Start by marking “Dreamside” as Want to Read:
Dreamside

Dreamside

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  460 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Finally available in America: the debut novel from the author of The Tooth Fairy and Dark Sister

It began as an experiment in college--a seemingly harmless investigation into "lucid dreaming," the ability to control one's dreams.

But they stayed too long on Dreamside, and now, ten years later, the dreams have returned--returned to upend their adult lives. The dreams of yout
Published March 7th 2001 by Tom Doherty Associates (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dreamside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamside

Dean Tsang
Being a massive fan of lucid dreaming and everything to do with the subconscious, I picked up Dreamside expecting my mind to be absolutely blown away by the scary imagery, the ridiculously in-depth character background and how their individual relationships with each other.

Needless to say, I was rather underwhelmed. Joyce delivered a solid story with a decent plot and believable characters, but I felt that the dream imagery was rather underplayed. There were a fair amount of bizarre moments, and
Julia
Jan 26, 2009 Julia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: liberal magical-realists
Shelves: magical-realism
This was Joyce's first novel--it's a much slimmer volume than his better-known THE TOOTH FAIRY or REQUIEM. I nearly gave it two stars, since the final return to the "dreamside" was so outrageously extreme--but somehow this little book had some mesmerizing ideas. The concept of 4 people linked in lucid dreaming, under the guidance of a college professor, is an interesting one. At first it's miraculous for the whole group--but what they've done is peel back the covering of something dark and dange ...more
Kelly Truelove
Feb 01, 2016 Kelly Truelove rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of alternate reality, dream world-building and paranormal books
Shelves: favorites
This was a fantastic book that was finished way too soon in my opinion. I can't say enough about this book, so I'm going to keep this review minimal. I have a fascination with lucid dreaming, sleep studies, parallel realities, ghosts, haunted houses, and most things paranormal or otherworldly. If you enjoyed the psychology and fear aspect of the movie The Haunting (based on The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson) or if you're familiar with the "Brian" study that mass hypnosis/hysteria can ...more
Andrea Stephenson
Feb 04, 2015 Andrea Stephenson rated it really liked it
Four students engage in an experiment using lucid dreaming. But when the experiment ends, they continue the dreaming, with devastating consequences for them all. An interesting concept and a suspenseful, fast read.
David Manns
Graham Joyce was not an author I was aware of until Neil Gaiman tweeted about his untimely death. So I sought out this book, his first novel, since he seemed to operate in an area of fiction I like.

This is a story about lucid dreaming, the ability to control one's dreams consciously and even interact with other dreamers. Focussing on four students, Ella, Lee, Honora and Brad, who take part in a study on lucid dreaming run by a professor Burns in the 1970's, we follow their struggles to gain and
Jamie
Jun 04, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-lit, owned
Very interesting book. The beginning was slightly off-putting. The author's very clear vagueness of subjects and people to come was just a bit too obvious for me to start. He kept phrasing things like, "Who do you think it is, him or her?" when naturally, you'd have used names, especially repeatedly referencing these same people in this way. I almost put the book down because I worried the entire book would be written in this way. There was just no reason for it, really. In fact, it would have d ...more
Karen
Oct 04, 2010 Karen rated it liked it
This wasn't a bad book, I just wish there were more things happening. It felt almost like just an overview...it also reminded me of a Nighmare on Elm Street movie. Except for the killing...lol!

4 college students participate in an experiment regarding dreams in 1976. It is about "lucid dreaming" and how far they can go in controlling their dreams.

They end up getting pretty far, but when the professor dies he tells them to stop with the experiments. Unfortunately they do not stop and this leads to
Rebecca Schwarz
Jun 02, 2014 Rebecca Schwarz rated it liked it
Apparently this was Joyce's first novel, and it is a solid first effort. Ultimately it falls short. The characters were engaging but the plot struggled to gel in the final quarter of the book and the ending felt both vague and a little contrived. At around 250 pages it's the perfect size for a light, stand-alone novel IMHO, and it kept me reading until the end.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Apr 21, 2013 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jayaprakash by: jayaprakash@gmail.com
Shelves: fantasy
This does have its share of first novel flaws, but the concept is fascinating, the forays into the dreamworld are interesting - they're fairly straightforward in the early parts where the main characters are college kids trying out their chops, and then become more intense as their mentor guided their lucid dreaming. What with raging hormones and all they spend a lot of their time having sex, or trying to. I think this is realistic given the dynamics of this group, and what they do sows the seed ...more
Oct 25, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2008
Finished this one up the other day and really liked it. Interesting premise. If there's one thing I've learned from reading fiction (and watching movies) it's not to muck about with dreams. (Well, that and if you're inside and the axe-wielding maniac is coming after you, for the love of the gods, don't run upstairs. That's just stupid. Oh, and don't EVER assume the bad guy is dead. They're always just faking it the first time. But I digress.) I found the characters interesting -- at first I was ...more
Michelle
Jul 17, 2008 Michelle rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: lucid dreamers
I had a very high expectation of this book since the plot sounds unique and intriguing.

I was however disappointed on how it turned out. The characters being not so developed, the plot loose and the ending-- so much inconclusive.

