Start by marking “Dreamside” as Want to Read:
Dreamside

Dreamside

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Finally available in America: the debut novel from the author of The Tooth Fairy and Dark Sister

It began as an experiment in college--a seemingly harmless investigation into "lucid dreaming," the ability to control one's dreams.

But they stayed too long on Dreamside, and now, ten years later, the dreams have returned--returned to upend their adult lives. The dreams of yout...more
Published March 7th 2001 by Tom Doherty Associates (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dreamside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamside

Dean Tsang
Being a massive fan of lucid dreaming and everything to do with the subconscious, I picked up Dreamside expecting my mind to be absolutely blown away by the scary imagery, the ridiculously in-depth character background and how their individual relationships with each other.

Needless to say, I was rather underwhelmed. Joyce delivered a solid story with a decent plot and believable characters, but I felt that the dream imagery was rather underplayed. There were a fair amount of bizarre moments, and...more
Julia
Jan 26, 2009 Julia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: liberal magical-realists
Shelves: magical-realism
This was Joyce's first novel--it's a much slimmer volume than his better-known THE TOOTH FAIRY or REQUIEM. I nearly gave it two stars, since the final return to the "dreamside" was so outrageously extreme--but somehow this little book had some mesmerizing ideas. The concept of 4 people linked in lucid dreaming, under the guidance of a college professor, is an interesting one. At first it's miraculous for the whole group--but what they've done is peel back the covering of something dark and dange...more
Jamie
Very interesting book. The beginning was slightly off-putting. The author's very clear vagueness of subjects and people to come was just a bit too obvious for me to start. He kept phrasing things like, "Who do you think it is, him or her?" when naturally, you'd have used names, especially repeatedly referencing these same people in this way. I almost put the book down because I worried the entire book would be written in this way. There was just no reason for it, really. In fact, it would have d...more
Karen
This wasn't a bad book, I just wish there were more things happening. It felt almost like just an overview...it also reminded me of a Nighmare on Elm Street movie. Except for the killing...lol!

4 college students participate in an experiment regarding dreams in 1976. It is about "lucid dreaming" and how far they can go in controlling their dreams.

They end up getting pretty far, but when the professor dies he tells them to stop with the experiments. Unfortunately they do not stop and this leads to...more
Rebecca Schwarz
Apparently this was Joyce's first novel, and it is a solid first effort. Ultimately it falls short. The characters were engaging but the plot struggled to gel in the final quarter of the book and the ending felt both vague and a little contrived. At around 250 pages it's the perfect size for a light, stand-alone novel IMHO, and it kept me reading until the end.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Apr 21, 2013 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jayaprakash by: jayaprakash@gmail.com
Shelves: fantasy
This does have its share of first novel flaws, but the concept is fascinating, the forays into the dreamworld are interesting - they're fairly straightforward in the early parts where the main characters are college kids trying out their chops, and then become more intense as their mentor guided their lucid dreaming. What with raging hormones and all they spend a lot of their time having sex, or trying to. I think this is realistic given the dynamics of this group, and what they do sows the seed...more
Finished this one up the other day and really liked it. Interesting premise. If there's one thing I've learned from reading fiction (and watching movies) it's not to muck about with dreams. (Well, that and if you're inside and the axe-wielding maniac is coming after you, for the love of the gods, don't run upstairs. That's just stupid. Oh, and don't EVER assume the bad guy is dead. They're always just faking it the first time. But I digress.) I found the characters interesting -- at first I was...more
Michelle
Jul 17, 2008 Michelle rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lucid dreamers
I had a very high expectation of this book since the plot sounds unique and intriguing.

I was however disappointed on how it turned out. The characters being not so developed, the plot loose and the ending-- so much inconclusive.

Joyce knows how to build up suspense and was able to send me chills on the part where they had to go bak to the dreamside. However it appears to me that she doesn't know how to conclude it. The ending was the biggest letdown--it sounded abrupt-like she just lost interest...more
Terry Mark
I have a real interest in dreaming and dreaming has taken me to some amazing places and has given me some experiences I'll never forget so this book was particularly apt for me personally. It really did make me shiver at certain times and really draws you in which I love in a book.
Scifireader
An astoundingly good read - engaging, compelling and tense. One of the best, if not the best book that I've read that deals with manipulating the dream world. Haunting stuff.
Christopher Roden
This is Graham Joyce's first novel, and I read it in the eBook format, which isn`t yet listed by Goodreads. The eBook version suffers just a little from poor formatting . . . and lapses in proofing, I`m sorry to say . . . but nonethelesss, one is left feeling that if a fraction of first novels lived up to the standard od Dreamside the reading world would be a happier place.

