Start by marking “Die Saga Von Darwath 2. Die Odyssee Des Eisfalken” as Want to Read:
Die Saga Von Darwath 2. Die Odyssee Des Eisfalken

Die Saga Von Darwath 2. Die Odyssee Des Eisfalken (Darwath #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,054 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Three thousand years before, the monstrous Dark had sprung from loathsome underground lairs to destroy most of humanity. Now they were again ravening and ruining in their blood-hunger. Only a few thousand people had managed to find refuge in the ancient fortress Keep of Renweth.
There, even the magic of the wizard Ingold Inglorion could offer them little hope against the Da
Published (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Die Saga Von Darwath 2. Die Odyssee Des Eisfalken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Saga Von Darwath 2. Die Odyssee Des Eisfalken

Bibliophile
I'm loving this old fantasy series I stumbled upon. In this second book Ingold and Rudy set off to the city of Quo to get help against the Dark ones. For a couple of wizards, they sure have to put up with a lot of shit on the way. I like that they're not able to solve every problem with magic, but you'd think they'd device some spells to ward off hungry neanderthals and dragons.

Meanwhile Gil, now part of the royal guard, stays on at the Keep and buddies it up with Queen Alde. Gil still identifi
Kate
I first read this series in (cough) 1986 at the age of 14 or so and it gripped me and scared me witless in equal measures. Rereading it as an adult, it doesn't scare me quite as much, but it's still a wonderful series with well drawn characters including one of the best gandalf-type wizards in contemporary fantasy, all the better because he is NOT infallible.

I think one of the best dynamics in this particular world is the uneasy relationship between the church and the wizard community and the wa
Ambre
I read this series from start to finish without putting it down. That really says it all in terms of the pacing and suspense elements. As a thriller, this is a 5 star book.

The weakness to me lies in the character development, specifically in the romances. They are not really central to the series, but apparentlyare required elements, so they are there. To me, they don't really work. In writing, for a romantic relationship to work, the characters need chemistry. Just saying that they get a jolt w
Rebecca
This is the second book in a series with all that usually entails -- its primary use is a bridge, I suspect. There is a great deal of traveling from one location to another, lots of studying and exploring and question-answering, with occasional instances of action. So in that respect, it is fairly standard.

But it's written by Barbara Hambly, and she continues to provide writing that is exceptional in its readability hand-in-hand with characters (and a world) that are complex and easy to love.

A
Sineala
It's rare that I like the second book of a trilogy more than the first, but I suppose that The Walls of Air here is an exception -- I almost considered giving up after the first book. Oh, I liked the characters and the worldbuilding well enough, because Hambly is always good at that, but the plot seemed to meander and I felt like I wasn't quite invested enough in where it was going.

This book basically hands you all the investment. It's a quest story, split two ways -- Rudy and the wizard Ingold
William Leight
"The Walls of Air" is perhaps a slight letdown from "The Time of the Dark", mostly because it's a transitional book: we're given hints -- in particular about the origins of the Keep and the magical engineering that keeps it going, the possible relation between the Dark and wizardry, and the nature of the Dark -- but we're clearly being set up to be given the big revelations in the 3rd book, when presumably the Dark will be defeated and all will be well. Mostly "The Walls of Air" allows us to see ...more
Julie Davis
You can't stop at just one. One of the trilogy, that is. Having picked up The Time of the Dark after many years' absence, I plunged right into this book. Once again I am really enjoying the excellent storytelling and the details that I'd forgotten. Most of all, however, I love being immersed in this world and adventure.
Ryan
Transitional second book, the way The Empire Strikes Back moves from the first to the third but doesn't really make a name for itself. Ingold and Rudy head off on what turns out to be a very long, cold, horrible-sounding journey across an eternal likeness of the Midwest, looking for the hidden city of Quo so they can get help against the Dark. Rudy learns more about being a wizard, discovering much of the mundane parts. Gil remains at the Keep, and while she is learning to fight (and does quite ...more
Douglas Cook
Couldn't put this series down.

First sentences
PROLOGUE GIL PATTERSON THOUGHT HER vision of the strange city was all a dream—until the wizard Ingold Inglorion appeared one night in her kitchen, seeking a place to bring the infant Prince of Dare from the ancient horror that was attacking the city of Gae. Rudy Solis didn’t believe in wizards and magic—even when he saw Ingold emerge, with an infant in his arms, beside the place where Rudy had stopped to fix his car. But when one of the monstrous, evi
Wealhtheow
Part two of the Darwath trilogy, which was written in the early eighties. Rudy and Gil are still trapped in a medieval fantasy realm on the verge of complete collapse. A tiny portion of the population is holed up in the Keep of Dere, a mysterious black keep built before recorded history. The social order is slowly collapsing, which makes the power struggles all the more vicious. Rudy and the powerful wizard Ingold set out to get help from the remaining wizards, while Gil and Queen Minalde remain ...more
Libby
This second installment of the Darwath 'Trilogy' (in much the same way the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is a trilogy) is a romping adventure. The first book, The Time of the Dark, is so intense and fraught with terror, that I love this second book because it simply gives us a bit of a breather.

