Start by marking “Fancy Nancy at the Museum” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy at the Museum

Fancy Nancy at the Museum (Fancy Nancy)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,480 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Nancy's class is going on a trip to the museum, and Nancy wants to be extra fancy for the occasion. After a bumpy bus ride, she doesn't feel very well. Luckily for Nancy, her teacher, Ms. Glass, has a few fancy tricks of her own. Nothing can keep Nancy from making this trip magnifique! (That's a fancy French word for great!)
Published February 5th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy at the Museum, please sign up.

Jeepz
Mar 25, 2009 Jeepz rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, from-library
M seems to really enjoy this book, but as a Firs Reader book, it has some pretty difficult words in it. That's not to say it's not good, it is. The story is fun, and M likes hearing the big fancy words and the bits of French (merci!) that get sprinkled throughout. It's a fun read and easy enough to explain the fancy words, I just think she'll learn more of the words in this book through listening and looking at the words and memorizing rather than sounding them out on her own. Not a bad thing, j ...more
Maddie Watson
"Fancy Nancy at the Museum" by Jane O'Connor tells the story of a young and very stylish girl names Nancy. Nancy enlightens her audience with fancy vocabulary and how to use it and what it means. Nancy is very excited for a trip when unfortunately she and her friend get stomach aches and Nancy gets sick. Thankfully Nancy has a great teacher, Ms. Glass, who knows just the trick to making her feel better and still enjoy the class field trip to the art museum.

What I enjoyed about this book were a c
Courtney
many students love the Fancy Nacy picture books. This is an early reader version where Nancy goes to the museum. While I think children that grow up reading the picture will be draw to this book, I do not think this is the best early reader book. Some of the words in the first couple of pages are difficult and I feel the storyline is weak
Ethan Gilmore
Aug 15, 2008 Ethan Gilmore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it teaches me "fancy" words and all about museums.
Angela Hutchinson
Nancy goes on a class trip to an art museum. Nancy gets sick after she eats her lunch and her friends lunch which ruins her outfit. When the class gets to the museum, her teacher takes her into the bathroom and fixes her up in a new outfit. As Nancy walks around the museum, she points out words that are normally linked to art. In this book, when Nancy says a words she describes what that words is. This is a great book for young readers that are learning new words.
Cathy
Jul 01, 2015 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Mixed feelings on the Fancy Nancy series of books. On the plus side, the series contains intricate and beautiful illustrations, and I love any book that aspires to raise the vocabulary bar for children. On the other hand, I'm not a huge fan of Nancy - the adjective prissy comes to mind - but she is unabashedly a girly girl who appeals to young girls of a certain age.
Dec 02, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual we found a fun Fancy Nancy book we love - even though E is only 2.5. We like going to museums too, so it was fun to see one of our favorite characters doing something we enjoy too. Afterward E was inspired to make her own masterpiece, and what beautiful scribbles they are <3
M Lee
Jun 28, 2015 M Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fancy Nancy was on a school trip to the museum. She ate too much and fell sick, but managed to recover and enjoy the trip.

Enjoyable story that kids can learn about different types of paintings and relate to their own drawings.
Rosa Cline
Apr 08, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
In this book Nancy and her class to go a local museum to see art work. On the way there, though she gets car sick but her teacher helps her and even gives her her smock to wear. This was a cute simple book.
Kaitlin
Oct 27, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andrew, read-in-2015
I love the use of bigger words, then the explanation of them right after. My son enjoyed the colorful clothes everyone was wearing.
Kathryn
Jan 30, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My three year old daughter seems to love fancy Nancy. So does my 4 year old son. Excellent stories and fancy Nancy does a great job teaching fancy new words.
Holly Letson
I noticed that Nancy changed her favorite color from fuschia to lavender in this story.
Ashley
Jul 15, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is great for teaching children different types of art. It is a cute book.
Dolly
Sep 27, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is another fun book from Fancy Nancy. Even though she gets sick on the way to the museum field trip, she still has a wonderful time, thanks to her teacher. She learns a lot about art and shares some fancy words. This is a good book to read aloud together and although the narrative is fairly simple, it introduces some more advanced words.

