The Night Child

The Night Child

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Boldly trading the stuffy drawing rooms of fashionable Boston for the darkly majestic wilderness of the rugged north country, Brandy Claybourne comes to Maine in the years following the Civil War, an idealistic young teacher in search of a new life. Here she meets Grey King, head of a vast shipping empire and arrogant master of King's Inland, a man marked by dark rumors an...more
Mass Market Paperback, 225 pages
Published February 1st 1986 by Bantam (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Child

Misfit
Brandy Claybourne, raised in Old California, is a bit too free of spirit for the stuffy Boston school she teaches at and loses her position. Wealthy entrepreneur Grey King hires Brandy to help his daughter, who has drawn into her own shell of a world after witnessing her mother's horrifying death. Once at Grey's Maine estate, Brandy is attracted to Grey (there's a surprise), as well as his bit of a rake younger brother.

As Missy comes out of her shadows during the daytime, Brandy experiences som...more
Kathy
Celeste's first book. David read it in manuscript form before his death and assured her that it would "be a book" and that she would be a successful author. That gave Celeste great joy. My college research on Autism helped form the primary character and I was so proud to see my name in print for the first time. It is a gothic novel and a fun read.

Celeste and I shared a very special friendship after meeting at Oregon State in the late 60's. I miss her very much and I especially miss all of the bo...more
Amy
This is one of the first books I clearly remember reading. I reread it a few years ago and it was a trip down memory lane - otherwise it probably wouldn't have held my interest. It's decently written, but pretty dramatic. Also, without spoiling anything... one of the main characters commits what I consider an unforgiveable act, but it's pretty much just blown off. Reading it now as an adult, that really spoils the whole thing for me.
Teea
Meh. I really felt no connection to these characters. I also find it very difficult fall in love with the hero when he RAPES the heroine.
Jessica
I read this book in my early adult life, it's one of the few I remember reading more than once and stuck with me.
Chris
Ned. Titel: en haar stem verbrak de stilte
Meredith Williams
Meredith Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Pat
Pat added it
Jul 29, 2014
Sue Michaels
Sue Michaels marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Midalis Douglas
Midalis Douglas marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Teresa Burchett
Teresa Burchett marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Jun 03, 2014
Martha
Martha added it
Jun 02, 2014
Le Anne
Le Anne marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Linda
Linda added it
Apr 24, 2014
Melanie Caywood
Melanie Caywood marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Bonnie Seiwell
Bonnie Seiwell marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Celeste N. De Blasis was a successful American writer of historical-romance novels. She grew up on the Kemper Campbell Ranch in Victorville, California, in the high Mojave Desert. She attended Wellesley College, later transferred to Oregon State University, and in 1968 graduated from Pomona College, near her home. She continued to live on the ranch until her death.

In 1969 De Blasis received the So...more
More about Celeste De Blasis...
Wild Swan (Wild Swan Trilogy, #1) The Proud Breed Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2) A Season of Swans (Wild Swan Trilogy, #3) The Tiger's Woman