Books Only)

I read this as part of the #pointhorrorbookclub that I run monthly!

You can read the post here http://talesofyesterday.co.uk/2015/10...

This is more of a discussion than a review with highlighted areas of the book and has a comedy feel to the discussion to. Please be aware that as this is a discussion there will be spoilers.

Want to know more about #pointhorrorbookclub - check this out http://talesofye
Jeremy Stephens
Oct 05, 2012 Jeremy Stephens rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-of-2012
I never cared for the campy nature of R.L. Stien's novels. It has been many years since I last read one of these an I figured since Halloween is coming up, I'd try to revisit some of these cheesy books. Suffice to say, I still don't like these things.
Rainey
I had forgotten how much fun Mr. Stine's books tend to be. Not too long or particularly eloquent, but a smart thriller perfectly formulated for young teens!
Emma
Jul 14, 2008 Emma rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fiction
My mother was pretty adamant about not letting me read horror when I was younger...this just confirms that she needn't have bothered...
Alishia
Jan 07, 2015 Alishia rated it really liked it
R.L Stine does a great job writing books for young adults. This particular book is a pretty interesting concept, the characters in the story are actually writing a story about murder...making it a story with in a story.

Just like all R.L. Stine books, there are several characters that can be the main culprit and you will not know which one is actual "bad guy" until the end. Having read this story the first time when I was about 12, I can say it has held up through the years. Worth the read if yo
Eden
Mar 31, 2015 Eden rated it liked it
Brenda doesn't like her cousin Halley. In fact, she hates her. And she definitely isn't the only one. Halley keeps causing chaos, stealing boyfriends until she takes it just too far.

Before I write what I think, I want to warn everyone that there will be spoilers.

Halloween Night has some of what I've come to expect from R.L. Stine. It has the usual twists and the spookiness that made me want to keep reading to find out what happened next.

The book is from the perspective of Brenda, who is 16. I wo
Feb 24, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Halloween Night
The book Halloween Night is not one of the best books I have read, but the author R.L. Stine was good at keeping you on the edge of your seat. The book is a mystery about a girl who is jealous of her cousin that moved in with her and took her room away from her.
R.L. Stine is one of my favorite authors but this is not one of his best books out there. He didn’t finish the story but there is a sequel to it called Halloween Night 2 so maybe I will read this book for another book r
Katherine Gingrich
Jan 23, 2012 Katherine Gingrich rated it liked it
This book is fairly entertaing, but is fairly predictable. Brenda's cousin has moved in while her parents are going though a divorce and has taken over almost everything that Brenda cares about- her room, her clothes, her boyfriend so jokingly Brenda suggests to her friend that they should "murder" her. Originally, they meant having Halley, the cousin, be the inspiration for the victim, but things move from there.
In this book's favor is it addresses some of the difficulty on the children during
Glenda Yaksich
Jun 23, 2010 Glenda Yaksich rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor
After her cousin, Halley, moves into the house, all kinds of weird things begin to happen. Brenda finds her bedroom walls covered with threatening messages--written in blood! She discovers a beheaded bird on her dresser, and a scary mask taped to the window. But the worst of all is the rotten, maggot-covered meat in her bed! Brenda knows that Halley must be the one behind all the threats, but no one else can see it. After Halley steals Brenda’s boyfriend and crashes her car, Brenda decides to ta ...more
Ray`nee
Mar 03, 2016 Ray`nee rated it it was amazing
I like this book. The Story Circle did a good job playing this book out on Audio like it was a movie.
I listened to it over & over while following along.
Brenda hates her cousin Halley because Halley stole everything from her, her room, her boyfriend even her clothes.
Brenda decides to play a trick on Halley by plotting to murder her
I will not give away the end if but it's a shocker!
LittleDeadRedGoddess
Aug 20, 2014 LittleDeadRedGoddess rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
Okay I was not going to read a review but right now I am reading the second book in the series and after reading a good amount of R.L Stine books recently I really dislike the parents. The Dummy Goosebumps series suffered from the same thing. The parents never listen to the kids. In this Book Brenda is clearly having issues with her cousin. er cousin wrecks her car, steals her boyfriend and the parents feel sorry for her. Not their own daughter. It seems like in the RL Stine world parents are ne ...more
Mar 09, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I always love how Stine blatantly tells you who or what did it and yet one never seems to get it until the big reveal. His writing style has fascinated me from childhood to his books for adults!
Auggie
Feb 21, 2016 Auggie rated it liked it
Another re-read from my childhood. Much simpler plot than I remember, but better than a few of the others. Definitely still decent spooky reads for younger teens or pre-teens!
Arthur
Oct 15, 2014 Arthur rated it it was amazing
Spindling to its ending there was still a few clues to pick up on, then before the suspense concludes it becomes another one of RL Stine stories.
Alex
I thought I remembered this book, but not much seemed familiar. Still, this was a really fun read and perfect to set the Halloween mood!
Kirsty Hoggons
Feb 17, 2014 Kirsty Hoggons rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes teens reads
It was good for the kind of book that it was but it isn't the best book that I have read by this author.
Rhonda
Mar 23, 2015 Rhonda rated it liked it
Ran across some books from my childhood and decided to read them again. I think this is where my love of mysteries started. For the age group this was written for it was a good read. Definitely enjoyed this stroll down memory lane.
Adilson
Oct 03, 2014 Adilson rated it it was amazing
The book is great, it has some scary parts i like it because the trick was awesome
Emily
Jun 22, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Some bits made me sad, some bits made me angry, some bits made me horrified but most of all it entertained me. As soon as I read about 10 pages, it seems like you can't stop. I admit that if it wasn't for a recommendation, I would have probably never picked this up. Overall I thought it was neither good nor bad but it just seemed like one bad thing over another and it grew repetitive. However the contrast as to what went wrong is written beautifully and it truly made my emotions come out. So rea ...more
Evita Basil
Jan 24, 2016 Evita Basil rated it it was amazing
it was amazing plot twist was great!!!
Kiera Herr
Jan 16, 2016 Kiera Herr is currently reading it
My mate has read it so I want to
Carlos Tineo
Apr 05, 2015 Carlos Tineo rated it liked it
Honestly R.L., you've done so much better, the first part of the book was kind of weak but it was getting better by the half and the climax, then the ending... I knew that Dina bitch had something going on. The biggest disappointment here was that no one got murdered, come on Stine, you could have killed or at least severely injured someone...

Overall, a fun read as always.
Kiwi (krystal) Jonas
Feb 08, 2008 Kiwi (krystal) Jonas rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK SOOOO MUCH!!! It's a mystery book, it's about a girl planning to murder her cousin because she hates her cousin. Her cousin comes to live with her because her parents are fighting for who has custody over her (parents are getting divorced). My dad got it for me, and it has the 1st and 2nd. You should really read it. Mostly suspensful when you read it the first time. The second time around, it kind of spoils it because you know what's going to happen, but it's a really great book ...more
Aiossa's 14/15 Se...: Alex Gonzalez book review 3 1 3 Nov 08, 2012 03:18PM
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Camp Fear
  • Final Exam
  • Thirteen Again (Point Horror 13's)
  • The Phantom
  • The Bride
  • The Watcher
  • The Yearbook
  • The Diary
  • The Surfer
  • Thirteen More Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Prom Dress
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • The Baby-Sitter II (Point Horror, #17)
  • The Babysitter IV (The Baby-Sitter #4)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)