Highly recommended. Try the eBook version if you can. Joyce`s afterword, written in November 2012, really puts things into p...more
Nev Percy
Feb 24, 2014 Nev Percy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lots of people, including lately our book club
Recommended to Nev by: My younger (undergraduate) self
Shelves: book-club, horror
I put this forward as a book club book in slight transgression of the aim to read things none of us have read before, but as a favourite I haven't opened for many years. I was a bit nervous about it, but I'm a few pages in and feeling much reassured.

And whaddyaknow? It was the only paper Simon Jones had on him when he bumped into Vic Reeves, so my copy contains a celebrity autograph (unrelated to the book).
Kelly Truelove
Jan 06, 2013 Kelly Truelove rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of alternate reality, dream world-building and paranormal books
Shelves: favorites
This was a fantastic book. I felt that the ending wrapped up a bit too neatly, but this was definitely a book that kept me turning pages while trying to figure out what was dream and what, if anything, was reality. I love to read about dream worlds, ESP, Psychics, and pretty much anything paranormal, so this was right up my alley. This was a great book that was finished way too soon in my opinion.
Sarah Hurd
I actually bought this book at a dollar store. I really enjoyed reading it, and it's one of the books I will forever call a favorite. It's topic is one that has always interested me and the author puts a nice fiction/horror type twist on it.

I gave it 4 stars because it starts to get a little..weird...towards the end lol. Other than that it's pretty great.
Twohundredandtwentyonebooks
The beginning had some fairly bad writing but the concept is interesting. If I've learned anything about dreams from book and movies is that you never crew around with them, things will alway get out of control. I didn't have very high expectation but it wasn't that bad overall. Couldn't decide if I give it 3 or 4 stars, more of a 3.5
Derek G
Captivating and sometimes terrifying until the end, which didn't make sense to me, so it wasn't satisfying. The rest of it, however, was so good the I still recommend it. Maybe the ending will work for you.

I am eager to read more by this author, especially "Some Kind of a Fairy Tale" which I will begin tonight.
Elizabeth Hunter
Having loved The Facts of Life I went looking for more of Joyce's work and realized that I read his first novel a few years ago. I remember it as being good without really engaging me and a little darker than The Facts of Life.
krin
This book was an interesting look at lucid dreams and what happens when dreams invade reality. I like the interactions between the characters as they struggle to understand what happened years ago.
Terra Bosart
A suspenseful look at dreams and our psychic connections in them. If a crime is committed in a dream, what are the effects on the waking world? A short, but gripping and intelligent book.
Crystal
I really enjoyed this book. I have read it like 3 times. If you have vivid dreams this would be an interesting book for you to check out. I always get very caught up in it.
Ann
interesting read..somewhat predicatable ...but joyce always captures my attention..love to ponder the collective unconscious and astral projection.
James Brogden
The definitive paranormal novel about lucid dreaming and the things that dreamers sometimes bring back with them.
Gem
this book is messed up there is no fantasy. the charaters sucked and the story was boring
Tracey
Early Graham Joyce it's just not all that great. His newer fiction is markedly better.
Michael Vielhaber
Hast du schon einmal versucht im Traum deine Hand anzusehen? Reinventing sleep!!!
Trunatrschild
What happens when you experiment in the occult. Things are out there. Waiting.
Sara Leigh
Sara Leigh marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Jamie
Jamie added it
Oct 15, 2014
  • The Infinite Library
  • Shriek: An Afterword (Ambergris, #2)
  • Ami, el niño de las estrellas
  • The Empire of Ice Cream
  • The Wall of the Sky, the Wall of the Eye
  • Der Nachtwandler
  • Waking the Moon
  • Skin
  • The Divinity Student
  • Heart-Beast
  • Map of Dreams
  • Sinai Tapestry (The Jerusalem Quartet, #1)
  • Fairy Tales in Electri-City
  • The Open Curtain
  • The Arabian Nightmare
  • Water Witch
  • Daring Masquerade
  • Trouble and Her Friends
Graham Joyce (22 October 1954 – 9 September 2014) was an English writer of speculative fiction and the recipient of numerous awards for both his novels and short stories.

After receiving a B.Ed. from Bishop Lonsdale College in 1977 and a M.A. from the University of Leicester in 1980. Joyce worked as a youth officer for the National Association of Youth Clubs until 1988. He subsequently quit his po...more
More about Graham Joyce...
Some Kind of Fairy Tale The Silent Land The Tooth Fairy Dark Sister The Facts of Life