The intensity of our two main heroes' first introduction to the realm of Darwath is rubbed raw, and we can see them setting into their roles in their new (temporary) home. We get to know the ci
Betsy
...the saga continues...

Various journeys take place and we learn more about our characters: Gil and Rudy of course, but also Ingold and Alde. (I'm actually most intrigued by Alde's journey as she's struggling to pull herself out from underneath her brother's thumb. I'm hoping for great things from her. And I adore the friendship between her and Gil.) The world gets a bit bigger as we learn more details about the various peoples of the Realm (and a bit beyond). The mystery gets a bit deeper as w
Nikki
Wizards, Queens, parallel worlds, viking-like warriors, dragons, mammoths and scary Dark Ones...this book has it all and then some and it just works. I don't know how I ever missed this series as a teen because I read a lot of fantasy back then, but I'm glad I ran across it now. Barbara Hambly has created a very interesting world with likable characters and fantastic world-building.

This is the 2nd book in her Darwath Trilogy and I see a lot of people describe this a a "transitional 2nd book" an
James Kirk
I love this series. It was written in the '80s, but I can't believe I had never encountered it until now. I'm happy to say that this second book is nearly as satisfying as the first, "The Time of the Dark". While not "serious" fiction, this guilty pleasure fantasy provides enough character development, plot strands, and adventure to keep me interested. I can't wait to finish this trilogy!
Kris
In book 2 of the Dawath trilogy the action shifts from book one which was all about establishing the world, the characters , and the problems they are dealing with to beginning the resolution process. I learn more about each of the characters as well as the world they live in and the author begins to peel back some of the onion as I realize the main plot thread is not as straight forward as it first appeared to be. Hambly also does a deeper dive into the main characters lives which also moves th ...more
Katie Bee
My favorite characters are Gil and Minalde. I'm not really a fan of either of their romantic relationships, though.
Selene
En este nuevo libro, vemos como se separan los caminos de los protagonistas. Ingold y Rudy, que se ha convertido en el aprendiz de Ingold, se dirigen hacia la ciudad de Quo en busca de noticias de los magos que allí habitan. Mientras Jill que se ha unido a la guardia, con la ayuda de la reina Minalde, hace uso de sus conocimientos como historiadora para contestar a preguntas tales como ¿quién y cómo se construyó la torre de Dare? ¿Por qué atacaron los Seres Oscuros y qué los hizo retirarse en ti ...more
Pam Hooper
I love this series. It incorporates the human fear of the dark, the dream of a world where even the most outcast of us can find a place, magic, high adventure, the heroes journey, strong characters, strong female characters, love, and more.

This book was not as strong as the other two in the series. It was the workhorse driving the action. It is the book where things did not always work out the way you might like and the happy endings looked as though they might fall apart.
Kennyo
Picking up where Time of the Dark ended, The Walls of Air continues the tale with the same excellent storytelling of the first volume. The characters remain the same people they were in the earlier volume, something untrue about some series. If you enjoyed Time you'll enjoy Walls.
Matthew
The Darwath trilogy continues, as our heroes search for a way to defeat the evil forces of the Dark. Perhaps I was just a bit caught up in the story, but I felt that the ending was a bit abrupt. Still, it's a fantastic book, and the story really absorbed my attention.
Jaime
The Darwath Trilogy has been in my top five book series for as long as I can remember. I have read them so many times I could probably say the books from memory. The writing and the story are amazing. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy.
Mary Lauer
This one went a bit faster than the first one (of course, these are re-reads because I read them back when they were first published ...). You can tell she is finding her feet in these books, compared to the Windrose Chronicles.
Mary
I liked this trilogy... Each book is a good stand alone... Not necessary to have read the previous book... Well written... Interesting story.. I would recommend it to other sci fi enthusiasts...
Sasha
Barbara Hambly continues to enthrall me with the lives in Darwath. I couldn't put it down as I was captivated by the idea of what was to come next. Anxiously moving on to the next book.
Aaron
Interesting concepts, and Hambly does well with society/characters dealing with massive social change and upheaval. A different fantasy to be sure.
Mary
Reread in 2014.

Book 2 of one of my favorite trilogies of all time.
Helen
intense, doesn't gloss over hardships that make heroism greater
Marilyn
Just could not get into this book, skimmed most of it,
Mel
Please see my review of "The Time of the Dark".
Jonathan
She has a thing for dashing older men.
  • Saint Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #2)
  • The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story (Lost Swords, #2)
  • Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3)
  • The Master (Time Master, #3)
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • The Paladin
  • The Quest for Tanelorn (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #3)
  • The Grey Horse
  • Lythande (Thieves World)
  • A Man Rides Through
  • Caught in Crystal (Lyra #4)
  • The Anvil of Ice (Winter of the World, #1)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...

Darwath (5 books)
  • The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1)
  • The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)
  • Mother of Winter (Darwath #4)
  • Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath #5)
Children of the Jedi (Star Wars) Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1) The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)