The Happy Hocky Family! (Viking Kestrel Picture Books)

The Happy Hocky Family! (The Happy Hocky Family)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  76 reviews
A simple and funny story about the happy Hocky family. The sentence structure is simple and repetitive, whilst the story is hilarious. The Hocky family live a simple life, interspersed with visits from their Cousin Stinky. The award-winning author/illustrator also wrote "The Big Pets".
Published September 1st 1993 by Viking Juvenile

Richard
I read this book. Did you read this book? It made me very happy.
Emily
This book is so special, I just had to create a whole new shelf for it.

We passed through Niantic today, had lots of store credit to burn at the Book Barn, and two small boys eating too many free donuts (the small "chocolate" coated ones that taste like wax). It was time to go, but I spotted this, vaguely remembered reading it in the 90s and finding it funny, grabbed it and got us out of there. Later at home, with the boys asleep, I had the chance to look over my purchases more leisurely and rere...more
Monica Edinger
Seems to me parody is most successful when the audience knows the object being parodied. My students know their early readers so this book is hilarious for them.
Kathy
"Grandma smells like flowers. Lots and lots of flowers."

"Toys? What is toys?"
Treasa
Meet the Hocky Family! There are 6 of them in all - Mr, Mrs, Henry, Holly, Baby, and Newton. They are a pretty normal family with chores to do and trips to the zoo and toys to play with. And even when things go wrong in this family, everyone manages to stay happy!

I found this book oddly amusing, but I don't think I could ever read it to a child. The humor seems a little grown-up for most young children. They might find parts of it funny, but some parts are just too morbid or sophisticated to ent...more
Tess
This book changed the way I speak English.

Find it. Read it out loud to as many people as will let you. Take public transportation and read it to commuters.

It is my favorite kids book ever.
Jessica
this made me snort and have to cross my legs from not peeing laughing, maybe it was just the right moment- nope it was that funny.
Karen
I love this book so much, I can't believe I haven't reviewed it until now. Making up for that oversight right now.

I have owned this book since 1993, when I was unmarried and not even thinking about having kids or becoming a children's librarian. I bought several copies of this book and gave them out to my adult friends as gifts. About half of my friends thought the book was great; the other half just thought I was really weird.

I love every little vignette in this book, but my absolute favorite...more
Heika
Nov 16, 2008 Heika rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heika by: Mandie
This is the funniest little kids book. I laugh so hard everytime I read it.
Annie
ok, so maybe this is the best book i've ever read.
Laura G
This is one of my al time favorite kid's books! It is especially fun for the adult reader. I need to pick up a few more copies to give as gifts. It always makes me giggle!
Beth

This is one of those books you just have to read to understand the experience. This story isn't necessarily a story, but more like a series of different vignettes on each page. Each vignette is either interactive in some way or asks kids to make some inferences or ask questions of what's going on in the scene. It's one of those books that teachers can read aloud and undoubtedly kids will be picking the book back up to dig deeper into the subtler aspects of the story and illustrations.
Amar Pai
Repetitive, but half-way through I realized it's all jokes. They're not the funniest jokes in the world but they're pitched at adults more than kids, and I was in the right mood for it. Sample joke: kid is responsible for ants, they want 'air', kid opens the 'window' letting the ants out, ruins the new kitchen, which is presented as a learn-to-read type deal-- "SEE the new kitchen. SHINY. NEW. SEE it" etc etc with ants crawling everywhere. I guess you had to be there
Arminzerella
Funny, but not as funny as I was led to believe. I had high expectations. It has some good moments. This is like Dick and Jane, but snarky.

Excerpt:

