Start by marking “The Night Child” as Want to Read:
The Night Child

The Night Child

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Boldly trading the stuffy drawing rooms of fashionable Boston for the darkly majestic wilderness of the rugged north country, Brandy Claybourne comes to Maine in the years following the Civil War, an idealistic young teacher in search of a new life. Here she meets Grey King, head of a vast shipping empire and arrogant master of King's Inland, a man marked by dark rumors an ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 225 pages
Published February 1st 1986 by Bantam (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Child

Misfit
Brandy Claybourne, raised in Old California, is a bit too free of spirit for the stuffy Boston school she teaches at and loses her position. Wealthy entrepreneur Grey King hires Brandy to help his daughter, who has drawn into her own shell of a world after witnessing her mother's horrifying death. Once at Grey's Maine estate, Brandy is attracted to Grey (there's a surprise), as well as his bit of a rake younger brother.

As Missy comes out of her shadows during the daytime, Brandy experiences som
William
Nov 19, 2015 William rated it really liked it
In this early novel, Celeste De Blasis takes the traditional Gothic format of the 1960s–70s and gives it a fresh take due to her overlaying the familiar governess-in-a-mysterious-house plot with a fresh, independent, smart and thoroughly modern heroine Brandy, as well as a charge who displays some, if not all, traits of autism. Based on the author's research into what was once a misunderstood, little-known diagnosis, "The Night Child" moves along briskly, packing an emotional wallops as it appro ...more
Trisha
Inhoud:
Wanneer een Amerikaanse gouvernante na de Burgeroorlog probeert te ontdekken waardoor haar vijfjarige pupil niet spreekt, zet ze haar eigen leven op het spel.

Het is 1869. Brenda Claybourne, een jonge, onstuimige lerares, dient woedend haar ontslag in bij de ouderwetse directeur van een strenge kostschool in Boston.
Gelukkig vindt ze al snel een nieuwe baan, als gouvernante van het vijfjarige dochtertje van de arrogante Grey King.

Grey, heer en meester van een afgelegen landhuis in de ruige
Maren
Jul 16, 2016 Maren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
NOPE. Nope nope nope nope. This was really not okay. I don't care how old-fashioned this is supposed to be. If you like books in which murdering your wife because she was cheating on you is perfectly acceptable and raping someone is just a "bad start of the relationship", then this is for you!!
Theresa Eaman
Sep 09, 2014 Theresa Eaman rated it really liked it
I read it when I was fairly young and it really stuck with me. later on in life the title came back to me and it was able to locate a copy. I found I still enjoyed it as much as the first time.
Kathy
Jun 18, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Celeste's first book. David read it in manuscript form before his death and assured her that it would "be a book" and that she would be a successful author. That gave Celeste great joy. My college research on Autism helped form the primary character and I was so proud to see my name in print for the first time. It is a gothic novel and a fun read.

Celeste and I shared a very special friendship after meeting at Oregon State in the late 60's. I miss her very much and I especially miss all of the bo
Amy
Sep 11, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
This is one of the first books I clearly remember reading. I reread it a few years ago and it was a trip down memory lane - otherwise it probably wouldn't have held my interest. It's decently written, but pretty dramatic. Also, without spoiling anything... one of the main characters commits what I consider an unforgiveable act, but it's pretty much just blown off. Reading it now as an adult, that really spoils the whole thing for me.
Teea
Jul 19, 2010 Teea rated it it was ok
Shelves: chic-lit
Meh. I really felt no connection to these characters. I also find it very difficult fall in love with the hero when he RAPES the heroine.
Jessica
Jul 21, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
I read this book in my early adult life, it's one of the few I remember reading more than once and stuck with me.
Chris
Ned. Titel: en haar stem verbrak de stilte
Sue
Sue added it
Jul 30, 2016
Tammy Brown
Tammy Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Kathryn Fessia
Kathryn Fessia rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Anouk
Anouk rated it it was ok
May 28, 2016
Jeani
Jeani rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Judith Dasher
Judith Dasher rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Lindsey Spear
Lindsey Spear rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
S U
S U is currently reading it
May 13, 2016
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Naksed
Naksed marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Debbi
Debbi marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Rosamariepierce
Rosamariepierce marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Lori
Lori added it
Feb 24, 2016
Naima Azaly
Naima Azaly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Heritage of Shadows
  • The Haunting of Gad's Hall (Gad's Hall, #2)
  • False Accusations
  • Moura
  • Lovers Forever
  • Secret Admirer
  • Call in the Night
  • Sleep In The Woods
  • Dark Masquerade (Classic Gothics Collection Book 3)
  • Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)
  • Mystery of the Witches' Bridge
  • Skye Cameron
Celeste N. De Blasis was a successful American writer of historical-romance novels. She grew up on the Kemper Campbell Ranch in Victorville, California, in the high Mojave Desert. She attended Wellesley College, later transferred to Oregon State University, and in 1968 graduated from Pomona College, near her home. She continued to live on the ranch until her death.

In 1969 De Blasis received the So
More about Celeste De Blasis...