Joyce knows how to build up suspense and was able to send me chills on the part where they had to go bak to the dreamside. However it appears to me that she doesn't know how to conclude it. The ending was the biggest letdown--it sounded abrupt-like she just lost interest
Terry Mark
Feb 08, 2014 Terry Mark rated it it was amazing
I have a real interest in dreaming and dreaming has taken me to some amazing places and has given me some experiences I'll never forget so this book was particularly apt for me personally. It really did make me shiver at certain times and really draws you in which I love in a book.
Alex S
Aug 20, 2014 Alex S rated it it was amazing
An astoundingly good read - engaging, compelling and tense. One of the best, if not the best book that I've read that deals with manipulating the dream world. Haunting stuff.
John Bennett
A tale of lucid dreaming where four college students face the impact of dreams returning to cross over and affect their real lives - 13-years after the group had separated. I enjoyed it, but think the author's later works easier reads.
Christopher Roden
Jan 12, 2013 Christopher Roden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Graham Joyce's first novel, and I read it in the eBook format, which isn`t yet listed by Goodreads. The eBook version suffers just a little from poor formatting . . . and lapses in proofing, I`m sorry to say . . . but nonethelesss, one is left feeling that if a fraction of first novels lived up to the standard od Dreamside the reading world would be a happier place.

Highly recommended. Try the eBook version if you can. Joyce`s afterword, written in November 2012, really puts things into p
Nev Percy
Feb 24, 2014 Nev Percy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lots of people, including lately our book club
Recommended to Nev by: My younger (undergraduate) self
Shelves: book-club, horror
I put this forward as a book club book in slight transgression of the aim to read things none of us have read before, but as a favourite I haven't opened for many years. I was a bit nervous about it, but I'm a few pages in and feeling much reassured.

And whaddyaknow? It was the only paper Simon Jones had on him when he bumped into Vic Reeves, so my copy contains a celebrity autograph (unrelated to the book).
Sarah Hurd
Apr 11, 2011 Sarah Hurd rated it really liked it
I actually bought this book at a dollar store. I really enjoyed reading it, and it's one of the books I will forever call a favorite. It's topic is one that has always interested me and the author puts a nice fiction/horror type twist on it.

I gave it 4 stars because it starts to get a little..weird...towards the end lol. Other than that it's pretty great.
Amy
Oct 29, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I'd really like to give this 3.5 stars. I love Graham Joyce's novels and have become a big fan over the last year. This one has a great story and very interesting characters. My reasoning for the rating is that it is uneven and needed some editing to help it flow better. Other than that, it is a great, creepy read and I recommend it.
Twohundredandtwentyonebooks
Apr 10, 2012 Twohundredandtwentyonebooks rated it liked it
Shelves: dreams
The beginning had some fairly bad writing but the concept is interesting. If I've learned anything about dreams from book and movies is that you never crew around with them, things will alway get out of control. I didn't have very high expectation but it wasn't that bad overall. Couldn't decide if I give it 3 or 4 stars, more of a 3.5
Derek G
May 29, 2013 Derek G rated it really liked it
Captivating and sometimes terrifying until the end, which didn't make sense to me, so it wasn't satisfying. The rest of it, however, was so good the I still recommend it. Maybe the ending will work for you.

I am eager to read more by this author, especially "Some Kind of a Fairy Tale" which I will begin tonight.
Elizabeth Hunter
Nov 27, 2010 Elizabeth Hunter rated it liked it
Having loved The Facts of Life I went looking for more of Joyce's work and realized that I read his first novel a few years ago. I remember it as being good without really engaging me and a little darker than The Facts of Life.
krin
Dec 05, 2009 krin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting look at lucid dreams and what happens when dreams invade reality. I like the interactions between the characters as they struggle to understand what happened years ago.
Terra Bosart
Jun 06, 2009 Terra Bosart rated it really liked it
A suspenseful look at dreams and our psychic connections in them. If a crime is committed in a dream, what are the effects on the waking world? A short, but gripping and intelligent book.
Crystal
Dec 30, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I have read it like 3 times. If you have vivid dreams this would be an interesting book for you to check out. I always get very caught up in it.
Ann
Dec 09, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
interesting read..somewhat predicatable ...but joyce always captures my attention..love to ponder the collective unconscious and astral projection.
Stella
Jun 18, 2015 Stella rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
Another dark tale...
James Brogden
Jun 10, 2013 James Brogden rated it it was amazing
The definitive paranormal novel about lucid dreaming and the things that dreamers sometimes bring back with them.
Gem
Apr 19, 2009 Gem rated it did not like it
this book is messed up there is no fantasy. the charaters sucked and the story was boring
Tracey
May 03, 2013 Tracey rated it it was ok
Early Graham Joyce it's just not all that great. His newer fiction is markedly better.
Michael Vielhaber
Mar 24, 2008 Michael Vielhaber rated it really liked it
Hast du schon einmal versucht im Traum deine Hand anzusehen? Reinventing sleep!!!
  • The Nature of Balance
  • Slights
  • The Bones of Time
  • Map of Dreams
  • The Wall of the Sky, the Wall of the Eye
  • Miss Bianca in the Orient (The Rescuers, #5)
  • From a Whisper to a Scream (Newford)
  • The Broken Kings (The Merlin Codex, Book 3)
  • Symphony
  • Whispers in the Dark
  • Tomorrow's Magic
  • Sleeping in Flame (Answered Prayers, #2)
  • A Year In The Linear City
  • Hill of Dreams
Graham Joyce (22 October 1954 – 9 September 2014) was an English writer of speculative fiction and the recipient of numerous awards for both his novels and short stories.

After receiving a B.Ed. from Bishop Lonsdale College in 1977 and a M.A. from the University of Leicester in 1980. Joyce worked as a youth officer for the National Association of Youth Clubs until 1988. He subsequently quit his po
More about Graham Joyce...