Chores: Quiz #1
Today was Holly's day to do the laundry. See if you can match the pocket items before and after the dryer. [before items include a crayon, dime, penny, army figure, piece of candy, ticket, piece of gum] [after items include a penny, a dime, and several indistinct blackish blobs]
Sarah B.
This is a sarcastic book in the style of Dick and Jane. The illustrations are lushly retro, and the story is quite clever. But young children will not understand the humour, so I wouldn't say it is appropriate to read aloud to a child, unless you're willing to stop and explain each joke. It's definitely aimed at adults, probably especially those who had to toil through Dick and Jane-style readers when they were young. Cute, but not worth it.
Janelle
Jan 27, 2008 Janelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone - especially if you need a good laugh
Recommended to Janelle by: the speaker at Mount Hermon's Ponderosa Camp
Shelves: children, humor
Vicki
Kinda twisted humor for a children's picture book! I don't know whether children would get it; let's just say that I read it with a couple of parent volunteers in the school library and we were in stitches! It's a little "Dick and Jane" with a liberal dose of the real world. I guess you could say that it teaches you to have a positive attitude in the end.
Heidi
Not what I expected, but I enjoyed the laughs. Text-wise, this could go for an early reader. That age may or may not get the humor, depending on if they take time to think of what they read as well as look at the illustrations. Enjoyable. I still think a good choice for "a family book" to have out for "Things You Love" storytime, even if I don't read it.
Carol Pardon
twisted and funny. my 2 favorite things! just my kind of kid book!
Tara
Not really for kids AND that's the best part! A hilariously wacky, sarcastic take on old fashioned primers. I bought this with the notion of reading it to my kids when they were old enough to appreciate it. Found it hiding on the bookshelf the other day. The 8th grader finds it as funny as I do! Joy!
Jeremiah
This may be the most bizzare and hilarious children't books I've ever read. My wonderful wife introduced it to me and we read it together on occasion just to laugh out loud. I should note that the reader has to be a little weird already or you'll probably dislike the book altogether.
Mari
I love this one. I was a new librarian not long aftr it came out and I LOVED sharing it with elementary school age kids, 1st grade and up. One of my favorite things about it was that I could show older kids that there are picture books for them, not just for preschool aged kiddos.
Kwoomac
A typical children's early reader, much like dick and jane, but with a twist. Balloons pop, pets get eaten by crocodiles, birthdays are disappointing, and the whole family hides when relatives pop in. I'm not sure an actual child would find this funny, but who cares !
Pasigmond
One of my favorite children's books. The humor doesn't appeal to some folks, but for me, each vignette is a slice of sibling/family pranks one could only dream of committing. It reminds of the "Jack" stories from Jack Gantos, just for younger readers. LOVE IT!
David
This book is hysterically funny. A subtle, sarcastic, subversive satire and parody of easy readers. The book design is excellent and Lane Smith is his usual clever, witty self. For kids who know easy readers and can appreciate the humor, and for adults too.
Dolly
Aug 04, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
The simple block illustrations and short sentence narrative screams "beginning reader." But unlike "Dick and Jane" books, there is a subtle, almost wicked humor throughout this book. It's funny, and yet great for new readers and parents alike.
Susan
This book would work for me if catagorized as an adult book satirizing children's book, unfortunately it is just on the shelf as a regular picture book and therefore enters my category of books written by adults being clever.
Cami
Lane Smith=Awesome

A fun and clever book that will delight young children with its simplicity, slightly older children with its "thinking moments" and even older children with its cleverness.

This adult liked it a lot.
Becky
It's been a while since I read this, but I remember thinking it was hilarious. Makes fun of the Dick and Jane/Goofus and Gallant type of stories, but you may not realize it, since there is no explanation. Dark humor.
Snorkle
Hands down, this is one of the best children's books I have ever read. I love how Lane Smith has illustrated and how delightfully funny and sweet it is. This is a totally awesome book, check it out today.
  • Cowboy and Octopus
  • Big Plans
  • Ugly Fish
  • Can I Play Too?
  • Princess Hyacinth (The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated)
  • Cecil the Pet Glacier
  • Guess Again!
  • Are You A Horse?
  • The Way Back Home
  • Every Friday
  • The Sweetest Fig
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • M.O.M. (Mom Operating Manual)
  • The Dragon Prince: A Chinese Beauty & the Beast Tale
  • Trashy Town
  • Betty Bunny Didn't Do It
  • The Big Orange Splot
Smith was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but moved to Corona, California at a young age. He spent summers in Tulsa, however, and cites experiences there as inspirations for his work, saying that "[o]nce you've seen a 100-foot cement buffalo on top of a donut-stand (sic) in the middle of nowhere, you're never the same."

He studied art in college at the encouragement of his high school art teacher, helping...more
More about Lane Smith...
It's a Book Grandpa Green John, Paul, George & Ben Abe Lincoln's Dream Madam President