We've borrowed this one a couple of times and we enjoyed following along with the book as we listened to the book narrated on CD (ISBN 9780061706585).
Kelly Thevenot
Fancy Nancy at the Museum is an appropriate book for a first grade level. The sentences are short so young children can read the text better. This book uses fancy words such as gallery for museum and others. Its neat because it includes the meanings in the text. The book also uses French as a foreign language. Words like Merci. Children can learn some french words, while enjoying the book. I would use this in a lesson to teach about museums, or I will read it before we take a trip to a museum.
Kathy
Fancy Nancy goes with her class on a field trip to the art museum. She dresses up very fancy and encounters some strange new words, all of which are defined in the story and at the end. So its really no trouble reading the extra-fancy words! A Beginning Level 1 book from the I Can Read series, but with some extra oomph that makes it more fun. See also Fancy Nancy and the Boy from Paris about a new boy in her class that she befriends and eagerly tries to talk about France with.

Vanessa Green
Jul 16, 2011 Vanessa Green rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ls-5360
Nancy is a vivacious little girl that like to do things in a "fancy" way-from her clothing to her language. This is an entertaining book for young girls up to the third or maybe the fourth grade. It lends itself to vocabulary building by adding "fancy" words with explanations in the text. It is told in a manner that makes you think Nancy is talking directly to you. Given that this is one book in a large series, I would add this to my library if I were in an elementary setting.
Maria
Oct 13, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This woman who used to work with me is named Nancy....so I bought this book for her because well..her name is Nancy and she worked at a museum. She laughed and found it very sweet.I even signed it for her... I just wanted her to have something to remember me by and her experience at the museum. Some people you just meet on a whim..and they become more to you than you would expect. Then they leave. Taught me to hold onto a good thing while I could.
Elizabeth
Fancy Nancy is going to the museum. She looks extra special. But, on the way to the museum Nancy gets sick and she doesn't look too fancy any more. When they get to the museum Ms. Glass gives Nancy her shirt and hat so Nancy looks fancy again. They enjoy the museum with all the masterpieces, landscapes, still lifes, and portraits. When Nancy gets home she makes Ms. Glass a painting to say thank you.
Angie
Jun 20, 2010 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 16-year old daughter still likes me to read picture books to her sometimes! We loved this one as we love all of the Fancy Nancy books, but the comment my daughter made was that she loves how they are teaching you about things, in this case the museum and painting, which is so true. A++
Rachelle
Dec 11, 2011 Rachelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This was the 1st book that I purchased for my daughter, Bella, in the Fancy Nancy series...She was 6 at the time...We were huge fans from the very 1st page...Now we have every book in the series!!! Jane O'Connor is the BEST author by FAR in regards to children's books...She is BRILLIANT!!!!
Rebekah
While the text might be O'Connor's, it doesn't read the same in the I Can Read format as the regular Fancy Nancy stories. It doesn't have the same character and fun, fancy style. Also, the cover art is by Glassner but inside it's "inspired by" and also doesn't have the same quality.
Amalia Ricksecker
PB 15:
I really enjoy the Fancy Nancy books. I think that they are great for teaching young readers bigger words naturally and in a way they enjoy! I think what really sells me on these books is how much Bella really loves them as well. They make pretty good read alouds too!
Alice
Apr 16, 2012 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Museum is so Fancy. I just like Fancy Nancy even when she eats two lunches, gets sick on the bus and soils her dress (LOL)! This is an early reader with simple sentences and some fancy words. There is also a glossary at the end to explain some of the fancy words!
Nancy Jo Lambert
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Jan 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, read-aloud
This is a fantasic book if the class is about to go on a field trip to the museum. It teaches about what a museum is and what you do at a museum. It also contains some historical people/things in the pictures so you could also talk about that.
Shelli
Mar 07, 2015 Shelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This I Can Read Fancy Nancy series is perfect for young students to practice their reading skills and boost their confidence by practicing many sight and easy to sound out words, while enjoying a fun story.
Heidi
Nancy reaching out to beginning readers--very nice. Especially as there is a word list (with pronunciations) in the back. A bit more of a story to this one. Not bad. Not best thing ever. But that's just me, I suppose.
Deanna
Feb 11, 2011 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I love these Fancy Nancy books! Mostly because they are real. Disappointments occur, but, it's not the end of the world. Things still work out. I love that message for kids. And I love the vocab building.
Ariell
These are pretty cute books. They remind me of my daughter. So very girlie. I like how she is always introducing new words and defining them for the kids in simple language so children can understand.
  • The Pinkerrific Playdate
  • Biscuit and the Little Pup
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Big Sleepover (Henry and Mudge, #28)
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • Going to the Firehouse
  • Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy
  • Kingdom of Color (Disney Tangled)
  • Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books(R))
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas