3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  14,318 ratings  ·  1,465 reviews
Bestselling novelist Carl Hiaasen is back with another hysterical mystery adventure for young readers, set in the Florida Keys.

You know it's going to be a rough summer when you spend Father's Day visiting your dad in the local lockup.

Noah's dad is sure that the owner of the Coral Queen casino boat is flushing raw sewage into the harbor–which has made taking a dip at the...more
Published August 14th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

Night by Elie WieselHoles by Louis SacharSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonCut by Patricia McCormickDune by Frank Herbert
Titles of Only One Syllable
50th out of 367 books — 106 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothCorpalism by Arun D. EllisThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
Fav books of all time!!!!
188th out of 298 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren
Mar 16, 2008 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Flush is a very good book it shows what people could risk for animals and nature. The boy in this book has a Dad that has been in jail many times when he was trying to protect wildlife. Wach him take a step while his dad is in jail and to prove that his dad is right.
Lars Guthrie
You might come to ‘Flush’ with two preconceptions.

Carl Hiaasen writes adult thrillers with a satirical tenor, often featuring characters from the trailer trash end of the social spectrum. So it’s likely that his children’s books will retain a bit of that edge.

Those adult thrillers, and Hiaasen’s books for younger readers, focus on environmentalism, so it’s likely that ‘Flush’ centers on that kind of issue.

Your preconceptions would be proven true.

The tone of ‘Flush’ is sardonic. It features a ba...more
Carmen Tryka
Andrea
Aug 01, 2011 Andrea added it
After reading Hoot, I couldn't resist reading all of Carl Hiassen's young adult fiction for myself. I blew through this book in two nights. Absolutely fantastic! Another tale of environmental activism by young people and how it changes the world around them. I want to read this to my son before he loses that "I can do ANYTHING!" feeling that only the young and unscarred possess.

The book starts with Noah visiting his father in jail. He's there because he sank a casino boat after finding out that,...more
Lexi
Caitlin L
I recently finished, "Flush" by: Carl Hiaasen. It starts out kind of slow, but the more you read, the more you want to know! "Flush" is about a curious, determined boy, Noah Underwood, his tough, persistent sister Abbey, and their peculiar father who will stand up for anything that he thinks is right. Noah's dad gets put in jail for sinking skinflint Dusty Muleman's casino boat, The Coral Queen. Noah's dad didn't do this for no good reason at all, the truthful reason is that he thinks Dusty is f...more
Valerie
I thought this book had one of the most brilliant opening lines of any YA book. I read it aloud to #1 son, and he snatched the book from my hands and proceeded through Hoot as well.
Dean
Flush is like Greenpeace meets CSI. Basically, a boat is dumping its waste into the ocean and Noah, the main character, tries to figure out who is doing it. It’s a book with a political agenda and an environmental agenda, something that typically does not work, but it works well here. One other thing I can relate to is that Noah, the kid, is the one who is rational and calm, the dad is the unstable one. Something I can relate to, being the dad myself. Also, whenever I try to finish number one, I...more
Nathan Sapal
I liked this book. I was fairly entertained by it and everything that happened in it.

The story started with boy named Noah Underwood who lives a easy life in the Florida Keys with his family. Then suddenly his dad goes to jail, while visiting him in jail he finds out that his dad went to jail for sinking a gambling boat called "The Coral Queen". His dad did this because he find out that the boat was dumping their sewage into the marine, and so his dad told him and shoe was all for taking down "...more
Alex Murphy
If this is his first into the kids genre then I understand it's flaws, I do not forgive them but I understand. If this is not his first kids book then he totally messed up on this one. His crassness is unnecessary, and his approach to things like murder and alcoholism was ham handed. His other two that I've read were better and if you are a kid and you have a super love for Hiaasen then I guess go ahead and read this, but don't make this your first.

A boy and his sister are trying to prove that...more
Noah
Flush was a book about a boy around the age of 14 who's name is Noah. Noah's dad is in jail because his dad sunk a ship. This ship was no ordinary ship, this ship was dumping all of its waste and fecal matter into the ocean at night when nobody was around to notice, accept Noah's dad. He sunk the ship to stop the waste from building up in the sea. Throughout the book Noah and his family stand up against injustice and do what they can to make a change.
I can connect this book to HOOT by the same...more
Carol Baldwin
FLUSH: An Example of What Every Book Should Include

I can't help myself. Whenever I read a book I'm always analyzing how the author pulls it off. How does he or she weave together the different elements needed to produce an engaging book for young readers?

My recent read, FLUSH by Carl Hiaasen, is a great example of this type of book. It has:

A great beginning that hooks the reader

The deputy told me to empty my pockets: two quarters, a penny, a stick of bubble gum, and a roll of grip tape for my s...more
Pearl Mayfield
Flush Book Review
So, it all starts off with Noah Underwood visiting his dad in jail. Noah's dad sunk a ship called the,"Coral Queen" because a man named Dusty Mulemen- owner of the,"Coral Queen"- has been dumping human waste from his boat at night when no one can find out to save money. Noah's dad steps into place and sneaks in and sinks the ship. The police find out and he is sent to jail.
Now, it's up to Noah and Abbey- his little sister- to stop this. Since there are so many ships anchored by...more
Tmschade
By: Carl Hiassen
263 pages

Summary:
When Noah's dad goes a little too far, will Noah put some sense into him and serve justice as well?

Passage P. 43 Pa. 1-2
When Dad saw that, he sort of freaked. He beached the skiff, took out his tarpon gaff, and flattened every single tire-I think there were, like, eight of them-on the Carmichael's RV. Then he put the two labradors in his boat and went fishing.
The sheriff's deputies were waiting on the dock by the end of the day. My father confessed right...more
Karissa
I read Hoot by Hiaasen and absolutely loved it, so I was excited to continue on with Hiaasen's middle grade series and read this book. I didn't like Flush quite as much as Hoot, there just wasn't as much mystery. That being said it was still a very good and entertaining book; it touches heavily on environmentalism, corrupt business practice, and family issues.

Noah Underwood's father has sunk a gambling ship and been thrown in jail. Noah's dad is positive that the gambling ship is emptying sewage...more
Lisa
Flush came to my attention because a professor at the community college where I work was looking for a novel that dealt with the environment, but that would not be too difficult for some of his low-level readers. Although I had not read it at the time, we decided that the reviews made Flush sound like the right book for the job. The novel follows two teens, Noah and Abby, who are trying to expose a casino boat owner who they believe is dumping the casino's septic waste into the local beach to sa...more
Stephany
When Noah Underwood's father is sent to prison for sinking a casino boat that he believes to be dumping waste tanks into the ocean, Noah decides to help his father prove his suspicions. Noah and his siter, Abbey, get into all kinds of trouble as they attempt to prove that their father is sane and telling the truth, while keeping the owner of the boat from polluting the ocean around their home in the Florida Keys.

I really enjoyed this book because it was filled with action and suspense. Noah, Abb...more
D.C.
I liked this a bit better than Hoot. Pretty much identical plots, but Hiassen narrates much better in first person, and the wacky, over-the-top edge drew me in like a magnet. I liked the wit and realism, with much deeper meaning behind the whole thing. Conclusion: for a non-mystery fan, I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it.
Monique
i choose this book because it seemed like a good book. its fiction but probly could happen. it takes place in keys california i think. the main character is named noah. noahs dad goes to jail because he tryed to sink a boat that was dumping sewadge in the ocean which your not supose to do. noahs dad (paine) goes to jail for it because he doesnt have proof that dusty is dumping sewadge in the ocean. the problem is that dusty is doing this and he is friends with the coast gard so he doesnt get cau...more
Brianna
A short message from my 10 year old self: This is an amazing book about the environment. When a man get's caught dumping human waste into the ocean by the young boy Noah's father, Noah's father, Mr. Underwood goes to jail for getting back at him for all the turtles, dolphins and fish that live in the waters there. Unfortunately, after months in jail, Mr. Underwood gives up in trying to stop the criminal, but that doesn't stop Noah. He want's to keep the family name clean, not dirty. Will one boy...more
Eileen
This is the third of Hiaasen's YA novels that I've read (after Scat & Hoot) -- I just love them. They're not as wild and funny as his adult fiction, but I enjoy them all the same, and it's nice that they only take a couple of hours to read. Can't wait until I can share them with my kids.

As with all of Hiaasen's YA novels, this one deals with villainous Floridians who are destroying the environment, the plucky kids who won't let them get away with it, and the quirky grown-ups who help them.

Ryan Gormican
I think this is a wonderful book by Carl Hiaasen. This book has a little bit of everything from a little action to mystery to some drama! It's a book for everyone to read and enjoy. It will keep you on you're toes! I couldn't put it down for one minute until I was done!

This book starts of in a gloomy setting of the main character Noah Underwood visiting his father in a cell on fathers day. He has been arrested for sinking the prized Casino boat of the Coral Queen. His dad sees the boat at night...more
Laurel
What a fantastic little book! I sincerely do no remember Young Adult fiction being this good when I was a kid. A good ole' mystery, pitting two kids against an evil water polluting millionaire. A beautiful blonde gets involved, as does a pirate, seagulls and manatees. Trust me, it's well written and an absolute hoot! I read the entire thing n a day and will now buy more Hiaasen books on sight. Great read!
Josephine
This is a good book for readers who like books about the environment and realistic fiction, but honestly it can be for anyone. My favorite genre is fantasy and I loved it. At times you can connect to the characters but it also introduces new scenarios like having a dad in jail multiple times or having to deal with a horrible man who is dumping waste into the ocean.
Gisselle Santana
I thought Flush by Carl Hiaasen was a very good book because it was a very fascinating story. This book is about Noah and Abbey Underwood trying to get their father out of jail and to clear his name. Mr. Underwood was put in jail because he sunk a casino boat named the "Carol Queen," because he thinks the owner of the boat, Dusty Muleman is flushing human waste into the water. When that happened Noah and Abbey planed to catch Dusty Muleman red-handed. They needed help to do so, so then they seek...more
Sammy
At first, I thought it would be a very exciting book. It DID turn out good, but it wasn't the greatest book ever, because some parts were kind of repeated over and over again. I would say Carl Hiaasen's first-ever-written book "Hoot" was better then this. But it was still a great book!
Jahan K.
What was interesting about the book?
I particularly found the authors writing style very interesting as I found it to be a combination of scrutiny and vivid imagination. I enjoyed the way the novel was written and how the author’s imagination unfolded as the novel progressed on. I personally love the authors other books as well thus I was interested in reading from the start.

What did you like about the book?
I loved the fact that the very little details mattered so much in the events that took...more
Julia Reynolds
Hiaasen has this way with writing super high-stakes stories in a friendly, not scary, no worries, everyone will get out ok way. And as an adult, I find it really frustrating. The world isn’t like that. As a kid, I read Boxcar Children and A Series of Unfortunate Events and even Narnia that all put kids in danger but held your hand the whole way, made sure they were going to be ok, etc. So I guess it’s good. This one’s about a bad sleazy gambling-boat owner who is dumping his sewage straight into...more
GaBBy
Feb 28, 2008 GaBBy added it
this book was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good
Dotty
Paine Underwood is a hero but he’s in jail for sinking a casino boat that’s illegally dumping sewage in the bay. His kids, Noah and Abbey set a trap to prove their dad is innocent. The trap is as simple as flushing a toilet, again and again and again.
this book 8 61 Apr 06, 2013 06:34AM
  • Chicken Boy
  • Wild Wings
  • Storm Warriors
  • Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life
  • Fish
  • I Am Not Joey Pigza (Joey Pigza, #4)
  • Miracle on 49th Street
  • No More Dead Dogs
  • Diamonds in the Shadow
  • The School Story
  • All of the Above
  • Project Mulberry
  • Peak
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
  • Listening for Lions
  • A House of Tailors
  • Al Capone Shines My Shoes (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #2)
  • Small Steps (Holes, #2)
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida, where he still lives with his family. After graduating from the University of Florida, he began writing for the Miami Herald. As a journalist and author, Carl has spend most of his life advocating the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family still live southern Florida.
More about Carl Hiaasen...
Hoot Skinny Dip Bad Monkey Sick Puppy Nature Girl

“and in the meantime don't jump to conclusions.” 8 likes
“Please don't grow up to be one of those men who lie for the sport of it, and most men do. That's a fact. That's why the world is so messed up, Noah. That's why history books are full of so much heartache, and tragedy. Politicians, dictators, kings, phoney-baloney preachers-most of 'em are men, and most of 'em lie like rugs” 5 likes